As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else here grabbing the physical copy of Xenoblade Chronicles solely for the reason that it may very well be the only New 3DS cartridge ever made?

I'm not getting it physicaly for rarity, I'm getting it physically because I don't want to take up a quarter or more of my SD card.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, I was surprised to see the lil tour of my N3DS mention there's an SD in there at stock! Probably jes a GB or 2? How big are 3DS games in general? I'm used to near all digital with my Vita, but I'll probably be going mostly physical with this. Can't really get on Lady Raven's hella secure WiFi without a lot of hassle :p

ALSO HEY she got me this!

fxkelKj.jpg

Aaaaa <3

Oh brilliant
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I know I'm in the minority here but I thought TTYD was awful. Just boring as all get out. I hope they don't port it. Use those resources on something good.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    And people say my opinions are bad

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I don't even know how to respond. I'm in shock. I think I need an ambulance.

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Heretic!

How long did you play it, BTW? I even found it hard to go back to the N64 one after TTYD. I liked PM64, but not as much as other people. I still bought it the second I saw a used cart at a store, heh.

Needless to say, I hope they make a new one instead. I already have a non-Players Choice, non-Best Seller version and I'm happy with it.

RockinX on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I still haven't played a single Paper Mario game to this day, even though I know I'd love them.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    And people say my opinions are bad

You probably didn't like the game either and you just said that to get a dig in at someone else for a change, even though you agree with him. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    Heretic!

How long did you play it, BTW? I even found it hard to go back to the N64 one after TTYD. I liked PM64, but not as much as other people. I still bought it the second I saw a used cart at a store, heh.

Needless to say, I hope they make a new one instead. I already have a non-Players Choice, non-Best Seller version and I'm happy with it.

I played it start to finish. I don't not give Mario a chance. Alas, the game felt padded and repetitive. Mostly I blame the battle system. I never felt particularly engaged by it.

I enjoy the Mario & Luigi games considerably more.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I couldn't get very far in TTYD because I found the characters too obnoxious. I don't know if the gameplay was any good. Didn't get far enough.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    So I guess there was a rumor that Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door may be coming to 3DS. I don't believe it personally

Pretty much everything they say in that Game Xplain video is an opinion I 100% agree with.

To summarize:
    • This is fake.
    • But it's something Nintendo should actually consider doing.
    • Either this or a Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door HD remake for Wii U, which would be even better.
    • Or a Paper Mario Collection that also includes HD remakes of Paper Mario and Super Paper Mario, which would be even better than that.
    • Or an actual new game in the series, which would be even better than that.
    • But whatever Nintendo does with this series going forward, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door should be the mechanical foundation of it, because it is the best and most beloved entry.
    • And Paper Mario: Sticker Star was bad.

Sticker Star was definitely not the best paper mario game but it was far from the worst game I've played in the last couple years.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Blech, this GameStop brand charger might be butts! Stopped charging halfway through, took a couple attempts at replugging it for it to start up again.

...bleh. Guess this messed up the initial charge. If that's still a thing. ;p

Oh brilliant
    Blech, this GameStop brand charger might be butts! Stopped charging halfway through, took a couple attempts at replugging it for it to start up again.

1) you bought a gamestop branded charger. You kind of get what you deserve.

2) battery memory has not been a thing for a very long time. You haven't done any damage at all to the new device.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Its the only charger I could get, since I didn't know if I could get the MMN3DS until the minute I got it. :p

Not my fault they didn't put an official one in the box!

Oh brilliant
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

The 3ds comes with a half charge.. maybe it was just done charging?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Also, when my 3DS is sitting on the charger and full, if I unplug and replug it, the orange light will come on for about 5 seconds before turning off again. This is completely normal behavior.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Nah, it was busted. Like, flickering off and on, and when I unplugged it, 3DS was down to half charge again. Swapped it for an official one, was super easy actually!

Was just looking at grabbing a screen protector. The HORI one for the N3DSXL is out of stock, natch. Their old 3DSXL screen protectors are still in stock - feel dumb for asking, but does the New 3DS XL possibly share screen size with the old one? :P

Oh brilliant
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else here grabbing the physical copy of Xenoblade Chronicles solely for the reason that it may very well be the only New 3DS cartridge ever made?

I'm getting it because I just don't want it to be like the Wii version, and be impossible to find. Rather have it to be safe, and I'll pick up a new 3DS later.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Didn't see it mentioned but the TTYD thing was super fake. Author of it apparently fessed up.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'm getting it because I just don't want it to be like the Wii version, and be impossible to find. Rather have it to be safe, and I'll pick up a new 3DS later.

I'm actually getting TWO copies for that reason, one just to sell later on to pay for the first copy. And I don't even have the New 3DS either!

Woo, turns out the old 3DSXL has the same screen size, ordered a good ol' HORI for it. :D

HEY complicated question! So the 3DS is region locked. IIRC, the DS was not? Will the new (?) region lock extend backwards? Can my NA N3DS only play NA DS games, or could it play my EU ones too?

Oh brilliant
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Woo, turns out the old 3DSXL has the same screen size, ordered a good ol' HORI for it. :D

HEY complicated question! So the 3DS is region locked. IIRC, the DS was not? Will the new (?) region lock extend backwards? Can my NA N3DS only play NA DS games, or could it play my EU ones too?

If I understand it right, only games that were DSi titles will be region locked. So the vast majority of the catalog should run just fine.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Any DS games that were region free on the DS are region free on 3DS.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    No the region lock doesn't extend backwards.

99% of DS games are region free.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Okay, just got a 64g microSD card for my eventual n3DS. It has a regular SD adapter.

After I format it and drag the contents of my current 32g SD card over, can I use the 64g card in my regular 3DS long term with the adapter? Wasn't sure if it was meant for constant use or just a quick transfer, never used one before.

uyvfOQy.png
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Okay, just got a 64g microSD card for my eventual n3DS. It has a regular SD adapter.

After I format it and drag the contents of my current 32g SD card over, can I use the 64g card in my regular 3DS long term with the adapter? Wasn't sure if it was meant for constant use or just a quick transfer, never used one before.

It should be fine for long term use. Rarely the adapters aren't quite snug enough and devices will randomly think the SD card is unplugged (which would definitely be bad mid-game) but I think we even have someone on these forums that used a microsd adapter in their regular 3DS

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I mean, even the dsi had 3 exclusive games
    and the new3ds is a product that has a compelling reason to exist/buy for original model owners, which isn't something that can be said of the dsi

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Shadowfire wrote: »

As I said last page, I nearly guarantee that it won't. The conditions are so supremely different from the Wii version's release that barring a mass landfilling of most of the copies before they hit stores, the major marketing of this one by Nintendo along with NOT being retailer exclusive this time around will ensure plenty of supply.

Edit: Matter of fact I'd go so far as to say there will probably even be bundle deals down the road with it to push sales of N3DS systems.

Donnicton on
    It will never be impossible to find because you can just buy it on the eShop.

Maz- wrote: »

You don't own digital versions, you own a license to play it. Some people have an issue with that.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

FYI @Reynolds, as someone who recently went through the process of formatting a 64GB card for the N3DS, check out my saga on page 9 to potentially save yourself a headache:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/32076803/#Comment_32076803

camo_sig2.png

You don't own digital versions, you own a license to play it. Some people have an issue with that.

Also, being available digitally does not really impact the value of a physical version as much as you would think it would.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Also, being available digitally does not really impact the value of a physical version as much as you would think it would.

Also also blah blah blah account system blah blah blah. I hate to be "that guy" but it's such a hurdle. It's one that Nintendo at least seems to be addressing but it's not here now, nor will it be next week or next month.

That being said, I have no idea where the faith in the physical version being plentiful comes from considering Nintendo has not done anything in recent times (nor with Xenoblade the original) to engender any good will where producing physical copies of things and getting them in stores is concerned. Maybe this will be different! I will, however, believe it when I see it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

Also also blah blah blah account system blah blah blah. I hate to be "that guy" but it's such a hurdle. It's one that Nintendo at least seems to be addressing but it's not here now, nor will it be next week or next month.

That being said, I have no idea where the faith in the physical version being plentiful comes from considering Nintendo has not done anything in recent times (nor with Xenoblade the original) to engender any good will where producing physical copies of things and getting them in stores is concerned. Maybe this will be different! I will, however, believe it when I see it.

Have there been any games recently that have been unusually hard to find?

Remember that the amiibo situation was largely due to the port strike.

Ocarina of Time 3D and Kid Icarus Uprising are no longer in production.

This is technically true of physical media as well. I know in practice this isn't really the case, but technically true.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

This is technically true of physical media as well. I know in practice this isn't really the case, but technically true.

Has it ever been tested in a court? I think they'd risk a judge's wrath if they tried.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Ocarina of Time 3D and Kid Icarus Uprising are no longer in production.

Someone in the Zelda thread said they couldn't find Wind Waker HD in any physical stores. Probably anecdotal, but all the same.

Edit: Also wasn't the Port Strike the reason for the Wave 3 issues only? Or are there boxes of Villagers, Marths, Little Macs and Pits just sorta hanging out there too?

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

Has it ever been tested in a court? I think they'd risk a judge's wrath if they tried.

http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk

Guy owned unopened physical CDs with a program on it, tried to sell them and the creator of the program had the auction pulled off eBay. They went to court and the court confirmed that, even though he had the physical item, the publisher still owned the program and could control who could use and/or sell it. If I'm remembering/reading everything right.

uyvfOQy.png

Ocarina of Time 3D goes for $50+ cart only on ebay. Although, that's Zelda fan predation and not necessarily because it's actually hard to find. (Zelda/Pokemon typically have this problem)

In terms of material rarity, if I were to say offhand I'd probably go with Class of Heroes 2G, since it was only ever available for physical order in a window of a few months directly from Mr. Ireland himself. (also it apparently never made it onto the PSN despite stated plans for a January posting, and Vic has never commented on that.)