As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Brought to you by Prime Minister Lump of Coal

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    The only outcome I can envision in that scenario is that of the Nationals simply fading into obscurity, just as the Democrats did.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Whether they are in a coalition or not I don't see the nationals backing anyone else. The government would just be even more ineffectual. Toss up whether that would end up better or worse.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If the LNP coalition breaks down, who do the Nationals hitch their wagon to from then on? Labour? The Greens? Or do we go to a 4 party race?

4 party race would never happen, someone would need to form some sort of coallition to meet the seat criteria to form government.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    If the LNP coalition breaks down, who do the Nationals hitch their wagon to from then on? Labour? The Greens? Or do we go to a 4 party race?

4 party race would never happen, someone would need to form some sort of coallition to meet the seat criteria to form government.

This. Or it would be all Labor all the time. Which doesn't bother me per se, but I doubt it would be particular healthy for democracy

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Yuk at all anything all the time.
    Whatever they started with wouldn't be how they'd end up.
    They'd end up like any other party or person that gets too much power for too long.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Because we needed more proof that direct action was a laughable excuse to do nothing:
    Australia's 140 top polluters will set their own limits for future pollution virtually penalty free, according to the Government's latest Direct Action policy paper.

The Federal Government is building towards the launch of its flagship climate change initiative, the Emission Reduction Fund (ERF), in mid-April.

As part of that it has released a consultation paper outlining "safeguards" to ensure the big polluters do not offset emissions saved through the ERF.

Companies subject to the safeguards will select a baseline, or limit, for future pollution.

That baseline will be set according to the highest peak of emissions from the past five years.

Also, I hope you like unmotivated, unwilling workers doing meaningless jobs
    AUSTRALIANS under 50 and out of work will be forced to work for the dole from July. The move comes as part of an overhaul of the job placement system designed to cut red tape and put an end to taxpayer-subsidised training that doesn’t lead to work. Currently only jobseekers aged 18 to 30 who live in 18 trial sites across Australia are required to undertake compulsory work for the dole. From July, the scheme will be expanded nationally and take in all jobseekers up to age 49.

The new requirements will see unemployed people under 50 having to work for the dole for 15 hours a week, for six months of every year they are unemployed. Those under 30 will have to do 25 hours a week, and all jobseekers will have to apply for 20 jobs a month
    Funny thing is that the mentioned subsidised training "that doesn't lead to jobs" was exactly what got me my IT certifications during the GFC that lead to networking jobs that pay quite well for my age. Which, of course, was paid off many times over thanks to more taxes for the government from my income and increased personal spending.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Isn't this just an effort to drive down minimum wage? Where do they even find all these jobs that they apparently can't actually hire anyone to do normally, or which aren't worth paying for normally?

Also, what is the bet that supervisors for these things will end up being surprisingly expensive.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    A number of my friends undertook that training and got on their feet as a result

• Options
    Man the NSW state voting system makes so much more sense then the Federal one.

You can vote preferentially above the line - which means you take party preferences out of the equation without spending 45 minutes numbering boxes.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I would prefer a proportional representation system for the lower federal house over instant run off.
    We have proportional voting for the senate.
    There's no reason not to have it for the lower house too.
    Other than, you know, the currently dominating parties having a cry about needing to actually work for a living all of a sudden.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Isn't this just an effort to drive down minimum wage? Where do they even find all these jobs that they apparently can't actually hire anyone to do normally, or which aren't worth paying for normally?

Also, what is the bet that supervisors for these things will end up being surprisingly expensive.

From what I've read, employers dislike work for the dole almost as much as those lumped working on it. Form their perspective, they get untrained workers who have no interest whatsoever in work they've been forced into, and so can only be tasked with the most menial of jobs with terrible output resulting.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

From what I've read, employers dislike work for the dole almost as much as those lumped working on it. Form their perspective, they get untrained workers who have no interest whatsoever in work they've been forced into, and so can only be tasked with the most menial of jobs with terrible output resulting.

Yup it's pure ideology, doesn't matter if it works. For example, doesn't matter if actually paying for housing for the homeless decreases the overall cost to the tax payer people will still be angry that (significantly less) of their tax money goes to paying someones rent.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Personally speaking, I loved work for the dole. I'd been looking for work for ages, and sitting around playing Counter Strike and Guild Wars was terribly dull for passing the time. I did mine at a Salvation Army, and they were as happy for the help as I was doing it. I even stayed on volunteering after it was over, and I was actually missed when I found a job.
    Bet you thought there would be a 'not' in here. No, I really enjoyed it, and they did miss me. I'd drop in on weekends to say hi.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I loved work for the dole. I'd been looking for work for ages, and sitting around playing Counter Strike and Guild Wars was terribly dull for passing the time. I did mine at a Salvation Army, and they were as happy for the help as I was doing it. I even stayed on volunteering after it was over, and I was actually missed when I found a job.
    Bet you thought there would be a 'not' in here. No, I really enjoyed it, and they did miss me. I'd drop in on weekends to say hi.

That's pretty cool. Traditionally volunteer-driven roles would be the perfect place for this kind of thing.

When I ended up on a long stretch of unemployment, my only choice for work for the dole was... fish processing. At somewhere an hour's drive away. Even the Centrelink staff looked dispirited at the idea. Thankfully I managed to land a proper job the day before it was mandated to begin.

• Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/21/voters-arent-fickle-just-discerning-and-they-will-punish-bad-governments

Some interesting research here.
    Puts a bullet in the old chestnut about voters being fickle and small minded nowadays.
    No they just expect better than you are giving ladies and gents.
    So lift your game.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I don't completely disagree with the concept of work for the dole; giving people some kind of purpose during the week is better than nothing. I was probably at my most depressed when I was taking one or two courses a semester at uni without a backup job.

I also think that like @electricitylikesme says that its an excuse to reduce minimum wage for a lot of companies. The immediate managers who actually work with said people may dislike the idea, but its gold to the kind of upper management that just has to stop by every six months or so and mostly care about the difference on their balance sheets.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Anyone watching NSW? I'm heading libs retain with reduced majority, labour minor gains, greens adding more seats in the lower house

• Options
    Jintor wrote: »
    Anyone watching NSW? I'm heading libs retain with reduced majority, labour minor gains, greens adding more seats in the lower house
    The Guardian's numbers:
    Coalition on course to win 53 seats, Labor on 31, Greens four, independents two, with three too close to call, as ALP gains a statewide swing of about 9%
    Not a big surprise. From outside, the Liberals seemed better organised, while Labor sounded uninspiring beyond their pushback to privatisation. Might help Abbott a bit within the party. Until the budget, that is.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »
    The Guardian's numbers:
    Coalition on course to win 53 seats, Labor on 31, Greens four, independents two, with three too close to call, as ALP gains a statewide swing of about 9%
    Not a big surprise. From outside, the Liberals seemed better organised, while Labor sounded uninspiring beyond their pushback to privatisation. Might help Abbott a bit within the party. Until the budget, that is.

I kinda feel it was a reasonable outcome when it comes to the Federal side of things. There's going to be less pressure to ditch Abbott immediately (which would give his successor time to build themselves up) which then means fortunately, and unfortunately, Tones can stick his foot in his mouth many many MANY more times over the coming months.

Personally, I haven't seen a damn thing from the Labor side leading up into this election so I was really really glad that they added preferential voting above the line this time around instead of having to spend an age numbering more than a hundred boxes.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Steve Whan's campaign helper-chan... Very dancing, such waifu

Two electorates to which I have connection, Tamworth and Parramatta are both highly disappointing, with a minor swing toward the Tories in the latter and a huge swing toward the NATs away from the independent in the former.

Ballina is one good news story to which I have a connection, NATs are booted for the Greens!

• Options
    Two national safe seats were lost to the greens.
    That's significant.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Because we needed more proof that direct action was a laughable excuse to do nothing:
    Australia's 140 top polluters will set their own limits for future pollution virtually penalty free, according to the Government's latest Direct Action policy paper.

The Federal Government is building towards the launch of its flagship climate change initiative, the Emission Reduction Fund (ERF), in mid-April.

As part of that it has released a consultation paper outlining "safeguards" to ensure the big polluters do not offset emissions saved through the ERF.

Companies subject to the safeguards will select a baseline, or limit, for future pollution.

That baseline will be set according to the highest peak of emissions from the past five years.
    I seem to recall I wrote somewhere, quite exactly, that this is what was going to happen. I think though it was on one of the places I blogged that got bought out and shut down. Anyway, I've no claim to originality, this is what economists everywhere have been saying would happen with this policy.
    Also, I hope you like unmotivated, unwilling workers doing meaningless jobs
    AUSTRALIANS under 50 and out of work will be forced to work for the dole from July. The move comes as part of an overhaul of the job placement system designed to cut red tape and put an end to taxpayer-subsidised training that doesn’t lead to work. Currently only jobseekers aged 18 to 30 who live in 18 trial sites across Australia are required to undertake compulsory work for the dole. From July, the scheme will be expanded nationally and take in all jobseekers up to age 49.

The new requirements will see unemployed people under 50 having to work for the dole for 15 hours a week, for six months of every year they are unemployed. Those under 30 will have to do 25 hours a week, and all jobseekers will have to apply for 20 jobs a month
    Again, work for the dole is so weird. I mean, if it's worth getting someone to do, someone could be paid to do it.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    No surprises!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-29/joe-hockey-hints-at-details-of-bank-deposits-tax/6356670
    Treasurer Joe Hockey has hinted the Federal Government will push ahead with a tax on bank deposits while blaming the Labor government for the budget deficit.

When asked on Network Ten's The Bolt Report whether he would be introducing a bank deposit tax, Mr Hockey hinted he would introduce the tax first introduced by Labor in 2013.

Assistant Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has previously refused to provide any details on the policy, but Mr Hockey has confirmed the policy will mirror Labor's.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like the first weather balloons are afloat to guage public reaction.

Note that the Liberals lashed Labor over the policy, and banks fought it bloody hard, forcing them to give up. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens again.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    "Labor is the blame for everything and does nothing right. So let's go do what they did in the past."

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    "Labor is the blame for everything and does nothing right. So let's go do what they did in the past."

Which actually tells you a lot about the LNP. They want it their way, they want the credit, and they want to smear the other side so much that they will publicly lampoon any idea that they find good, and then implement it as though it were their own.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    The guarantee on bank deposits has had interesting implications for the share prices of the banks, and their behaviour. It's basically deposit insurance, as I understand it. Except at the moment it's paid by the government instead of by the people whose deposits are insured. It seems like it makes sense to recover the cost from the people who are benefiting from it. Furthermore, it would probably be a 'progressive' tax, in that people with more money pay more.

Solvent on

• Options
    Solvent wrote: »
    The guarantee on bank deposits has had interesting implications for the share prices of the banks, and their behaviour. It's basically deposit insurance, as I understand it. Except at the moment it's paid by the government instead of by the people whose deposits are insured. It seems like it makes sense to recover the cost from the people who are benefiting from it. Furthermore, it would probably be a 'progressive' tax, in that people with more money pay more.

Except that's pretty much crap: rich people don't keep their money in massive bank accounts (and aren't covered by deposit insurance anyway). It disproportionately taxes the middle-class who have savings, but not enough to have it overflow into investments.

• Options
    And flat taxes aren't progressive

• Options
    edited March 2015
    That's actually not obvious in this case. We're talking about a specific wealth tax here. I don't find it at all difficult to believe that people in the top 50% of the income distribution tend to hold more money, as a proportion of their income, in bank accounts than do the lower 50%, and thus they'd pay a higher proportion of their income in tax. I suspect there is probably a bulge in that distribution at some point and it wouldn't hold right to the very top end of the scale, but that would still make it by and large a progressive tax. I'm not sure where I'd be able to find the actual data that could back this up though.

Twiggy Forrest's entire net worth is not whiling away in uBank, no, but rich people do absolutely have cash in bank accounts.

Solvent on

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That's actually not obvious in this case. We're talking about a specific wealth tax here. I don't find it at all difficult to believe that people in the top 50% of the income distribution tend to hold more money, as a proportion of their income, in bank accounts than do the lower 50%, and thus they'd pay a higher proportion of their income in tax. I suspect there is probably a bulge in that distribution at some point and it wouldn't hold right to the very top end of the scale, but that would still make it by and large a progressive tax. I'm not sure where I'd be able to find the actual data that could back this up though.

Twiggy Forrest's entire net worth is not whiling away in uBank, no, but rich people do absolutely have cash in bank accounts.

You don't make money with depositing in banks, you make money with investments.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Oh, is that how it's done?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Oh, is that how it's done?

Yes. What's the best interest rate you can find on a long-term savings account under $100,000 with any bank in Australia?

Now, what's the market average value increase percentage rate for professionally-managed share portfolios?

There is a good reason why once you have enough emergency backup savings money to do so, you invest...

• Options
    Side topic, but around what amount should you start investing?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Side topic, but around what amount should you start investing?

We do the "have 3 months of expenses available" thing, and everything else goes into an investment portoflio.

So a tax like this, if it's only based on savings and not earnings in someway, will tax us more as a % of our income the less we earn.

Vanguard is a pretty solid investment company if you guys want to get started.

edit: Though thinking about it, if we earned less I'd be inclinded to have more money in the bank than our standard 3 months.

Currently we can easily absorb unexpected expenses or purchases, and then just top up the savings account next paycheque. With a smaller paycheque, this becomes a bit riskier.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Assume I have never had enough savings to actually know anything about investment, such that "the 3 months of expenses available" thing is not, in fact, a thing I know about. Or anything related to it. :)
    I'm asking for my partner, who has a lot of savings right now and doesn't really know what to do with them.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Also related.
    http://www.smh.com.au/business/banking-and-finance/small-banks-say-they-will-suffer-from-proposed-deposits-levy-20150329-1ma8j1.html

In that earlier article Hockey says he has to increase taxes.
    Who wants to bet against the prediction "these taxes will barely touch his rich mates."
    Anyone?
    No?
    Yeah they are pretty shit odds aren't they.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Assume I have never had enough savings to actually know anything about investment, such that "the 3 months of expenses available" thing is not, in fact, a thing I know about. Or anything related to it. :)
    I'm asking for my partner, who has a lot of savings right now and doesn't really know what to do with them.

Vanguard's Index fund is a good start. Zero involvement required from your side other than purchasing shares.

And with an Australian bank account they can deposit the dividends directly into your accout or automatically re-invest.

I, however, get cheques mailed to me :(

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tax-white-paper-treasury-urges-more-gst-less-income-tax-20150329-1maeco.html
    The Commonwealth Treasury has set out the case for an increase in Australia's rate of goods and services tax and a series of cuts in income and company tax, saying that at 10 per cent, Australia's GST is one of the lowest in the developed world.
    Hands up those who are surprised.

• Options
    I'm impressed the states didn't play into their hands to request this despite the manifest goals of the LNP

This discussion has been closed.