As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Zombie: Back Tonight? Sure Final Season?

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Veronica Mars season 1 semi-spoiler
    It amuses me that the end of the episode was basically the end of VMars season 1, but reversed. The unhinged killer is driving alone on an abandoned road in the dark woods at night when the tiny blonde girl scares him and causes a crash. Then, she's about to kill him when help arrives and stops her.

I wonder if it was deliberate. Anyway, I like the show a lot.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Part of me wonders if Mortician dude's days are numbers for the sake of a shocking death and a "shit just got real" episode.

No reason in particular, I just get that vibe from him. Maybe because he's so chipper and trying to give her hope, and this series is probably going to get really dark down the road.

I'm expecting him to turn over his research on Liv to the CDC and/or attempt to publish it in a journal at some point. He doesn't truly have her interests at heart, I suspect. He can't die before then.

Didn't they kinda resolve that in this episode? She assumed he was taking samples of her for exactly that kind of medical research/journal stuff until he let it slip that he was trying to find a cure.

I don't think it fit's his personality and the dialogue they already had about why they were doing the tests.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah it seemed like Ravi is trying to cure her as an extension of his previous CDC work, not out of any desire to publish a paper. He like her was banished to the morgue and he wants to still help the living, well sort of living anyway.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah it seemed like Ravi is trying to cure her as an extension of his previous CDC work, not out of any desire to publish a paper. He like her was banished to the morgue and he wants to still help the living, well sort of living anyway.

she isn't dead she's undead

also she sill has a heart beat!

technically!

Arch,
  • Options
    It does raise the question though if she can die die aside from a head shot? And if Ravi does cure her will previous injuries catch up to her Wolverine style and she'd die if not a zombie.

Also when the hell was this show shooting that they managed to get a Dying light cameo in there when that game came out in january!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    It does raise the question though if she can die die aside from a head shot? And if Ravi does cure her will previous injuries catch up to her Wolverine style and she'd die if not a zombie.

Also when the hell was this show shooting that they managed to get a Dying light cameo in there when that game came out in january!

Answer: blue screen and they had planned on a different game but were able to insert whatever they wanted?

Also I think he's doing his work since his suspicions were basically confirmed, he feels it's urgent to learn as much as he can before things get worse, in case he can help. I give it less than the remainder of this season before
    something supernatural shows up and is just like "oh no, shes a revenant, thats a thing that exists. that murder party was an occasional fluke that occurred. We /handle/ those so people never find out."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So how long until Liv needs a medical exam and she needs to do the Ghost Dad trick to fake her heart rate?

Also, I wonder how Liv realized she was a zombie and not just going through a psychological breakdown.

• Options
    My guess is that the craving for human brains was a pretty big clue she was living with Post-Traumatic Death Disorder. The show seems okay with flashbacks, though, so maybe we'll see it.

• Options
    Well she was a surgeon on the up and up, I'm sure she went down the list of medical problems she had before she arrived at "zombie".

Also I don't think the show is going for supernatural hullaballoo even if the comic went there, they look to be going for corporate spooky drug angle.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    The issue is we didn't get long enough of her pre zombie and post zombie in terms of her interaction with her family since we went right into sleuthing. So we might be looking at a gigantic personality shift that her family might be aware of but we (as viewers) haven't been shone. As such it comes off to the viewers like the family is upset she dyed her hair and broke off the engagement as opposed to shifts that would usually be indicative of more regular problems than joining zombie nation. I think this is a flaw in the writing that could be corrected going forward but right now, Mom especially is coming off very poorly.

• Options
    Well it was a pilot. Pilots are always the worst episode because they are not really meant for us the tv going nation but the executives. So pilots will be basically the show in condensed form a lot of the time, if the show maintains problems from the pilot thats bad, if it corrects them then you can pawn it off on just pilot issues.

We'll have to see with I Zombie if its one or the other.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Except the Veronica Mars pilot, which is one of the 5 or so best episodes of that show.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    She went from type-A personality (you see with her taking initiative to save the patient instead of wait for the Dr.), extreme career tract at a hospital, engaged, most likely very organized and committed to her life

that to

aloof, quit job to work at a morgue, broke off engagement, doesn't sleep and has very little emotional response to anything.

I think they did a pretty decent job painting that picture while not drawing out the origin story.

Arch,
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Finally watched the pilot, it's all I wanted and more. CW did it again. They're on a roll with genre shows these days. Rose McIver is spectacular - charismatic, excellent comic timing, nails the character being smart, adorable and has to be an up and coming Whedon alumni. She's born to be on a Whedon/Mutant Enemy production. Liv is weaponized adorable personified. Loved the comic influenced format. The writing is stellar.

I like how the show explores how her new life is like being undead, what a toll it takes on herself and the people around her without getting grimdark or depressing. It feels natural. Despite not being the outgoing type A personality she was pre-zombie Liv is captivating - she isn't dull or a sad sack. She's relatable, a good person in a bad situation.

I like how they used her "powers" and her alibi for her powers to the detective were silly while not be too ridiculous since the tone isn't too serious. The mythology and world building looks to be in great hands with Rob Thomas. Who hasn't lost his touch since Veronica Mars.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Well she was a surgeon on the up and up, I'm sure she went down the list of medical problems she had before she arrived at "zombie".

Also I don't think the show is going for supernatural hullaballoo even if the comic went there, they look to be going for corporate spooky drug angle.

I don't think that this is taking much from the comic beyond the very basic premise and character design.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Finally got around to watching this. Somewhere around "Dirty Debbie Harry" it clicked for me and now I need more.

And yeah
    the end of that episode I was thinking "wait, are we just redoing the first Veronica Mars finale?"

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    In case anyone has Hulu Plus, the second episode is already posted on the website.

sig.gif
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGLYHw3hFqo

Rose McIver has a thick NZ accent, she hides it flawessly.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGLYHw3hFqo

Rose McIver has a thick NZ accent, she hides it flawessly.

yeah she did a p good American accent for Power Rangers too

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i hadnt noticed his 70s clothing but its a cool choice

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I just thought he was a hipster.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Wow, it's been a very long time since I saw a show or movie and thought "wow she is simply just hot." Tonight, she is all sorts of the right hot looking. Do I have a thing for zombies?

• Options
    useless4 wrote: »
    Wow, it's been a very long time since I saw a show or movie and thought "wow she is simply just hot." Tonight, she is all sorts of the right hot looking. Do I have a thing for zombies?

Rose McIver tends to do that to people. We'll get you a leaflet for the fan club.

• Options
    OK this current conversation is hilarious ("is it metallic?")

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    OK, now that I know she's a Kiwi, I swear McIver is actively trying to sound like Kirsten Bell, especially in the voiceovers.

EDIT: Also, it's good to see that the rule of all procedurals is followed here:
    The wife most recognizable guest star (Judy Reyes, Scrubs among other things) always did it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    this show is gr8 im enjoyin it a lot

also dat interrogation scene...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Yeah I like the awkward nature of Liv taking on the murder victims. And the overall villain is very interesting on his own, which is cool.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    i guess sexual orientation is a choice

of whose brains you eat.

• Options
    This show is real good. I especially liked OtherZombie NotSark (do we know his name?) talking about how zombies aren't totally played out and they might surprise some people.

• Options
    Greeper wrote: »

of whose brains you eat.

They've built in a rationale for their inevitable Sweeps Week Lesbian Kiss. That's some craftsmanship!

• Options
    Greeper wrote: »

of whose brains you eat.

Well it was more just heightened arousal in general she came on pretty strong to the creepster as well and her fiance.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    This show is real good. I especially liked OtherZombie NotSark (do we know his name?) talking about how zombies aren't totally played out and they might surprise some people.

It's his best role since Alias. He's a fun villain.

• Options
    What I like about him as a villain is that he's not mindless. He's manipulative, he's a conman not a super killer at least as we see him and clearly has a plan for setting himself up as the one in charge.

I also like how Liv isn't an idiot and clued in that he is bad news immediately.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    What I like about him as a villain is that he's not mindless. He's manipulative, he's a conman not a super killer at least as we see him and clearly has a plan for setting himself up as the one in charge.

I also like how Liv isn't an idiot and clued in that he is bad news immediately.

I don't entirely get what happened in that scene though - was he actually the way he said he was, or did his old gang role up and he suddenly thought "wait, I have super zombie powers!"

Also I am loving this show a lot, and the supervisor at the morgue is basically channelling every science geek's reaction to discovering something like this.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure he was lying to Liv.

Turning rich women and then selling them brains for $25K/month seems like his plan all along. Befriending Liv was just a way to get access to brains without having to "dig them up" (aka murder people for them because seriously, no one is believing that mugging story)

• Options

I don't entirely get what happened in that scene though - was he actually the way he said he was, or did his old gang role up and he suddenly thought "wait, I have super zombie powers!"

Also I am loving this show a lot, and the supervisor at the morgue is basically channelling every science geek's reaction to discovering something like this.

No he was never not a bad guy because prior to killing the two mooks he had already zombied that older lady, he was just using liv to get him brains so he could give it to his new convert. The two mooks just happened to get in the way, he didn't want to kill them, but had no problem doing so.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

No he was never not a bad guy because prior to killing the two mooks he had already zombied that older lady, he was just using liv to get him brains so he could give it to his new convert. The two mooks just happened to get in the way, he didn't want to kill them, but had no problem doing so.

He gave the mooks ample opportunity to fuck off and leave him alone.

• Options

He gave the mooks ample opportunity to fuck off and leave him alone.

Yeah but before he killed them he was like "I won't make mistakes like this when I'm in charge". He didn't feel the need to lie about his plan anymore since he realized at that point that he was killing them.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Um, I think the only reason he went looking for Liv is she was looking for him.
    Being a rising crime lord zombie, he's got to be concerned someone already has police sketches of him and looking for him when he's just getting his super villain plan rolling.
    Her having access to brains was a great way to keep tabs on her.

useless4 on