As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everything [Battlefield] - Rumor: BF5 Set In (Alternate Reality?) World War I

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Melkster wrote: »
    Played some hardline last night

Ugh it was infuriating.

Could not hit anyone. And everyone else was getting ridiculous insta-headshots on me with shitty SMGs half a block away.

Were you playing as ostruppen again, @Melkster?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The problem with how Blood Money works now, is if both teams are smart they'll ignore the cash pile entirely and send their whole team to the enemy vault, letting the enemy bring them loot to steal- for more points. If you do this you can get a huge 40-50 point lead in the first minutes of the game. It's not terrible but it shouldn't encourage camping like that.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I would even take 2 cash dropoffs per team. Just to spread it out. If your team is sucky and the other decent they will have 6-10 guys sitting at your stash and the rest shooting and stealing at the cash pile

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    So it seems the AN-94 is coming to BF4 in a upcoming chunk of DLC.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Do magnum rounds on the sniper rifle mess with the bullet drop?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Blood Money can be infuriating, but that's mostly my fault for not socializing with like-minded players from the get-go. I love how dynamic it is in general. My solution? Turn my coat as soon as one team is obviously better organized, or outright quit if the room is a stinker, and full of headless chickens.

Having a full squad of 5 is absolutely paramount to my enjoyment of Blood Money. The ability to spawn-in on 4 other players is crazy important to instigate successful vault raids, for example. Also, more options to spawn and to dynamically adapt my spawn location - priceless.

However, Battlefield handles squads incredibly poorly. Often it creates lots of squads with only 2-3 players, instead of always filling squads up to capacity. In my estimation, at least half the players out there are incapable or unwilling to open up the team setup screen and consolidate squads themselves.

Outside of private squads, I think the game should consolidate players into full squads constantly, like every 30 seconds or so. Sure, every now and then you'll be fucked, being stuck alone in an empty squad, but that's still better than being stuck on a team with like ten two-man squads, which is totally ineffective - and way too fucking common.

P.S. That just gave me an idea about squad leaders. What if squad leaders can spawn on other squad leaders, actually giving some weight to the damn system? That would pretty much fix the *lone player stuck in an empty squad problem*, and overall make the game so much more convenient, and probably better, assuming squad leaders are chosen for their veteranacy - leading to more strategical options and better tactical spawning for the whole Battlefield populace.

P.P.S. I guess a squadleader spawning on a squadleader would have to put a 30 second cooldown on both squadleader's ability to be spawned upon, in order to cap the exploitation of that mechanic to limits of reason.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    I was trying to get on the angry dome last night or at the very least favorite it, but it didn't pop up when i was searching.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Hotwire is insanely boring when one team doesn't even attempt to use the vehicles.

Had a Blood Money match end by time. It was really stupid. The enemy team didn't even go for the money pile, they just rushed our vault non-stop. That is pretty much been every single Blood Money match so far.

It sucks that the only game type I like playing is Conquest because normally I hate playing Conquest.

I kind of regret buying Hardline at this point.

Edit: I think something really needs to be changed about Blood Money. Just beat a team 150 to 0 because the enemy team ignored the money in the middle and only tried to raid our vault. The game went on for almost the entire duration. I would have been so pissed if I were on the enemy team.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, playing more Blood Money there's pretty much zero reason to not just camp the inbetween route on a map between the neutral vault and your enemies. You can just gank carriers, steal their money and cause a huge swing all without the time investment/risk of actually picking up cash manually.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Bloodmoney is awesome you guys are balls nuts.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    We the united people of pcmasterrace are having a slammin' time playing blood money though some of the maps get a little hairy at 64 players.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's a fun gametype, it's just in need of a little fine tuning. I still think stealing from the enemy vault is way too easy, there should be more risk involved going for enemy vaults. We've absolutely stomped people just by camping their base with the chopper.

• Options
    Blood money is great. But there is nothing wrong with having ideas on how to improve it.

That said, even if the game never got patched in any way id still play it.

Heist is also pretty rad. Had a huge string of close games on that mode saturday

• Options
    Yea, I still play Blood Money because Hotwire has devolved into rocket launchers left and right and one team not driving cars at all and I want something besides Conquest to play. Heist is frustrating because the grab points are often ridiculous to get to and that makes it a really awful experience for me.

There is other stuff that I find frustrating. The P90 and X10 are stupidly good. I keep dying a few moments after going around a corner from gunfire from an enemy who can't hit me anymore. I ducked down behind a wall where I knew I couldn't be hit at all and still got hit by the dude I was avoiding and died. The speed at which players die is really fast as well still. Helicopters are really strong in this game and that is fine and all but there aren't really and decent ways of dealing with them without going out of my way for a stinger.

I'm sure I would have a whole lot more fun playing this with other people but as it is I've only been playing solo so I don't ever get to have any good team work.

• Options
    I usually try to join a squad with the highest score players when i jump into a server. Better chance of decent teamwork even without voice comms.

• Options
    I try that as well though a lot of squads are locked.

Another thing I don't like is how a lot of the equipment isn't properly explained. I have no idea how the cameras on the professional even work. I need 5 camera coins for it and I have no clue how to even get them.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Stragint wrote: »
    I try that as well though a lot of squads are locked.

Another thing I don't like is how a lot of the equipment isn't properly explained. I have no idea how the cameras on the professional even work. I need 5 camera coins for it and I have no clue how to even get them.

Fuck those camera coin things that was the worst thing to try and grind out, at least with the 4 perk thing you could cheese the fuck out of it (provided they didn't patch my method) in only a few minutes.

Anyhow the camera only spots things in a cone that it is pointed at. So basically when you put one down think of a < when you're attempting to figure out how they are going to aim. What I ended up doing was putting three down in a triangle around points facing towards the back/side of the other camera or in high traffic areas or facing spawn locations for points.

iRevert on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is the camera pointing in the direction of the top of the dome? Or is it on the side where there appears to be a dot or something?

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is the camera pointing in the direction of the top of the dome? Or is it on the side where there appears to be a dot or something?

Yeah, I believe it points in the direction you're facing when you place it. There is a raised spot for the lens of the camera that should indicate where its pointing.

It DOES NOT pan so if you put it on walls or ceilings above head height it won't spot people unless the "cone" is wide enough at the point they're coming into its path.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    CAN YOU FEEL THE HYPE

5arUCGY.jpgCA5x2bRXEAICZK7.png

@0Replace4Displace

iRevert on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »

Yeah, I believe it points in the direction you're facing when you place it. There is a raised spot for the lens of the camera that should indicate where its pointing.

It DOES NOT pan so if you put it on walls or ceilings above head height it won't spot people unless the "cone" is wide enough at the point they're coming into its path.

OHHHH. Is it meant to be placed on the ground?! I've been placing it up high on walls like a retail store security camera. No wonder I haven't been getting any spotting coins.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    It's a fun gametype, it's just in need of a little fine tuning. I still think stealing from the enemy vault is way too easy, there should be more risk involved going for enemy vaults. We've absolutely stomped people just by camping their base with the chopper.

I think the enemy vaults should have locks like on the starting vaults in Heist; they have to be blown open before you can steal from them.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    iRevert, I'm confused. Is this something for Hardline or BF4?

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    iRevert, I'm confused. Is this something for Hardline or BF4?

BF4

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hotwire is way less fun when anyone can oneshot a car with an RPG.

They should ban RPGs from Hotwire IMO.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Caught this video today--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfHaloc8VkE

Yeah, I didn't understand how imba certain weapons were... I thought I was just a bad player (I might be), but yeah the gun balance is just fucked right now.

I was playing Hardline last night with a nice little squad. We were defending a point. I have a magnum shotgun -- the base one you get as the ammo class. I'm watching the door. An enemy runs in, I fire at him immediately with one blast of my shotgun and kill him -- but at the same time he kills me AND MY TEAMMATE with a K10 burst. Like he just ran in firing blind and killed TWO people in a defensive position, AND died himself.

I don't think a professional gamer could've hit him faster than I did with my shotgun without a wallhack -- I believe I reacted as quickly as I could.

Complete and total bullshit.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Re: Weapons in the game

I'd love to see a completely different weapon system. Like, when you think of cop/criminal shows and movies, what do you think of? Dunno about you, but I think about movies like The Departed, or Reservoir Dogs, or Die Hard. I think of a cop with a 9mm or 45 pistol. I think of a criminal with a dinky submachine gun or maybe an AK47. I think about a police sharpshooter on a rooftop with a bolt action sniper rifle.

Weapons should be simple, iconic, and there should be less of them. Classes should be distinct in ways other than what we have with healers/ammo dumps/repairmen. In fact I'd probably remove all those classes, and make them distinct in other ways.

Examples:
    • You have your hero cop with a pistol class -- modeled after Bruce Willis' character in Die Hard. He'd be stealthy, quick, low-profile, but deadly in close range.
    • Then you'd have your stupid terrorist with an AK class -- modeled after loud, stupid terrorists found in every movie. You'd be slow, less stealthy, but pretty effective at laying down tons of bullets

Etc.,

Melkster on
  • Options
    The hit boxes in this game are straight up garbage when it comes to hitting them with vehicles.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

I'd love to see a completely different weapon system. Like, when you think of cop/criminal shows and movies, what do you think of? Dunno about you, but I think about movies like The Departed, or Reservoir Dogs, or Die Hard. I think of a cop with a 9mm or 45 pistol. I think of a criminal with a dinky submachine gun or maybe an AK47. I think about a police sharpshooter on a rooftop with a bolt action sniper rifle.

Weapons should be simple, iconic, and there should be less of them. Classes should be distinct in ways other than what we have with healers/ammo dumps/repairmen. In fact I'd probably remove all those classes, and make them distinct in other ways.

Examples:
    • You have your hero cop with a pistol class -- modeled after Bruce Willis' character in Die Hard. He'd be stealthy, quick, low-profile, but deadly in close range.
    • Then you'd have your stupid terrorist with an AK class -- modeled after loud, stupid terrorists found in every movie. You'd be slow, less stealthy, but pretty effective at laying down tons of bullets

Etc.,

I think quite a bit of the games issues stem from the fact that it's awkwardly hedged between being a Battlefield game and being a game about the police. Wish they'd taken the oppotunity to make the spin off something really different.

Personally a neat way to do it could've being to make criminals have a CS:GO style buy method (starting with a lump sum of cash and getting more for objectives/kills/etc.) and have the police escalate from first responders with just pistols all the way up to armoured swat dudes with AR's. At least for heist, obviously that wouldn't work for the other game modes as well.

• Options
    Lc (still a bought and paid for shill) is pretty right up there.

Thing is... if the adjust the k10//416/m16 it fixes alot of any balance problems. All operator weapons are good. All. its just those two so far out pace everything.....

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular

Examples:

Etc.,

I think quite a bit of the games issues stem from the fact that it's awkwardly hedged between being a Battlefield game and being a game about the police. Wish they'd taken the oppotunity to make the spin off something really different.

Personally a neat way to do it could've being to make criminals have a CS:GO style buy method (starting with a lump sum of cash and getting more for objectives/kills/etc.) and have the police escalate from first responders with just pistols all the way up to armoured swat dudes with AR's. At least for heist, obviously that wouldn't work for the other game modes as well.

That would be a neat mode. Asymmetry is always nice. I definitely think they hedged too much on going for theme rather than the Battlefield formula. None of the vehicles should have mounted weapons, parachutes shouldn't be standard equipment, just little touches like that. The movement speed is a tad too fast to really nail the stop-and-move flow of the end sequence in Heat and since this is basically Battlefield: The Robbery Scene from Heat, that's a shame. I like it mainly because it has 90% less cheese than BF4, but there's still a decent amount of needless vehicle cheese, and trip mines are just too fancy for the theme - now a crude pipe bomb hooked up to a tripwire, that I could see on the criminal side.

All that being said, I like that we're branching out from Big War. It makes me hopeful to see a post-apocalyptic scavenger survivalist Battlefield game, or spy vs. spy covert ops, and so forth.

• Options
    Yeah agreed on all points. Love the point about the parachutes -- why the heck would parachutes be standard equipment?

How moddable is this game? Ha, I probably shouldn't even ask. This is EA after all. They hate mods.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    eJ3Ynwv.png

AN-94
    Tactical Lever Action
    OTS-14
    L86a2
    ?

iRevert on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    iRevert wrote: »
    eJ3Ynwv.png

AN-94
    Tactical Lever Action
    OTS-14?
    ?
    ?

makes my pants tight. That and a revolver and its cowboy time.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Yessssss gun master is my jam.

• Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think I may be done with Hardline for now. It's almost too frustrating for me to play, the net code + TTK and stupidly balanced weapons has kinda ruined it for me. At close and mid range there is no time to react to anything, either you gun someone down before they can react, kill trade or die before you can react. It can be very annoying sometimes. I don't remember ever getting mad at BF4 as much as I have at Hardline in the short time I've played it. Coupled with the old, you go prone or duck/run behind cover, wait 1.5 seconds die net code... Hardline can just suck to play.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    New teaser went up today, the fourth gun is going to be a L86A2

AN-94
    Tactical Lever Action
    OTS-14
    L86A2
    ?

iRevert on
  • Options
    So I held the high ground morally as long as I could not using the clearly broken guns. Using the inferior guns; working hard for every kill. Almost never getting doubles.

Screw that. Everyone else is using the power 4 (k10/416/m16/.300 knockout)- I may as well too. At least I know how I will play when the nerfs hit as I know the other guns in and out.

the k10 is death incarnate. The 416/m16 is not far behind....

you can rattle off 5 an 10 runs with ease. The difference is you just dont even have to work.... i went from a 1/2 k/d ratio to a 2/1 just by switching to the to those.

The stats bear it out. I reached the same kill levels in about half the time with those three. Madness that will surely be patched.....

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Being squad leader and setting objectives makes a surprising difference to how your squadmates play. It seems like just the flashing indicator is enough to get them to do what you want them to.

I play regularly with one friend. It'd be nice to have a full 5-man squad. Full 32-person teams coordinating is a dream that I can't imagine ever happening in reality.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Just played an amazing session this afternoon. Like 2 hours of TDM64 and 2 hours of Bloodmoney. Working on my Professional Syndicate Assignment - hoping to play around with the Knockout .300 before its 50m one-hit-bodykill gets nerfed. My teams pretty much won every round, and I got MVP honors (with the 100% Elemination Boost) like 90+% of the times - drag scoping as if aggressive recon was my preferred playstyle (it's not).

I can't take all the credit though. I think the new Playstation Spotify app, which creates a proper soundmix of my music of choice with in-game soundeffects, is largely responsible for how great a flow I had this afternoon. Suddenly, everything is like Battlefield Vietnam. Fine feel-good music all the flippin' time, and I don't miss a beat, because I can still hear all pertinent soundeffects. Dude creepin' on me? Despite listening to loud music, I can hear his footsteps clear as day, and swirl around like a tornado to pepper his skull with my MAC-10 spray of love, so all that's left of my aggressor is but pink mist and pure humiliation.

Since the last firmware update, my PS4 has become so much better. Incredible how much of a positive difference little touches like the suspend feature and properly integrated Spotify on a OS-level can make. I loved that darn box when it had a strictly utilitarian firmware and barely any unique games. Between all of this and Bloodborne - it's simply the best! My PC quivers in his boots. I'm already pondering if my next PC upgrade will be a powerful tablet, rather than a dedicated gaming tower. I'd be rid of tons of worries, hacks and hackusations, and whatnot - for good.

BranniganSepp on