As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're Back! Happy [Ghostbusters] 2 Day! (28th Anniversary June 16th)

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Thank you. We hope that we can help you again.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    If that's the case, make sure you get the "repeating phantasm" deal Thor.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Actually a repeating phantasm or "free-repeater" is a class of ghost that repeats the same actions consistently. Sometimes it is difficult to catch the ghost permanently and the 'Buster must get creative to break the cycle or destroy whatever possessed item is binding it to the area.

We have an explicit re-haunting clause but if you'd like to purchase a long term service plan I'll have our admin fax you over some paperwork.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    What's the company stance on places with known hauntings? Say someone calls up in San Diego and the local branch there accidently takes down a ghost affiliated with the Whaley House. What happens at that point?

I'm guessing some weird paranormal lawsuit?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    What's the company stance on places with known hauntings? Say someone calls up in San Diego and the local branch there accidently takes down a ghost affiliated with the Whaley House. What happens at that point?

I'm guessing some weird paranormal lawsuit?

Hey, that's between the client and the Whaley House. We just do the job we're paid to do. So long as we have our paperwork in order and we haven't trespassed on private property it ain't our problem!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We have a pretty hefty lawsuit waiver as well when we first get on site. After that is signed we can pretty much do anything up to leveling a location to capture the spirit. So long at 5.37% of the structure is still standing we are not liable.

All other damage claims and possible tourism damage is handled by the city as written in the initial franchise paperwork as approved by local city council upon franchise formation.

Most cities are happy to have Ghostbusters on hand due to paranormal activity hurting their tourism income.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Though it is important to note that not all franchisees have a perfect record in getting that paperwork signed and notarized.

Looking at you Louisiana.

• Options
    We have a pretty hefty lawsuit waiver as well when we first get on site. After that is signed we can pretty much do anything up to leveling a location to capture the spirit. So long at 5.37% of the structure is still standing we are not liable.

All other damage claims and possible tourism damage is handled by the city as written in the initial franchise paperwork as approved by local city council upon franchise formation.

Most cities are happy to have Ghostbusters on hand due to paranormal activity hurting their tourism income.

But what about places where paranormal activity encourages tourism? However the activity goes from mostly benign to mostly malignant and of course busting the ghost turns the attraction into just another old house/building?

newSig.jpg
  • Options

But what about places where paranormal activity encourages tourism? However the activity goes from mostly benign to mostly malignant and of course busting the ghost turns the attraction into just another old house/building?

As Dr. Tank hammer touched upon, that would be up to the location owner. If they want to keep their ghost they won't call us! It's not like we run around busting ghosts pro bono!

Ahahahahaha

What a crazy thought. Pro bono. Ahahahaha.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

As Dr. Tank hammer touched upon, that would be up to the location owner. If they want to keep their ghost they won't call us! It's not like we run around busting ghosts pro bono!

Ahahahahaha

What a crazy thought. Pro bono. Ahahahaha.

maxresdefault.jpg

Meddlin' MUSHROOMS you ghostbusters better stay outta crystal cove! We're the most haunted town in this great country of ours and it better stay that way!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I just checked the franchise records, there was a Crystal Cove Ghostbuster franchise.

They seem to have existed for a single day and were then run out of town by an angry mob.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    A good case in point is Savannah, Georgia. We have franchisees in Macon and Atlanta but the last time we tried setting up a shop in Savannah the city council made it hell to clear the permits. They have a bustling tourism industry built around haunted inns and ghost walks so we're effectively being barred from opening near the city.

Of course they still let Zak Baggins and TAPS bungle through there. Tells you a lot right there.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I kind of hope this entire thread is just TankHammer/Timspork talking about being Ghostbusters

• Options
    I kind of hope this entire thread is just TankHammer/Timspork talking about being Ghostbusters

@Melding can chime in!

• Options

Trust the professionals.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I just checked the franchise records, there was a Crystal Cove Ghostbuster franchise.

They seem to have existed for a single day and were then run out of town by an angry mob.

turns out the real free roaming vapour, is man's inhumanity to man.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    A good case in point is Savannah, Georgia. We have franchisees in Macon and Atlanta but the last time we tried setting up a shop in Savannah the city council made it hell to clear the permits. They have a bustling tourism industry built around haunted inns and ghost walks so we're effectively being barred from opening near the city.

Of course they still let Zak Baggins and TAPS bungle through there. Tells you a lot right there.

Literally the only way I would watch one of those shows. :P

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Ah, turns out its Bagans. My bad.

• Options
    So what kind of training course/certification is involved?

I mean you do just hand someone that walks off the street an unlicensed nuclear accelerator/positron collider do you?
    :bigfrown:

Do you? :wonk:

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I mean you do just hand someone that walks off the street an unlicensed nuclear accelerator/positron collider do you?

That does seem to be exactly what happened in the first movie. :D

• Options

Well there is a battery of questions an applicant will go through. Most of this is to weed out skeptics or crazies we get off the street.

However, if they want to do the work we get them strapped into a pack asap!

There is an official training video but Dr. Venkman somehow taped over half of the master copy with an episode of the X-files. After all these years, either no one has noticed, none of the franchises have bothered to report the problem, or HQ just doesn't care.

This does go to explain why every every Ghostbuster since the founder all seem to know about the Flukeman.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Well there is a battery of questions an applicant will go through. Most of this is to weed out skeptics or crazies we get off the street.

There is an official training video but Dr. Venkman somehow taped over half of the master copy with an episode of the X-files. After all these years, either no one has noticed, none of the franchises have bothered to report the problem, or HQ just doesn't care.

This does go to explain why every every Ghostbuster since the founder all seem to know about the Flukeman.

Protip for answering said questions. If asked for "Number of ghosts you're afraid of", answer "zero".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Protip for answering said questions. If asked for "Number of ghosts you're afraid of", answer "zero".

You are allowed one. However it must be very described in great detail on application form 22/c and you must be prepared to be ridiculed mercilessly if we find it funny at all.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    More sample questions:

Q. Bustin' makes me feel ___________.
    1. Angry
    2. Good
    3. Hungry
    4. Nothing

A.
    Good. Hungry is also acceptable for partial credit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Also note, that any "Fill in the blank" options for multiple choice answers should be carefully regarded as a potential trap.
    I almost answered that "Bustin' makes me feel:" question with "A deep and existential terror as the universe reveals to my unprepared mind things that mankind was not meant to know".

Dodged a bullet there.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Also note, that any "Fill in the blank" options for multiple choice answers should be carefully regarded as a potential trap.
    I almost answered that "Bustin' makes me feel:" question with "A deep and existential terror as the universe reveals to my unprepared mind things that mankind was not meant to know".

Dodged a bullet there.

Actually that would be half-credit.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Tools of the trade: The Ectomobiles (part 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naze4G_tubY
    (Summoning Colorado franchisee @Boomerjinks to the thread)

Ghostbusters International Inc. is known for operating some of the most interesting company vehicles around. Several are specialized for specific tasks or terrain.

The Ecto-1
    rUwOxr9.png?2

The original vehicle of the Ghostbusters, is a 1959 Cadillac Miller Meteor Futura model ambulance/hearse. It was in a state of disrepair, needing suspension work, shocks, brakes, brake pads, lining, a new steering box, transmission, rear-end, o-rings, muffler and a little wiring among other repairs.
    tgTdkdK.jpg?1
    ijvivg2.jpg
    Dr. Ray Stantz did most of the mechanical work on the vehicle himself, adding lights and sirens and a roof rack full of sensory equipment that would help the team track down paranormal threats. Originally the car was supposed to remain black but since the team operates largely at night it was impractical and hazardous so the high-visibility of the white and red color scheme was adopted which persists in many company vehicles to this day.
    eE0n2Jv.jpg?1

For the movie, Dan Aykroyd originally wanted the Ectomobile to be outfitted with futuristic technology and have it’s own sentience. It could even cloak itself to escape authorities. One cut scene would have had it vaporize a parking ticket left on the window by a traffic cop.
    Late in shooting the then-24-year-old Cadillac broke down on the Brooklyn Bridge and held up traffic until the film crew and NYPD could get it towed off the bridge. The state the car when it is seen in Ghostbusters 2 required no special effects as it really was filthy, backfiring and billowing smoke from being left to rot out on a Columbia backlot after promotional work finished on the first movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS8QAfSDwNE

Ecto-1A
    9aGnY9I.jpg?1

By 1989 the string of lawsuits and restraining orders placed on Ghostbusters Inc had prevented them from operating their business and earning the income required to maintain the Ecto-1 for several years. After having the ban lifted by the New York courts after proving the existence of a psychomagnetheric slime river and saving a judge from an attack by the ghosts of two vengeful convicted murders the team could finally renovate the vehicle.
    New additions to the Ecto-1 included more lightbars, electronic signage and a satellite dish among other additions. This also increased the already-considerable weight of the car, making high-speed turns and sudden stops highly dangerous but founder Dr. Peter Venkman most-likely insisted on the garish display to show New Yorkers that they were, indeed, back in business.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgkhKVpKl_4

The Ecto-1A in the movie is a different Cadillac from the original, as it was more cost-effective to build it anew. It is the same 1959 model with the obvious differences being the license plate and roof rack. Unlike the original movie car, this machine has not been restored and is still in extreme disrepair somewhere on studio property, much to the dismay of fans.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    (part 2)
    The Ecto Marine-8
    Z7imM6C.png

Manhattan is an island. Sometimes the creeps don’t always stay on land. When that happens a team needs to be able to give chase. Dr. Stantz took a similar approach to how he built the original Ecto-1. The boat is built from an old New York City tugboat, possibly several Frankensteined together. It’s seaworthiness is questionable at best but there are rarely other options available. It transported the team to Shandor Island in the Hudson River during the 1991 Thanksgiving incident but was nearly sunk when the island collapsed back into the water. It also served as transport to Hart Island in 1996 when the spirit of Vigo the Carpathian used the ongoing struggle with the god Tiamat to escape his painting again and turn the restless spirits of the island into his personal army. There is no recorded use of the craft since then and it is likely dry-docked.

The Ecto-2 (mobile containment unit)
    c2VsjNm.jpg?1

While the animated series had its own Ecto-2 back in the late 1980s (an auto-gyro with folding wings), the actual Ghostbusters’ Ecto-2 was a converted recreational vehicle used in the mid-90s when the city of New York loaned out Ghostbusters Inc.’s services to other major cities around the country. The vehicle is unique for being built to carry the first mobile ecto-containment unit, a nuclear-powered laser containment grid similar to the one built into the basement of the Ghostbusters New York headquarters and since replicated throughout most of the major franchise branches.

8SOTjXN.jpg

TankHammer on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    (Summoning Colorado franchisee @Bommerjinks to the thread)
    Tank, you may want to look into getting your keyboard exorcised, or whatever it is Ghostbusters call it when they leave a building (mostly) intact after they're done busting. Clearly, your hours spent working in such a ghost heavy environment has caused it to develop gremlins, or some other poltergeist like spirit.

Either that, or it was a typo when you tried to summon @Boomerjinks by misspelling his name. Haven't seen him post recently though, don't know how often he comes around these parts anymore.

• Options
    (part 3)
    Ecto-Gyro
    UGbu0Qu.jpg

Call it life imitating art or vice-versa but something about a small, ultra-light helicopter compelled Dr. Ray Stantz to buy yet-another impractical vehicle to bust ghosts from. The Ecto-gyro very clearly is based on the cartoon version of the Ecto-2 though it lack’s the later’s ability to fold-up inside the back of the Ecto-1 (cartoon physics just don’t translate well to actual physical dimensions) it’s just as capable of flying above the city to combat large or high-altitude ghosts. The auto-gyro seats two, one pilot and one passenger to operate the proton pack or other equipment.
    Ls6H3Lb.jpg

Ecto-15
    1u8Xti9.jpg

The official vehicle of Brian Welsh’s Chicago Ghostbusters is built from a modified, stretch cab done in the traditional company color scheme and outfitted with the standard array of sensory equipment. It lacks the hatchback storage of the Miller Meteor ambulance but the gull-wing door added to the side allows somewhat-easy access to packs and other equipment.
    LjuMqRG.jpg6rVwovW.pngIEEWh2r.jpg

The design is based on the original Ecto-1 plans before they were altered to fit the 1959 Cadillac ambulance.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    see317 wrote: »
    (Summoning Colorado franchisee @Bommerjinks to the thread)
    Tank, you may want to look into getting your keyboard exorcised, or whatever it is Ghostbusters call it when they leave a building (mostly) intact after they're done busting. Clearly, your hours spent working in such a ghost heavy environment has caused it to develop gremlins, or some other poltergeist like spirit.

Either that, or it was a typo when you tried to summon Boomerjinks by misspelling his name. Haven't seen him post recently though, don't know how often he comes around these parts anymore.

It's not a gremlin, they leave behind telltale traces of lubricating ectoplasm. It helps with loosening screws and bolts. I will sweep my laptop for PKE valances just to be sure, though. Thank you.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Wait... Does it stretch apart to open?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Wait... Does it stretch apart to open?

No, it's just a door.

• Options
    The Gyro is my favorite. The toy is great.

A reminder of what is not a toy,

Proton Packs.

• Options
    A reminder of what is not a toy,

Proton Packs.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    This is my new favorite thread.

My only regret
    Is it's hard to talk about Ghostbusters as a franchise, because I don't want anyone to break character. :biggrin:

• Options
    This is my new favorite thread.

My only regret
    Is it's hard to talk about Ghostbusters as a franchise, because I don't want anyone to break character. :biggrin:

You could talk about the movie they made about the New York crew back in the 80s following the Gozer incident. Zeddemore was a little amused at the casting choices but Venkman was annoyed that Bill Murray didn't look a thing like him.

Or you could talk about the cartoon they made, or the new movies that are supposedly in the works.

Just keep in mind that those things are not real. They're fiction. The real job is much less glamorous.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    fuck breaking character, i want a prop Ghostbusters the Video Game Proton Pack, and a Ghost Smasher pack.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Thanks to this thread I had to remember to appreciate my LEGO Ecto-1. It's a beautiful set.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I appreciate you, ghostbusters thread.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.