As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Now you're Playing with Power

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I think Clipper and Orca are tied.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Tube wrote: »
    What's the fastest ship in the game right now?
    edit: my wrong answer follows:
    I think the Cobra. It might be the Viper, but I took my Cobra for a spin before I sold it....and my gut tells me it's the Cobra.

MadPen on
    3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The ship you are describing is abhorent.

The only people who would touch it are those who can't afford a cobra or vulture, which is a really awkward subset of players because the cobra is cheaper and you'll probably able to afford a vulture via community goal payout before you reach the necessay Empire rank to buy the thing.

I'm honestly surprised valuable development time would be expended towards developing such a ship.

@Tube
    For realspace speed, the cobra can reach the fastest speeds.

For ftl jumps, the anaconda has the greatest jump range.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Phone stop double posting

Pls

Stahp

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

The only people who would touch it are those who can't afford a cobra or vulture, which is a really awkward subset of players because the cobra is cheaper and you'll probably able to afford a vulture via community goal payout before you reach the necessay Empire rank to buy the thing.

I'm honestly surprised valuable development time would be expended towards developing such a ship.

Yeah, the Empire rank thing would make the low price point in my theory fairly pointless. I would've touched it, though. I'll probably get a bounty for saying this, but I could never bring myself to love the Cobra (I make no practical complaints, mind you), and the fuel tank/FSD on the Viper was just excruciating.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    @Tube

This is what I thought, but MuddBudd would appear to be correct:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107823

MadPen on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I suspected it might be the Clipper. Such a nice ship to fly. Unfortunately, there aren't many situations where ships have a reference point to feel fast.

• Options

Which is why I think we're missing some information about it. They must have had a goal in mind, we just don't know what it is yet.

• Options
    MadPen wrote: »
    @Tube

A thread where people report faster speeds for the cobra than the Clipper???

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I always assumed it would be a smaller ship, like the Eagle.

• Options
    Well the cobra is pretty small compared to most ships.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MadPen wrote: »
    @Tube

A thread where people report faster speeds for the cobra than the Clipper???

My bad. I stopped reading shortly after seeing 440 :) I never got anything like that in my Cobra, but of course--I never optimized for it.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    What if there courier can plot two jumps in sequence and you only spend a fraction of the time in real space.

Halved cool down, if you will.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    What if there courier can plot two jumps in sequence and you only spend a fraction of the time in real space.

Halved cool down, if you will.

This is just my favorite theory hands-down. No FSD safety cooldown ever because one of them is already cooled down. For long distance travelling it's not THAT much faster because you still have to fuel scoop, and you can still be interdicted and mass-locked, but....that would be pretty damn cool.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    My theory is that the courier is going to be much like the dropship. It's in the game but the gameplay that it's really designed for isn't in yet. I get the feeling that once NPC passengers and the missions to support them are fully in place these ships will offer some cool opportunities. Until then they are just kind of waiting on the sidelines with no clear use. But one day perhaps we will be running Federal special operations units on covert insertions and flying Imperial dignitaries on time sensitive diplomatic missions.

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    the viper is fastest and best sounding

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

normal speed: 320, boost 380
    clipper's normal speed is 300, boost 380

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    A Clipper and Cobra both have oversized engines for their tonnage, which allows them to go faster than advertised. There is a bonus to speed based on the percentage under optimal your tonnage is.

• Options
    Since I am on vacation and away from my PC for a bit I decided to head back to populated space to park in a nice safe station.

Especially with a patch coming, you never know.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    "Fastest" is difficult to quantify because there's standard speed, boosting speed, and the fact that you can throw pips to engines. The Cobra, though, has oversized engines and a big powerplant. It can essentially 'cruise' at boost speed, and easily exceeds the advertised 400 boost speed. With 4 pips you can sustain 420+ in a Cobra.

• Options
    Drake wrote: »
    My theory is that the courier is going to be much like the dropship. It's in the game but the gameplay that it's really designed for isn't in yet. I get the feeling that once NPC passengers and the missions to support them are fully in place these ships will offer some cool opportunities. Until then they are just kind of waiting on the sidelines with no clear use. But one day perhaps we will be running Federal special operations units on covert insertions and flying Imperial dignitaries on time sensitive diplomatic missions.

Speaking of passenger missions, it would be really nice to be able to charter a taxi service to hop to your stored ships as well.

• Options
    Alteratively have your ships fed-ex to a different station.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Alteratively have your ships fed-ex to a different station.

Taxi missions are content for passenger vessel driving players, though, which I think the game will need.

• Options
    I read that and all I see is "kidnap people and dump them into Sagittarius A*"

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I read that and all I see is "kidnap people and dump them into Sagittarius A*"

Well see, I had some thoughts about that.

I figured that as the player NEEDING the taxi service, your end of it would be basically seamless. Pick the place you want to go, perhaps see some pricing options based on your carrier's speed & jump capabilities, accept one, pay the fee, and take a fully automated ride, maybe even a shortened transition of some sort. If you wanted it to be a cutscene or even instant transition, I wouldn't argue. Crossing hundreds of LY of civilized space is currently a time sink and the least interesting part of the game.

On the other end of things, your request would generate bulletin board missions in a global queue that could be accessed by anyone with passenger modules. Anyone could fulfill the request. Within a given timeframe, drivers would receive the payout for making the run, but say.. the first certain number of people to get there, accept the run from the bulletin board, and complete the run, would get a bonus. The passenger and pilot sides of it would be completely separate aside from the passenger request helping to populate the queue of missions available to the taxi pilots. That takes care of the waiting period for your taxi to arrive, and removes the ability for your player taxi driver to grief you.

Cog on
  • Options
    If the ride on the passenger end is fully automated, what's the point of generating missions for players? It doesn't affect the outcome. Easier to just create those procedurally instead of linking them to players moving around via taxi.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I was making my way towards one of the CG last night, and noticed something odd - during one jump my heat level spiked and I started getting heat damage and the smoke effects from the cockpit etc. I am not sure why.

Also, got veeeeery close to running out of fuel which was scary - I had to jump blind to a system I didn't have a system map for....luckily there was a station.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    If the ride on the passenger end is fully automated, what's the point of generating missions for players? It doesn't affect the outcome. Easier to just create those procedurally instead of linking them to players moving around via taxi.

Allow the procedural missions and make the player generated missions higher payout. The point isn't particularly for it to be realistic, it's just to help make taxi driving viable. If, as a player, you have to wait for someone else to drive you and you're open to being griefed, there's zero reason to catch a ride, you'll just buy a throwaway shuttle.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    I was making my way towards one of the CG last night, and noticed something odd - during one jump my heat level spiked and I started getting heat damage and the smoke effects from the cockpit etc. I am not sure why.

Also, got veeeeery close to running out of fuel which was scary - I had to jump blind to a system I didn't have a system map for....luckily there was a station.

If you initiate a jump while your engines are already running hot, they will start overheating while in flight.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll keep an eye out, I don't recall doing anything different for that leg but who knows :)

• Options
    I thought of another potential way the courier may get good jump ranges.

Perhaps the ship has a comically oversized fuel tank and the majority of the vessel's mass is fuel.

Downgrading the fuel tank to something reasonable will decrease it's mass and improve jump range.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Having two FSD housings would be pretty cool.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    The new newsletter is out, and it has Diamondback screenshots:

b6df3b6b95613c4c59a6cd42015de587.jpg

80b5eda2e25d8e7303ddbfdbfe47e7e3.jpg

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    I could fly that.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I love the tail end of the Diamondback. The way the engines sit under the body is very cool.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    oJin5cc.pngAabLbcj.png?1cIqnhmS.jpg

Cog on
  • Options
    Also from the newsletter
    As further allegedly alien artefacts from Soontill are being sold on the open market, the results of the initial scientific tests have been revealed. “We were looking for key markers,” explains Chief Xeno-Chemist Lyran Betar. “Elemental make up, crystalline structure, anything that indicates it could have originated from human hand.” The research team’s results state that no known human technology could have created the relics, yet they do not quite align with known Thargoid materials. Whatever they are, they are indeed very old, with isotopic dating indicating that they could well be tens of thousands of years old.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Also from the newsletter, Delacy wallpaper (spoilered for big)
    QADmwFj.png

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    A company called TrackHat just started selling head tracking rigs that claim to be the cheapest complete tracking system on the market and are fully compatible with Elite.

I took a peek at their site, it's $30 for a sensor equipped hat and $20 for a bare clip that would go on a headset.

Cog on
  • Options
    Cog wrote: »
    A company called TrackHat just started selling head tracking rigs that claim to be the cheapest complete tracking system on the market and are fully compatible with Elite.

I took a peek at their site, it's $30 for a sensor equipped hat and $20 for a bare clip that would go on a headset.

Yeah, $150 is a bit much for a glorified webcam these days. TrackIR is a great product, but it's time for the price to drop IMO.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Would be an even cheaper investment for me, my laptop webcam should be able to pick up the IR. I wouldn't even have to drop the ~$10 on a PS3 Eye or anything. I might have to get in on this.

Cog on
This discussion has been closed.