As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Fantasy Life is the third most played game on my 3DS at 148 hours and 41 minutes. I think I did almost everything that's possible to do including the DLC.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Fantasy Life question:

Have you put in so many hours because the game is crazy long, or is it because you enjoy grinding out 100%, replaying, etc.?

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    I definitely intended to recommend it.
    I will admit the appeal is based on a sort of addictive cell-phone game there's always dozens of challenges and sidequests you can be working on, and almost anything you do will be popping off completion messages. The world and story are charming, and the combat mechanics enjoyable, but not deep. I can also see getting bored with it at some arbitrary point sooner or later once the sheen wears off, but for now it's doing a good job proving how effective the forest of dangling carrots can be.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    You can see the ending of Fantasy Life in 20-25 hours.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    You can see the ending of Fantasy Life in 20-25 hours.

Is that because you really play the game and not goof around for hours doing nothing?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    No, that's focusing on one job and doing all of the story elements. Doing every job to its end will take you another 100-200 hours.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Does Fantasy Life ever go on sale? Because you people have made me interested, but $40 is a bit hard to swallow.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've been messing around with the demo for the Etrian Odyssey 2 remake. There's some nice quality of life stuff for the mapmaking, mostly involving properly placed markers intelligently reacting to their state (chests show as closed or open, gather points light up when they're available, secret passages turn yellow once you've opened them). The class skillsets are also pretty neat.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Does Fantasy Life ever go on sale? Because you people have made me interested, but $40 is a bit hard to swallow.

Doesn't seem like it. It's $5 off on Amazon, but that's about it unless you go used or possibly some 3rd parties.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    Fantasy Life question:

Have you put in so many hours because the game is crazy long, or is it because you enjoy grinding out 100%, replaying, etc.?

I don't usually replay anything. My goal is generally to see everything possible in one single playthrough.

For example If there are multiple endings I save at the split point and play as fast as I can to the bad ending, then reload and play to the good ending, that sort of thing. Did that in Fallout New Vegas.

I just wanted to master all jobs in Fantasy Life and collect as much of the best gear as I could.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Yeah, I'm still hesitant to drop $40 on it.

• Options
    I got it as part of a bogo sale last year
    I had to stop taking it to work and playing it on lunch as I did not want to go back to work

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Other than a general lack of funds (something that I know too well), I can't see how 40 bucks for the huge amounts of game you get is a bad proposition...
    Of course, fantasy life is a game for a specific kind of gamer like me and Uncle Sporky, who wants to make all the cool gear and master all professions (by repetetitive tasks). If that doesn't appeal to you, no price is a good price for this game. It's like the best f2p game ever, only you get all the good stuff and get rid of all the timer/energy bullshit by paying 40 bucks upfront. It ends up being much cheaper.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MysfytMysfyt silly bookah Lion's Arch, TyriaRegistered User regular
    Other than a general lack of funds (something that I know too well), I can't see how 40 bucks for the huge amounts of game you get is a bad proposition...
    Of course, fantasy life is a game for a specific kind of gamer like me and Uncle Sporky, who wants to make all the cool gear and master all professions (by repetetitive tasks). If that doesn't appeal to you, no price is a good price for this game. It's like the best f2p game ever, only you get all the good stuff and get rid of all the timer/energy bullshit by paying 40 bucks upfront. It ends up being much cheaper.

Definitely agree. I don't know if I could recommend Fantasy Life to anybody looking for a good story or challenging combat. The story missions tend to be very, very easy, and I personally didn't feel the storyline was memorable. Combat is very basic. However, I'm one of those weirdos who finds doing mundane repetitive tasks in video games and filling up little progress bars cathartic and rewarding. In MMOs I love crafting and strongly dislike raiding, so it kinda feels like this game was made for me. ;)

3DS: 4167-5901-6785
  • Options
    It's like the best f2p game ever, only you get all the good stuff and get rid of all the timer/energy bullshit by paying 40 bucks upfront. It ends up being much cheaper.

Haha, all games are now F2P except we pay the premium up front and get all the content. We are all the whales.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    yeah.......
    That's a giant tease to people in NA more than anything

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Yeah, I'm still hesitant to drop $40 on it.

Do you see yourself playing a simple, slightly grindy MMO solo for dozens of hours? If yes, Fantasy Life could be for you! If not, maybe look elsewhere.

I mean, I had fun with it. But that's basically what it is.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    It's not that $40 is a big deal to me, I just hate dropping $40 on a game that I have no way of trying first. It looks like a game I would enjoy, but I don't know.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I assume that's a third-party cover plate? I wasn't aware anyone was making those yet.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Goddamn, Nintendo of Europe is absolutely killing it this generation. Best region confirmed.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    For some reason that tweet doesn't mention the stand-alone retail version without the NFC reader, but it definitely exists.

Goddamn, Nintendo of Europe is absolutely killing it this generation. Best region confirmed.

The game actually comes out in the US one week before Europe and NoA hasn't started tweeting yet today so they might still announce something, but don't let that stop you from whining.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    For some reason that tweet doesn't mention the stand-alone retail version without the NFC reader, but it definitely exists.

The game actually comes out in the US one week before Europe and NoA hasn't started tweeting yet today so they might still announce something, but don't let that stop you from whining.

I'd take my games a week late if it meant I could buy a N3DS. On top of that, Europe is getting a Super Mario Maker Console Bundle and an Amiibo Bundle, both of which the US is apparently not receiving as far as I can tell.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I'd take my games a week late if it meant I could buy a N3DS. On top of that, Europe is getting a Super Mario Maker Console Bundle and an Amiibo Bundle, both of which the US is apparently not receiving as far as I can tell.

So are you not remembering what happened to the last two Amiibo bundles in Europe?

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

So are you not remembering what happened to the last two Amiibo bundles in Europe?

I am not. I know we didn't receive the Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Bundle in the US.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I am not. I know we didn't receive the Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Bundle in the US.

Splatoon bundle got stolen straight off the truck. Yarn Yoshi bundle got destroyed somehow.

• Options

Splatoon bundle got stolen straight off the truck. Yarn Yoshi bundle got destroyed somehow.

Oh yeah, we didn't get the Splatoon bundle either, forgot about that one.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

so there was ONE load of Splatoon bundles and how was Yoshi DESTROYED?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

so there was ONE load of Splatoon bundles and how was Yoshi DESTROYED?

Poor translation. Nintendo of France said they ran out but Google Translate said they were destroyed because that's the most literal translation of the language used.

McFlynn on
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Hey, for me, I was just wondering if it went on sale generally, because I've got enough stuff to play that I can wait for a sale. Not really balking at the $40 price tag in and of itself. Since it doesn't hit sales, I just went ahead and picked it up last night. Should get a chance to play today, tonight at the latest.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Beat the demo for Etrian Odyssey Untold 2. It's actually pretty impressive as far as demos go, you get the first three floors of the normal dungeon and the first bit of the bonus dungeon, including an introduction to most of the new features like cooking recipes (gather ingredients from monsters and gather points, use them to fill in somewhat ambiguous recipes to unlock the meal) and updated Grimoire Stones (only one skill but you can equip more than one of them, the skill ranks stack if you already have points in them).

The maps have also been pretty heavily redesigned, with a new mechanic introduced that lets you do horribly abusive things to F.O.E.s.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Beat the demo for Etrian Odyssey Untold 2. It's actually pretty impressive as far as demos go, you get the first three floors of the normal dungeon and the first bit of the bonus dungeon, including an introduction to most of the new features like cooking recipes (gather ingredients from monsters and gather points, use them to fill in somewhat ambiguous recipes to unlock the meal) and updated Grimoire Stones (only one skill but you can equip more than one of them, the skill ranks stack if you already have points in them).

The maps have also been pretty heavily redesigned, with a new mechanic introduced that lets you do horribly abusive things to F.O.E.s.

...Go on (not like you couldn't already do horribly abusive things to them but).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

...Go on (not like you couldn't already do horribly abusive things to them but).

Spoilers, in case people want to experience the best thing ever on their own.
    Pit traps. Solid when you walk on them, but when a F.O.E. steps on one they break it, lose like a fifth of their health, and are trapped for a bunch of moves. Even when they make it out, they move at half speed. At which point you can lure them into a second one, damaging and trapping them again, and completely immobilizing them even after they escape.

Basically, you lure a F.O.E. that's blocking your path into the first trap to disable them and ensure that they can't catch you even if you return later. You lure them into the second trap because you're an asshole who wants to see them suffer.

jothki on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    And these DQ games are coming out in the west on

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    harvest wrote: »
    And these DQ games are coming out in the west on

Armageddon

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest is so entrenched in Japan's consciousness it is absurd.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Dragon Quest is so entrenched in Japan's consciousness it is absurd.

Are they still required to release on the weekend to prevent excessive work call-ins?

• Options