As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're not doing this in [Movies]

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Social Entropy++
Peter K. Rosenthal, the preeminent critic of our times, looks at movies both old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzYqdJ2MgsY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WllmUTgi5Tg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh2aXP7Lm0s

and new!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YcBYCfHUgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V5q0qZ1FdY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix99WIbrhuw

The second-ever film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize for Criticism, we'll be talking about Peter K. Rosenthal and his legacy for decades to come, when Film Standard goes down in history

also i guess other movie stuff

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I am really interested in this batch of inventive horror movies that are coming out

The Babadook was great, It Follows is coming out and I'm really stoked for that, and I've also seen a trailer for one called Spring, which was described as a Lovecraftian romance

https://youtu.be/ftOMkr9eYS8

The same guys also did one called Resolution, which The AV Club really liked

https://youtu.be/O9Em0uf1Ktg

Basically I'm gonna just watch a buncha horror movies this weekend and be really on edge the whole time

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    is this an episode of i love films?

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I really really really want to see It Follows but there is no way it's coming out anywhere near me or on anything available to me.

• FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    argh, I figured I'd just checked page 2 before I posted my thread.

Well, back on the scrapheap

FAQ on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    GG I'm watching It Follows this weekend too!

Let me know how Spring is

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    it follows is on at ..... 11:45pm, ah fuck you cinema

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Film thread, Locke is a very good film that people should watch.

forumsig.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Is it follows on VOD this weekend because if so I am gonna check it out

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I still need to watch Babadook

Balefuego wrote: »
    Is it follows on VOD this weekend because if so I am gonna check it out

@Balefuego it was announced to be out today on VOD but I'm having trouble finding where

I'll let you know if I find anything

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

Ba-ba-ba-dook-DOOK-DOOK

Grey Ghost wrote: »

Ba-ba-ba-dook-DOOK-DOOK

GAHFUCK

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That's why I've put it off... I like to sleep.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm kinda debating on VOD for It Follows. Our local theater sometimes surprises me with some good independent releases. And yeah I haven't seen a horror movie in theaters in ages.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Film thread, Locke is a very good film that people should watch.

I bought Locke and Babadook blu rays yesterday, looking forward to both

PSN- AHermano
    Locke is fantastic.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Babadook is one I really need to see. Think I'll add it to my wishlist right now.

forumsig.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Piggybacking on the 'drunk in cinema' stories from the last thread:

I live within walking distance to a theater, so my roommate and I last year got fucked up and walked over to see 'Need for Speed.' He was high, I was drunk.

He approached the ticket counter:

Him: Can I get a ticket for Need for Furious?

Him: Fuck. I mean Fast for Speed?

Him: Fuck. The car vroom one with Walter White's friend.

I ordered the snacks, which included, "Only your finest popcorn and a vat of diet coke."

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to decide how I felt about Chappie.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to decide how I felt about Chappie.

Yeah it was a weird movie

PSN- AHermano
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think it helped me going into Chappie with some super low expectations.

I enjoyed a lot of it and was just confounded by a lot of it. Basically they surrounded Chappie with a bunch of cartoon characters, making the actual digital character the most believable one in the whole dang thing.

Also Hugh Jackman just needed to be named Bruce to be a full on cartoon Australian.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Ninja was so frigging bad it was distracting, and it felt like you were supposed to care about him?

There were certainly bits I liked though

PSN- AHermano
  • Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    That's why I've put it off... I like to sleep.

Babadook was hands down my favorite movie of the last year, it's worth losing a bit of sleep.

It made me cry moreso than it scared me though, it basically punches you in the stomach emotionally and scares you while you are on the ground.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Ninja was so frigging bad it was distracting, and it felt like you were supposed to care about him?

There were certainly bits I liked though

Ninja to me felt like a step father.

In that like my step father, he was mean, vulgar, cruel, hateful, kind apologetic, sweet, and wanted to at times do right by you.

I think he did a good job of it if that was the goal.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh hey

Those Criterion Blu-rays I grabbed from that sale the other day came in today

Really fast shipping!

Anyways I grabbed Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic and The Darjeeling Limited

I didn't think too highly of The Life Aquatic and Darjeeling when I saw them at release, but that was a long time ago and I've been meaning to revisit them

So a few months ago I watched Kiki's Delivery Service on DVD and really dug it, causing me to rethink my previous anti-Miyazaki stance

And then my Secret Santa got me Howl's Moving Castle, which I'd never seen, and I picked up Princess Mononoke, which I hadn't seen in like...ten years or so, both on Blu-ray

Last night and today I watched both of them and they were both excellent

Anyways long story short, I joined that Disney Movie Club deal today after I've had a couple coworkers tell me how it worked, and just now I ended up grabbing The Little Mermaid, Hercules, Mulan, The Emperor's New Groove, Kiki's Delivery Service and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind on Blu-ray for a total of $25

I suddenly feel like I'll need to visit/revisit all the Ghibli films

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think the only Miyazaki films I haven't seen are Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso. Need to get around to those one of these days.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I have missed quite a few Ghibli films, but Porco Rosso is just fantastic.

It is so good that when Miyazaki was considering finally doing a sequel a couple years ago, I thought the dub was going to be Michael Keaton's way back to recognition.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Ba-ba-ba-dook-DOOK-DOOK

Taken out of context, I can see this being sung by some back-up singers in sequin dresses.

b1ehrMM.gif
    I think the only Miyazaki films I haven't seen are Whisper of the Heart and Porco Rosso. Need to get around to those one of these days.

I watched both of these just recently!
    I liked Porco Rosso a lot but Whisper of the Heart didn't do much for me at all

Oh yeah! I meant to bring this up a week ago when I saw American Sniper

I don't remember seeing what the consensus on the trailer was around here, and after Salvation I was ready to just give up on the franchise (to the point where I didn't watch the trailer when it hit online), but the new Terminator seems like it could be really cool

That trailer was doing a lot for me

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    what is this Disney Movie Club thing I am too tired to google

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    you typed more words there than it would take to google "disney movie club" so

edited March 2015
    YaYa wrote: »
    what is this Disney Movie Club thing I am too tired to google

It's sorta like one of those old Columbia House-type rackets, except you're not really paying insane prices because Disney movies are insane prices no matter where you buy them

When you sign up, you pick four movies for $1 total. At sign-up, you're also allowed to pick a fifth movie for an extra $15, and a sixth movie for $10 on top of that.

After that, your commitment is to buy five normally-priced movies within two years. If you took that fifth bonus movie for $15 though, that knocks off one of them, so for instance I now have two years to buy four Disney movies

And I can guarantee that in the next two years, I will get Aladdin, The Avengers 2, Ant-Man and Cap 3

UnbreakableVow on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Hey movie thread.

Tonight I am going to the "second chance" discount movie theater that Ang Li used to frequent when he was a film student.

I am thinking about watching Interstellar, is this a good idea Y/N

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's pretty good. Little sentimental at times.

Fuck off and die.
    Sentimental like "obvious attempt to tug at heartstrings to make you cry"?

Cuz I am a sucker for that shit, I cry every time.

I'd say so, yeah. I'd also say it has the best space action I've ever seen. And at least it tells a fucking story.

Also, second best robots.

Fuck off and die.
    Thank you, Peter Ebel

I am going to push hard for Interstellar based on this information.

I think my girl mentioned wanted to see it so it may not be a hard sell.

Are there any giant monsters that I need to be aware of, because I will get punched in the arm if there are giant monsters.

This is not a deal breaker, I just want to know what I am in for.

edited March 2015
    I want to make a knowing vague nudge nudge wink wink reference here, but I'll just be upfront and say there are no monsters. Literally.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
This discussion has been closed.