As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please Help Very Important...

Krieger Von VergultungKrieger Von Vergultung __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I really need to know how IP's work.

Here is the story.

I am playing a prank at school, AIMing people and pitting them against eachother etc. There is this asain kid who I think is very smart with computers. Can he track my IP address just with our AIM conversation? And even if he can't, is there another way for him to find my IP address, thus showing him who I am?

Please help.

Krieger Von Vergultung on

• Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't think he can. A couple years ago I was trying to get back at this guy who pretended to hack my AIM password, and I remember having to set it up so that he had to go to a website so I could figure out his IP and DoS him.

If it still works the same way then you should be fine. But the prank sounds kinda dumb, IMHO.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There's a lot more to the prank, but thank you very very much. He's the kind of kid who could kick my ass.

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I won't help you so you can play your stupid prank.

I'll help you so you can learn something useful.

He can't find your IP address from your AIM conversations, because your computers are communicating via the AIM network, rather than directly.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What other programs will give him my IP address?

• Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    IRC programs, such as mIRC.

ege02 on
  • Options
    HiredGunHiredGun Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you don't use the 'direct connect' feature on AIM, then as far as I know, there's no straightforward way (and perhaps no way at all) to find your IP, for precisely the reasons ege mentioned.

HiredGun on
  • Options
    PhilodoxPhilodox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm not so sure he wouldn't be able to. Granted I don't know anything about AIM, but I know with MSN the server acts as a broker. Once you start chatting with somebody on your contact list it's a direct connection to that person. It doesn't make any sense for AOL to have every single message pass through its servers.

Philodox on
    That's a Freudian mansex if I ever cocked one.
    twinsbanneroq0.jpg
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    man we used to use the netstat command with an -n flag to find peoples IPs and all we would do to establish a connection was have them send us an IM. Of course that was YEARS ago and we were all on the same college network, so I don't know anymore.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Assuming he could determine your IP, translating an IP address to a person's identity or physical location is for the purposes of this thread impossible without reading your ISP's logs.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So basically, there's little to no chance he could even FIND your IP, since AIM isn't really set up so that IPs can be found. And even if there was, it would be basically useless to him.

Alternatively, the wording of the OP suggests that the setting here is a school computer. If that's true then you're clear even if he does find out who "owns" the IP, because it would just be the school. But I have a sneaking suspicion that it was just wonkily worded and the computer being used is your own, for people at school.

matthias00 on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Guys, no threads asking for help breaking the law or being a stupid nuisance. We don't encourage bullshit here.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.