As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everything [Battlefield] - Rumor: BF5 Set In (Alternate Reality?) World War I

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Just finished the first campaign. I'm really enjoying the storytelling in this one so far. It's also made me read up on WWI, since it was kinda glossed over in secondary school history lessons.

Multiplayer is ok so far. I've only really played as medic - if only because no-one else fucking revives.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Just finished the first campaign. I'm really enjoying the storytelling in this one so far. It's also made me read up on WWI, since it was kinda glossed over in secondary school history lessons.

Multiplayer is ok so far. I've only really played as medic - if only because no-one else fucking revives.

medics are the unsung heroes of all battlefield games

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I love playing medic but normally role support because I run out of ammo. It's not that nobody is a medic it's that nobody revives. Like ever even when they stand over your body.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's not safe but I always try to revive where possible (I'm on BF4)

Just that and throwing out big medic bags

HEAL UP BROS

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I enjoy running into the middle of gun fire to revive

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    canuckont wrote: »
    I enjoy running into the middle of gun fire to revive

Reviving people in gas clouds...now that's the mark of the true dickcombat medic.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    DICE might want to take another look at the Operations map that has the mountain tunnel and bunkers. The attackers forced us back to one of the capture points that allowed us to contest the point from inside a bunker. We reached a critical mass of defenders that no amount of grenade spam could dislodge us while we slowly bled the attackers for three rounds.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    DICE might want to take another look at the Operations map that has the mountain tunnel and bunkers. The attackers forced us back to one of the capture points that allowed us to contest the point from inside a bunker. We reached a critical mass of defenders that no amount of grenade spam could dislodge us while we slowly bled the attackers for three rounds.

This sounds like some effective trench warfare to me.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    This game is a blast so far but holy hell I am just a complete trash fire in multiplayer.

Is there a way to work on loadouts outside of a match? Feels super shitty to mess around with loadouts while my boys get cut to ribbons out there.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    This game is a blast so far but holy hell I am just a complete trash fire in multiplayer.

Is there a way to work on loadouts outside of a match? Feels super shitty to mess around with loadouts while my boys get cut to ribbons out there.

Should be able to in the companion app or the server browser before the game launches. At least that's how BF4 works.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »

Should be able to in the companion app or the server browser before the game launches. At least that's how BF4 works.

Pretty sure it's only on the app or in match. I scoured the UI for a way to purchase new weapons and gadgets and fiddle with loadouts outside of the match for much the same reason. You can view the weapons and gadgets in the soldier menu but can't adjust loadouts or purchase things other than in an actual match.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    downer wrote: »
    Well, I finally had an evening to sit down and play after being out of town since release, and I guess I'm another victim of this bug.

The beta worked just fine.. Just one Battlefield release without a major issue for me would be stellar.

I literally went and updated my 770 to a 1060 to stop this bug. Don't get it anymore! It's totally bullshit though!

I'm not sure if it's the same bug, but I had a similar crash. Unplugging my second monitor let me play for about 5 hours straight. On average I was crashing once every two hour or so.

Ah ha, I too have two monitors. I bet that's related.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Dang, that's pretty lame.

Looking forward to diving back into the campaign today. Got up to what I think is the last bit of the tank mission. Best part so far: I was dodging tank fire whilst trying to take a bunker, and ducked behind some crates for cover. Tank got a direct, obliterating me and my useless cover crates.

Turns out the crates were filled with stuffed teddy bears. I bled to death as a shower of stuffed toys descended upon me. 10/10.

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    Well, I finally had an evening to sit down and play after being out of town since release, and I guess I'm another victim of this bug.

The beta worked just fine.. Just one Battlefield release without a major issue for me would be stellar.

I literally went and updated my 770 to a 1060 to stop this bug. Don't get it anymore! It's totally bullshit though!

I'm not sure if it's the same bug, but I had a similar crash. Unplugging my second monitor let me play for about 5 hours straight. On average I was crashing once every two hour or so.

I do as well. I'll have to test that out.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

Pretty sure it's only on the app or in match. I scoured the UI for a way to purchase new weapons and gadgets and fiddle with loadouts outside of the match for much the same reason. You can view the weapons and gadgets in the soldier menu but can't adjust loadouts or purchase things other than in an actual match.

The web and smartphone companion apps are burning zeppelin tornadoes. Items in game menus such as the ammo box do not exist on either external interface. Both show my support level as rank 5, but in game it is only 2.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Konphujun wrote: »

The web and smartphone companion apps are burning zeppelin tornadoes. Items in game menus such as the ammo box do not exist on either external interface. Both show my support level as rank 5, but in game it is only 2.

I totally agree. Several items aren't there, the purchasing mechanism is borked, the class levels aren't accurate. I'm 90% sure they didn't include it in the main game to get people to go get their companion stuff, but man, it's not fun to use. AND it resets all your loadouts back to basic kit when you change something in the companion app. Yea.. I have it, I use it, I'm not yet a fan of it. Could be good but I'd like it more to browse medals and assignment type things to go do, not actually set my guy up. Look at weapons and compare? sure! Yea. It's not yet there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »

LOVE THIS! I'm laughing so hard at work.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    Ooh! a 700 MB update downloading. Hopefully they fix some of this stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    There are two things that got ported from Battlefront and really irk me:

1. When you join on someone and their squad us full, you are unable to join/create another squad, so you're stuck without a squad until the person you joined either makes a new squad or someone in his squad leaves.

2. Airplanes have different health of course, but what this means that the beefier planes can ram other planes, destroying them, getting a kill and surviving it. People are learning this and it's starting to get out of hand.

• Options
    Jesus wept I am bad at this game. Though, I'll admit, there's some real verisimilitude on show. I spend most of the match in a haze of confused fear, generally hiding under houses, trains, or anything else worth hiding under. Much like I assume I would behave in a real war zone.

I've been just jumping into maps on the server browser - if I just do quick play, will I have a higher chance of being matched up with my fellow scrublets? Getting sniped 2 seconds after spawn by a level five billion xXxn00bkiller420xXx is pretty rough times.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Anyone tried out any of the vehicle variants yet? I really like the Auto Cannon Light Tank. Looking forward to unlocking the AV7 with Auto Cannons. The Mark V Tank Hunter Variant has different side canons acording to the little blurb and I was wondering how they are.
    Satsumomo wrote: »

1. When you join on someone and their squad us full, you are unable to join/create another squad, so you're stuck without a squad until the person you joined either makes a new squad or someone in his squad leaves.

2. Airplanes have different health of course, but what this means that the beefier planes can ram other planes, destroying them, getting a kill and surviving it. People are learning this and it's starting to get out of hand.

The airplanes in this game need a major rebalance. I've seen Attack Planes shoot down Dogfighters far to many times.

• Options
    Jesus wept I am bad at this game. Though, I'll admit, there's some real verisimilitude on show. I spend most of the match in a haze of confused fear, generally hiding under houses, trains, or anything else worth hiding under. Much like I assume I would behave in a real war zone.

I've been just jumping into maps on the server browser - if I just do quick play, will I have a higher chance of being matched up with my fellow scrublets? Getting sniped 2 seconds after spawn by a level five billion xXxn00bkiller420xXx is pretty rough times.

The matchmaker from Quickplay seems to be pretty damn good. I exclusively use Quickplay and it definitely feels like it's matching me with similarly skilled people. I had enough of one-sided matches between rank 10-20s (with a fair sprinkling of 50s) and a full stack of colonel 105-140s during BF4.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Jesus Operations are fun.

Support really shines here. I run support and hammer objectives with the mortar while we attack and then in the final legs you can lay down tons of suppressive fire from the high ground. It feels so good

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular

I do as well. I'll have to test that out.

This was looking promising. I was able to play for an hour without interruption, but then had the same error pop up.

• Options
    Anyone tried out any of the vehicle variants yet? I really like the Auto Cannon Light Tank. Looking forward to unlocking the AV7 with Auto Cannons. The Mark V Tank Hunter Variant has different side canons acording to the little blurb and I was wondering how they are.

The airplanes in this game need a major rebalance. I've seen Attack Planes shoot down Dogfighters far to many times.

Flamethrower tank best tank!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyD wrote: »

Flamethrower tank best tank!

During the beta, Howitzer Tank da best tank!

Since launch, though, I can't say...I haven't even touched a vehicle since that takes away my Mondragon and bandaids.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

The matchmaker from Quickplay seems to be pretty damn good. I exclusively use Quickplay and it definitely feels like it's matching me with similarly skilled people. I had enough of one-sided matches between rank 10-20s (with a fair sprinkling of 50s) and a full stack of colonel 105-140s during BF4.

Yeah I just tried an operation, and it looks like it did a real good job with the matchmaking. Lots of fun! Took a while though. Will have to check quickplay out.

• Options

Oooh. Any patch notes?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Anybody else getting stiffed on battlepack drops? I never seem to get any, regardless of my performance.

• Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    Finished the campaign last night. It was actually good, and that's not even comparing it only to the abysmal campaigns of other battlefield games.

Two tips:
    1. If you set your weapon zoom option to "click" instead of "hold", the binoculars will not work. I remember this bug being in bf4 campaign. Can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet...
    2. If you hop on a turret or field gun and it doesn't seem to move, try hitting the "f1" key a couple of times. That fixed it for me. People are saying that it is related to the "shift+f1" of the origin overlay messing things up. You can also disable origin overlay to avoid the bug.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I'm sure everybody does this, but what's the general opinion on which platform to buy this on? My choices are PC and PS4. I've heard bad things about Origin, has anyone heard or seen any reason not to get this through that?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm sure everybody does this, but what's the general opinion on which platform to buy this on? My choices are PC and PS4. I've heard bad things about Origin, has anyone heard or seen any reason not to get this through that?
    Origin's fine. I can't really speak to the PS4 because I don't own it, but I enjoy it quite a bit on PC.

• Options
    Origin used to be awful, now it's perfectly fine. It's annoying that you have to run it at all but meh, whatever. It doesn't actively try to murder your PC like early days origin/steam did.

• Options
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    After a long day of playing on Saturday, I'm actually becoming somewhat competent at this game. May have been the infusion of noobies but hot damn, I'm getting 20-30 kills a match playing as a combo of support and medic. Decent amount of time spent in vehicles mind you, but I try to vary my style as the match dictates.

• Options
    Grinding the medals has helped me as well, they force you to use certain items/vehicles/weapons and you end up just getting much better at them in the end.

I'm a beast with the MP18 right now, then again I wouldn't be surprised if it got a nerf soon.

• Options

Oooh. Any patch notes?

Looks like crash and performance things. Not much of the gameplay or UI stuff.

General
    Fix for one common and one uncommon client crash.
    Fixed a potential soft freeze in single player campaign connected to AI.
    Fixed an issue where players experienced getting stuck in the globe screen when cancelling matchmaking.
    Fixed an issue when trying to join multiple servers.
    Fixed an issue where players experienced weapon skins not being removed when scrapping items.
    Fixed an issue where players were missing “The Insider” Dog Tag.
    Tweaked calculations of values in End of Round.
    Fixed issue where Class Rank was incorrect.
    Note: This fix may result in players going down in Class Rank to the correct rank. In this scenario, any unlocks purchased at a higher and incorrect rank will not be lost.
    PC: Fixed an occasional crash when a user shutdown the game.
    PC: Fixed an issue where players experienced troubles with A and X button functionality on PC while using an Xbox One controller.
    PC: Fixed an issue where players experienced crashing while closing the client during streaming installation.
    Xbox One: Fix for the "Trench Raider" Dog Tag not unlocking on Xbox One.
    Trench%20Dog%20Tag.jpg
    UI
    Fixed two issues in the “Through Mud and Blood” War Story where no new objectives would appear.
    Fixed an issue where players experienced wrong info in loading screen.
    Fixed an issue where players were missing the Dog Tag counter.
    Fixed an issue where English text would appear for players in non-English regions.
    Fixed an issue where players experienced a placeholder image when opening the Operations menu for the first time.
    PC: Fixed an issue where players were missing an option to display controller button prompts.
    Fixed an issue where players experienced End of Round screen not loading.
    Graphics
    Fixed a crash related to soldier animation.
    Fixed a graphical glitch when exiting a War Story and going to the main menu.
    Fixed an issue where players experienced player icon overlapping while matchmaking on console.
    PC: Temporal anti-aliasing is now the default anti-aliasing mode on medium graphics quality.
    PC: Fix for a graphical issue causing artifacts in shadows.

The Teams at EA/DICE

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    How do you customize vehicles?

Been driving a lot of heavy tank. That thing is proper beastly.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So, I was playing around with the Pederson Device 1903 (the experimental 1903 for scout), and did some background research on it because its funky cool. It was a conversion kit for the springfield rifle to basically turn it from a bolt rifle into a semi-auto smg on the fly, once you got into a trench. Just pop out the bolt, and slap the device and magazine on.
    Turns out that if you take K-rounds on the scout, they actually made an animation of this exact procedure, which is friggin awesome.

I still havnt figured out if you can do it for regular 30cal rifle rounds to swap back and forth like the real deal though...
    That would be killer.

For the time being, I guess you can sort of snipe with 5 k-rounds and then go in to plink with the pederson.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular