As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're Back! Happy [Ghostbusters] 2 Day! (28th Anniversary June 16th)

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I flatly refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrell. He's either not funny at all or downright offensive with his lame shtick. I pretty much put him in the same group as Adam Sandler.

Celebrity Jeopardy disagrees.

While funny, those SNL bits are fifty seven years old

Shakespeare is hundreds of years old and still entertaining so I don't know what this means.

Shakespeare is boring.

Go, prick thy face, and over-red thy fear, Thou lily-liver’d boy.

Or my favourite, your virginity breeds mites, much like a cheese.

BLEAH

I did Shakespeare for almost 10 years, I can't stomach it anymore.

I re-read the plays every few years. They're like little word puzzles, soduku with a plot.

But yeah, if you did them solidly for 10 years I can see that getting a little tiresome.

i teach four shakespeare plays every year

they only get better

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2016
    One of the problems I had with the movie was that it felt like more of a vehicle for jokes and the narrative flow was super disjointed.
    Scenes like Murray's character dying was just weird and cut have been cut entirely. He worked as a cute cameo on the news program but it was weird to have him come back to have no greatest purpose but to die.

Note that this would have been forgiven if he had come back later during the climax as a ghost all pissed off at them.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    I dunno, it plays into the subplot Erin wants people to believe in ghosts.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »

The problem is it doesn't actually pay into the character arc, IMO.
    Like, the dude dies, it gets swept under the rug by the government, but then the government replaces Murray as the obstacle to their validation. If you cut Murray out of the film, you still have the same character progression.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Goose! wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Will Ferrell is the same way and he's one of the most beloved comedic actors around right now.

Stranger than Fiction is one of my favorite movies, and Will Farrell actually acts, and it makes it hard to watch his other stuff because I know how good he can be. (there are a few other dramatic movies he's in as well, and they are great as well).

Stranger Than Fiction is definitely a great flick, I always watch it when I see it on TV. I loved Old School as a kid when it came out. I loved Talladega Nights but its already not aged well.

Honestly, I usually enjoy Will. I tend to just avoid some of his movies though (Anchorman 2, Zoolander 2 but that's more because I didn't want to pay movie theater price to see it)

Not an original thought, and I'm gonna politicize a bit here, but I enjoy Stranger than Fiction less and less the more I consider its implications in terms of the stereotype of the successful woman, and particularly the successful woman writer. It's another example of how male writers, fictional or real, are lionized for their quirks, however deranged (looking at you, Bukowski) and the female writer is consistently enfeebled by her career choice. Like... the more I watch it the more upsetting it becomes that she is supposedly accomplished and acknowledged in her field and is "living the life of an eccentric, ill-kempt, chain-smoking hermit," to quote the writer whose article brought this to my attention initially. Real-life hot mess male authors get characterized as charmingly roguish, while women are routinely - even when their writing is lauded and lives long past their deaths - written off as emotional disasters to pity.

Woof, guess I have some opinions about that!

I hella loved the new Ghostbusters though. I'm toying with the idea of going as Holtzmann for Halloween.

I never thought about that, and I can definitely see it. I always thought it just a bit of comic relief. I mean, the person they get to keep her on track and get her across the finish line is also a woman. But I guess all that says is "it could've been worse, they could've sent a man to make her focus" or something awful like that. Also, I thought they did a great job with Maggie Gyllenhaal's character, as well. How many movies do you see a woman as both an entrepreneur and charitable person and sorta anti-authoritative figure (even if it's just for her own self) where she doesn't just get made into the most horrible witch possible. I guess I feel they get more right than they do wrong, but I'm not speaking from a position to be making those sorts of judgments.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hmm I know what you're saying about her character, but to counter: Ana's personality may be vaguely anti-authoritarian, but essentially her role is one considered within the acceptable range of employments for women. She's a baker. And her method of rebelling happily doubles as something fitting the female stereotype of having 'no head for business.' In a lot of ways she's cute and charming and a fun character, and I like her! But I don't feel that she ultimately provides much other than an impetus for Harold to change. I'm not saying that she necessarily has to be or do more than that (she is a secondary character, after all), but I don't think she's a great representative of well-rounded female characters or a good depiction of women in media.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    My solution: don't watch the trailers.
    Amusingly enough, almost all the laughs in the theater came for Kevin and stuff from the trailers. The joke regarding Ed Begley's character also hit.

See that's why trailers are a no-win pox upon cinema. Either they're good and ruin what should be great moments in the movie, or they're terrible and fail to sell the movie.

It's very rare that someone makes a trailer that positively sells the movie without diminishing the movie itself, or better yet, a trailer that actually enhances the movie.

I think the Godzilla 2014 trailer was pretty great.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the man of steel trailer was pretty amazing. shame about the movie.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    trailers rule

give me more trailers

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »

The problem is it doesn't actually pay into the character arc, IMO.
    Like, the dude dies, it gets swept under the rug by the government, but then the government replaces Murray as the obstacle to their validation. If you cut Murray out of the film, you still have the same character progression.

Well, it was always going to be written that way since you never know if Bill Murray is going to show up or not.
    Even his 'death' is not shown, with the chalk line removed from the film to keep the possibility open he survived for the sequel
    But for a throwaway scene, it did manage to play in a theme and remind us Erin has a past where she is bullied by non believers.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this movie, but I'm becoming more unsatisfied with Leslie Jones' role the more I think about it

She did a great job! But Patty was othered in a few ways that are REALLY hard to ignore. Plus her role as a city historian felt mostly extraneous to the plot... unlike the scientific skills of the other characters.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I enjoyed this movie, but I'm becoming more unsatisfied with Leslie Jones' role the more I think about it

She did a great job! But Patty was othered in a few ways that are REALLY hard to ignore. Plus her role as a city historian felt mostly extraneous to the plot... unlike the scientific skills of the other characters.

I know it doesn't erase the optics but worth noting that Patty was originally supposed to be played by one of the other Lady's with Lesie playing one of the scientists. From what I've heard the change was her decision.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    My solution: don't watch the trailers.
    Amusingly enough, almost all the laughs in the theater came for Kevin and stuff from the trailers. The joke regarding Ed Begley's character also hit.

See that's why trailers are a no-win pox upon cinema. Either they're good and ruin what should be great moments in the movie, or they're terrible and fail to sell the movie.

It's very rare that someone makes a trailer that positively sells the movie without diminishing the movie itself, or better yet, a trailer that actually enhances the movie.

I think the Godzilla 2014 trailer was pretty great.

the one with the Oppenheimer voice-over? it's one of my favorite trailers.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular

I thought Patty's explanation of the historical sites and their hauntings was pretty important for the plot myself. Plus she's the one who identified Rowan and suggested the way to reverse the portal. She was very integral to the plot, at least as much as the other main characters.

Then again, I've heard people making arguments as to why a Winston's iconic "maybe the reason we've been so busy lately is that the dead have been rising from the grave!" line should have been said by Janine and Winston's part cut entirely. I disagree strongly with that as well, but I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I thought everyone's original skills but Holtzmann's went unused throughout the whole film.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

I know it doesn't erase the optics but worth noting that Patty was originally supposed to be played by one of the other Lady's with Lesie playing one of the scientists. From what I've heard the change was her decision.

That is good in that those optics weren't intentional and it means there's a chance they do something in the sequel to try and make it better.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I thought everyone's original skills but Holtzmann's went unused throughout the whole movie

Now that you point it out

Erin and Abby basically never use their scientific skills for anything really?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

I thought everyone's original skills but Holtzmann's went unused throughout the whole movie

Now that you point it out

Erin and Abby basically never use their scientific skills for anything really?

I guess it's assumed their studies were instrumental in what Holtzman was doing. A lot of what they did concerned the interaction of particle physics on ectoplasmic entities.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Super spoilery but it covers a lot of planned scenes, inspirations for characters and even a hint at where they want to go for a sequel!

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/ghostbusters-paul-feig-shares-13-secrets/

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Super spoilery but it covers a lot of planned scenes, inspirations for characters and even a hint at where they want to go for a sequel!

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/ghostbusters-paul-feig-shares-13-secrets/
    “You shouldn’t read what crazy people write in the middle of the night online,” jokes Kristen Wiig’s Erin pointedly at one point.

I thought Melissa McArthy said that.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I flatly refuse to watch anything with Will Ferrell. He's either not funny at all or downright offensive with his lame shtick. I pretty much put him in the same group as Adam Sandler.

Shakespeare is hundreds of years old and still entertaining so I don't know what this means.

Shakespeare is boring.
    Oh, my goodness, no, not at all.

sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukun wrote: »

Shakespeare is boring.

He meant "boning". "Shakespeare is boning". Because of all the sexual content, you see.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

Shakespeare is boring.

He meant "boning". "Shakespeare is boning". Because of all the sexual content, you see.

that's the sequel to "Shakespeare in Love", right?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    No, I meant boring. It's tired as hell and swiftly becoming way too unapproachable. Modern stuff does just what Shakespeare did and better to boot because it's relatable.

• Options
    No, I meant boring. It's tired as hell and swiftly becoming way too unapproachable. Modern stuff does just what Shakespeare did and better to boot because it's relatable.

Shakespeare is very relatable and that why it has remained relevant and enjoyable for 500 years.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

What about Romeo + Juliet?

• Options

Shakespeare is very relatable and that why it has remained relevant and enjoyable for 500 years.

Yes, relevant and enjoyable to a very small amount of people. The reason the plays keep getting done isn't quality of prose, it's because they put asses in seats and there's no fee to do them.

• Options
    It puts asses in seats because the "small amount of people" thing is straight up incorrect.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Wow I... I don't think that's true at all.

First of all are you actually saying Shakespeare lacks quality of prose?

Second of all, if you strip away the prose, there's a reason that modernized-language versions of the stories Shakespeare told keep cropping up in adaptations, and it's not that they're free content - it's because they share common human themes of love, loss, aging, jealousy, etc.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    There's a site that translates text into Shakespearean English. I've been reformatting our SOPs with it at work.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Like, I cannot fathom how "puts asses in seats" jives in any way with "relevant and enjoyable to a small amount of people".

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

Yes, relevant and enjoyable to a very small amount of people. The reason the plays keep getting done isn't quality of prose, it's because they put asses in seats and there's no fee to do them.

You realize that your first sentence contradicts your second quite spectacularly here, yeah? If the amount was very small there wouldn't be enough asses in the seat to keep people wanting to do them.

EDIT: Verily, thou hast ghosted me.

Goose! on
  • Options

You realize that your first sentence contradicts your second quite spectacularly here, yeah? If the amount was very small there wouldn't be enough asses in the seat to keep people wanting to do them.

EDIT: Verily, thou hast ghosted me.

Get ye ghosted, wastrel!

• Options

Look, you can rework the language and it's still Shakespeare, and so many modern stories are just reworkings of Shakespeare stories. Good stories literally don't go bad with age, which is why we're still retelling some of the most ancient remembered stories. I threw Shakespeare out as an example, but Homer's Odyssey would be a great example as well, of a story which has not really aged in literal Millennia. The Bible, while cliche, is another example of a (collection of) stor(ies) that remains relevant and effective after long time.

The idea that comedy being super old makes it bad is ridiculous. It can if it's topical humor, and I'll grant that some of the celebrity impersonation stuff gets less effective with age, but a lot of those impressions are intentionally shitty and the actual humor of them has nothing to do with who they're parodying. The best jokes are about how phenomenally stupid the contestants are and how frustrated and insane they drive Trebek and those jokes haven't aged a lick.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited July 2016
    It puts asses in seats because the "small amount of people" thing is straight up incorrect.

It may be but not in my experience. We never had full houses nor have I seen a full house except for the big theaters around here. It's just that more of the ticket sales are profit.

And whenever we asked people how they liked it, 7 times out of 10 the answer was always some variation on "I couldn't understand a thing you said but you were all really good". People don't go to see Shakespeare because it's good.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Like, I cannot fathom how "puts asses in seats" jives in any way with "relevant and enjoyable to a small amount of people".

Try harder then.

Shakespeare shows are guaranteed to get an audience with a larger profit percentage because there's no rights to pay for. Just not a big one.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

Try harder then.

I feel like this would be easier if you weren't just wrong.

Have you considering being less wrong?

• Options
    Wow I... I don't think that's true at all.

First of all are you actually saying Shakespeare lacks quality of prose?

Second of all, if you strip away the prose, there's a reason that modernized-language versions of the stories Shakespeare told keep cropping up in adaptations, and it's not that they're free content - it's because they share common human themes of love, loss, aging, jealousy, etc.

Nope. The language is beautiful.

I'm not talking about the modernized version; and almost every movie or story out there shares common human themes, Shakespeare didn't invent or perfect those.

Anyone is free to adore Shakepseare as much as they want but it's not the pemultimate result of theatrical art.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Anyone is free to adore Shakepseare as much as they want but it's not the pemultimate result of theatrical art.

what does this mean

• Options
    I don't believe anyone was claiming that it was "the penultimate result of theatrical art."

We're saying that the stories told by Shakespeare, contrary to your stated opinion, are:

A. Relatable
    B. Relevant
    C. Enjoyable to the masses
    D. Not boring
    E. Not tired.

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.