As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Cell Phone Thread

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Any recommendations for a Windows mobile device with stylus, like the Treo 750? I need to be able to load and navigate the Citrix client, which you can't do without the stylus. I like the Treo 750, but want something newer since I intend to use for the next 2 years.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Any recommendations for a Windows mobile device with stylus, like the Treo 750? I need to be able to load and navigate the Citrix client, which you can't do without the stylus. I like the Treo 750, but want something newer since I intend to use for the next 2 years.

look for anything by HTC. the Mogul/TyTN(depending on carrier), Tilt, Touch, and a couple others I can't remember are all WM6 devices that have touch screens. Everything I listed except the touch has a full qwerty keyboard, the Touch is kinda iPhone like, touchscreen only(but with talk/end keys and a 5way dpad)

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The AT&T Tilt seems interesting. I just went to a store and checked it out. That might be the way I go.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just got this Sony Ericsson K818 when I was in Hong Kong last week. Man, the camera is really great, and I love the Industrial Design. Save Apple (obviously), Sony really seems like they know what they are doing with ID these days.

Sony-Ericsson-K810.jpg

Storm Shadow on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have that phone! It's called the K810i over here. I've had mine for maybe 6 months now. It's been superceded by the K850i, which is possibly the second most gorgeous phone on the market (the SE s500i wins. iPhone comes third)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's really nothing but a phone, but I've had a Sanyo Katana since Christmas and I really like it. It's been in the pool with me three times and still works like a charm, it's about a half inch thick when folded so it's compact, and its vibrate function is very robust.

Its keypad is smooth but it's easier, imo, to tell when you've hit the key than on the razr. I like the way it handles T9 texting, too - it makes more sense to me to hit the down key to go to the next word on the list rather than the right button or a Next key - and so I can text a full to capacity message in about 15 seconds.

Alpine on
  • Options
    steeefsteeef Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For those still searching for a good phone that doesn't have extra bells and whistles (e.g. a camera), I found the Motorola V195. Apparently they have good reception and Bluetooth, which is something of a rarity in lower-end phones. It's been discontinued, but they're still fairly easy to find via eBay for around $50.

steeef on
    steeef.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Anybody have any experience with the T-Mobile Shadow yet?

I'm kinda looking into getting a new phone and it looked pretty decent.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The AT&T Tilt seems interesting. I just went to a store and checked it out. That might be the way I go.

The tilt seems sexy, but I'd still suggest thinking about sprint's sero plan and getting the newest HTC from them (Mogul/Titan)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    Anybody have any experience with the T-Mobile Shadow yet?

I'm kinda looking into getting a new phone and it looked pretty decent.

I'll ask my brother tomorrow and see what his feedback is so far. I know he's sold a few and used one for about a week.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I have an HTC Apache and I love it. I love having a PDA and a phone in one, and I like the slideout keyboard.

Heres the thing- I bought two of them, as both were great deals; one was $50 when broken ones were going for $80+ and one was about $90 and had a bunch of extras. The $50 one turned out to be broken, but it looks like its going to be an easy fix, just the miniUSB port needs replacing.

In any case, this is a roundabout way of asking if anyone has experience with the HTC Mogul vs. the Apache, and if its worth the extra money to upgrade. I can either sell both of my phones and buy a Mogul, or sell the fixed one and use the money elsewhere. Is it a huge difference or not worth it?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I saw our dummy model for the SE W580i today and just fell in love with the way it looks.

Don't get me wrong here: I'm not a cell phone geek. I don't text. I don't put music on my phone. I don't browse the web with my phone.

Just something about the physical design of it was awesome. Hopefully we still have a few left when stuff has dropped to like 70% off.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mogul is pretty nice. It has bluetooth issues that HTC still hasn't fixed (not a big deal for me, I don't use it much) but that should be resolved with a January ROM release. I have definitely not been unhappy with mine, even with the bugs currently in the phone. It's still weighty, but it's so much less bulky than the 6700. The lighter weight stylus is also great.

Also the Sprint Mogul has the Java platform built in. The Verizon 6800 does not. Fuck Verizon.

This is kind of key for awesome programs like Opera Mini.

JAEF on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of Opera Mini, is there any reason why it can't establish a GPRS connection on a Nokia 6230i?

The Built-in WAP browser works fine, but no Java based apps can connect to the net... :(

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anyone one here own/able to answer questions about the LG Rumor phone carried by Sprint? Thinking of upgrading and want to make sure it does the following.

Ability to assign ringtones to individual contacts, ability to connect it to my PC to transfer pictures and ringtones through mini USB, some other feature I'm sure I'm forgetting.

King Kong on
  • Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just purchased a HTC Touch from Sprint. Hope it was a good idea. I'm sick of paying AT&T $90 a month after taxes for a blackberry.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Epyon9283 wrote: »
    I just purchased a HTC Touch from Sprint. Hope it was a good idea. I'm sick of paying AT&T $90 a month after taxes for a blackberry.
    Let us know how you like it. I'm probably going to be getting one for Christmas (upgrade from my current Treo 650), and I'd love to hear some first hand impressions.

From the reviews I've read, it sounds like a great phone that has made some solid improvements over the original Touch. It sounds perfect for me.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've got this big post up about my internal debate over getting an iPhone now or not, but it talks a little bit about jailbreaking and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to talk about it. No response from moe on the subject.

But basically, should I buy an iPhone now, or wait until the 3G version/3rd party apps come out? If I got one now, would jailbreaking it void the warranty/cause any real damage?

Also, is 3G confirmed/worth the wait?

Thanks!

Qorzm on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Qorzm wrote: »
    But basically, should I buy an iPhone now, or wait until the 3G version/3rd party apps come out? If I got one now, would jailbreaking it void the warranty/cause any real damage?

Thanks!

Coming from a former iPhone owner, wait. 3G is definitely worth it. Browsing the web on EDGE is painful. PAINFUL.

Jailbreaking, if they find out, voids the warranty. Who the hell knows when they're going to allow 3rd party apps on it.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Qorzm wrote: »

Thanks!

Coming from a former iPhone owner, wait. 3G is definitely worth it. Browsing the web on EDGE is painful. PAINFUL.

Jailbreaking, if they find out, voids the warranty. Who the hell knows when they're going to allow 3rd party apps on it.
    Thanks for the info.

If I was to buy one now, would the warranty allow me to switch it out for a 3G model? Whether I damage it somehow myself to get a new one, or just request a new one, would they switch it it out, or just give me the identical model?

Qorzm on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Warranty is for same model only. If you get lucky and a company no longer stocks your phone or you're going through insurance and they don't have stock (which with the iphone hahaha insurance) then there's a change you could get a newer device. Otherwise, companies don't like to give away their monies.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    Mogul is pretty nice. It has bluetooth issues that HTC still hasn't fixed (not a big deal for me, I don't use it much) but that should be resolved with a January ROM release. I have definitely not been unhappy with mine, even with the bugs currently in the phone. It's still weighty, but it's so much less bulky than the 6700. The lighter weight stylus is also great.

Also the Sprint Mogul has the Java platform built in. The Verizon 6800 does not. Fuck Verizon.

This is kind of key for awesome programs like Opera Mini.

I wanted to like this, but I pretty much vomited on myself when using it in the store. Presumably(and hopefully) there are far better apps to use on it than the installed ones? I'm sure the browser can be replaced, and as for general operation, I guess if it supports Windows Mobile 6 that might be a big upgrade.

It may end up being a good idea to wait for the 3g version(but god knows how expensive it'll be), but in the 10 or so minutes that I used one, I would not at all describe browsing as being that bad.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I already flashed my 6700 to WM6, so I'm set there.
    I'd love to carry around something that wasn't so ridiculously bulky, but I'm not about to pay that much more if thats the only real noticeable upgrade.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Let us know how you like it. I'm probably going to be getting one for Christmas (upgrade from my current Treo 650), and I'd love to hear some first hand impressions.

From the reviews I've read, it sounds like a great phone that has made some solid improvements over the original Touch. It sounds perfect for me.

I recently switched to AT&T and considered the Touch. I ended up going with the Tilt though because I found that you can install the Touch interface cabs to the Tilt to make it more finger friendly. I prefer the slide-out keyboard of the Tilt to the onscreen Touch keyboard. The Tilt is a touch bulky (especially after upgrading from a Razr) but I got the belt-clip instead of putting it in my breast pocket. I can't even count the number of times I've used Opera to look up something when I'm on the go, or get a quick detour around traffic using Google Maps. If you've got 3G in your area, connectivity is blazing.

I'd recommend going to your local wireless store and play around with the models you're considering. Don't play with the stupid ones tethered to the wall - you won't get a good idea of what it weighs, how it feels in your pocket, etc. Ask them to see one out of the box to get a feel for it. And WM6 is much better than WM5 - very customizable so do some reading up to see what apps you may want (Opera Mobile, eBook readers).

Oh and there's a version of SCUMMVM for WM6, so I pulled down my box of old Lucasarts P&C adventure games and I've been playing Monkey Island in the can at the office...good times. :)

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bouncing_SoulBouncing_Soul Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh and there's a version of SCUMMVM for WM6, so I pulled down my box of old Lucasarts P&C adventure games and I've been playing Monkey Island in the can at the office...good times. :)

I think you just helped me make my decision on getting Verizon's VX6800.

Bouncing_Soul on
    Umlauf.gif
    Buy some useless stuff at my Cafepress site!
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I recently switched to AT&T and considered the Touch. I ended up going with the Tilt though because I found that you can install the Touch interface cabs to the Tilt to make it more finger friendly. I prefer the slide-out keyboard of the Tilt to the onscreen Touch keyboard. The Tilt is a touch bulky (especially after upgrading from a Razr) but I got the belt-clip instead of putting it in my breast pocket. I can't even count the number of times I've used Opera to look up something when I'm on the go, or get a quick detour around traffic using Google Maps. If you've got 3G in your area, connectivity is blazing.

I'd recommend going to your local wireless store and play around with the models you're considering. Don't play with the stupid ones tethered to the wall - you won't get a good idea of what it weighs, how it feels in your pocket, etc. Ask them to see one out of the box to get a feel for it. And WM6 is much better than WM5 - very customizable so do some reading up to see what apps you may want (Opera Mobile, eBook readers).

Yeah, I've messed around with it in a store but didn't get much time to really dive into it. I think it's what I'm going to go with, based on everything I've read and heard. The main issue most people seem to have with it is getting used to the onscreen touch keyboard input. I don't think it'll bother me though, since I rarely text message and don't enter much text when web browsing and stuff. Seems like a perfect fit for me.

Also, I don't know about the original HTC touch, but Sprint's version does have WM6. It's also apparently much more powerful. From what I've read, it's apparently now one of the fastest smartphones on the market right now, which is a big plus.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    the CDMA version of the Touch has a suretype style onscreen keyboard that works really well. I've had mine for about 2 1/2 weeks now and I absolutely love it. I also have a mogul that work provides me for business use, and the touch is leaps and bounds better than the mogul.

Honestly, after about a day when you get used to the on-screen keyboard, the touch is a wonderful little device.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

I think you just helped me make my decision on getting Verizon's VX6800.

I just found CellDoom and now have Doom 2 and The Ultimate Doom on my Shadow.

Woo.

Aka: I'm loving the Shadow. The only thing I don't like so far is something with WM6 I guess and that's the lack of a decent alarm clock. Have to download(aka buy) a decent program. Which sucks. :|

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Just got the Touch today. I'm having real trouble activating the touchflow interface. I keep opening the calendar instead. I also can't seem to scroll using my finger like the manual states is possible. The suretype like onscreen keyboard is odd. I've never used suretype before but this keyboard doesn't seem to have any kind of autocorrect so I have to hit keys twice to get the second letter. I've had the most luck with block recognition since its most like graffiti from my palm days.

I've only had limited experience with windows mobile before. Its odd coming from a blackberry. I have no idea where anything is. Stuff takes a while to open. Pocket IE sucks but I'm not sure if I want to purchase opera mobile yet. I just purchased the missing sync so I can sync the phone with my Mac. Works awesome. Got all my contacts and calendar stuff on the phone.

Sprint has been... inconsistent with the service. I got the phone and turned it on. Couldn't make any phone calls but I could get online. Called the number they gave on a card that came with a phone to activate. Got transferred three times finally ending up on an automated activation system. It asked for a phone number and then transferred me to nowhere. Call ended... Awesome. Call back and get to tech support. They activate the phone for me. I ask when my number will be ported. They transferred me to LNP department. They said they couldn't tell so they'd open a high priority ticket. Less than an hour later my AT&T phone is dead and calls are going to my new phone. Sweet... Almost. The phone still thinks it has the temporary number. Guess that'll be another call to support.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    DunbarDunbar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just got the Touch today. I'm having real trouble activating the touchflow interface. I keep opening the calendar instead. I also can't seem to scroll using my finger like the manual states is possible. The suretype like onscreen keyboard is odd. I've never used suretype before but this keyboard doesn't seem to have any kind of autocorrect so I have to hit keys twice to get the second letter. I've had the most luck with block recognition since its most like graffiti from my palm days.

The touch keyboard has two main settings. If you look at the bottom of keyboard, there will be a key that says (focusing on letter keyboards here) ABC or XT9. XT9 is the predictive text keyboard, where you just punch away and it tells you what it thinks you're typing. This is actually pretty bright, and you can teach it new words. ABC is just like you said, tap the button multiple times to get a certain letter on the button. You can tap that XT9 or ABC button to switch between keyboard types.

The scrolling thing is kinda fickle, partly because windows mobile isn't really built for it, partly because it isn't very sensitive. If you're okay with mucking around with the registry, you can change that sensitivity.

The touchflo cube should be easy. Start your swipe below the screen, where it says sprint. The touch sensitive area seems to extend slightly below the actual screen.

I've only had limited experience with windows mobile before. Its odd coming from a blackberry. I have no idea where anything is. Stuff takes a while to open. Pocket IE sucks but I'm not sure if I want to purchase opera mobile yet. I just purchased the missing sync so I can sync the phone with my Mac. Works awesome. Got all my contacts and calendar stuff on the phone.

One thing to keep in mind with winmo is that programs don't close unless you hold down on the X, or close using HTC's neat program manager (where the x would be on the home screen). Keeping programs open only when you need them makes them run faster.

Browsers: PIE sucks. Opera Mobile is pretty nice, try the beta trial before dropping money. There's also Opera Mini 4, which is a really slick browser. It runs in java, so you have to open it through the java control. Opera keeps mentioning a Opera Mobile 9, which will have the zoom of Mini 4/mobile safari.

Also, you might want to try to hunt down Piscel. It's only provided OEM, so getting it on your phone is a bit of a grey area, and I won't link it. But it's pretty slick, if tech-demoy.

Dunbar on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So I finally got my Touch. Posting from it right now actually. I'm liking it a lot so far, although it isn't quite as fast as I was hoping it would be. Lots of great features though, and it works very well. I will certainly enjoy this bad boy.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Its a lot faster than I thought it would be.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, keep in mind that I've never owned a WM smartphone. Both of my previous smartphones were palm devices, so I'm used to the virtually instantaneous response of the Palm OS. Unfortunately, Palm OS was getting a bit outdated and I was hungry for something new.

It's not bad at all, and I'm getting used to the limitations. The extra features it brings to the table certainly more than make up for it. I've installed everything I need to get youtube videos working now, and I'm working on getting Opera Mini 4 working how I want it so it can be my default browser. Next I'm probably going to dive off the deep end and see what I can do about customizing the TouchFlo Cube thing to stuff I actually use.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, keep in mind that I've never owned a WM smartphone. Both of my previous smartphones were palm devices, so I'm used to the virtually instantaneous response of the Palm OS. Unfortunately, Palm OS was getting a bit outdated and I was hungry for something new.

It's not bad at all, and I'm getting used to the limitations. The extra features it brings to the table certainly more than make up for it. I've installed everything I need to get youtube videos working now, and I'm working on getting Opera Mini 4 working how I want it so it can be my default browser. Next I'm probably going to dive off the deep end and see what I can do about customizing the TouchFlo Cube thing to stuff I actually use.

the only way of customizing the touchflo is by using a registry editor. IT's not that hard. I've changed 2 things so far. in the tasks pane of the cube, I set the e-mail to open my gmail account, instead of the outlook that I don't use. I also changed the music button to an actual music player, instead of a shitty music store/player that was on my phone with Bell.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    DunbarDunbar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »

the only way of customizing the touchflo is by using a registry editor. IT's not that hard. I've changed 2 things so far. in the tasks pane of the cube, I set the e-mail to open my gmail account, instead of the outlook that I don't use. I also changed the music button to an actual music player, instead of a shitty music store/player that was on my phone with Bell.

Even easier to do now, the wizards at xda-dev have put together an app to customize the cube and home plugin: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=348418

Also, the Vogue (HTC's name for the CDMA Touch) forums at xda are a goldmine of handy apps and useful information. It'll also be where you first see news when they get custom ROMs going.

Dunbar on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I just downloaded this iCube skin for the cube, and it's pretty awesome. Very iPhone-esque, and it works very well.

Also, it's ridiculous how much better Opera Mini 4 is than PIE.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was driving home from work today when I heard the voicemail notification on my touch (the phone never rang). I take it out of my pocket and listen to the voicemail. I go to end the call and attempt to call the person back and the phone just keeps showing the spinning busy cursor thing in the middle of the screen over and over again. I can't even get to the contacts screen. Awesome. Had to reboot the god damn phone to make a call. Weak...

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I was driving home from work today when I heard the voicemail notification on my touch (the phone never rang). I take it out of my pocket and listen to the voicemail. I go to end the call and attempt to call the person back and the phone just keeps showing the spinning busy cursor thing in the middle of the screen over and over again. I can't even get to the contacts screen. Awesome. Had to reboot the god damn phone to make a call. Weak...

Welcome to Windows Mobile 6.

My touch has done something similar a couple times. it's favorite is to drop a call, then the screen keeps counting like the call is still on, and I can't end it, cant even turn the thing off, had to pull the battery to get it to work. thank god it's only done that once.

My work phone also runs WM6, and it's done something weird once too.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Heh, using your mobile whilst driving and causing an accident = 2.5 years in jail in the UK now.

Finally, I might no longer be nearly runover by stupid 40-something women who think a big SUV means rules no longer apply to them. The whores.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Heh, using your mobile whilst driving and causing an accident = 2.5 years in jail in the UK now.

Finally, I might no longer be nearly runover by stupid 40-something women who think a big SUV means rules no longer apply to them. The whores.

Its illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving here if you don't use a hands free device. Its also going to be illegal to send sms while driving. I think that takes effect next year.

Epyon9283 on