As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Last Man On Earth: The show about which whom we should talk [SPOILERS, so to speak]

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Booooooooo....

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    There are so many ways they can go with Mike. The darkest I guess would be
    Phil finding the burnt out remains and not realising it is his brother. But I don't think they'd do that, it basically encourages there being no hope at all.

I do think Phil2 is a goner, if only because his character had grown very stale.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Most likely...
    The brother lands on the other side of the world, so they can continue doing cameos without having to worry so much about scheduling conflicts.

Or the twilight zone ending...
    Phil's entire storyline is revealed to be a delusion in his brother's head. And the brother is the last man on earth.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Most likely...
    The brother lands on the other side of the world, so they can continue doing cameos without having to worry so much about scheduling conflicts.

Or the twilight zone ending...
    Phil's entire storyline is revealed to be a delusion in his brother's head. And the brother is the last man on earth.

Oh god, that's even darker.

EDIT: Thought of one.

Mike eventually finds the
    alive in Tuscon signs and the letter to go to Miami. He gets there, only it's actually been 5 years since the virus for Mike unlike the two that we see for Phil and co, and the group has moved on without notice or died.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I guess it's a slow slide into oblivion for everyone now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Huh, so no Soyuz, but a weird fictional return craft that looks to be (loosely) based on the Constellation program.

Me watching them dig up the body: "Don't bring it in the hooooouse!"

Tandy is an actual clown now. Never knows when to shut the eff up.

Phil is sooo dead. And then the rest of them, with Carol creating fire hazards everywhere.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's useless to pick apart the the space travel in this series (plus, I know barely anything about the ISS personally). They would not call it "Descent" module, they would refer to it by the spacecraft's actual name, as they do with the Soyuz. It's not like it's an escape pod that came with the space station. ;)

Spoiler'd, just in case.
    The sort of tumble they depicted I think would have to be totally un-survivable in reality. Spacecraft have been destroyed in reentry in way better landings. In show terms, I think this might translate to him landing 1) somewhere he has no idea where he is (which I think he already confronted as a possibility) and 2) him being badly injured, which would make his survival all the more trying.

Also the little caterpillar (silk worm? I honestly don't know) might be dead. Mark Miller will be fine though.

Phil though? Yeah, he's dead. Expect a dramatic burial in the next season opener.

Credit where credit is due: they didn't make the Gravity mistake of depicting an astronaut holding on by a tether being the equivalent of falling out of a building or being dragged behind an aircraft. Once you stop, you're pretty much freaking stopped. That's the whole point of being in the same orbit as your object of reference (the space station you desperately want to get on board of).

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Phil (man) will die. Brother and worm show up. Worm secures naming rights. Tandy is still Tandy.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So new episodes started out of the blue tonight. I didn't realize the show was back on. They must have finished brining off those episodes of Border Town and got back to their good shows.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Wait wahhhhh? Seriously?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I enjoy and admire a show that can be weird and slow. This is that show.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wasn't much comedy in this episode.
    The two driving around a dead city in an ice cream truck was a little funny, though.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That was a cool episode, and the same vibe as some of the early Phil ones, though less on the humor side.

Welcome back, little show!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Finally some background on the virus, too.
    Was expecting the boat guy's suit to be breached as well, and for him to die horribly (offscreen). Then Mike, having Tandy's immunity, shrugs, takes off his helmet, and heads for Tuscon. I suppose leaving boat guy alive lets him show up later for added comedy/drama.

• Options
    Didn't tge last season just end?

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    It was just a midseason hiatus.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The virus would presumably be long dead by now since it apparently wiped out 99% of animal life. Unless the plants can be carriers. Anyone who managed to dodge it should be fine.

Bordertown got bumped to the 7:00 deathslot. Do we know how Cooper Barrett is doing in the ratings? It seems like they're desperately trying to plug it by keeping it in the primo between-Simpsons-and-Family-Guy slot, but i really don't see the appeal.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Pathogens really aren't something most people (myself included) understand well. Bubonic Plague, I think, does not just linger in the air like in the movie Outbreak--but it is transmitted by very small fleas that might still be alive? So it's easy to see how someone would be paranoid if incorrect.

• Options
    It's also kind of a comedy with comedy science, so who knows how accurate they plan to be.

Though props for at least mentioning once that gas doesn't last forever.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    The virus would presumably be long dead by now since it apparently wiped out 99% of animal life. Unless the plants can be carriers. Anyone who managed to dodge it should be fine.

Bordertown got bumped to the 7:00 deathslot. Do we know how Cooper Barrett is doing in the ratings? It seems like they're desperately trying to plug it by keeping it in the primo between-Simpsons-and-Family-Guy slot, but i really don't see the appeal.

Cooper Barret could be decent if they got rid of the two annoying best friends.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That was fun. The Pedalo-water-trike was just hilarious. And how unlikely an escape pod would hit a cruise ship.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    This was an odd episode. I felt like they were going for Tandy having a suppressed sense of glee that
    Stacy
    was gone, but he seemed to be genuinely broken up about it.

The whole "that's not a knife" exchange was another moneyshot for the series as a whole.

Mr Khan on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I now want "Tubthumping" performed at my viking funeral.

Gim on
  • Options
    Best use of "Tha's no' a knoife, mate" ever.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Did it feel like it was very short to anyone else? The credits hit the screen and it only felt like the episode was half over. Maybe I had an aneurysm.

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    Did it feel like it was very short to anyone else? The credits hit the screen and it only felt like the episode was half over. Maybe I had an aneurysm.

That's been happening to me a lot lately, but because i've been playing Fire Emblem while watching TV.

• Options
    I felt sad for the boots. Those are some great glittery boots.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I felt sad for the boots. Those are some great glittery boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLUdbGm0a6E

• Options
    Is it really so bad that Todd's flirting with a love triangle? Society has ended, social norms are dead - the major problem is he's keeping secrets.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Is it really so bad that Todd's flirting with a love triangle? Society has ended, social norms are dead - the major problem is he's keeping secrets.

The bacon thing was way worse.

• Options
    Well, I was skeptical they would do it, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbeIWFIfKmQ

• Options
    I loved how they pulled off Todd's confession, where it looked like he was doing the right thing and then he just veers off and is all.
    Not like Big Love, but let's... yeah, let's just do Big Love.
    and it just flops out there. The best of cringe comedy, followed by Phil greeting his long-lost brother
    by punching him in the nuts. Bonus points because they called it out as a game he played with his friends when he was little earlier.

One would think that Phil could help fix his potency problem by just not jacking it for a few weeks. I mean, this is Phil, but still.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I loved how they pulled off Todd's confession, where it looked like he was doing the right thing and then he just veers off and is all.
    Not like Big Love, but let's... yeah, let's just do Big Love.
    and it just flops out there. The best of cringe comedy, followed by Phil greeting his long-lost brother
    by punching him in the nuts. Bonus points because they called it out as a game he played with his friends when he was little earlier.

One would think that Phil could help fix his potency problem by just not jacking it for a few weeks. I mean, this is Phil, but still.

Phil is dead. You're talking about Tandy.

• Options
    I'm curious how they're going to handle this now, I don't want them to kill Sudekis off after all of that, maybe he has time to commit to it? He does films but not like he's constantly on call lately.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Oh my god, those last ten seconds. I choked on my drink.

• Options
    Well, that was disappointing.

• Options
    Well, that was disappointing.

They must not have expected the show to last beyond one season because this is the third time they're using the 'new guy shows up, Tandy tries to sabotage him' joke.

• Options
    It was hardly the same thing, the other two showed up and were generally nice and helpful, Mike showed up and set about bringing Phil down, intentionally or not, and Phil isn't starting from a good position already. He belittles, embarrasses, and undermines him, so Phil spurts our two truths to show he isn't this perfect guy. Seemed pretty realistic and in this situation I'm fairly sure Phil is the victim, the whole group were dicks about it, considering Season 2 Phil has been doing his best.

• Options
    It was hardly the same thing, the other two showed up and were generally nice and helpful, Mike showed up and set about bringing Phil down, intentionally or not, and Phil isn't starting from a good position already. He belittles, embarrasses, and undermines him, so Phil spurts our two truths to show he isn't this perfect guy. Seemed pretty realistic and in this situation I'm fairly sure Phil is the victim, the whole group were dicks about it, considering Season 2 Phil has been doing his best.

... Tandy punched Mike in the nuts the moment he saw him. And then proceeded to try and tear Mike down because he was explaining his situation (which, yes, happened to include being in space, which is cool. He should lie about that to make Tandy feel better?)

Tandy deserved the Skidmark reveal many times over by that point.

I don't think that Mike is a saint, bou have funny ideas about what qualifies as sabotage.

• Options

Phil doing his best has earned their tolerance, but they still think he's a dick.

With this development, though, i'm starting to think that the show is entirely about Phil overcoming all of his immature complexes.