As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey @DaMoonRulz

Is The Wordy Shipmates as good as Assassination Vacation and Unfamiliar Fishes and Lafayette in the Somewhat united States?

I might grab that next month.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    So my mom and I share a kindle account because we're lazy and generally will read the same stuff or recommend things to each other anyway

And sometimes I look at my amazon homepage and I'm just like

Woman

We both read romance novels (in ebook form - hides the evidence) but what even are these

So far no Space Raptors, though, for which I can't decide if I'm grateful or oddly disappointed

She a big Chuck Tingle fan or what

Yeah I need to see some titles or covers.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The Wordy Shipmates is real good, Uriel

I recall it having some excessive comparisons to modern politics for my taste, but other than that it's solid

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey @DaMoonRulz

Is The Wordy Shipmates as good as Assassination Vacation and Unfamiliar Fishes and Lafayette in the Somewhat united States?

I might grab that next month.

I like it very much! It paints a fuller picture of the Puritans that founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony, for better and worse.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Took me like 5 tries to get past the first few pages of Hyperion.

Pretty happy i finally stuck with it this time, this book is pretty baller.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hyperion's a real good time.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    He really captures the feeling of otherworldliness very well. Extremely creepy and great

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/04/the-wheel-of-time-turns-into-a-cutting-edge-tv-series/
    Hmm
    Hmmmmm

Mixed feelings here. Could be terrible.
    Could excise a lot of stuff that made the books so terrible as they got on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    My vote: definitely going to be terrible.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Well it's based on Wheel of Time, so there's a HARD ceiling on how good it can be

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    It doesn't say who, which is odd I think. I guess someone wants that Game of Thrones money.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    anyone ever check out the Shannara tv series?

I like the dude who they got to play Allanon but it looked like garbo otherwise

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Goddamn right you should apologize for that

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    anyone ever check out the Shannara tv series?

I like the dude who they got to play Allanon but it looked like garbo otherwise

It's not terrible but also not especially good.

The costuming and set design was pretty good.

Story wise it had a lot of CW type drama. And always felt very rushed.

All the actors and actresses are very pretty especially the actress playing Kimberly.

But seriously who calls their daughter Poppy Drayton?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Someone who really really likes heroin

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    So I finished A Gathering of Shadows, the follow up to A Darker Shade of Black

It was really good but... it was only half a book. The narrative really just kind of abruptly ends in the middle so I am both happy that it was realy enjoyable but also super disappointed that I will likely have to wait another 2-3 years to get the completion of this story

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good version of le morte d'Arthur?

I have a translation by Kieth Baines and it isn't very good

(or I suppose maybe it's just not my cup of tea?)

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good version of le morte d'Arthur?

I have a translation by Kieth Baines and it isn't very good

(or I suppose maybe it's just not my cup of tea?)

This is the version I read, and I found it...

Well, it was worth reading, but I wouldn't say I enjoyed it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    all the ones I've read are overwrought and tedious. Also what the fuck is up with Percival?

edit: in finding out what the fuck is up with percival, I have stumbled across this:
    Parsival (Piercethevale) is the central subject in Trevor Ravencroft's book, "The Cup of Destiny".[1] By Trevor's account, Parsival was known as the "Virgin Knight" but failed in finding the Grail because He missed performing too many of his ritual Sun rites in the morning as for his being physically exhausted because of his sexual frustrations observing the other knights during their romantic encounters at night.

which inclines me to think you should be reading Cup of Destiny.

Honestly the best Arthurian mythos is in Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising Sequence, but it's probably not what you're looking for.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I LOVE THE DARK IS RISING

Just read that

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've got a soft spot for The Once and Future King, although as a kid who'd seen the Disney Sword and the Stone and wanted to read the rest that book was eye-opening.

• Options
    It isn't so much that I don't like it as I feel like it's missing something. For example, the giant battle with thousands of cavalry went along the lines of 'so and so was dehorsed' 'so and so gave him a horse and was thanked' x 11

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Started up the Innocent Mage at the recommendation of a friend and I was worried for the first few chapters, but it has settled into a fun fantasy romp.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Huh, I didn't know The Dark Is Rising was Arthurian. Guess I should go back and reread that. Think last time I did I was like, 12.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah no that's uhh...

That's abouuuut right!

It's arguable that The Song of Roland is more fun, even, and like... that shit isn't fun.

Maybe try Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? There are a couple of translations of that which could vaguely be qualified as "enjoyable."

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    I have read that! and enjoyed it for the most part

I guess I'll stick with the version I have and go a few more chapters

• Options
    Ooh like get this randomly-opened-to passage from Tolkien's translation:
    At the assay they were searched by some that were there,
    and two fingers' breadth of fat they found in the leanest.
    Next they slit the eslot, seized on the arber,
    shaved it with a sharp knife and shore away the grease;
    next ripped the four limbs and rent off the hide.
    Then they broke open the belly, the bowels they removed
    (flinging them nimbly afar) and the flesh of the knot;
    they grasped then the gorge, disengaging with skill
    the weasand from the windpipe, and did away with the guts.
    Then they shore out the shoulders with their sharpened knives
    (drawing the sinews through a small cut) the sides to keep whole;
    next they burst open the breast, and broke it apart,
    and again at the gorge one begins thereupon,
    cuts all up quickly till he comes to the fork,
    and fetches forth the fore-numbles; and following after
    all the tissues along the ribs they tear away quickly.

It goes on like this FOR A WHILE.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The Fionavar Tapestry was an unexpected Arthurian cycle

It's been twenty years but I think The Dark is Rising was better

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    It isn't so much that I don't like it as I feel like it's missing something. For example, the giant battle with thousands of cavalry went along the lines of 'so and so was dehorsed' 'so and so gave him a horse and was thanked' x 11

nope that sounds about right.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    The book my teacher had in fifth grade of Arthur and the round table was the best

I have no idea what the hell it was

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    It is good that i have the nook app on my phone. My cat is sleeping on my chest and i cent reach my actual nook from here.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Ooh like get this randomly-opened-to passage from Tolkien's translation:
    At the assay they were searched by some that were there,
    and two fingers' breadth of fat they found in the leanest.
    Next they slit the eslot, seized on the arber,
    shaved it with a sharp knife and shore away the grease;
    next ripped the four limbs and rent off the hide.
    Then they broke open the belly, the bowels they removed
    (flinging them nimbly afar) and the flesh of the knot;
    they grasped then the gorge, disengaging with skill
    the weasand from the windpipe, and did away with the guts.
    Then they shore out the shoulders with their sharpened knives
    (drawing the sinews through a small cut) the sides to keep whole;
    next they burst open the breast, and broke it apart,
    and again at the gorge one begins thereupon,
    cuts all up quickly till he comes to the fork,
    and fetches forth the fore-numbles; and following after
    all the tissues along the ribs they tear away quickly.

It goes on like this FOR A WHILE.

All threads eventually turn into BBQ threads. I wonder what smoked fore-numbles taste like.

• Options
    man weren't we just talking about Parzival? well i was talking about Parzival at least. This sounds like a super cool book.
    The relatively high standing of blacks in medieval court culture becomes evident in the characters of Belacâne and Feirefiz in Wolfram von Eschenbach’s Arthurian epic, Parzival (1197-1210). Belacâne is the Moorish Queen of Zanzamanc in Africa who gives birth to Feirefiz after being married to the Christian knight Gahmuret, who is also the father of Eschenbach’s hero, Parzival. Significantly, Gahmuret’s romance with Belacâne presents an interracial (and interreligious) relationship in a positive light, although Belacâne wishes to become Christian. Likewise, Feirefiz, who is described as having black-and-white patched skin, is regarded as Parzival’s equal. Parzival even claims that, together with their shared dead father, the three of them are in essence one because of blood bond. After renouncing his pagan faith, Feirefiz marries the white Grail bearer and is granted all the privileges of a Christian knight.

http://www.berghahnbooks.com/title.php?rowtag=HoneckGermany

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    So the scifi book version of gerbergripe decided to hijack the Hugo nominations again this year, only instead of just nominating racist, homophobic white men they decided to nominate some people they dislike as well to deny them the award if the voters reject their entire slate like they did last year. They also included some joke nominations seemingly in an effort to troll the awards, but one of their nominees is trolling back:
    Chuck Tingle has released a sequel to his Hugo-nominated story Space Raptor Butt Invasion (because of course he has) titled Space Raptor Butt Redemption:
    After a year stationed on planet Zorbus, astronaut Lance Tanner and his raptor lover Orion return home to find that they are not greeted as heroes, but as villains.

Unbeknownst to Lance, his space travels have been funded by the villainous Scoundrels Inc, a corporation that has deep ties to the illegal trade of unicorn tears and a destructive mining project at the core of the earth. Now Lance is on trial for a number of false charges; from having connections to the wicked Scoundrels, to being too strange for space.

The opposing lawyer argues that space is only for serious astronauts, and that love between a raptor and a man is giving space travel a bad name. Lance is arguing that there’s room to be weird in space. More importantly, Lance is arguing for the idea of love itself; that just because something comes out of darkness doesn’t mean it can’t become a beacon of light.

Of course, this all culminates in a hardcore dinosaur on astronaut pounding that will have your jaw on the courtroom floor!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I love you Chuck Tingle

• Options
    I don't know what the reaction button for that is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They're just going to end up getting the Hugo's shut down, or at least massively reconfigured. I wish these fuckwits could pour this apparently limitless quantity of energy into something vaguely useful.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    It takes 2 years to change the rules for the Hugos, one to propose and one to confirm. Next year's Hugos will have something in place that will hopefully prevent this nonsense.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Margaret Atwood writes sentences that make me wish I was reading them in a second-floor windowed nook, with a mug of cooling tea, on a foggy day

This discussion has been closed.