As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS OVER! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Because it's not news?

Everyone already knows that Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are all currently working on their next consoles.

Sure, but Nintendo are making it official and we know that it's coming sooner rather than later (comparatively).

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I think it's more news that Nintendo announced mobile games the same day that Sony announced a profit. The former is huge and later later's not something I expected to see anytime soon.

I think I saw Satan put on a Sweater.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If it's for a next-gen system out like 3-6 years from now, then it's "water is wet" grade news.

If it's hardware due in the next year or so, then it's "Nintendo commits suicide; Iwata demands blood" news and pretty big

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think it's more news that Nintendo announced mobile games the same day that Sony announced a profit. The former is huge and later later's not something I expected to see anytime soon.

I think I saw Satan put on a Sweater.

Yeah, obviously the mobile thing is bigger news since no one really expected it whereas a new game platform (home console + handheld combined?) is something that was gonna happen eventually. I'm just surprised that they're coming out with that news so early into the Wii U's life cycle.

Maz- on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I see as a way to reassure stockholders.

"Hey, things ain't great with the Wii U, but we're still working on a new console!"

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Assuming this "NX" is a replacement for anything and not something completely new and different, why would you guys assume it's a replacement for the Wii U, rather than the two-years-older 3DS?

I mean, aren't we all expecting a 3DS replacement around 2017, considering that's normal console lifespan?

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Because they just released the 'new' 3ds?

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Is that unusual? The DSi XL was released a mere 15 months before the 3DS, after all.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Maz- wrote: »

I don't know about the "massive profits" part. They'll probably be lost in the sea of mobile like everyone else.

There are tons of mobile games out there already aping Nintendo, Mario, Pokemon etc. Many are obviously shit but some almost look like they could be official Nintendo releases, using official art and such. How are those games doing? Are they making bank?

Plus Nintendo has said that the mobile games will be an attempt to steer people toward their consoles. On the surface this sounds to me like they'll be little more than interactive ads. You beat the game and you get a splash screen that says "find out more about Mario in Super Mario 3D World!"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Is that unusual? The DSi XL was released a mere 15 months before the 3DS, after all.

It wouldn't on its own. But the "Only for New Nintendo 3DS" tag line they've started changes things up.

This half step up has put them between a rock and a hard place. If they do nothing with it, then the whole endeavor was pointless and a waste of time. If they continue with it, but turn around and release the official successor to the 3DS, then it's a spit in the eye to anybody who bought the system for those N3DS exclusive games.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    They had DSi exclusive games too, and everyone remembers how that turned out.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

I don't know about the "massive profits" part. They'll probably be lost in the sea of mobile like everyone else.

There are tons of mobile games out there already aping Nintendo, Mario, Pokemon etc. Many are obviously shit but some almost look like they could be official Nintendo releases, using official art and such. How are those games doing? Are they making bank?

Plus Nintendo has said that the mobile games will be an attempt to steer people toward their consoles. On the surface this sounds to me like they'll be little more than interactive ads. You beat the game and you get a splash screen that says "find out more about Mario in Super Mario 3D World!"

If they make even a fraction of the profits companies like GungHo are raking in, then I think this business endeavor will have paid off.

I think it's a little too early to make predictions at this point, but given the growth of the mobile market and its popularity especially in Japan, I think it's a smart move.

I'm not sure if they'll entice people who only play mobile games to purchase a dedicated video game system, but they'll definitely get people who were adamant about never playing a mobile game to try them out.

No matter how you feel about the whole mobile thing, I think this is a positive sign. Mobile games, amiibo, QoL, possibly a game system that is both a home console and a handheld..Nintendo is willing to try new things and adapt to a changing market, which is a good thing. As long as they keep making great video games (and they will), there's nothing to worry about.

• Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with them trying, but at this point it's like...well, good luck.

Has The Pokemon Company reported how profitable their apps have been in that space?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I dunno, aren't there, like, a billion smartphones out there? I just can't see a company like Nintendo not making a profit.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    They had DSi exclusive games too, and everyone remembers how that turned out.

Which were they?

• Options
    I dunno, aren't there, like, a billion smartphones out there? I just can't see a company like Nintendo not making a profit.

You could say the same about a company like The Pokemon Company, that's why I asked how profitable they've been.

Nothing is a given in the mobile space. Even devs with the most popular games sometimes struggle to make sequels that even get noticed. Though maybe there's a difference between following up a smash hit game, and going into the market with a smash hit brand, so that people notice every release. Certainly Nintendo's releases will be scrutinized as people watch to see whether or not it's a profitable endeavor for them.

I just foresee this statement at some point in the future:
    Well of course Nintendo going mobile wasn't going to work out for them. Look, it's been two years and they've released a shitty endless runner, a memory game with Mario characters on the cards, a memory game with Zelda characters on the cards, and a handful of interactive strategy guides. Their unwillingness to go "all in" in order to preserve their console business made it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    This biggest news for me out of this conference was this:
    Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

Sounds like they finally have a partner to help them implement a unified account system.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    This biggest news for me out of this conference was this:
    Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

Sounds like they finally have a partner to help them implement a unified account system.

I hope that works out for them too, but it just makes me remember the time Nintendo partnered with GameSpy to handle their online gaming and the time Nintendo partnered with Hatena to handle hosting their Flipnote Studio animations.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/nintendos-next-console-is-code-named-the-nintendo-nx-1691867268?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Shot and a miss from Kotaku as always.

The "New PLATFORM", as it's been referred, could be the "third pillar" they suggested a while back. Designed for developing countries. The fact that they've said this new system will be designed for use between Wii U, 3DS and this new console suggests to me that maybe it'll be alongside the currently existing consoles.
    Then I worry that Nintendo are filling in too much on their own space though because if this IS a third pillar, and THEN succesor to wiiU/3DS comes out? Could be confusing... again.

OR this is the succesor to both the WiiU and 3DS in one, cross platform handheld/console in one. Can play WiiU and 3DS games, as well as new games developed solely for it? Hence the unified system?

Who knows. More importantly, who cares? Doom!

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    The only thing that bothers me about this thing is the endless cavalcade of "See, Nintendo went mobile like we said they should!" squawkbox articles we're bound to see over the coming days and weeks.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I completely hate mobile games, so I won't be buying any of them. I really hope this doesn't represent a big shift of Nintendo's focus to mobile games and away from their own platforms. I can't really see that happening personally, but these are strange times we live in.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I completely hate mobile games, so I won't be buying any of them. I really hope this doesn't represent a big shift of Nintendo's focus to mobile games and away from their own platforms. I can't really see that happening personally, but these are strange times we live in.

It won't change anything. Iwata even said that their focus is still on their consoles/platforms. This mobile thing is just a side part of their business. So basically I can ignore it and keep enjoying their console/handheld games.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I actually don't mind mobile games if they are made specifically for the platform. Tower defense, card games, etc. Short, burst gameplay with intuitive touch controls.

A FPS on the other hand....blech!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Because it's not news?

Everyone already knows that Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are all currently working on their next consoles.

Sure, but Nintendo are making it official and we know that it's coming sooner rather than later (comparatively).

Yeah, I think it's news that they plan to announce something next year (at I assume e3).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think my problem with mobile games is that I don't like any of the more compatible genres except card games. I've never liked matching, puzzle, tile mover, tower defense, any of that kind of stuff. Like I have an iPad and the only game on it is Hearthstone. I'd consider a strategy game but they don't make many, usually they lack depth (StarShips sadly isn't very deep), or are available on an actual gaming platform already (ie FFT War of the Lions and StarShips).

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    There's Final Fantasy Dimensions, if you want an RPG that's nowhere else.

Or Song Summoner, for tactical RPG.

Though, Song Summoner missed a huge opportunity. Namely, why don't my song soldiers play the song I used to make them when it's their turn?

• Options
    Eh, neither of those really interested me when I saw them before. While they don't look terrible, I've got 3DS games to play instead.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So I wake up and the Internet just exploded, and Nintendo's still doomed apparently.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    If somehow Nintendo defeated M$ and Sony to the point that they were the only console left, PCs became work machines only, and a Nintendo console was the centerpiece of all entertainment in every living room on the planet the pundits would herald the end of gaming just to say that Nintendo was doomed.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Nintendo is going to make mobile games. So? Here comes more Pokemon Shuffle type shit. Big deal.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    If somehow Nintendo defeated M$ and Sony to the point that they were the only console left, PCs became work machines only, and a Nintendo console was the centerpiece of all entertainment in every living room on the planet the pundits would herald the end of gaming just to say that Nintendo was doomed.

Everyone is dead, Nintendo is deader.

• Options
    Nintendo is going to make mobile games. So? Here comes more Pokemon Shuffle type shit. Big deal.

Actually The Pokemon Company is somewhat independent from Nintendo and has been making their own mobile software for a while now.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

This was pretty much my thought. They're not going to put "real games" on it like a Mario platformer, for no other reason than that it's long since been shown that virtual touch controls are piss poor for that kind of gaming. Something like Pokemon might work... but there's not a chance in hell they'll put a mainline game on mobile when they can save that kind of gold for their handheld.

And looming over everything is the fact that people shit bricks when a mobile game dares cost more than 10 bucks.

So yeah, what you're basically left with are side games. Pokemon Shuffle, Mario is Missing, that kind of stuff. Which hey, they could be fun! I certainly get a kick out of Shuffle. But there ain't no way the next Mario/Pokemon/Zelda are going to see the light of day on a mobile.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015

Actually The Pokemon Company is somewhat independent from Nintendo and has been making their own mobile software for a while now.

Actually, The Pokemon Company is owned by Nintendo, though GameFreak is independent.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I don't think Nintendo is going to easily "be lost in the sea of mobile like everyone else". With them its not going to be like how you go onto the App Store and you see a bazillion games by a bazillion different companies and finding the few good ones is a needle in the haystack kind of thing as you sift through infinite copy cats and clones.

Nintendo characters are going to kind of instantly stand out in that crowd, because they're some of the most recognized characters in all of gaming.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Actually, The Pokemon Company is owned by Nintendo, though GameFreak is independent.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/19/does-the-pokemon-card-game-on-ios-mean-nintendo-is-making-smartphone-games-probably-not/
    While Nintendo has complete control over Pokémon video games, it doesn’t actually have full ownership of The Pokémon Company. In 1998, Nintendo formed that company in partnership with developers Game Freak and Creatures Inc. This means that Nintendo only owns 33 percent of The Pokémon Company, which is in charge of maintaining the massive brand, the television show, and — most important in this case — the card game.

“Everyone assumes The Pokémon Company equals Nintendo when it doesn’t,” Gibson told GamesBeat. “Nintendo only has a stake in one-third of it.”

• Options
    Creatures is a subsidiary of Nintendo though, isn't it? So Nintendo does control the franchise, for the most part.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So of course people are going to freak out over this since investors have begged them to do it for eons.

But here's the thing people may forget -- everyone else has been making smartphone games for quite a while now.

All the big AAA publishers have either sponsored new games or created tie-in games for their bigger properties. Yes, that includes Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft has that Smartglass thing, and Sony's put out a few -- I remember a game based on Bentley's hacking from Sly Cooper, and some kind of party thing under the banner PlayStation All-Stars (which helps explain how PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal got its stupid name).

Now, some of these games have done well -- Mass Effect Infiltrator is coming to mind. Sony's didn't really, since there was zero promotion. And nobody knows what the hell to do with Smartglass. But Nintendo has a shot. They seem to really understand smartphones are a platform with strengths and weaknesses that should be accommodated, and they won't just shoehorn existing games on there. They said as much in the announcement. And all the attention they've been getting might help.

Really, this isn't too earth-shattering -- it's just Nintendo trying something new, like Amiibos. And who knows? It could be fun.

I'm just not looking forward to "smartphone games aren't real games" for the 47,000th time, especially since we live in a world where stuff like Monument Valley and Threes showed up on a lot of game publications' year-end best-of lists.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293