As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're Back! Happy [Ghostbusters] 2 Day! (28th Anniversary June 16th)

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Social pressure, like all things, is a tool. The problem is that hate and lashing out at people, whatever side your on, can feel really good and cathartic (like, scientifically provably so), and that's where it can become less about trying to change someone's attitude, and more feeling good about yourself or posturing in front of your followers. A lot of what I see, the public belittling and shaming that goes on, it's not undeserved but it's also almost guaranteed to entrench views rather than redirect them.

forumsig.png
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I really hope that doesn't read as me apologising for or excusing their behaviour, or blaming it on the people they abuse. I just kind of think we need less hatred all round.

Have to agree with that sentiment. I'm kinda hoping the sequel uses the goofy emotion-amplifying slime from GB2 just so they can set that as a major theme of the film.

steam_sig.png
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    i believe wholeheartedly that it's a lot easier to criticise someone than it is to actually understand them as human beings. and i also happen to believe that most people are human beings.

that said, it's also a lot easier empathising with someone like you than it is to do so with someone different on a number of fronts. which is why, for some reason, we see in media the most amount of genuine empathy for the most privileged class

i guess my point is it's easy for white guys to talk about why bullies are bullies ad nauseum, but when we orient the problem around that perspective, it makes it harder to get out of the thought bubble so to speak. and we don't find ourselves getting answers to questions like 'why is it so much more painful for a black woman to be abused on twitter than it apparently is for white men who want to talk about it'

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Personally I had no interest in the movie because the trailer sucked, and with ST-beyond in the cinemas soon, my short cinema time is already filled.

I will probably take a look once it's on netflix or something though.

Why is everything in this world becoming so fucking polarized. Every way you look, it's "us" vs "them". Politics, religion, media, everywhere.

Can't someone just not particularly like a movie because they think it looks mediocre?

I swear I think someone's putting lead in the drinking water, the whole fucking world is aggressive as hell and it will take no good end if this continues

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Personally I had no interest in the movie because the trailer sucked, and with ST-beyond in the cinemas soon, my short cinema time is already filled.

I will probably take a look once it's on netflix or something though.

Why is everything in this world becoming so fucking polarized. Every way you look, it's "us" vs "them". Politics, religion, media, everywhere.

Can't someone just not particularly like a movie because they think it looks mediocre?

I swear I think someone's putting lead in the drinking water, the whole fucking world is aggressive as hell and it will take no good end if this continues

It's easy to dislike a movie because it's mediocre and a lot of people have put genuine criticism towards GB16 without being dogpiled.
    If you open your critique with "I already hated this move" or "It ruined my childhood" or "This reboot is an unnecessary cash grab" or God forbid "the all female cast is a gimmick" then your motives for criticizing them film become pretty suspect because good god there is a hate machine engine pointed at the film and you don't need to add more fuel to that fire.

Rainfall on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular

well, no. you can not like the trailer because you think it looks mediocre... but i think you have to realise not liking a movie you haven't seen is disingenuous

i haven't seen pitch perfect 2 because it looks mediocre and it's clearly not for me, but i'm not going to go talking about how much i don't like pitch perfect 2

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    victims of persecution moving to the next lower group of people on the totem pole is a common thing in history

Oh! Totem poles used to allude to hierarchy/status! That's another one of those weird, wrong Indian things that snuck into the cultural lexicon

It ain't how actual totem poles work at all, but it's just this weirdly commonly accepted parlance now. Linguistic appropriation.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

well, no. you can not like the trailer because you think it looks mediocre... but i think you have to realise not liking a movie you haven't seen is disingenuous

i haven't seen pitch perfect 2 because it looks mediocre and it's clearly not for me, but i'm not going to go talking about how much i don't like pitch perfect 2

The trailer is supposed to sell me on the movie, though. Is the movie really that much different from the trailers?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

The trailer is supposed to sell me on the movie, though. Is the movie really that much different from the trailers?

Very, yes.

• EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    i thought the trailers were bad but went to see the movie anyways

it was great

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I have no problem saying I don't like Pitch Perfect 2 based on the trailers.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    This has actually been the year of really terrible trailers.

The new Star Trek might be the exception in that it is probably exactly the kind of movie it appears to be. Weird that people seem to be upset at that considering it also looks like the last two movies.

Quire.jpg
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

the thing about trailers is that no one involved with making the movie has anything to do with them so the marketing department is not intimately familiar with the flick, nor is there a guarantee the cats making them have any idea how to sell the product they are given.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

the thing about trailers is that no one involved with making the movie has anything to do with them so the marketing department is not intimately familiar with the flick, nor is there a guarantee the cats making them have any idea how to sell the product they are given.

Oftentimes the people cutting the trailers have little say, or are given terrible instructions, by those marketing departments

A buddy of mine cuts TV spots for a little boutiquey edit house. One of his earliest gigs was working on 15-second Straight Outta Compton spots, those really quick ones that air during the ins/outs of commercial breaks in event broadcasting - award shows, sports, etc.

He had to do one that would air during the BET awards, and he was told by some ad exec to "Make it Martin Luther King-y."

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I've loved all the trailers I've seen of it so in my experience, no.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Oftentimes the people cutting the trailers have little say, or are given terrible instructions, by those marketing departments

A buddy of mine cuts TV spots for a little boutiquey edit house. One of his earliest gigs was working on 15-second Straight Outta Compton spots, those really quick ones that air during the ins/outs of commercial breaks in event broadcasting - award shows, sports, etc.

He had to do one that would air during the BET awards, and he was told by some ad exec to "Make it Martin Luther King-y."

This anecdote made me actually scream a little when I finished it

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I would start bleeding from my eyes.

My professional trailer maker is waiting for your apology.
    x9ua3h6rqo96.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    If a trailer fails to sell you on a movie or tells you it's a kind of movie you aren't gonna likeep that's understandable

I think where people get weirded out is when someone says a movie is bad without seeing it, most people would probably agree you need to see it to pass judgement

Also a lot of people thought the movie was better than the trailers, I liked them though

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

So did he?

(I'd actually love to see what the final product was, given those instructions)

Joolander wrote: »

So did he?

(I'd actually love to see what the final product was, given those instructions)

He focused on the clips of the guys dealing with police

So, he did the best with the tools at his disposal

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Looks like I'll be seeing this a third time - a friend wants to see it but has no one to come with. Last time I did it was Pacific Rim.

• robotbeerobotbee Drop any other moon on his face -Jupiter has so many it won't even careRegistered User regular
    So I wound up seeing this twice today, with two different friends. The last time I saw a movie twice in a single day was Scott Pilgrim. The trailers for this seemed so uninspired that I just wondered why they were making it, which bummed me out. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO GLAD TO BE WRONG IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

Whom the fly chicks tagged Lenore, nameless here forevermore.
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Every single one of Paul Feig's movies has been severely undersold by the trailers

Like, who thought Spy was gonna be any good

6F32U1X.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, the ghostbusters game is way rougher than I remember. Slowwalking around with your PKE meter out to find collectibles isn't that fun and the combat is flat out bad IMO. Like wrangling with a proton beam is alright, but dealing with swarms of enemies sucks. Using the proton gun as a damaging weapon rather than just a capture beam feels tedius and the other weapons are pretty meh.

Also, I've said this before, but the part where you have to slam the cherubs into the gate might be one of the most frustrating moments in a videogame I have ever experienced.

I've mentioned the main reason to play this is because they got the actors back for a last hurrah, but the VO isn't nearly as good as I remember. I thought just Bill Murray sounded phoned in, but there's just bad line reads all over this thing. :(

Also had a weird slowdown issue in the final bossfight that actually lead to the program crashing. Got it the second time though.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

"I don't want to see this movie, because of the trailers" and "This movie is mediocre, because of the trailers" are two different things. If you've only seen the trailers you can gauge your interest in the movie, but if you haven't seen the movie then trying to form an opinion on the quality of the movie is goosey.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Man, the ghostbusters game is way rougher than I remember. Slowwalking around with your PKE meter out to find collectibles isn't that fun and the combat is flat out bad IMO. Like wrangling with a proton beam is alright, but dealing with swarms of enemies sucks. Using the proton gun as a damaging weapon rather than just a capture beam feels tedius and the other weapons are pretty meh.

Also, I've said this before, but the part where you have to slam the cherubs into the gate might be one of the most frustrating moments in a videogame I have ever experienced.

I've mentioned the main reason to play this is because they got the actors back for a last hurrah, but the VO isn't nearly as good as I remember. I thought just Bill Murray sounded phoned in, but there's just bad line reads all over this thing. :(

Also had a weird slowdown issue in the final bossfight that actually lead to the program crashing. Got it the second time though.

The trick with the cherubs is to slime-tether the gate and then hit the little bastards with the other end. BAM!

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Twitter told her they had any other plans besides banning milo to help with the harassment problem.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

The trick with the cherubs is to slime-tether the gate and then hit the little bastards with the other end. BAM!

This is why you have your own franchise

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    wasn't sure whether to post this in the Election thread or the Ghostbusters thread, so porque no los dos?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I have a nasty suspicion that the genesis of a lot of these people's problems involves being repeatedly ridiculed and ostracised.

I have no sympathy whatsoever with the way they act, but I also suspect that the dirty hippie idea that you can't fight hate with hate is true. Does abusing them back* make them think "I need to stop doing this" or does it push them further into the clutches of the people who don't ostracise them, who tell them that they're right and good just the way they are?

I read a story about the genesis of Trump, and the genesis of what he became was the bullying and ridicule of the elite establishment he wanted to join. I'm sure he was always a blowhard with gaudy taste who you wouldn't want to be stuck in a room with. An easy target (as he remains) for piss takers. I think the years of constant ridicule are part of what made him into the monster he is today. I read about Romney asking for his endorsement in 2012 and then ripping the piss out of him behind his back. About his whole staff mocking everything this fucking dumb dumb says. I put myself in his shoes for a moment, think of him as a human being instead of a punchline, and know exactly what that feels like.

I think the same is probably true of his supporters, who we (progressives) call toothless rednecks and idiots until they have no interest in listening to us. These guys say I'm an idiot and that everything I believe and stand for is stupid**. This other guy says that I am right and good and that fuck those people.

If you're that person, who do you listen to? Isn't the end result supposed to be "these people listen to us, and cease electing monsters"?

*They full on don't get the kind of abuse back that they give out, don't get me wrong. It's completely lopsided, but they are routinely insulted and ostracised for totally understandable reasons
    **No one's saying they're not right. It's not about who's right

Might take a gander at this.
    https://medium.com/welcome-to-the-scream-room/im-with-the-banned-8d1b6e0b2932#.smpipzirr
    Written from the perspective of the sane woman in the room with the insanity that is the internet hate machine.

Turns out some of them just weaponize the nebulous hatred of people left behind by the lib-progressive movement for the sole purpose of grabbing a brief glimmer of fame.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Saw this tonight. It was fun, and had it's good share of jokes I liked and some that fell flat. I was downright swooning over Kate McKinnon though, oh my stars and garters.
    Naturally when she busted out the pistols and the motherfucking Ghostbusters Orchestral Theme starts blaring I had to resist the urge to leap up and cheer my heart out. I never knew how much I needed a full orchestra to play Ghostbusters until tonight.

Chris Hemsworth just killed it as Kevin. I have to know how much of his shit was improv-ed, cause it feels like not all of it was scripted.

I also liked the cameos, they were very well incorporated. Everyone in the theater whimpered a bit once they noticed the Ramis bust in the University.

Third act felt a bit rushed and I kinda would've liked a bit more explanation as to how Rowan got the idea to destroy the barrier between the living and the spirit world. Even Shandor was just a crazy cultist.

Makes me wanna take another run at doing a Ghostbusters RPG.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

the main reason to play it probably doesn't exist anymore, actually:

the multiplayer.

the multiplayer was super dang fun. i had a regular crew of strangers i met, in game, that i'd run around with, shoot the shit with, etc. which, if you knew my aversion to anything multiplayer is a goddamn triumph,

it was probably the best time i ever had playing a multiplayer game

6vjsgrerts6r.png

I read the first few cjhapters of the tie in book, Ghosts of Our Past, and it's pretty ok. I laughed enough for my 8 bucks.
    The forward is written by Bill Murray's cameo character so you get to find out what happened to him, MAYBE, since Erin's chapter disputes what he says, weirdly

Intro is Erin and Abby talking about why this new revised version isn't 400+ pages long (they removed all the stuff about orbs because "turns out they're just dust").

Chapter 1 is Erin talking about her ghost when she was young. Not a lot of funny in this chapter but uit was a neat read.

Chapter 2 is Abby writing about how she met Erin and is pretty hilarious.

I was too drunk by this point so I don't remember chapter 3.

THAT IS MY BOOK REPORT

edited July 2016
    https://youtu.be/5KxhU_yZLG8

Leslie Jones saw the video Craig at the Yes Have Some Podcast put together. ❤️

TankHammer on
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I read the first few cjhapters of the tie in book, Ghosts of Our Past, and it's pretty ok. I laughed enough for my 8 bucks.
    The forward is written by Bill Murray's cameo character so you get to find out what happened to him, MAYBE, since Erin's chapter disputes what he says, weirdly

Intro is Erin and Abby talking about why this new revised version isn't 400+ pages long (they removed all the stuff about orbs because "turns out they're just dust").

Chapter 1 is Erin talking about her ghost when she was young. Not a lot of funny in this chapter but uit was a neat read.

Chapter 2 is Abby writing about how she met Erin and is pretty hilarious.

I was too drunk by this point so I don't remember chapter 3.

THAT IS MY BOOK REPORT

Here are my copies. Haven't figured out which one to read yet.
    dccbevu999pk.jpg
    5zcqxtx0ncc4.jpg

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Can you post the video in quesiton from the podcast?

This discussion has been closed.