As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everything [Battlefield] - Rumor: BF5 Set In (Alternate Reality?) World War I

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    I still like how no one can spell your name.

253J736.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    My thermal scout elite makes the salt flow.

pTPXdIK.jpg?1

That's an awesome reason to be kicked from a server: "Not average player"

I'll have to remember that one.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

pTPXdIK.jpg?1

Banned actually.

So to sum it up: banned for doing good with a thermal sniper on pearl market, misspelled my name, and banned for a reason that falls below the servers rules (lifetime KDR of 2.5)

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Man, I know the average K/D is probably like 0.7 or something but 2.5 seems really low for that kinda server rule.

I mean, I'm terrible and hardly play the game and I could comfortably sit on 2.0 most days.

• Options
    Well now I feel like crap. I know I'm not good (and barely breaking into the "average" player camp) but I'm rocking a 1.14. I mean, I know that in the large scheme of things, k/d means absolute dick (unless you're playing TDM (and maybe Domination)), but I just feel that, on average, giving as many tickets as I am taking is kind of my baseline.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

pTPXdIK.jpg?1

Banned actually.

So to sum it up: banned for doing good with a thermal sniper on pearl market, misspelled my name, and banned for a reason that falls below the servers rules (lifetime KDR of 2.5)

also, as reference, there were other people (myself included) who had as good or better k/d in those same rounds and were allowed to keep playing. Tibbly just kept getting the jump on certain people and they got a little butt-hurt for it.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well now I feel like crap. I know I'm not good (and barely breaking into the "average" player camp) but I'm rocking a 1.14. I mean, I know that in the large scheme of things, k/d means absolute dick (unless you're playing TDM (and maybe Domination)), but I just feel that, on average, giving as many tickets as I am taking is kind of my baseline.

It's worth remembering that breaking even is still doing well. Like, decently above where most players are.

Alot of people when they get all smug about 'what, you couldn't break X K/D, you must suck' seem to forget that the average player in a popular game is a pretty low ass bar to begin with.

Also yeah, people who actually try to argue that K/D equals team contribution are missing out on the bigger picture of the game mode.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Picked this back up after not playing since last November. Only FPS I've played between then and now is Destiny.

oh my God have I missed everything about this game

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I am somehow sitting at a 1.37 in BF4. That surprises me. I expected it to be like a 0.5. I am not at all as good in BF4 as I was in previous games, although I do seem to perform much better on lower pop servers. 64-player servers I just can't deal with.

Also, we going to be Angry Doming Battlefront on the PC? I know there's a Battlefront thread but it seems like there might be a decent crossover from here to there. I'd like that.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    K/D in BF4: 0.61
    K/D in BF3: 0.38

That's a marked improvement there!

• Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    I am somehow sitting at a 1.37 in BF4. That surprises me. I expected it to be like a 0.5. I am not at all as good in BF4 as I was in previous games, although I do seem to perform much better on lower pop servers. 64-player servers I just can't deal with.

Also, we going to be Angry Doming Battlefront on the PC? I know there's a Battlefront thread but it seems like there might be a decent crossover from here to there. I'd like that.

This is actually kind of funny, but I found the exact same thing applies to me - the matches where I actually do pretty well (in terms of getting kills) are the ones where there are 20-30 people on the server. I want to say it's likely because there are fewer people jamming on their spot keys and I can more successfully be a sneaky bastard and attack people from unexpected angles. In contrast with a full 64-player server, most of those angles I try to get are already occupied by 2-3 other people (and chances are that I have a brightly glowing red dorito floating over my head).

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

This is actually kind of funny, but I found the exact same thing applies to me - the matches where I actually do pretty well (in terms of getting kills) are the ones where there are 20-30 people on the server. I want to say it's likely because there are fewer people jamming on their spot keys and I can more successfully be a sneaky bastard and attack people from unexpected angles. In contrast with a full 64-player server, most of those angles I try to get are already occupied by 2-3 other people (and chances are that I have a brightly glowing red dorito floating over my head).

It is my experience that no one else even understands what spotting is in these games.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I remember reading some stats for BF3 that show the average K/D is actually about 1.1 because players can be revived and a death doesn't count until you're at the spawn screen. You can theoretically kill multiple people and there not be a single death registered.

Wouldn't surprise me if the same held true for BF4.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    I remember reading some stats for BF3 that show the average K/D is actually about 1.1 because players can be revived and a death doesn't count until you're at the spawn screen. You can theoretically kill multiple people and there not be a single death registered.

Wouldn't surprise me if the same held true for BF4.

the only trick to that is that you cannot infinitely revive in bf4 like you could in bf3. There are also a lot less medics who will revive you unless you're playing with friends and such.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Assists counting as kills will also inflate the K/D numbers.

• Options

Battlefront can slob on a turd covered chode, like I said unless JarJar is a playable champion I have zero interest in it.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

That's probably the Kill Assist Kill Counter that's new to BF4. If you deal 75+% damage to an enemy, and he gets killed by one of your allies within a couple of seconds of your dealing that damage, you'll get a kill counter too. I love it.

Any chance I get, I yell into the void: "A Kill Count for all forms of assist, and track Killing Blows too!". That kind of design would make so much sense for me, for a team-oriented game like Battlefield.

In many situations, a spot is as good as a kill, and more often than you think, the killing blow was just the one lucky guy who took the enemy for his last 1% of health.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    edited July 2015

It is my experience that no one else even understands what spotting is in these games.

This completely boggles my mind whenever I see it in matches (people not spotting). For me, whenever I have somebody in my crosshairs, I press Q at the same time as LMB, so I spot right when I start shooting. On PS4, it's even easier since there's about 3mm space between the spotting bumper and the shooting trigger.

And yeah, more than once I've had to type in team chat "FFS, press the spot key!"

Erlkönig on
  • Options

That's probably the Kill Assist Kill Counter that's new to BF4. If you deal 75+% damage to an enemy, and he gets killed by one of your allies within a couple of seconds of your dealing that damage, you'll get a kill counter too. I love it.

Any chance I get, I yell into the void: "A Kill Count for all forms of assist, and track Killing Blows too!". That kind of design would make so much sense for me, for a team-oriented game like Battlefield.

In many situations, a spot is as good as a kill, and more often than you think, the killing blow was just the one lucky guy who took the enemy for his last 1% of health.

want to do something that will help your team tremendously and get you to near the top of the leaderboard on open maps with vehicles? Hop into the 2nd seat of an LAV or tank with gunner soflam or run a PLD as a recon. Advise your teammates (if you don't have friends in your server) that you'll be laser-locking enemy vehicles. After that, watch the points start rolling in and be a vital part of pushing the other team's shit in as they won't be able to move any vehicles forward until they hunt you down. It's also really fun to watch 8+ missiles track to one target and leave nothing but a smoking crater (and this works against aircraft too).

253J736.png
  • Options
    WolveSight wrote: »

want to do something that will help your team tremendously and get you to near the top of the leaderboard on open maps with vehicles? Hop into the 2nd seat of an LAV or tank with gunner soflam or run a PLD as a recon. Advise your teammates (if you don't have friends in your server) that you'll be laser-locking enemy vehicles. After that, watch the points start rolling in and be a vital part of pushing the other team's shit in as they won't be able to move any vehicles forward until they hunt you down. It's also really fun to watch 8+ missiles track to one target and leave nothing but a smoking crater (and this works against aircraft too).

I'm picturing this being the end result of that kind of coordination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8D-4D-hbv8

• Options
    The greatest drive by in a long time done by @Dizzen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHKaCI3kasQ

Also that scout that was trying to up/over and shotgun heats had no idea where we went.

• Options
    Randoms are happy with mare's leg kills...Well I mean anyone is happy when the mare's leg finally fucking kills something

https://youtu.be/72w4Ng37zyo

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Microsoft and the guys at Realtime Worlds look to be the first to unleash the future of online multiplayer gaming onto the gaming populus - namely cloud-empowered gameworlds of yet unseen density and quality of interactivity. Their realtime dynamic destruction tech looks bloody amazing. I really hope EA and DICE see this stuff, and start R&D ASAP to get something similarly incredible up and running for an upcoming Battlefield iteration...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWANLy9TjRc

I mean, holy smokes, that's awesome! Though I kinda doubt that kind of serverside computing power can be delivered to end consumers without subscription fees, to be honest. Running all those servers must be expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft will have to scale it down significantly for the end product to be economical without asking for more money from the players. That said, if the right game came along, with this level of destruction, I'd be down with subscription fees, though I'm probably just a vocal minority.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Got a message asking me to take a survey to get intn the bf4 cte.

If any other xb1 players want in on it and arent in the preview program, just let me know and i can invite you.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I hate the Zavod map with a passion and night operations takes place in freaking ZAVOD! GAH DANGIT! That map is so damn boring, bad, and frustrating to play!

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Nah, Zavod is cool. Counter-snipe fools on the roof, proceed to disable AA with C4, hop in chopper, DOMINATE.

• Options
    Playing Zavod at night is nuts. A more deliberate pace is required. It's stressful as hell.

Sadly, i think more than a few people play with their brightness all the way up to be megachodes

• Options
    edited August 2015
    First session of BF4 in months. Ran my favorite type of loadout most of the night. DMR wielding engineer playing the official All Maps Conquest Large rotation. Simply feels the most versatile and badass. So much killing power in the DMRs, which pays off big time, if one plays the better angle than ones foes. BäM... BäM. BäM. BäM. Nice.

Damn is the game smooth now. Even in comparison to Hardline, it runs smoother and looks better while doing it, and it's inherently bigger and more explosive. So really, for the 20 odd bucks they currently ask for the Premium Edition of the game, and with all the upcoming free content, there's absolutely no excuse anymore not to play some BF4, if Battlefield, or online multiplayer FPS games in general are in ones wheelhouse.

Seriously, if anyone still hasn't played BF4, and is into the aforementioned things, you are literally insane in my eyes. Like a 64-player round of Conquest Large in BF4 is roughly 10x the more massively multiplayer game than Destiny, all the while looking better, running better, playing better, being much more interactive and explosive and dynamic than it. Oddly enough, pretty much everybody I've played Destiny with did not even try the game. Coo-coo in the cuckoo's nest.

To drive home my point, a random explosives montage from youtube... it's simply more of everything awesome than anything else out there has to offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2vOu8QkPd0

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    I've started playing BF4 again, too. It makes me wish I grabbed the premium pack when it was on sale last Christmas. I've also found myself enjoying Hardcore servers. The added tension is quite fun. If anyone wants to play feel free to hit me up on Steam.

• Options
    Cte says there is a community map in addition to the zavod night map but haven't seen it yet.

Saw a vid of the Shanghai night map and it looks great. Can't wait til these maps drop officially. Cte is buggy as hell on the zavod map

• Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Cte says there is a community map in addition to the zavod night map but haven't seen it yet.

Saw a vid of the Shanghai night map and it looks great. Can't wait til these maps drop officially. Cte is buggy as hell on the zavod map

Is that the Logging Camp map or the Dragon Valley map?

• Options
    Not sure! Haha, haven't seen anything but Zavod night or vanilla bf4 map rotations. Was hoping to try out Dragon Valley

• Options
    Look at this hacker I saw on BF4 today

nSAWwz5.jpg?1

• Options
    Look at this hacker I saw on BF4 today

nSAWwz5.jpg?1

yeah, I wish I knew how that happened. It would make C4ing enemy vehicles a lot easier!

253J736.png
  • Options
    It looks like there's an Origin sale going on. BF4 Premium is down to $26. I'm a bit late to the party, but screw it. It's been a bad day and I've been enjoying BF4 lately. Retail therapy!

• Options
    Night map and Summer patch due to release next Tuesday.

• Options
    Patch is live @ 850 mb

• Options
    Now all I need is the BF Hardline: Robbery DLC. I've been hoarding my cash to instantly by my two favorite (non-LMG) guns from BF4: the F2000 and the FAMAS. Also, I'm probably going to need a little more cash to also pick up the CZ-3A1...I mean Skorpion.

• Options
    so, patch is up and servers are live. However, make sure you not only install the patch, but if you want to play on servers with the new map(s) you have to go here: https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/battlefield-4/pc-download/addon/battlefield-4-night-operations

253J736.png