As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Climate Change or: How I Stopped Worrying and Love Rising Sea Levels

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    If methane is burned, does it still present as much of a problem?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    1 methane and 2 O2 makes 1 CO2 and 2 water.

Do you like the pain quick, or do you like it slow?

Edit: Ecologically speaking, I believe 1 CO2 is much better than 1 Methane molecule, as life can adapt much more easily to slower changes than to fast changes in the environment.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Burning methane makes CO2 and water.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Nuke it! I see no way that that could go wrong.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Arctic ice volume:
    piomas-trnd3.png

Arctic ice extent:
    Arctic-ice-March-24-2017.png

Antarctic ice extent
    Antarctic-March-24-2017.png

Global ice extent:
    nsidc_global_extent_byyear_b.png

The smaller the extent, the more heat energy gets absorbed by the earth's water.

Absalon on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Yep water is a poor conductor of heat

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Trump has signed an executive order to reverse Obama's work on climate change.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

the specific issue at hand is that the albedo of liquid water is around .05 and snow has an one of .90. So about 18 times the amount of heat enters the system when it hits water instead of snow.

...ish. that number doesn't account for reflected light getting absorbed by greenhouse gasses or complicated angle of incident, or light that's hitting plain old ice without snow on it.

but, conduction of heat isn't really the issue.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Why do people in this thread think this is awesome?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Because some people want to watch the world burn?

• Options

I assumed it was sarcasm. "Oh awesome. Great. Just swell."

• Options

Maybe, maybe it's me, it's just so frustrating!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular

I assumed it was part of a protest demanding mods return the "Hail Hydra!" Button

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Hail hydra! Never have we needed that button so much as today.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Like 75% of my Awesomes are smiling through the pain.

• Options
    At least it isn't happening on our planet.

That's sure a relief.

*opens up Mars Street Journal

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

the specific issue at hand is that the albedo of liquid water is around .05 and snow has an one of .90. So about 18 times the amount of heat enters the system when it hits water instead of snow.

...ish. that number doesn't account for reflected light getting absorbed by greenhouse gasses or complicated angle of incident, or light that's hitting plain old ice without snow on it.

but, conduction of heat isn't really the issue.

I am more worried about the temperature spike that will occur when we have no more ice to melt.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Yesterday was a hearing of the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology entitled "Climate Science: Assumptions, Policy Implications, and the Scientific Method". It was stacked with climate change deniers, of course, and the Committee Chairman and Captain Planet villain Lamar Smith (R-TX) had some choice words (via ars technica):
    Smith went after climate scientists right in the statement he used to open the hearing, saying, "Far too often, alarmist theories on climate science originate with scientists who operate outside the principles of the scientific method." He went on to say that "all too often, scientists ignore the basic tenets of science."
    Smith objected to Mann calling [the Heartland Institute] "climate deniers," and after Mann read a description of Smith's talk at Heartland from Science magazine, Smith said, "That is not known as an accurate writer or magazine."

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yesterday was a hearing of the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology entitled "Climate Science: Assumptions, Policy Implications, and the Scientific Method". It was stacked with climate change deniers, of course, and the Committee Chairman and Captain Planet villain Lamar Smith (R-TX) had some choice words (via ars technica):
    Smith went after climate scientists right in the statement he used to open the hearing, saying, "Far too often, alarmist theories on climate science originate with scientists who operate outside the principles of the scientific method." He went on to say that "all too often, scientists ignore the basic tenets of science."
    Smith objected to Mann calling [the Heartland Institute] "climate deniers," and after Mann read a description of Smith's talk at Heartland from Science magazine, Smith said, "That is not known as an accurate writer or magazine."

Well, your screen name is certainly appropriate.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So, somewhat related, somewhat not:

In the old Cosmos series with Carl Sagan, there was a sequence where he took his ship of the imagination to other worlds, following radio transmissions, but they always stopped before he got there. IIRC (it's been years) he described it as a sort of nightmare he sometimes had, which he interpreted as him fearing that civilizations would reach a certain point and then die out. It was the 80s, so he was more worried about nuclear weapons.

And it was all set to Beethoven's 7th. It was, in fact, that sequence that reacquainted me with the 7th, which I hadn't heard since I was a child, and I found I really liked hearing it again.

The past few months, I've been thinking of that sequence again, but for different reasons than nuclear war. (Well, mostly.)

I don't enjoy listening to Beethoven's 7th anymore.

• Options

Maybe, maybe it's me, it's just so frustrating!

I was saying in the Hiberno-Brittanic politics thread recently that I wanted a hug reaction because I didn't want to awesome or agree posts but really wanted to hug the people posting them.

I'm starting to think a "HOLD ME!" :bigfrown: reaction button is more appropriate.

Although yes, :hydra: seems to be very much a theme.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I don't even know what to say about this

Energy Department climate office bans use of phrase ‘climate change’

A supervisor at the Energy Department's international climate office told staff this week not to use the phrases "climate change," "emissions reduction" or "Paris Agreement" in written memos, briefings or other written communication, sources have told POLITICO.
    Another DOE source in a different office said that although there had been no formal instructions about climate-related language in their office there was a general sense that it's better to avoid certain hot-button terms in favor of words like "jobs" and "infrastructure."

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    We will never be able to overcome this problem until we look it in the face and call it what it is, and that is Radical Climate Change.

So it seems like the overall strategy of this administration, covering up their ears and going "Can't hear you, problem doesn't exist if I don't hear about it", is still in effect.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say about this

Energy Department climate office bans use of phrase ‘climate change’

A supervisor at the Energy Department's international climate office told staff this week not to use the phrases "climate change," "emissions reduction" or "Paris Agreement" in written memos, briefings or other written communication, sources have told POLITICO.
    Another DOE source in a different office said that although there had been no formal instructions about climate-related language in their office there was a general sense that it's better to avoid certain hot-button terms in favor of words like "jobs" and "infrastructure."

Your failure to uphold the jobs will tip us over the edge of disastrous infrastructure.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Clearly we should aggressively support the growing job market of renewable energy and research into environmental conditions. Have to make sure we have Strong Trump infrastructure that can take a beating from the weather. Gotta understand the current and future conditions we will have to design around.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    "Hey Bob, what's up with this Climate Δ report?"

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm looking to find a charity to support, and since climate change is the most important issue facing us today, I was wondering: are there any reputable charities working on climate change (either prevention or mitigation) that I can donate to?

Preferably international ones; I'm not American so I don't want to donate to a purely US-based one.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    So hey, Al Gore is getting a sequel to An Inconvenient Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huX1bmfdkyA&t=5s

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Whelp, we're fucked. If the US won't lead the fight against climate change, no one will. If you live anywhere near the coast, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE ASAP.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Whelp, we're fucked. If the US won't lead the fight against climate change, no one will. If you live anywhere near the coast, GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE ASAP.

Sea-level rise is probably the least-bad part of climate change. Unless you live directly on a low beach, you probably have 50-75 years before that's something that will require individual action (governments in like New York or Venice need to act sooner, obviously).

And if you do have oceanfront property, you're rich enough to not care.

a5ehren on
  • Options

Here in the EU people want to partner up with China to mitigate climate change. China is actually making big investment s in green energy, Tesla, etc

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Sea-level rise is probably the least-bad part of climate change. Unless you live directly on a low beach, you probably have 50-75 years before that's something that will require individual action (governments in like New York or Venice need to act sooner, obviously).

I was referring more to the erosion that is going to get a LOT worse around coastal areas, not a rise in sea levels. In the next few decades storms will get a lot worse and land will erode at an ever increasing rate. This will lead to most river areas turning into floodplains and most coastal cities just washing into the ocean.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    China's investments will likely have a big impact, since China is super bad.

The Biggest Loser.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Good somewhat wonky article on Trump's latest shenanigans re climate change.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-03-29/making-sense-of-trump-s-order-on-climate-change

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    China's investments will likely have a big impact, since China is super bad.

The Biggest Loser.

Honestly getting India on board is becoming more important, because China's been making some progress while India's still in full DGAF mode.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    So... About that methane problem...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Xc3LtZRWo

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/7000-methane-bubbles-beneath-siberia/
    Back in 2016, Siberia’s amusingly named Bely Island made headlines around the world after sections of its grassy landscape became somewhat bouncy.

As it turned out, the island was leaking greenhouse gases at a remarkable rate. In fact, the air escaping from the ground there contained 100 times more methane and 25 times more carbon dioxide – the two most potent greenhouse gases by far – than the surrounding atmosphere.

This time last year, just 15 of these near-surface, water-coated methane bubbles had been identified. Now, as reported by the Siberian Times, there are 7,000 of them. Considering that methane is incredibly flammable, it’s also likely that some of these bubbles will dramatically explode without much of a warning.

In sum, this, ladies and gentlemen, is not good.
    I watched that video again, because it is interesting. I just noticed the guy had a rifle. Is he hunting on a a methane bounce house?

I'm not sure I'd feel totally comfortable shooting a rifle where a flammable gas is leaking out and mixing with the air.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Nuke it! I see no way that that could go wrong.

Good thing it's in Russia, they would never dream of

oh god damnit.
    a5ehren wrote: »

What? No. I was living on the beach when I was broke as fuck. (Yes, in a building)

To say nothing of the people who don't live on the shores but do earn their living there, or drive over causeways, or live in places where storm surge is a threat.

Sea level status quo is not a "rich people" problem.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Back in 2016, Siberia’s amusingly named Bely Island made headlines around the world after sections of its grassy landscape became somewhat bouncy.

As it turned out, the island was leaking greenhouse gases at a remarkable rate. In fact, the air escaping from the ground there contained 100 times more methane and 25 times more carbon dioxide – the two most potent greenhouse gases by far – than the surrounding atmosphere.

This time last year, just 15 of these near-surface, water-coated methane bubbles had been identified. Now, as reported by the Siberian Times, there are 7,000 of them. Considering that methane is incredibly flammable, it’s also likely that some of these bubbles will dramatically explode without much of a warning.

I watched that video again, because it is interesting. I just noticed the guy had a rifle. Is he hunting on a a methane bounce house?

I'm not sure I'd feel totally comfortable shooting a rifle where a flammable gas is leaking out and mixing with the air.

Siberia has lots of brown bears better to have your eyebrows singed off than chewed off.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Siberia has lots of brown bears better to have your eyebrows singed off than chewed off.

Is like that one of those spa services where you put your hands in a bowl of water and fish nibble your dead skin off?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

Is like that one of those spa services where you put your hands in a bowl of water and fish nibble your dead skin off?

Exactly like that, except you get a honey facial first.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
This discussion has been closed.