As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii U] THIS THREAD IS OVER! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    If anyone had doubts about getting the mayflash gamecube adapter, I posted about it in the smash thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/32309409/#Comment_32309409

To summarize: it works just fine, no discernable lag, is under 20 bucks, and supports PC as well.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    After getting rid of my physical copy of Tropical Freeze (which had been rendered redundant thanks to Club Nintendo) I used the money to grab Hyrule Warriors. So far I really like it, but my son has labelled it boring and repetitive. I think coming from the glory days of brawlers (Final Fight, Captain Commando, Double Dragon) I find the idea of just destroying wave after wave of generic bad guys rather soothing but he can't quite get into that groove.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    After getting rid of my physical copy of Tropical Freeze (which had been rendered redundant thanks to Club Nintendo) I used the money to grab Hyrule Warriors. So far I really like it, but my son has labelled it boring and repetitive. I think coming from the glory days of brawlers (Final Fight, Captain Commando, Double Dragon) I find the idea of just destroying wave after wave of generic bad guys rather soothing but he can't quite get into that groove.

You could prioritize making the badges that increase moves. It doesn't drastically change the game play, but if I start a match with a character I haven't made the badges for, I feel stuck with the 3 or 4 default combos.

However I suspect if you don't click with Warriors right away, you never will.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, how many people are about to purchase $280 Villagers, do you think?

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Apparently there's a catch. Looks like only common Amiibo are available to pick from.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Thanks to Tropical Freeze's 'Bopopolis' level, I think I finally had an epiphany moment with the controls. I was about to give up on the game completely, refusing to believe anybody could have playtested this jump mechanic and signed off on it. Then I figured out their stupid logic. To do a high jump off an enemy, you can't press jump as you hit him like every other game, that's too late. You can't simply hold the jump button either like every other game, it just gives you the finger. You can press jump a half second before you hit the enemy, but this does not feel natural at all, and is still prone to fuck up on you.

No, what you have to do is press jump while in the air, and then hold it. And suddenly the timing goes from too damn anal to comically ridiculous. You can be a mile away from the enemy, as long as you do that you'll high bounce every time. And best of all, this mechanic is duplicated in the game. It's exactly how Cranky's cane jump works!

Bopopolis went from a level I was never going to beat because of shit controls that wouldn't listen to me, to a level that was still damn hard, but at least I wasn't dying because I didn't high bounce when I clearly hit the fucking jump button!

I still don't like these controls. They're all just half a step off, and go against years of teaching. But at least I stand an honest shot of beating it. Just to say I freakin' did it, and can delete it from the hard drive for space.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Uh...not many, considering Villager Amiibos have been long sold out.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Thanks to Tropical Freeze's 'Bopopolis' level, I think I finally had an epiphany moment with the controls. I was about to give up on the game completely, refusing to believe anybody could have playtested this jump mechanic and signed off on it. Then I figured out their stupid logic. To do a high jump off an enemy, you can't press jump as you hit him like every other game, that's too late. You can't simply hold the jump button either like every other game, it just gives you the finger. You can press jump a half second before you hit the enemy, but this does not feel natural at all, and is still prone to fuck up on you.

No, what you have to do is press jump while in the air, and then hold it. And suddenly the timing goes from too damn anal to comically ridiculous. You can be a mile away from the enemy, as long as you do that you'll high bounce every time. And best of all, this mechanic is duplicated in the game. It's exactly how Cranky's cane jump works!

Bopopolis went from a level I was never going to beat because of shit controls that wouldn't listen to me, to a level that was still damn hard, but at least I wasn't dying because I didn't high bounce when I clearly hit the fucking jump button!

I still don't like these controls. They're all just half a step off, and go against years of teaching. But at least I stand an honest shot of beating it. Just to say I freakin' did it, and can delete it from the hard drive for space.

I found both DKCR games 1000% easier once I figured this out. I still like the way the original DKC games controlled better, but I don't feel what Retro's done is bad.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Thanks to Tropical Freeze's 'Bopopolis' level, I think I finally had an epiphany moment with the controls[...]

Hmm. I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet, but I did everything in DKCR3D except Mirror Mode. I don't remember having a problem with the controls at all. Did they change?

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Its weird to see people complain about how Tropical Freeze controls, because the controls feel exactly like what I would come up with if someone tasked me with remaking the 2D Platformer genre for modern controllers. Though I haven't exactly gotten far in the game so perhaps something Is Up that I don't know about.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    I like Tropical Freeze's controls more than Returns, if only because they brought back a roll button, which doubles as a run button, same as it was on the SNES. Shake-to-roll was vexing.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I didn't like that run and roll are tied to the same thing. But it's infinitely better than shake-to-roll.

• Options
    I'm biased, of course, as run and roll being on the same button was how the SNES games worked, so I'm used to it.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I didn't like that run and roll are tied to the same thing. But it's infinitely better than shake-to-roll.

Have you tried playing with the Wii Remote & Nunchuck setup? I find the shake-to-roll feels immeasurably more natural when you do it with the Wii Remote held vertically.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    It's not having run and roll on the same button that's a problem for me, it's having pound/grab on the same button as roll. Which means if you want to pound or grab a root, you better not have your thumb on the left stick at all lest you possibly rocket forward off a cliff or something.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    They should at least give the option to split that shit up with all the unused buttons.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Have you tried playing with the Wii Remote & Nunchuck setup? I find the shake-to-roll feels immeasurably more natural when you do it with the Wii Remote held vertically.

Once the WiiU came out I kind of gave up on the Wii Remotes as I really love the WiiU Pro Controller.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    For the first time in months ri went into town to see if I could pick up a pro controller along with Hyrule Warriors and Lego Undercover. Not a thing. 3 different stores and they all had incredibly limited stock of Nintendo items.

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    I would love to find Lego city in a best buy near me. The GCU would make it a instant buy for me. But there is no affordable option currently. Its starting to get too overpriced.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    b1rdman wrote: »
    I would love to find Lego city in a best buy near me. The GCU would make it a instant buy for me. But there is no affordable option currently. Its starting to get too overpriced.

I forget, did Nintendo publish that one?

It's getting to the point on a lot of their games that they keep the print runs so small the used price gets $stupid very quickly. Just like Starfox, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem and a few others on the 3DS.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    What bugs me about DKC Returns/Tropical Freeze is that it felt like they were trying to innovate more with the controls than the content itself. Well, maybe not more, but they basically overcomplicated something that was simple and worked well before for something a bit more trying. In something like Skyward Sword, it makes a certain amount of sense, as it actually changes the gameplay itself, but I don't think there's much in DKCReturns that couldn't have worked by following the original control scheme.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Yes Nintendo did publish Lego City Undercover

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    That reminds me that I need to pick up a second copy of Lego City Undercover someday. I let a friend borrow my original one to play it, and I'm probably just going to let her keep it for her Lego collection.

Anywho, a while back I downloaded a handful of tracks from the Need for Speed Most Wanted soundtrack, and every time they pop up in iTunes I have the overwhelming urge to play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xQfvPTp-BA

This just played.

Fuck, guess I'm playing some NFSMWU.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Best Buy has a number of Wii U games on sale, included Nintendoland for $8.99. Check that out if you're looking for some deals.

Watch Dogs is $19.99 ($15.99 GCU) and I'm rather tempted to pick it up, but it doesn't seem to be available for pickup at any local stores...even though I could have sworn I saw it recently at those stores.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Consider that a bullet dodged. Watch Dogs is such a mediocre game.

• Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    With Watch Dogs you're going to want to wait for that Nintendoland price.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Best Buy has a number of Wii U games on sale, included Nintendoland for $8.99. Check that out if you're looking for some deals.

Watch Dogs is $19.99 ($15.99 GCU) and I'm rather tempted to pick it up, but it doesn't seem to be available for pickup at any local stores...even though I could have sworn I saw it recently at those stores.

Link?

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

I noticed that the missions are fun and the open world is fun as long as you are mostly exploring and doing things in between/on your way to missions. But it's too much of a Ubisoft game (in the vein of AssCreed) to make it fun to just roam around for hours like in GTA.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I've been getting together with some friends every few weeks to play Mario Kart, Smash, whatever.

One of my friends has CODBLOPS2 for Wii U, he had barely played it, so he brought it over for us to try. I'm not much of a COD guy or FPS player in general, but man, I was pretty impressed with it for local play. It looks quite good and has a ridiculous amount of options. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get together for some 4 player splitscreen shenanigans. Been a long time since I had that Goldeneye sort of experience. :)

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to use the pad screen to play on with more than 2 players, in other words we couldn't do 2 player splitscreen on the TV with a third on the pad. However it honestly wasn't too big a deal, this way we all had the same size screen, all screenwatched each other, nobody had any advantage or disadvantage.

Zombies co-op is also only 2 player, but you can do splitscreen or screen+pad.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Imagine if you could link two or more game pads to the Wii U. Having your own screen for local multiplayer games would be like having a bigger gameboy.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Mblackwell wrote: »

I noticed that the missions are fun and the open world is fun as long as you are mostly exploring and doing things in between/on your way to missions. But it's too much of a Ubisoft game (in the vein of AssCreed) to make it fun to just roam around for hours like in GTA.

With as much as I loathed Assassin's Creed, maybe I should indeed just pass on the game...hmm.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

With as much as I loathed Assassin's Creed, maybe I should indeed just pass on the game...hmm.

To be fair, aren't you the guy that judged the entire AC series by AC3? You might not even hate Assassins' Creed and not know it.

• Options
    So Pikmin 3 is pretty dang fun. :)

• Options

To be fair, aren't you the guy that judged the entire AC series by AC3? You might not even hate Assassins' Creed and not know it.

Well, I've played three of them: Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, and Assassin's Creed 3.

None of them particularly grabbed me, and Assassin's Creed 3 in particular was a exercise in mediocrity.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options

Well, I've played three of them: Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines, and Assassin's Creed 3.

None of them particularly grabbed me, and Assassin's Creed 3 in particular was a exercise in mediocrity.

I'm not saying you should waste more time on the series, but I'm still impressed if you managed to randomly select the absolute worst the franchise has to offer.

It'd be like having your only exposure to Mega Man being X7 and Network Transmission.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

I've only played some of AssCreed 1, all of AssCreed 2 and some of AssBro. 2 is a zillion times better than 1. Bro is more of the same that is 2.

From what I understand, the best of the Assassin's Creed games are the trilogy that surrounds Ezio (2, Bro and Rev) and Black Flag.

• Options

I'm not saying you should waste more time on the series, but I'm still impressed if you managed to randomly select the absolute worst the franchise has to offer.

It'd be like having your only exposure to Mega Man being X7 and Network Transmission.

Worse than the DS games?

• Options
    I forgot the DS games existed. The AC series doesn't have a very good crap:quality ratio so far. I just thought it was funny that he managed to give the series 3 separate chances while still avoiding every good game in it.