As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechwarrior Online] Summer's got us down, so we Drop Ship'd [Thread Over]

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    In my experience CLPL are better to pair with CERML because the ranges are the same for sweet alphas. That's not factoring in range modules.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Thanks for the game, Adamski and Bolthorn, even though that team sucked. Random (Iron) Oosiks are the best Oosiks...

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Thanks for the game, Adamski and Bolthorn, even though that team sucked. Random (Iron) Oosiks are the best Oosiks...

Yeah, that's my bad. I'm so bad at this. I had one good game and then after that, well, I'm getting well over the point requirement, but my K/D is terrible.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    that's just a fat jenner build.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seems like most heavy/assault energy builds are basically fat jenner builds.

edit
    I guess 2xUAC5 and 3xMPL isn't a terrible build, cause I almost never have a match where I don't break 300 damage and get at least one kill. It just doesn't feel like it has a lot of oomph.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    http://goo.gl/BcTAhP

Have you tried this yet @Buttcleft

Also http://goo.gl/SUqmHc

Wubs

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Eww, LRMs.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Since we don't have a general FASA thread...
    But in a recent interview with Game Informer, Harebrained co-founders Jordan Weisman and Mitch Gitelman suggested that the studio may move on to something new, that's based on something old.

"There’s a very real chance of us pushing the size of the studio just a little bit more," Gitelman said. "What’s great is that we greenlit this original IP, Necropolis, but there are other IPs that we’ve created in the past that we are very interested in. Maybe soon."

"We’re not going to say yet, but one of my old children may be coming home to roost," Weisman added.

Dicks. Pants. Exploding. Etc.

(Since those "children" are either Mechwarrior/Battletech or Crimson Skies, and fuck yes to a new one of either.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MechWarrior 5 with epic multiplayer that allows dozens of companies per side on the battlefield!

FULL REGIMENTAL DEPLOYMENTS.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    A single player MW would be welcome to when I'm not with an internet connection and want to blow up mechs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a campaign based on Task Force Serpent/Operation Bulldog. What? Don't look at me that way! I'm reading through the Twilight of the Clans series again.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a campaign based on Task Force Serpent/Operation Bulldog. What? Don't look at me that way! I'm reading through the Twilight of the Clans series again.

DEATH TO THE SMOG KITTENS.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Eww, LRMs.

Who are you and what have you done with Buttcleft?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Ok, so I have now done the first part of my glorious conversion to becoming a clanner. Got my 3 points, a free mech bay for ranking up and soon enough fun bucks to make a Hellbringer my own.

Also fed my ex-IS brethren a win, ok so not personally since they were well organized.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    So I threw this together with a Std 320 off my Zeus and proceeded to burn holes through 7 clanners until a Kit Fox machine gunning me in the back was able to cut my rampage short.

BLR-1S: Std 320, 16 DHS, 4 Large Pulse Lasers

With modules the Large Pulse Lasers have 500m range! Doing 44 damage in just over a second almost feels like you have 6 ER Mediums :snap:

The torso twist feels insane even with just a 320, and I was planning on buying an XL375 for it. It runs cool too, you can keep up fire for about half a minute. I think it wins out over a Banshee 3M for CW even if you do lose 1 LPL. The extra range makes up for the damage you are missing, you can survive losing a side torso, and you save 10 tons.

• Options
    So I threw this together with a Std 320 off my Zeus and proceeded to burn holes through 7 clanners until a Kit Fox machine gunning me in the back was able to cut my rampage short.

BLR-1S: Std 320, 16 DHS, 4 Large Pulse Lasers

With modules the Large Pulse Lasers have 500m range! Doing 44 damage in just over a second almost feels like you have 6 ER Mediums :snap:

The torso twist feels insane even with just a 320, and I was planning on buying an XL375 for it. It runs cool too, you can keep up fire for about half a minute. I think it wins out over a Banshee 3M for CW even if you do lose 1 LPL. The extra range makes up for the damage you are missing, you can survive losing a side torso, and you save 10 tons.

Saw a similar build ripping through clanners in my last match. Was wondering why when I took out the one side torso it didn't go down since was used to seeing XLs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, seems like most heavy/assault energy builds are basically fat jenner builds.

edit
    I guess 2xUAC5 and 3xMPL isn't a terrible build, cause I almost never have a match where I don't break 300 damage and get at least one kill. It just doesn't feel like it has a lot of oomph.
    Clan ACs combine poorly with their lasers. Both are DPS weapons with substantial burn time, and against a moving target you can't keep both on target at the same time. Generally you want to pick one or the other. You can use LBXs instead, but they're bad. On the Hellbringer, you can either boat lasers, do MLAS + Gauss, or do something with PPCs, in declining order of effectiveness. The gold standard is 1x LPLAS, 6x ERMLAS. The HBR is heavy on crit slots and light on tonnage (relatively speaking; it still has more pod space than the Summoner), so energy builds + heatsinks are even more favored.

• Options
    edited May 2015

edit
    Clan ACs combine poorly with their lasers. Both are DPS weapons with substantial burn time, and against a moving target you can't keep both on target at the same time. Generally you want to pick one or the other. You can use LBXs instead, but they're bad. On the Hellbringer, you can either boat lasers, do MLAS + Gauss, or do something with PPCs, in declining order of effectiveness. The gold standard is 1x LPLAS, 6x ERMLAS. The HBR is heavy on crit slots and light on tonnage (relatively speaking; it still has more pod space than the Summoner), so energy builds + heatsinks are even more favored.

The c-spl is over looked, they are like little scalpels. My HBR is 2xLPL, 3xSPL, 2xSRM6.

The lpl are for distance, the srms and SPL are for the brawling. Runs cool enough if you have the discipline.

Though a 2xLRM15 and 6xSPL, might be very interesting, going to have to try that...

Tigliss on
    l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    This game is less stable now than it was in closed beta.

• Options
    Tigliss wrote: »

edit

The c-spl is over looked, they are like little scalpels. My HBR is 2xLPL, 3xSPL, 2xSRM6.

The lpl are for distance, the srms and SPL are for the brawling. Runs cool enough if you have the discipline.

Though a 2xLRM15 and 6xSPL, might be very interesting, going to have to try that...

I mostly use the lasers during the gap in UAC firing because I cant fire a constant UAC stream unless I double fire.

but once I get enough money to afford pods i'll probably go with an all energy build..though the dick in me is screaming for streak srm6s.

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    Also, I just bought a Hellbringer (two, actually) and it's weird how different this feels from my other 'mechs. I think the difference is that it's legitimately good (and I'm running a standard build) while my other clan 'mechs have been the Nova, Kit Fox, and Summoner. The HBR isn't reliant on some shitty gimmick to do well; just maintaining discipline and shooting people is enough to rack up ~2 kills per game.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I face tanked a dakka direwolf in my HBR with the 3xMPL and 2xUAC5 setup.

Helped he was baykkakeing all over my body while I was precision firing only on his CT.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

Helped he was baykkakeing all over my body while I was precision firing only on his CT.

When the DW CT is the size of a 747, it's not hard.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

o-okay.. :sad:

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

And shaped like one, too!

/joke

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, finished the event. 50/50. Fun stuff.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oh, for a non-butts connection ...

• Options

Wow, impressive. So how bad are the queues this evening?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Wow, impressive. So how bad are the queues this evening?

Not bad actually. They were very nice yesterday, too.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Oh man, Ice Ferret with 5 small pulse lasers is becoming one of my new favorite mechs, shortly behind Cicadas. Seriously, Ice Ferrets are awesome apparently. They're just Clan Cicadas that don't look as cool and don't have ECM.

We lost, but I still put some good work in:

1V15ivV.jpg

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Once more, with feeling. Thought I'd give this yet another go and having a much better time of it so far. Decided to abandon my old account because it was, quite frankly, a bit of a mess. Been spending the last couple of hours romping about in a Griffin and being moderately useful. Or something like that.

• Options
    Griffins are probably my next mech I want to try out. Especially the ECM variant that will come out for cbills.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I like that the current Trials Griffin comes with a pile of lasers and SRMs, which is what I'm used to running from last I played. Trying to avoid the variants I ran so I can try out new things. Also been trying out the Mad Dog, just for the name. At some point I'd like to get the variation of it that only runs dual Gauss (because Gauss!), but that's further off.

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    I like that the current Trials Griffin comes with a pile of lasers and SRMs, which is what I'm used to running from last I played. Trying to avoid the variants I ran so I can try out new things. Also been trying out the Mad Dog, just for the name. At some point I'd like to get the variation of it that only runs dual Gauss (because Gauss!), but that's further off.

The dual gauss Mad Dog is hilarious and has heaps of style but it's just such a waste compared to almost anything else you can do with that chassis.

Yesterday I saw one running two standard Clan AC/10's and nothing else. LOL WUT.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    MrGrimoire wrote: »

The dual gauss Mad Dog is hilarious and has heaps of style but it's just such a waste compared to almost anything else you can do with that chassis.

Yesterday I saw one running two standard Clan AC/10's and nothing else. LOL WUT.

That's what I figured, too. It's definitely a mech I want to run at some point, but it won't be my first purchase.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I don't know what it is about the mad dog that just inspires truly terrible builds on it. I consistently see builds with only one or two weapons.

• Options
    I don't know what it is about the mad dog that just inspires truly terrible builds on it. I consistently see builds with only one or two weapons.

Really? 90% of the ones I see are chainfire LRM 5 platforms or just bristling with (S)SRMs.

• Options
    I'm online and in vent stomping in CW if anybody else wants to join.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Russ confirmed that they're adding some sort of stock mech option for private matches.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

My new 2xLBX20 Mad dog would like to give you a pamphlet for the Church of KaBlam. It is amazingly effective and no one expects it.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Got a new GTX980 yesterday - far and away the most exorbitant single purchase I have made with my own money in my whole life - and now everything I'm running everyday at max settings all the time, like a bawse. :D

One of my brother's friends told me the difference between low and high settings was massive, but honestly... the first person pilot textures are still kind of muddy, the foliage is still jank, and ultra particle effects equates to... missile trails and sparkly PPCs? Not an incredible upgrade, to be honest.

All this while dipping to 50 FPS at times, and it makes me wonder how poorly optimised the game is :P Still, at least now I can play free of one kind of lag, at least ;w;

BRIAN BLESSED on