As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Last Man On Earth: The show about which whom we should talk [SPOILERS, so to speak]

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Not sure Todd was warning Phil on purpose, he just knew New Phil was gonna take him down and was unable to hide his emotion. Todd wears his emotions on his face.
    I don't think Carol knew and possibly only Todd knew it was coming. Still, all it takes is a couple days in town before New Phil decided to essentially murder Phil.

Everyone except for Carol knew. Not a single one of the others were surprised when Phil took Tandy out.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    On wikipedia the episode summary and the one I assume Fox released specified Philitary left Phil for dead

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Todd was clearly warning Tandy. He will go along with it because of the others but I doubt he was happy about it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't think Todd was warning Tandy. I think he felt bad because he knew what was coming. My gut reaction is that he kept his mouth shut under threat from Phil that he'd suffer the same fate.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I don't think Todd was threatened, but he definitely wasn't comfortable with what they were doing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I imagine Todd had to go along with it since he was talked into it, as it was the best for the group.

• Options
    So, in case anyone is still interested in this show, the next season will be premiering on the 27th, which is next Sunday.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Preview bits i saw while watching reruns on Fox over the past month seem to indicate that they'll go visit Carol's home, although she's from Delaware so that would be a pretty long haul. I could see the desire to get as far away from Tuscon as possible.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    So will season 2 be focused on a post apocalyptic road trip then?

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Preview bits i saw while watching reruns on Fox over the past month seem to indicate that they'll go visit Carol's home, although she's from Delaware so that would be a pretty long haul. I could see the desire to get as far away from Tuscon as possible.

Well I can't see the current Tuscon people being redeemable in anyway. Maybe they'll come back and find that Army jerk's gotten a little to big for his britches as more survivors show up and he exerts more control

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Well I can't see the current Tuscon people being redeemable in anyway. Maybe they'll come back and find that Army jerk's gotten a little to big for his britches as more survivors show up and he exerts more control

If we ever see or hear from them again, I bet it's just to find out they all died from something insanely simple and stupid that real-Phil would have fixed somehow just in the course of being an asshole.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    They still have the "crops" that are just jalapeños.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The first episode had him traveling 50 states and hoping forward a year or so in like 5 minutes. There's not much need to extend a road trip unless its for budget reasons/they can make it interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

It was pretty clear that Todd still didn't want to go along with it (tellingly, although Army Phil's plan caused Carol to leave him, Todd's discomfort was what gave the game away to OG Phil a moment before the trap was sprung). He was just still reeling from the revelation that Phil had tried to kill him.

• Options
    Bump for new season.

That was a fairly intense ending, honestly. I liked seeing Phil and Carol having fun in the White House, though.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    It's still early this season, but I'm excited that the first episode this season is more like the first couple episodes last season. Looking good so far!

• Options
    Interesting enough first episode to get me to watch the second, so... good job to them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    That was a good season opener. It had some pretty good jokes and set up a few plot threads for the rest of the season.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    This was a good "reset" episode.

Phil and Carol worked really well together.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Really good start to season two:
    I loved that they were using a B-2 bomber just to go shopping in.

Great that we got some Space Station scenes too, I wasn't sure if they'd actually follow up on that.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Season premiere:
    All of the caterpillars dying was kind of heart breaking. I guess that's the advantage of drawing faces on various balls.

Great opening episode, all told. It was damned funny and set up some great potential arcs. I'm glad this show is back on.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I thought the show really lost its way in the first season... the best parts were when Phil was alone in the first episode, and we just replayed the same sketch with him being an awful person every time a new character entered the show. New season has potential. Don't let me down, new season.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I thought the show really lost its way in the first season... the best parts were when Phil was alone in the first episode, and we just replayed the same sketch with him being an awful person every time a new character entered the show. New season has potential. Don't let me down, new season.
    Yeah, they even had them hanging out in the inflatable booze pools again. :)

• Options
    This episode-
    So I suspected as much about them ditching Phil and then something happening with other phil. Looks like things went bad.

I wonder if the solar panels and stuff are still there. I'm worried about the Brother he has to land in Water and await pickup so he's very right to be worried. That said he is an astronaut so at least he'll have basic survival training and maybe some engineering skills if he does meet up with his brother .

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    This episode-
    So I suspected as much about them ditching Phil and then something happening with other phil. Looks like things went bad.

I wonder if the solar panels and stuff are still there. I'm worried about the Brother he has to land in Water and await pickup so he's very right to be worried. That said he is an astronaut so at least he'll have basic survival training and maybe some engineering skills if he does meet up with his brother .

All of the problems you described are easy.

The real challenge?

Scheduling conflicts.

Every day he spends filming on set is one less day he could be spending with Olivia Wilde.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    This episode-
    Soyuz (the craft he'd be using) is and always has been designed exclusively for land recovery. Still, we've already established this show has nothing to do with reality.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This episode-
    Soyuz (the craft he'd be using) is and always has been designed exclusively for land recovery. Still, we've already established this show has nothing to do with reality.
    It can also land in water, and given he said he doesn't know how to pilot it, that seems the more likely outcome so he doesn't explode.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Morkath wrote: »
    This episode-
    It can also land in water, and given he said he doesn't know how to pilot it, that seems the more likely outcome so he doesn't explode.
    I also mentioned at the season finale, this isn't like jumping out of a plane with a parachute--I'm very certain that to use the Soyuz spacecraft to return from the ISS to Earth, you need basically a cosmodrome full of Roskosmos personnel at Baikonur (or possibly another mission control center) to direct you so you don't burn up on reentry or crash into a mountain or drown. It's a pretty complicated piece of machinery. Of course, I'm pretty sure a few hundred people in Kazakhstan or Russia or Cape Canaveral didn't escape the plague, right? So if he's ever going to earth, he'll refute my point immediately.

Then again, the few times we saw the ISS, I could have sworn there were no Soyuz spacecraft docked with it, even though there technically should be one (though not two).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    They are not remotely worried about scientific accuracy in this show.
    If anything they will plot land the capsule on top of new psychotic murderous phil right as he is about to pull the trigger on Tandy Phil.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yeah, given how the B-2 handled in the streets of Washington, that wouldn't surprise me.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Has there ever been any indication as to what happened to all of the bodies? Or are they just going to completely avoid that to keep the show more light hearted?

• Options
    Has there ever been any indication as to what happened to all of the bodies? Or are they just going to completely avoid that to keep the show more light hearted?
    IIRC the show-runners answered that in an interview (I can't find the link). They won't address it in the show directly, but you should just assume the virus somehow consumes corpses until there's nothing left, no trace.

• Options
    They did make a joke in the last episode about Carol's roommate's skeleton still being in their room. Although it was medical skeleton.

post.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    It's possible that the NASA guys realized they were doomed and they came up with a contingency plan so that Phil's brother could land on his own as their last dying mission.

But again... scheduling conflicts.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    i find it weird his brotehr is the only person on the space station

also if we wanted scientific accuracy, they wouldn't be driving around and phil's water thing last season wouldn't have worked

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Frankly they'd all be dead by now in scientific accuracy, except maybe army Phil.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Scientific accuracy can eat a bag of dicks.

More driving around in B2s plzkthx.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I am still amazed that this show ever got made... watching the second episode now.
    Sure this show can't be for everyone, but it's for me.

great misdirect on a guest star.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Haha
    Will Ferrell!

• Options
    Problem is they didn't even include him in the previews.

This was a hilarious episode, though. The beach full of dead whales was both morbid and gut-busting. Some heartwarming stuff, some abject silliness, this is the essence of the show. It's much nicer to follow now that Phil isn't a complete toolbox, though i suppose he had to go through that character arc to make this part more meaningful (as Calvin and Hobbes once posited, it's easy for some "sickeningly wholesome nerd" to be good if that's all he's inclined to).