As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's hope this works...

YellowHerbYellowHerb Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hi, I like art and I hope to be in the creative industry. After bouncing around the internet looking for a good community of other artists I found this one and I'm happy to say it is good. Well, take in the account that I used to stroll 4chan's /i/, I felt the people there are too wrapped up in themselves to care. I never showed my work there, but was one of the few that did their best to give meaningful critiques and advice. Iin real life, it isn't much different because it's my senior year with a bunch of sophomores and all I get are Oooo's and aaaah's even though I honestly don't deserve their ooo's and aah's.

I'm here to help and be helped.

My art classes were initially narrative painting and animation, but my teacher let me focus on skills based assignments. I was interested in digital medium, and I feel that digital media is more forgiving and less expensive than it's traditional counterparts.

Value Studies from a while ago:

Color-Frog-Size-Reduced.jpg

Still-Life-Reduced-Size.jpg

Still-Life-V3.jpg

I'll photobucket these soon, I just don't want the thread to be a no show for now.

YellowHerb on

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    If you tried to post art, it didn't work.

Grifter on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What are you using to host your images? Photobucket should be your best bet if you haven't used it already.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Because I expressed interest in entertainment design (I want to be in game art/design) my art teacher, the saint that he is, is teaching me visual development skills. The assignment is to make up a story, then design everything within that story, then after preproduction, illustrate with digital paintings of really cool parts of my story.

I haven't fully fleshed out the story, but I know how it begins and ends, and I've been pondering the world for a long time. (It's the world I'm using as a DM in my DnD campaigns). I'm taking this step by step, I've started with architecture. These are exploratory silhouette design sketches. It was here did I choose to make the environmnent dry, clay ridden, and windy.

Feldspian-Huts-Reduced-Siz.jpg

Silhouette design sketches of my main character, 'Gneiss'. She's a priestess in the humble farming community the story starts in. Since the story takes place in a total of three different environments, moderate, hot, and cold I had to take in mind that Gneiss won't be wearing the same thing forever. I hope you guys can point out which designs have the most potential.

Gneiss-Designs-Reduced-Siz.jpg

Please, please forgive me for the huge images : / I also made a character sheet of gneiss, but I have no way to upload it as of yet.

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    glar... why is it I can see the art work? : / Okay photobucket it is.

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't think you are getting this through your head:

Your images do not show up. At all.

Everyone is looking at those little X'd boxes.

Godfather on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't even see the X'd boxes.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well I uploaded all my images on blogger and I figured that it was just as good as photobucket. I'll use photobucket from now on then : /

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The first one looks like a cephalopod. Not a frog. Cephalopod. You know, like octopus, cuttlfish, squid, calamari, etc.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oops sorry I guess. You're right it does though : P

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh yay! I found some sketches of clothes Gneiss might where.

GneissDesignsketchbook1.jpg

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MufasaJoe wrote:
    The first one looks like a cephalopod. Not a frog. Cephalopod. You know, like octopus, cuttlfish, squid, calamari, etc.

It wasn't until you said what it didn't look like that I saw what it was. For value studies I find it very hard to work out where your lighting is coming from.

Welcome to the AC

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    MufasaJoe wrote:

It wasn't until you said what it didn't look like that I saw what it was. For value studies I find it very hard to work out where your lighting is coming from.

Welcome to the AC

Hmm, well I had a lamp giving intense lighting just right over the frog statuette, and a hardy amount of it bounced from the table back onto the frog's legs. That's not an excuse though because even for it's unfinishedness I was giddy for learning how to use a layer solely for textures. Oh and thank you.

YellowHerb on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That last post is more like it.

Kinda reminds me of Alduar.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Tulipreduced.jpg

Cropped-Ballerina.jpg

This is how far I am in digital painting. They're just from stock photo's.

YellowHerb on