As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, March 10, 2015 - You Too Much T.V.

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub
You Too Much T.V.

You Too Much T.V.
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/you-too-much-t.v

work hard, play harder

Anonymous

After reading so many crunch time horror stories, sometimes testers and devs alike forget the fun times. Well here’s one of my favorite memories:

I was working on an MMO as a tester quite a few years ago. It was well before crunch, as we had the same content to chew through over and over again. I had a very long night before and had not gotten any sleep. This was mainly due to the acid I had dropped pretty late in the night and was still tripping balls when I went to work the next day.

Tripping at work was pretty sketchy, but luckily for me being in a nerd environment I could get away with wearing my shades in doors and tossing on a headset and keep to myself.

So there I was, tripping balls and exploring this beautiful island playfield. I was running around as an invincible Game Master and had finishing moves set to always. The Dx10 environment was just absolutely stunning and more vivid than ever.

Everything was magical and fun until I came across one of those Picts. He started hitting my avatar with a club so I decided to “Finish Him”.

My dual wielding Conqueror quickly sliced off his head and I watched as it landed on the beach. I felt such a ‘rush’ as the animation played with blood squirting all over the place that I gripped the keyboard tighter. My eyes then focused on the head laying on the ground. Suddenly I noticed something very strange. The head of the Pict started to smile at me…  then it blinked… then the eyes looked around, and then I heard him scream! I took my headphones off and rolled back a bit away from the desk and looked around the room… it took me a while to realize the animation artist had just forgotten to turn off the emotes ‘on death’ and this wasn’t the acid.

Geth on

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Awesome, The Trenches comic makes its return!

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Holy canoli, it's the Trenches!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GinormousGinormous Registered User regular
    Woot! The comic finally returned! Also, great 80's reference/joke. Also, also, why not play along with it or at least not deny it? Isaac found a way to enjoy a car washing simulation.

• Options
    PublikwerksPublikwerks Registered User regular
    i-XvRwBVV.jpg

A moment of silence for the fallen......

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Is it still the same writer/artist?

Working at EAAA games cannot end well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DJSquiggyDJSquiggy Registered User regular
    didnt even read the comic. had to post immediately and say welcome back to the trenches

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Trenches is actually back? Surely this is the first sign of the apocalypse :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Morgan BlackpowderMorgan Blackpowder Registered User regular
    I'm very glad it's back!

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Eh... glad its back but they could have kicked it off a bit stronger than with a vague Karate Kid reference.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    rorschach test time!

I see a middle finger and two penises in the shading on the building.

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Yes. I am moistened by the revelation that this has come up to me and blessed me with its divinity.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Yay! New Trenches!
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's the same writer/artist as at the end of last season, which is Ty Halley for both roles:
    https://twitter.com/tyhalley

Gwen looks a lot different than the last time we saw her though:
    i-BbBdP69.jpg
    http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/represent

i-XvRwBVV.jpg

A moment of silence for the fallen......
    Link to 5 month long thread in case anyone missed some of the tales:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/193678/trenches-tuesday-october-14-2014-guest-art-mackenzie-schubert/

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    Awesome! The Trenches is back. Now I can die in peace.

• Options
    Blackbird71Blackbird71 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    After that tale, I wouldn't be surprised to see news along the lines of "Major game developer issues ban on employees wearing sunglasses indoors."

Blackbird71 on
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »
    Yay! New Trenches!
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's the same writer/artist as at the end of last season, which is Ty Halley for both roles:
    https://twitter.com/tyhalley

I thought Monica (from Strip Search) was the artist last season?

I really wish they'd update the About page when they change writer or artist.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    I thought Monica (from Strip Search) was the artist last season?

I really wish they'd update the About page when they change writer or artist.
    Monica left halfway through last season. And I agree, the writer/artist info should be updated on the site.