As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superhero Thread - New Avengers Trailer is Out, Shit Looks Dope [Superheroes]

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    transformers character design is nega-appealing to me

i haven't yet found out how much praise is necessary for me to check one of the comics out. maybe if every post for thirteen pages was about how good transformers is and then someone hit me in the head with an omnibus of em

I miss Antimatter

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I don't know

Transformers in any form is super-unappealing

But Bay's versions are somehow even more boring than the other ones

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

i haven't yet found out how much praise is necessary for me to check one of the comics out. maybe if every post for thirteen pages was about how good transformers is and then someone hit me in the head with an omnibus of em

I miss Antimatter

that her unparalleled transformers passion couldn't get me to pick up an issue is a testament to the absolute incompatibility of my eyes and transformers' character design

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I don't know

I felt like those at least got the point of "alien robot" across

They're not great but they're better than men made out of different colored cardboard boxes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I was born in the mid80s. For some reason, I never really got into those cartoons. I was Ghostbusters, all the way, but not really any of the others.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Beast Wars best wars.

Anything else Transformer related is boring by comparison.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Column wrote: »
    Beast Wars best wars.

but what about beast machiiieeengnghghhgh where is all THIS BLOOD COMING FROM

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Beast Wars best wars.

Having not seen much of either, I think the problem with Beast Machines is that it was deliberately written not to have continuity with Beast Wars, but still had continuity with Beast Wars. If it had been truly standalone it wouldn't have been so bad.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    TF Animated was super good.

The current comics are the single-best Transformers fiction ever produced, bar none.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    the MTMTE designs are very boring to me but at least they aren't the bay designs. those are just fuckin' ugly

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Beast Wars best wars.

Having not seen much of either, I think the problem with Beast Machines is that it was deliberately written not to have continuity with Beast Wars, but still had continuity with Beast Wars. If it had been truly standalone it wouldn't have been so bad.

Yeah, shitting all over beloved characters sure didn't help

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I miss Antimatter

She's still writing a lot about Transformers (and a bunch of other stuff) over at Women Write About Comics

http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2014/06/24/placeholder-rachel-stevens-transformers-politics-guest-post/
    http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2014/07/10/human-after-all-representation-of-people-in-idws-transformers/
    http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2014/08/29/science-fictional-and-fantastic-the-universe-of-idws-transformers/

• Options
    Beast Wars best wars.

Beast Wars = Robot gorilla has three transformation modes, one being a travel mode with a hoverboard. He uses this to fight a mecha-dragon. Other stuff happens along the way.

Beast Machines = No more hoverboarding gorilla.

It's very clear where they went wrong.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I was born in the mid80s. For some reason, I never really got into those cartoons. I was Ghostbusters, all the way, but not really any of the others.

I was born

In a cross-fire hurricane

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Beast Wars best wars.

wait what

what do you mean, I thought it directly followed from the end of beast wars?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Beast Wars best wars.

What's funny is that this is basically the same core problem that the New 52 has with the Post-Crisis DC Universe.

Guess what Beast Machines and the New 52 have in common.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I was born

I lost an eye in the cross-fire war.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Beast Wars best wars.

Beast Wars = Robot gorilla has three transformation modes, one being a travel mode with a hoverboard. He uses this to fight a mecha-dragon. Other stuff happens along the way.

TRUKK MOT MUNKEY

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Beast Wars best wars.

TRUKK MOT MUNKEY
    No truck will ever drive the awesomeness that is Optimus Primal, the most optimal primate ever conceived, from my heart. And from being the best.

Column on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

I was born

I lost an eye in the cross-fire war.

That's what happens when you get caught up in the
    CROSS-FIRE

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Beast Wars best wars.

TRUKK MOT MUNKEY
    No truck will ever drive the awesomeness that is Optimus Primal, the most optimal primate ever conceived, from my heart. And from being the best.

Beast Wars has:

Optimus Primal
    Dinobot
    The smarmiest Megatron, who eventually got to transform into a dragon
    Waspinator

Also the best smack-talking New York accented rat since Rizzo.

Yeah Beast Wars is pretty great.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That was the best Megatron

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Beast Wars best wars.

wait what

what do you mean, I thought it directly followed from the end of beast wars?

Oh, it does. In terms of continuity it's treated as being in the same universe as and a continuation of Beast Wars.

But:
    tfwiki wrote:
    Mainframe Entertainment executive Dan DiDio explicitly told [story editors] Bob Skir and Marty Isenberg to ignore all previous Transformers cartoons when writing Beast Machines, because "Beast Wars was too continuity-heavy". It clearly did not work out that way.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DAN DIDIO
    it all makes sense

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Best Beastwars was the one with ghost Starscream. As someone who watched Gen 1 when it was new that was a holy shit moment to me.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    my favorite parts of Beast Wars was when Megatron and Tarantulas and Blackarachnia were going around stabbing each other in the back

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Beast Wars premiered when I was 6, so I was at the perfect age to be absolutely fucking enamoured with the whole thing, and I was! I had tons of those things! So did a few of my friends! It was great. Some of the G1 references didn't resonate with me until I was a bit older and picked that stuff up through osmosis, but it was still a rad show.

Some of that animation though... hoooooo boy :bigfrown:

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Oh man I found the first tv commercial for the toys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBa_XiROF4M

so good

• Options
    Speaking of Beastwars,

Reboot is still one of my favorite cartoons ever.

Cartoons I love equally, there is no order they are all at number one in my mind,

Reboot
    Duck Tales
    Darkwing Duck
    Tale Spin
    Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers
    Tiny Toons
    Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain
    Freakazoid
    Batman the Animated Series
    The Tick
    The Real Ghostbusters
    Back to the Future the cartoon

Everything newer than that stuff is on a lower level

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I was born

e b a

e b a

e b a

e b a

E B A

E B A

E B A

E B A

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I was talking to another teacher earlier about the greatness of the board game Thunderball Island.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I don't know

I felt like those at least got the point of "alien robot" across

They're not great but they're better than men made out of different colored cardboard boxes

The designs themselves are just a symptom of a greater issue of the movies, which is that the robots are really just secondary characters to the humans, who are surrounded by forgettable robots in forgettable action sequences fetishistizing all the things that Michael Bay thinks we want to see in movies.

Like, the second and third films have tons of robots in them, but I couldn't name more than a few because they're all just giant junkyard explosions that we're expected to accept as characters.

And, sadly, the most distinctive looking ones are probably the racist cartoon caricatures that appeared in Revenge of the Fallen.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Just got out of chappie screening.

@Antimatter you need to see this movie.

Everyone one needs to see it.

It's amazing

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I am so excited.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Alright, I can dig the new Hawkeye

• Options
    Just got out of chappie screening.

@Antimatter you need to see this movie.

Everyone one needs to see it.

It's amazing

wait but

chappie looks awful

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think Chappie looks fine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh man I love the premise of Princess Leia and I love her and Evaan together

This discussion has been closed.