As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join The [Helldivers] And Fight For Super Earth!

Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually...{They/Them}Registered User regular
edited April 4 in Games and Technology
Do you love freedom? Do you wanna spread democracy throughout the galaxy? Do you wanna shoot space bugs (and sometimes your friends) in the face? Then join...

4two4092jwqh.jpg

Helldivers is a silly dumb game by the Magicka guys, and it shows. You team up with up to three others to complete missions, shoot guys, and occasionally squish teammates with your drop pods. It's basically Starship Troopers: The Video Game with some ODST thrown in.

xl0qnjkhnlah.jpg

And if you buy it, it's Cross Play, Cross Save, Cross Chat, Cross Everything between PS4, PS3, and Vita. Plus it's a few dollars cheaper for PS+ members.

qlpmot9mrt9b.jpg

The PA Helldivers Friends List
(PA Name / PSN)

Emerlmaster999 / MisterBeeb123
SeGaTai / SeGaTai
Conn / ConnConnor
IDDQD / FlynntLoch
LutExIV / LutExIV
Syphonblue / Syphonblue
Voranth / Voranth
Artereis / Artereis
Indie Winter / indie_winter
Zoku Gojira/ ZokuGojira
Qanamil / FauxRomano
JohnnyChopsocky / Stud_Beefpile
Unco-ordinated / LiquidSolid
No Great Name / NoGreatName
Farangu / Farangu
MegaMek / Mekredd
Doctor Fink / Doctor_Fink
Raiden333 / PA_Raiden333
CaptainNemo / CaptainNemo1138
Bolthorn / Bolthorn
acidlacedpenguin / AcidLacedPenguiN
Aretè /ninjafrizz
DiannaoChong / diannaoch
italianranma / italianranma
Rchanen / rchanen

I'll try and update the list as I see names, but it's probably safer to PM it to me.

For Super Earth!

Echo on

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I just bought it.

*edit* PSN and PA tags are the same.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I fought cyborgs instead of bugs for my first planet. They're just like bugs except SURPRISE they sometimes shoot rifles and have grenades. Then I got squashed by my escape shuttle.

+2 INFLUENCE THAT WAS FROM ME WOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I cannot play without the laser sight, tried the stun grenades and my shots went everywhere.

I am enjoying the upgraded SMG, armor piercing rounds and mini-stuns are great.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, laser sight really seems pretty essential - though I found Heavy Armor to be extremely good against Cyborgs.

Loving the game so far - I still haven't fought the third faction.

PSN = FuriousJodo

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Added a few of you, anyone else can add me PSN SeGaTai

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    @Emerlmaster999 go ahead and put me with my PSN "ConnConnor" in the OP friends list, please.

I look forward to diving into hell with all of you, for managed democracy.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    For Super Earth and Space Fascism!! Co-ed showers for everyone! I'd love to get in on some bug squashing with the Arcadians, please feel free to add me to your respective friends lists. PSN: FlynntLoch

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    I wanna dive hell with you guys! LutExIV on psn. I will be intermittent between the vita and ps4. Is this cross play?

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    LutExIV wrote: »
    I wanna dive hell with you guys! LutExIV on psn. I will be intermittent between the vita and ps4. Is this cross play?
    Yup.

• Options
    So does event XP seemed bugged - Can't imagine they really think there are that many ppl playing that there expecting that much XP per event. But right now it seems like all contributions aren't doing anything

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Maybe it goes slowly, or they're holding it back to give people time to unlock weapons and the like to survive it?

I updated the Friends List, will send requests later tonight around 10pm. I'll go get a mic tomorrow.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Add me to the list

Syphonblue/syphonblue

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Had a blast with this game on launch day, missed Day 2 but logged in today to see that the community influence in Cancri finally has a sliver of yellow. I wonder if they update it once a day instead of in real time.

Also: War were declared! Cyborg and Illuminate campaigns are active!

Gellert City in the Gellert system is under attack by cyborgs, the event timer only has an hour left as of this post!

If you would like to helldive with me my PSN is Voranth.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I went ahead and picked this up because I'm weak to hype and it looks fun. I'm sure I'll catch you guys in game in the coming days.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I couldn't get past the training in the Vita version; the joystick's sensitivity is pretty bad, reload is swiping down on the right side of the rear touch screen, grenade is likewise mapped to touch (meaning you don't have full movement when throwing one), and it just looks like so much of it had to be downgraded to run at all.

Reminds me of the Vita's version of Borderlands 2.

I wonder what the PS3 version is like.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    This game is some serious fun when you get a good team going. I don't think I've had this many shenanigans since my highschool days.

canuckont on
    I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    Got some great games in with @SeGaTai. Lots of droppod shenanigans.

• Options
    Illuminus and snow is some bullshit right there - but a fun time even in death

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    So:

Bugs: low HP but move really dang fast

Illuminatus: pretty easy but have attacks that straight up kill you

Cyborgs: BULLSHIT. The flamers can get you into repeated down-and-bleeding loops and they fucing suck and the scouts are almost impossible to stop from summoning extra monsters. Otherwise higher hp and have distance weapons. Definitely the toughest of the enemy races

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I've found that cyborgs pretty much require heavy weapons to do well against. Also heavy armor.

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    Yeah, Bug Tanks go down very easily to flamethrowers.

The Cyborg equivalent can tank two or three mechs. Only way I've seen them die quickly was to a rocket launcher that takes forever to reload.

• Options
    did anyone else notice community points not working last night? Everything seemed to be at the minimum amount and stayed there no matter what.

• Options
    MurgatroydMurgatroyd Registered User regular
    Counterpoint! You can reliably solo most cyborg missions up to difficulty 6 or 7. I've been having issues grouping up lately, so solo has been kind of my thing for a couple days. Using the shotgun you can eliminate the enemies who signal alarms very quickly, usually only 1 or 2 in a group, so it's reasonable to not actually trigger an alarm until extraction. If you're going after bugs, they can basically all trigger alarms so you're just always in combat there.

Cyborg mechs (and now, I've discovered, tanks) are rough, but using artillery/avoidance they're not impossible. Also, you can run from most objectives and regroup and not fight them at all.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Murgatroyd wrote: »
    Counterpoint! You can reliably solo most cyborg missions up to difficulty 6 or 7. I've been having issues grouping up lately, so solo has been kind of my thing for a couple days. Using the shotgun you can eliminate the enemies who signal alarms very quickly, usually only 1 or 2 in a group, so it's reasonable to not actually trigger an alarm until extraction. If you're going after bugs, they can basically all trigger alarms so you're just always in combat there.

Cyborg mechs (and now, I've discovered, tanks) are rough, but using artillery/avoidance they're not impossible. Also, you can run from most objectives and regroup and not fight them at all.

I can solo them fine they're just a pain in the ass. And the scouts in the cyborg mission ALWAYS get their alarm off, I've never had a bug or a illumines manage it. Those mama-farking cyborgs do it before I even see them on screen.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    indie_winter here, ready to fight for managed democracy

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    If you are using the rocket launcher someone with a resupply pack to help them reload is very helpful.

• Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    I got up to lvl 3 on my Vita yesterday soloing. I gotta jump in with some of y'all, I can feel the potential of this game waiting behind the MP pad...

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Online now to help regime change some undemocratic planets. And hopefully get myself a battlemech in the process.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    Thanks @Zoku Gojira and @Indie Winter for the missions today, sorry for my girlfriend grenading you a couple times :P

camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    I was surprised to find the SE++ thread so much more active! Get with it, Super-Earthers.

I'm writing down names I see in the past couple of pages now to add to PSN, though I imagine I have a lot of you from other games already.

• Options
    And intentional double-post:

It really is worth playing with other people, even strangers. Everybody I've played with so far has been super chill.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I bought it. Not sure when I'll get to play it but I'll throw my name in:
    Unco-ordinated / LiquidSolid

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Got the M5 APC Strategem.

GAME. CHANGER.

They just need to get the Multiplayer to be a little more stable. Every time there's a host migrating, I get booted and have to close the game and restart to reconnect.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I hear some bugs, 'borgs and bots are talking some shit about Democracy.

This will not stand. You have my guns and every bullet they can muster.

JohnnyChopsocky / Stud_Beefpile

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    NoGreatName

Going to start fresh and stream.

Add me?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Voranth wrote: »
    Thanks @Zoku Gojira and @Indie Winter for the missions today, sorry for my girlfriend grenading you a couple times :P

Hey, no worries. When any Helldiver worth his cape gets blown to bits, he just pulls himself together and gets back in the tube for more, with a song of Super Earth in his heart and a single manly tear in his eye.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I really like the strafe strategem, it just has such a satisfying visual/sound. But it also has a tendency to take out a buddy or two.

• Options
    I haven't been replying to the PMs, but I have been adding you guys to the initial post. Just so you know.

• Options
    SO has anyone run into the giant roly poly bug? How the heck to you kill that? We were shooting it in the glowing orange butt for about 15 minutes but no dice and then he squished us. Either it has INSANE hp or Mega Man has lied to me.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    What the hell, just got this on a lark. I'll be around for the next few hours, so if anyone wants a meat shield just add me, psn name is same as here

This discussion has been closed.