As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where can I buy a USB space heater?

BiweeklyAaronBiweeklyAaron Registered User regular
Like the topic says, the AC is always cranked in the office so I'm looking for something to help. I know there's also USB gloves/slippers/blankets/etc but I don't really like the look of any of them.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada if that helps anyone, so somewhere local would be preferred to save on shipping, but not necessary.

Thanks,

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    I don't know that they exist. Best case scenario, you can draw 1-2 amps from a usb port. At 5V that gives you 5-10 watts. Basically nothing in terms of space heating. Even tiny space heaters usually put out a few hundred.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    A usb port wouldn't provide anywhere near the wattage needed for a space heater.

Do you not have access to a regular ol power outlet? you can get some pretty small space heaters.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There's no such thing as a USB space heater that actually works.

Just get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TKDQ5C/

• Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    Yeah, the best you're really going to get via USB is more or less what you said you don't want...a glorified foot warmer/pillow with a very small electric heating pad, that might as well be off most of the time for how much heat it puts out.

Something like what chris posted is probably your best bet - but that said, if you're planning on using this in a work building, it might be a good idea to check with your facilities folks first. No idea what Canadian fire code is like, but I know my last job cracked down hard on people just bringing in random space heaters to work due to safety issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Have you raised it with your boss or HR?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast