As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Holy fuck

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I have been hearing things about Chinese sci-fi/speculative fiction that makes me think I need to start paying way more attention to it.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Regarding Dune,

There's some weird women are evil stuff on the first book, and the second book is starting with the same thing. I'm not sure I want to continue.

really?

I never got that impression, I always thought it was pretty much only the women who had their shit together

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Regarding Dune,

There's some weird women are evil stuff on the first book, and the second book is starting with the same thing. I'm not sure I want to continue.

really?

I never got that impression, I always thought it was pretty much only the women who had their shit together

I remember women in the first book being portrayed as scheming witches

And the second one starts the same way

I started the second one a while ago and it's hard to keep going

• Options
    I know characters called them witches but the people who did that were always the villains....

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Also they are kinda sorta actual witches

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Also god I didn't realize that I was still so disappointed in the Fireman

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This Fifth Season book has twice now casually told me about people's unexpected genitals and I'm a bit confused if it's meant to be a thing or it just really wants me to be aware of everyone's genital arrangements.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    This Fifth Season book has twice now casually told me about people's unexpected genitals and I'm a bit confused if it's meant to be a thing or it just really wants me to be aware of everyone's genital arrangements.

So, the polar opposite of Ancillary Justice then, and perhaps just as strange?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

In retrospect it might be my least-favorite Joe Hill book? Thinking about it, things end up a little too convenient for me in several spots.

But also I still enjoyed it a lot.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The book pretty consistently doesn't treat genitalia as determining gender.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Darmak wrote: »
    Finished Babylon's Ashes today and I really enjoyed it. If you didn't like the other Expanse books then you wouldn't like this one, but I do so I did. I do wonder if another book will be in the works at some point because there's a couple of story things that I'd like to see more of like
    Naomi's kid, the what happened to the aliens that originally made the gates, etc.

it sounds like they are planning at least 3 more, and the next one is already titled "Persepolis Rising"

anyway, I just finished Babylon's Ashes too
    it'll be interesting to find out what Duerte is up to, since he is also the one who stole the last protomolecule sample from Fred's office

pity how very little was really revealed about that

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Regarding Dune,

really?

I remember women in the first book being portrayed as scheming witches

And the second one starts the same way

I started the second one a while ago and it's hard to keep going

They are totally scheming witches. It's just their scheme is a long-running plan to save humanity from itself.

There are a lot of shades of very dark grey in Dune.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

In retrospect it might be my least-favorite Joe Hill book? Thinking about it, things end up a little too convenient for me in several spots.

But also I still enjoyed it a lot.

Here is a really interesting concept and state of the world

Time for summer camp!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

The book pretty consistently doesn't treat genitalia as determining gender.

Yeah there is actually a plot point related to that in one of the books although I was a bit confused when reading those passages myself. I should go back and reread those passages to see if I makes more sense in retrospect.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I actually have a huge problem with the portrayal of women in Dune, about which I have gone on at length both here and elsewhere.

Essentially Frank Herbert can't be assed to do in-depth female characters, and goes instead for the three archetypes: the virgin, the mother, and the witch. He kind of combines the mother/witch archetypes, but essentially you have women who have great power, who are portrayed arguably as scheming and dangerous and not trustworthy, and women who are virginal/saintly, who exist only to prop up the Strong Male Leads.

When I reread Dune later on I could appreciate why people love it, but like. It's got some Lady Problems. And by that I do NOT mean it has its period.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man just finished the 5th PC Grant book, Foxglove Summer. Man they are just a good time. Now I have to wait for the 6th to come out at the end of next month. I gotta stop starting these half done series. It's killing me.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Man just finished the 5th PC Grant book, Foxglove Summer. Man they are just a good time. Now I have to wait for the 6th to come out at the end of next month. I gotta stop starting these half done series. It's killing me.

The Hanging Tree? I've read it already /smugface

I greatly enjoy the books, but I always end up feeling that they are too short. So again, while I greatly enjoyed The Hanging Tree, it is over far too quickly.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    But wait - what's that on his hand?
    IT'S THE GOM JABBAR

Put your goddamn hand.

In the goddamn box of pain.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Hmm

Terry Pratchett's books are like a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup and a plate with a grilled cheese sandwich and crackers.

He winds up 5 or 6 goofy characters, and watches them goof around a plot line that's generally a vehicle for light ridicule of the universe,
    that's justified by a moderately clever twist at the end.

Y'all know of any other authors with a similar feel?
    Could use a hot grilled cheese sandwich of a book, right now after 5 hours of working in the rain.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

I greatly enjoy the books, but I always end up feeling that they are too short. So again, while I greatly enjoyed The Hanging Tree, it is over far too quickly.

Curses!

Yea they go by fast. Same thing happens with the Dresden books. I wait 18 months for a new one and in a couple of days I have finished. Are the graphic novels any good? I'm afraid they'd influence me on how I see the characters in my head.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    So if anyone remembers I recently started reading The Red Knight by Miles Cameron. It started of pretty good but I stopped reading just before the last battle because it was setting up for a what I thought was a predictable and pretty grim ending. And after recent real world events I wasn't quite ready for that.

But today I finally decided to get it over with.

Turns out I was wrong and the book had some surprises left for me. It didn't turn out to be a complete happy ending but it wasn't grim dark for the sake of being dark either like I thought it was.

So over all I really enjoyed it.

I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a unique look at heavy armored knights in combat and an interesting magic and religious system.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    End wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Finished Babylon's Ashes today and I really enjoyed it. If you didn't like the other Expanse books then you wouldn't like this one, but I do so I did. I do wonder if another book will be in the works at some point because there's a couple of story things that I'd like to see more of like
    Naomi's kid, the what happened to the aliens that originally made the gates, etc.

it sounds like they are planning at least 3 more, and the next one is already titled "Persepolis Rising"

anyway, I just finished Babylon's Ashes too
    it'll be interesting to find out what Duerte is up to, since he is also the one who stole the last protomolecule sample from Fred's office

pity how very little was really revealed about that

Oh, that's good to know that he's working on more!
    I had actually forgotten that it was Duerte that stole the protomolecule. Hopefully the next book lets us see what's on the other side of the Laconia gate

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    It's weird that I finish miles errant on Christmas day and the last story ends stuff with a Christmas party. That said, mirror dance had me jumping around as I read the twists and turns.

The vorkorsigan saga's treatment of rape, mental illness, feminism, and gender identity should be held as examples for hbo.
    Regarding Dune,

Hmm...I don't remember it. Though I guess the majority of the women in the book are Bene Gesserit and they're jerks for sure.

The bene gesserit were the first psychics and word wizards and guarded this ability through selective breeding.

Lady Jessica is pragmatic rather than dogmatic.

But you should really stop with god emperor of dune.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/10/15/

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    slogged through the first two Joe Abercrombie books.. i love his writing but books loaded with shitty, self centered and cranky protagonists are always a chore for me.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    So, a while back I picked up a debut novel called 'Only Ever Yours' by Louise O'Neill, a brand spanking new Irish author. I make a point of supporting new authors whenever I can, especially women and especially Irish writers. Normally I get a fun read.

This book fucking destroyed me.

It's nearly impossible to describe. The best I can come up with is if Mean Girls and A Handmaid's Tale were mixed together into a book set in a dystopian post-apocalyptic future.

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Read it if you possibly can.

• Options
    I'm about halfway through Babylon's Ashes right now. Goddamn do I love the expanse series.

• Options
    I started The Name of the Wind

kvothe is a bit of a jackass but stories about the importance of stories are a thing that I have unlimited patience for

I like it so far

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I started The Name of the Wind

kvothe is a bit of a jackass but stories about the importance of stories are a thing that I have unlimited patience for

I like it so far

The name of the wind is super good. I legit think that book is great.
    But by the time you get to middle of the wise man's fear you better be ready to have your patience tested with him for real.

Seriously though don't mean to discourage anyone from reading it but even I who unironically and unequivocally loves dresden files had trouble with parts of that one.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    slogged through the first two Joe Abercrombie books.. i love his writing but books loaded with shitty, self centered and cranky protagonists are always a chore for me.

The First Law and it's sequels are full of a lot of not very nice people, protagonists included.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »

Curses!

Yea they go by fast. Same thing happens with the Dresden books. I wait 18 months for a new one and in a couple of days I have finished. Are the graphic novels any good? I'm afraid they'd influence me on how I see the characters in my head.

I've read one of the comics and thought the story was perfectly fine but this is coming from a guy who doesn't really read comics.

Not as good as the books but interesting to see the characters themselves.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I love the PC Grant stuff, can't wait for The Hanging Tree to get on audible. I bet they're really good to read but I started out listening to them and the narrator is really good with the characters and atmosphere.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Finally continuing The Gone-Away World

I just got to That Part
    Where you find out who (or what?) the narrator is

I kind of figured it was something like that, but god damn

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Just read the adventures of huck finn.
    Man Tom sawyer is a real piece of shit

• Options
    in the name of the wind
    I got pretty excited when it became clear that Kvothe was going to go to school

man I love school

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am making a to read list of 100 books in 2017

I will share out when not on this fucking bus

• Options
    Finished The Gone-Away World. That was great!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm reading A Handmaid's Tale

That book is harrowing

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    winter_holiday_books.jpg

All the books I snagged this winter holiday season.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    While at the library I noticed that they're selling some books for cheap, among them a few John Le Carre novels.

I may pick 'em up, because it was like 3 or 4 for $1. None of them were his incredibly well-known works but still!

This discussion has been closed.