As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help remembering an animated scene with a flare gun. (Please Close)

EncEnc A Fool with CompassionPronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
edited March 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm remembering a scene from an animated show where a group of heroes infiltrate a fort then shoot off a flare gun, starting a major battle. It was at night and I think vaguely WWI/WWII feel, but I'm also 90% certain it was in an anime or anime-styled video game.

It's been bugging me all week, anyone got any ideas where this scene comes from?

Enc on

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The only time I remember a flare preceding a fight is in the ME3 turian platoon mission on tuchanka.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    What I remember is that there is a struggle with the sneaking group, and one manages to break free and fire the flare gun, which causes everyone to stop and stare for a moment, then there is a pan out across a field or valley and an allied force starts an attack (I think with tanks or maybe rifles).

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I thought Waltz with Bashir, but I I'm not sure if the flares continue as a motif (I've never seen the whole thing)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjsSJcf32p4

It's got that kinda flash/archer movement though, so I'm not sure you'd remember it as anime. Nothing else comes to mind right now though.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Given how vague memory is, maybe you're thinking of Valkyria chronicles? A tank is involved and there's not really a struggle, but there is a flare gun involved in an anime-styled video game in WWI/WWII during a sneaking mission.

• Options
    I did play a lot of those games. Which mission?

• Options
    SunDragonSunDragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I seem to remember a scene like this in Attack on Titan. I think it's in episode 17 ""Female Titan: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 1"".

Edit: oops, should have read closer. Dont think this is what he's looking for. Sorry!

SunDragon on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Valiant Hearts also had some scenes like this.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AROfX7Z4L5A&t=10m10s

is the clip from Valkyria Chronicles.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I'm remembering a scene from an animated show where a group of heroes infiltrate a fort then shoot off a flare gun, starting a major battle. It was at night and I think vaguely WWI/WWII feel, but I'm also 90% certain it was in an anime or anime-styled video game.

It's been bugging me all week, anyone got any ideas where this scene comes from?

It doesn't really fit what you're mentioning and is kind of a stretch, but when I hear "people infiltrating a fort in WWI setting off a battle with a flaregun" I think of the second level of TimeSplitters 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScH573D8-YM

It might not be what you're looking for, but you should play it anyway if you have a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube lying around somewhere.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The episodes of Justice League "Savage Time" parts 1 & 2 could also fit the bill though I don't recall that scene specifically. It featured Sgt Rock.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @Enc Got anything on the charcters? Were they all white? Any colors on their uniforms? Any aircraft?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm wanting to say they were your standard anime characters, and that it was 100% at night time and animation. One was wearing Chinese clothes (the lace-up front silk suit sort of thing).

Enc on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Do you know around when you saw it or how old it looked? I found two older anime the the also fit that setting - Konpeki no Kantai and Zipang.

• Options
    I ended up finding it, it was a scene from Night Raid 1931, an anime taking place in Manchuria during the leadup to WWII. Thanks everyone!

• Options
    That said, it's a pretty ironic show name for the scene I was looking for. I had forgotten entirely about it.

This discussion has been closed.