As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

webguy20 wrote: »
    My thinking on the Mary Sue aspects of Kvothe - Spoilers!
    When I'm deciding if a character is too cheeseball, I always ask myself "Would I want to be them?". With Kvothe I would not. Yea he Is super smart and capable, but he is a broken man. He is stupendously prideful and full of himself (Manifested in all kinds of beatings and other shit that he brings on himself). Also his parents and whole troupe got murdered by the fucking boogie man as far as this world is concerned. He has lived a pretty shitty life and even as far as the 2nd book I would say his experiences haven't made up for it yet.

Also his worst comeuppance is yet to come, he apparently starts a war and opens the way for the dark fae to stalk the land.

I think actually having him as Mary Sue as he appears is important, because it keeps amping up the stakes for his great failure, and without those character traits I think the eventual reveal would be less powerful. He is obviously talking a good game in telling this story, but its going to get real dark before it gets better. It will be interesting to see how it all wraps up.

Also, is there any word at all when the next book will be out?

Kvothe talks a lot of bullshit. Remember that he's literally a teenager when the story starts. I remember being a teenager and let me tell you, I distinctly recall being the most intelligent person in the country, possibly the world.

• Options
    Also I never lied about sex

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man I could not stand The Name of the Wind. Dude writes well, but I hated pretty much everything about the actual book.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I finished Words of Radiance yesterday. i mostly liked it. some problems but i like enough of the characters and their interactions to keep going. knocked out Way of Kings and Words of Radiance in a month, too much reading!

also geeze this is supposed to be a 10 part series? i figured it was going to be another trilogy like sanderson's other work. not sure i'm prepared to read the same book series for the next 20 years.

I think its also going to be his cosmere crossover epic so... yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Really? Bluh. I think that stuff is when he's at his weakest. I guess I was wondering how they'd possibly escalate the stakes for 8 more books after how Words of Radiance ends since it feels on a fairly similar arc to The Final Empire trilogy, but that'd do it.

The series is planned as two sets of five books. Personally I absolutely loved the first two books and can't wait for the rest.

I enjoyed them certainly.
    Though it's pretty funny that even in a different setting Sanderson can't help but write characters who can fly one way or another

Having read a shit load of Sanderson books this year, they're all pretty much the same. Upper class vs lower class, weird magic system, end of the world nigh

honestly though I'd play like a cosmere smash bros

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Also RE: Kingkiller Chronicle
    Remember the framing device, he's literally telling the story of his life to someone, could be that he's lying. Doesn't make it anymore interesting to have to read though I suppose. Still gotta read dozens of pages on how he fucks a sex godess or whatever. I just guess I figured more cool stuff would happen eventually. I hope Rothfuss takes some of the common critique of Wise Man's Fear into consideration for the next book.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Actually now that I think of it, I discovered Bujold and LeGuin for myself in the past year and I'm not sure which one I like more

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I really liked Name of the Wind, i liked first half of Wise Man's Fear, i tolerated second half of it, but with every year since reading these books, i like them less and less.

Author also doesnt make liking him easy, and at this point i simply have no desire reading his another book, because that would mean supporting him and his way of doing things.

In a world where Sanderson is giving progress updates for every 5 % of book he writes, and Joe Abercrombie publishes smaller works when not writing big books (YA Shattered Sea trilogy for example, which btw i recommend, because in Abercrombie's world, YA means only "SLIGHTLY less sex and swearing") attacking readers for asking about book 3 of best-selling series is simply immature and pathetic.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I really liked Name of the Wind, i liked first half of Wise Man's Fear, i tolerated second half of it, but with every year since reading these books, i like them less and less.

Author also doesnt make liking him easy, and at this point i simply have no desire reading his another book, because that would mean supporting him and his way of doing things.

In a world where Sanderson is giving progress updates for every 5 % of book he writes, and Joe Abercrombie publishes smaller works when not writing big books (YA Shattered Sea trilogy for example, which btw i recommend, because in Abercrombie's world, YA means only "SLIGHTLY less sex and swearing") attacking readers for asking about book 3 of best-selling series is simply immature and pathetic.

It's a tough one because I can totally understand an author not being beholden to pressure, entitled fans, etc. "It's done when it's done" is a good policy overall. But it's how you approach that policy that really matters, and being rude to your own supporters (even if some of them deserve it!) is not going to reflect well on you and can even retroactively taint your previous work. Personally I think a lot of the criticisms of the first 2 books wouldn't be as severe if PR would just let things roll off his back more. Funnily enough that's a lesson that Kvothe could really stand to learn as well.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »
    I started reading the Wheel of Time series as when I was 12 back in 1990 and I loved them. I've not read any of the Sanderson ones and I'm not sure if I read Knife of Dreams (last one written by Jordan) or not. I really need to get back to them and finish the series up but it is a bit daunting at this point. Maybe I should make it a goal to get them all read before I turn 40 this next summer.

This is where I'm at... I've got the Sanderson books but I don't really feel like re-reading that entire series.

I need a coles notes version I can hammer through in a couple hours just to get back up to speed.

Also has everyone read Rogues? Edited by George Martin and contains a bunch of stories from a huge variety of authors (including Pat Rothfuss) across all sorts of genres. It was excellent and gave me a bunch of authors to look for more work from.

He's done a few of those (Warriors, Dangerous Women) and they're all pretty good.

Unpopular opinion here but I don't like the way Brandon Sanderson writes and think that he would be a terrible choice to finish ASOIAF.

I like (most of) his writing and still think he'd be a terrible choice for that task.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I finished Words of Radiance yesterday. i mostly liked it. some problems but i like enough of the characters and their interactions to keep going. knocked out Way of Kings and Words of Radiance in a month, too much reading!

also geeze this is supposed to be a 10 part series? i figured it was going to be another trilogy like sanderson's other work. not sure i'm prepared to read the same book series for the next 20 years.

I think its also going to be his cosmere crossover epic so... yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Really? Bluh. I think that stuff is when he's at his weakest. I guess I was wondering how they'd possibly escalate the stakes for 8 more books after how Words of Radiance ends since it feels on a fairly similar arc to The Final Empire trilogy, but that'd do it.

The series is planned as two sets of five books. Personally I absolutely loved the first two books and can't wait for the rest.

I enjoyed them certainly.
    Though it's pretty funny that even in a different setting Sanderson can't help but write characters who can fly one way or another

Having read a shit load of Sanderson books this year, they're all pretty much the same. Upper class vs lower class, weird magic system, end of the world nigh

Yea, that's true. I kept noticing the Mistborn parallels to Stormlight Archives. I also read the 6 Mistborn books this year!

Which is actually one of the reasons I thought it was going to be a trilogy again, the pacing seemed fairly similar to The Final Empire trilogy.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'll finish ASOIAF, don't worry
    I'm a very good writer

Page 1: Jon Snow was dead forever, for real.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm a very good writer

how much do you like describing feasts tho.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm a very good writer

how much do you like describing feasts tho.

Also fucking

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    PAGE 2: THE FEAST ORGY IN CELEBRATION OF THE DEATH OF JON SNOW

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    what I want to know is why people in Westeros are so into lamprey pie

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

Go on

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Go on

*unbuckles belt* uh yes, just getting comfortable

please continue

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Apparently lamprey is fucking delicious. It's supposed to taste kinda beefy and it was a popular eating fish in the middle ages. As good as reason as any.

The best eating thing is still Master Rape King north of the wall who drinks "thin yellow beer" as a sign of his moral corruption.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Will said feast orgy include capons, either for eating or, uhh, otherwise?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Will said feast orgy include capons, either for eating or, uhh, otherwise?

Only the most leal capons and they'll be served upon platters decorated with the finest designs done in niello.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

It got eaten to extinction in Britain back in the day apparently, so it makes sense fantasy Britains love it too

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    King Henry reputedly died of a surfeit of lampreys!

As always I search for the Ogden Nash poem and fail to find it on the internet.

But I have the book at home somewheres.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When I was a kid I thought that meant he was smothered by eels.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

That's

amazing

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Ogden Nash wrote:
    I don't mind eels
    Except as meals

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Uriel wrote: »
    Remember the framing device, he's literally telling the story of his life to someone, could be that he's lying. Doesn't make it anymore interesting to have to read though I suppose. Still gotta read dozens of pages on how he fucks a sex godess or whatever. I just guess I figured more cool stuff would happen eventually. I hope Rothfuss takes some of the common critique of Wise Man's Fear into consideration for the next book.
    The sex goddess totally played him. Her fascination with his ding-a-ling ended p much immediately after she got what she wanted, vis a vis him going to speak to that tree

V1m on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Whoever in here suggested The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, you're pretty great. I just devoured half that book tonight without even meaning to.

I'll give this a shot turned into a 4 hour time portal to 3am. The only reason I stopped was my Kindle didn't charge during the day and it ran out of batteries.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

"Are you hungry, Henry?"

"Oh man yeah you got no idea. Gimme some lampreys"

"How hungry?"

"Just fill up the bath"

• Options
    edited December 2016
    knitdan wrote: »
    Ogden Nash wrote:
    I don't mind eels
    Except as meals

Nah, unfortunately it's a different one.

Unless you were just quoting Ogden Nash, which I'm 100% on board for.
    One thing that literature would be greatly the better for
    Would be a more restricted employment by the authors of simile and metaphor.
    Authors of all races, be they Greeks, Romans, Teutons or Celts,
    Can’t seem just to say that anything is the thing it is but have to go out of their way to say that it is like something else.
    What does it mean when we are told
    That that Assyrian came down like a wolf on the fold?
    In the first place, George Gordon Byron had enough experience
    To know that it probably wasn’t just one Assyrian, it was a lot of Assyrians.
    However, as too many arguments are apt to induce apoplexy and thus hinder longevity.
    We’ll let it pass as one Assyrian for the sake of brevity.
    Now then, this particular Assyrian, the one whose cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold,
    Just what does the poet mean when he says he came down like a wolf on the fold?
    In heaven and earth more than is dreamed of in our philosophy there are great many things.
    But I don’t imagine that among them there is a wolf with purple and gold cohorts or purple and gold anythings.
    No, no, Lord Byron, before I’ll believe that this Assyrian was actually like a wolf I must have some kind of proof;
    Did he run on all fours and did he have a hairy tail and a big red mouth and big white teeth and did he say Woof Woof?
    Frankly I think it is very unlikely, and all you were entitled to say, at the very most,
    Was that the Assyrian cohorts came down like a lot of Assyrian cohorts about to destroy the Hebrew host.
    But that wasn’t fancy enough for Lord Byron, oh dear me no, he had to invent a lot of figures of speech and then interpolate them,
    With the result that whenever you mention Old Testament soldiers to people they say Oh yes, they’re the ones that a lot of wolves dressed up in gold and purple ate them.
    That’s the kind of thing that’s being done all the time by poets, from Homer to Tennyson;
    They’re always comparing ladies to lilies and veal to venison,
    And they always say things like that the snow is a white blanket after a winter storm.
    Oh it is, is it, all right then, you sleep under a six-inch blanket of snow and I’ll sleep under a half-inch blanket of unpoetical blanket material and we’ll see which one keeps warm,
    And after that maybe you’ll begin to comprehend dimly
    What I mean by too much metaphor and simile.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

"Still hungry sir?"

"Yeah, keep pourin' them on until I say so"

*too many eels*

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    It's a common misconception that the lampreys did him in

It was actually the wafer-thin mint afterwards

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    The sex goddess totally played him. Her fascination with his ding-a-ling ended p much immediately after she got what she wanted, vis a vis him going to speak to that tree

Wasn't the deal with her
    less that she was fascinated with his ding-a-ling (at least, not to any greater extent then she was fascinated by any ding-a-ling) but that he distracted her enough with his music and story telling to survive her bog standard ding-a-ling fascination? I do vaguely recall she was surprised he was a Virgin, but only because she rarely encounters them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I got Capital by Piketty yesterday for my birthday

so now I have 3 giant tomes on economics I'll probably never finish reading through

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Wasn't the deal with her
    less that she was fascinated with his ding-a-ling (at least, not to any greater extent then she was fascinated by any ding-a-ling) but that he distracted her enough with his music and story telling to survive her bog standard ding-a-ling fascination? I do vaguely recall she was surprised he was a Virgin, but only because she rarely encounters them.

Also:
    He Named her with his magic super powers so they had a big magic-y fight and she didn't instantly win it. Then he supplied the PR reason to give her a face saving reason for them to not repeat the giant fight with one of them actually losing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    RE: Wise Man's Fear
    Honestly the magical sex elf goddess didn't bother me nearly as much as the emotionless warrior people who casually fuck all the time and know how not to get pregnant so that's all cool, bone your way through them Kvothe. Just, man, gimme a fuckin break Pat and I'm not a hater, I really love The Name of the Wind.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    also a note on the kindle that's been mentioned: the fact that I can check out library e-books from the internet is fucking magic to me (and I have already done so!). I know how it can work, but I adore it all the same because that's SO MUCH INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO ME

librarians and libraries are the jam. overdrive is cool. you're all the best.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Honestly the magical sex elf goddess didn't bother me nearly as much as the emotionless warrior people who casually fuck all the time and know how not to get pregnant so that's all cool, bone your way through them Kvothe. Just, man, gimme a fuckin break Pat and I'm not a hater, I really love The Name of the Wind.

They both annoyed me, but at least the
    magical sex elf goddess
    was part of the plot, as opposed to
    the casual warrior sex,
    since that was basically just a break between doing other things, and could have been replaced with sitting down to have an orange slice and talking about the weather.

I just found this thread, so I don't know if it's been discussed already, but the one that put me off the most is actually in Slow Regard, where
    she's exited for him to be her first boning after her trauma. Since it's not a second hand thing, it can't be because of an unreliable narrator humble bragging his way through the story. At least it's part of the narrative, I guess.

• Options
    Thro wrote: »

magical sex elf goddess
    the casual warrior sex,
    since that was basically just a break between doing other things, and could have been replaced with sitting down to have an orange slice and talking about the weather.

I just found this thread, so I don't know if it's been discussed already, but the one that put me off the most is actually in Slow Regard, where
    she's exited for him to be her first boning after her trauma. Since it's not a second hand thing, it can't be because of an unreliable narrator humble bragging his way through the story. At least it's part of the narrative, I guess.

Uh I didn't get that at all from Slow Regard.
    Yeah she's excited to see him again, because he's basically her only human contact, and he's kind to her, but I never got any indication that their relationship is anything more than platonic. And I really doubt Kvothe would try to do anything with her anyway.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

magical sex elf goddess
    the casual warrior sex,

Yeah she's excited to see him again, because he's basically her only human contact, and he's kind to her, but I never got any indication that their relationship is anything more than platonic. And I really doubt Kvothe would try to do anything with her anyway.
    Ok, I remembered her getting a bed and, some sort of wound care ready for his arrival (it's been a while, I've forgotten details). Which I may have read way to much into! I thought there was more implication going on in that scene for some reason. I'll also agree that Kvothe wouldn't be down with it; it was just another female character willing to go to bone town with him in that situation that annoyed me. If she isn't, annoyance retracted!

• Options

magical sex elf goddess
    the casual warrior sex,

Ok, I remembered her getting a bed and, some sort of wound care ready for his arrival (it's been a while, I've forgotten details). Which I may have read way to much into! I thought there was more implication going on in that scene for some reason. I'll also agree that Kvothe wouldn't be down with it; it was just another female character willing to go to bone town with him in that situation that annoyed me. If she isn't, annoyance retracted!

Ok yeah, that makes sense. (Here there be spoilers, and a passage from near the end)
    I can't recall exactly where in the story Slow Regard falls but it's somewhere in Wise Man's Fear.

A big part of their friendship is the exchange of gifts, and especially in threes because this is a fantasy tale and threes are important.

She spends a lot of time making him some soap. The bed is a big deal not because she wants to bone him, but because she is setting aside a part of her space especially for him "just in case." It's part of her healing process from the unspecified trauma that led to her living in the Underthing in the first place.

And yeah there is some attraction on her part, but it's honestly pretty chaste.
    It was not long before Auri returned to Mantle with a sorrel colored candle pressed with lavender. It smelled of bay and bees. It was a perfect thing. Auri washed her face. She washed her hands and feet. Soon. She knew. Soon he would come visiting. Incarnadine and sweet and sad and broken. Just like her. He would come, and like the proper gentleman he was, he would bring three things. Grinning, Auri fairly danced. She would have three things for him as well. First his clever candle, all Taborlin. All warm and stuffed with poetry and dreams. Second was a proper place. A shelf where he could put his heart. A bed to sleep. Nothing could harm him here. And the third thing? Well . . . She ducked her face and felt a slow flush climb her cheeks. . . . Stalling, Auri reached out for the small stone soldier sitting on his bedshelf. Strange she’d never noticed the design upon its shield. It was so faint. But yes. There was the tower wrapped up in a tongue of flame. No mere soldier, it was a small stone Amyr. Peering closer, Auri spied slight lines upon his arms as well. She did not know how she had missed these things before. It was a tiny Ciridae. Of course. Of course it was. It would hardly be a proper present for him otherwise. She kissed the tiny figurine and set it back upon the shelf. Still, there was the third thing. This time Auri did not blush. She smiled. She washed her face and hands and feet. Then she skipped quickly into Port and opened up the hollybottle. With two fingers Auri lifted out a single seed. The tiny berry bright as blood despite green Foxen’s light. Auri scampered off to Van and peered into the mirror. She licked her lips and pressed the berry up against them, daubing it from left to right. Then she smoothed the berry back and forth across them. She eyed her reflection. She looked no different than before. Her lips were palest pink. She smiled. Auri returned to Mantle. She washed her face and hands and feet. Excitement bubbling up inside of her, Auri looked at his bed. His blanket. His bedshelf with the tiny Amyr waiting there to guard him. It was perfect. It was right. It was a start. He would need a place someday, and it was here all ready for him. Someday he would come, and she would tend to him. Someday he would be the one all eggshell hollow empty in the dark. And then . . . Auri smiled. Not for herself. No. Not ever for herself. She must stay small and tucked away, well-hidden from the world. But for him it was a different thing entire. For him she would bring forth all her desire. She would call up all her cunning and her craft. Then she would make a name for him.

This discussion has been closed.