As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Thread invaded by a Deviljho. Go to new thread or get eaten.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Wow Teostra is hard.

Then I finally started to do ok and forgot about supernova and got myself murderized for third cart. Yikes.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Wow Teostra is hard.

Then I finally started to do ok and forgot about supernova and got myself murderized for third cart. Yikes.
    He's a lot easier if you slot Biology jewels and get 10 points in Biology. Although this requires Volvidon Carapaces (trade-in for Lagombi parts) and HR Brachy parts, it prevents Blastblight and thus a lot of Teostra's damage against you. Makes you take minimal damage from the little fart clouds, too.

The main thing about Teostra is that he pounces fast (so when dodging, run perpendicular to his vector to avoid him) and that he is compelled to blow up his fart clouds after creating them, which often gives you an opening. He often does a claw swipe > create cloud > snap teeth to ignite. After the claw swipe, you can approach from an angle at his flank that isn't in the cloud to get a couple hits in. This is an ideal time for an Insect Glaive to pole vault or a hammer/hunting horn superpound. Same thing with his tail swipes, which has an even longer window.

The sparkles around him when he's doing the ring explosion indicate how wide of a circle he's going to blow up. Red sparkles = Close, so don't be in melee range. Orange or Yellow sparkles means Mid and Far respectively, so get REALLY close or REALLY far away (choose one). Poison will stop his Flame Aura health drain effect, as will breaking his horns.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Brody wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm working on building a bow set that doesn't have -15 fire. Although I still only carted once on that run, the other guy managed the other two.
    High Rank Kut Ku gunner armor? It has 30 points of Fire Res, Attack +15 (Attack Up (M)) and +5 Stamina, with enough slots to slot in 5 more points so you can have the Marathon Runner skill.

Kushala's set. Focus and a metric ton of slots. Only -5 fire. (but incredibly bad thunder and dragon)

But farming Kushala is more annoying than Gravios anyway!

Not really? I mean, as long as someone brings a decent poison weapon. Kushala's one of the least annoying of the old monsters. As long as you have poison.

And it's not terrible without.

I find I really want earplugs. Because when that jerk's enraged it's just roar time all the time. My life against enraged Daora is usually to the tune of attack twice - roar - once the roar stun fades I get pushed back by the wind - by the time I get up Daora is on the other side of the screen - get close again - go to step 1. After a point I just want to hit the damned thing.

I really need to make myself an armor with earplugs at some point.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm working on building a bow set that doesn't have -15 fire. Although I still only carted once on that run, the other guy managed the other two.
    High Rank Kut Ku gunner armor? It has 30 points of Fire Res, Attack +15 (Attack Up (M)) and +5 Stamina, with enough slots to slot in 5 more points so you can have the Marathon Runner skill.

Kushala's set. Focus and a metric ton of slots. Only -5 fire. (but incredibly bad thunder and dragon)

But farming Kushala is more annoying than Gravios anyway!

Not really? I mean, as long as someone brings a decent poison weapon. Kushala's one of the least annoying of the old monsters. As long as you have poison.

And it's not terrible without.

I find I really want earplugs. Because when that jerk's enraged it's just roar time all the time. My life against enraged Daora is usually to the tune of attack twice - roar - once the roar stun fades I get pushed back by the wind - by the time I get up Daora is on the other side of the screen - get close again - go to step 1. After a point I just want to hit the damned thing.

I really need to make myself an armor with earplugs at some point.

<3 Naja X. Also not as ugly as the lower models.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Wow Teostra is hard.

He's a lot easier if you slot Biology jewels and get 10 points in Biology. Although this requires Volvidon Carapaces (trade-in for Lagombi parts) and HR Brachy parts, it prevents Blastblight and thus a lot of Teostra's damage against you. Makes you take minimal damage from the little fart clouds, too.

The main thing about Teostra is that he pounces fast (so when dodging, run perpendicular to his vector to avoid him) and that he is compelled to blow up his fart clouds after creating them, which often gives you an opening. He often does a claw swipe > create cloud > snap teeth to ignite. After the claw swipe, you can approach from an angle at his flank that isn't in the cloud to get a couple hits in. This is an ideal time for an Insect Glaive to pole vault or a hammer/hunting horn superpound. Same thing with his tail swipes, which has an even longer window.

The sparkles around him when he's doing the ring explosion indicate how wide of a circle he's going to blow up. Red sparkles = Close, so don't be in melee range. Orange or Yellow sparkles means Mid and Far respectively, so get REALLY close or REALLY far away (choose one). Poison will stop his Flame Aura health drain effect, as will breaking his horns.

As an added trick, in rage mode he has a couple of attacks where he'll spread the powder either behind or in front of him, the direction indicated by a fairly subtle visual effect. The resulting explosion is pretty high damage, but it's worth noting that the radius only hits half his body; so if he spreads behind him you can get some solid hits on his head, and his hind legs are safe if he spreads in front of him.

• Options
    Wow Teostra is hard.

Already have Biology, I'd just get clipped by fire attacks over and over without being even close to them.

Then I gave Akantor or whatever his name is a shot and maybe I am done with Monster Hunter. Elder Dragons are terrible :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Ha! Bad Hair Rajang down and my first Rajang capture to boot. Fuck that stupid monkey.

• Options
    Wow Teostra is hard.

Already have Biology, I'd just get clipped by fire attacks over and over without being even close to them.

Then I gave Akantor or whatever his name is a shot and maybe I am done with Monster Hunter. Elder Dragons are terrible :/
    Erm, are you still running with a Gore mix with terrible fire resists? That may be a problem. It could be time for a new armor set, regardless. There are a lot of good candidates for armor sets at HR 6-7 (like Rath Soul or Garuga) with fire resistance, depending on what armor skills you are going for. I was using Tetsucabra S for all of High Rank, but I eventually swapped into EX Rathian and an Akantor mix set at the end of HR 7.

Akantor deals Dragon damage with his breath weapon, but his most deadly thing at-level is the Defense Down debuff, which can be countered by bringing Adamant Seeds and eating those when you are letting off that steam. Also, at that point, you might want to do those quests in multiplayer.

Some Elder Dragons have a Repel mechanic, where if you deal more than half their health in damage, they will leave near the end of the timer and it still counts as a "win" for you. I don't think they are really meant to be killed solo without superior gear. So play conservatively, get some hits in, and don't be greedy. More likely than not, you'll win anyway as long as you don't triple cart.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Wow Teostra is hard.

Erm, are you still running with a Gore mix with terrible fire resists? That may be a problem. It could be time for a new armor set, regardless. There are a lot of good candidates for armor sets at HR 6-7 (like Rath Soul or Garuga) with fire resistance, depending on what armor skills you are going for. I was using Tetsucabra S for all of High Rank, but I eventually swapped into EX Rathian and an Akantor mix set at the end of HR 7.

Akantor deals Dragon damage with his breath weapon, but his most deadly thing at-level is the Defense Down debuff, which can be countered by bringing Adamant Seeds and eating those when you are letting off that steam. Also, at that point, you might want to do those quests in multiplayer.

Some Elder Dragons have a Repel mechanic, where if you deal more than half their health in damage, they will leave near the end of the timer and it still counts as a "win" for you. I don't think they are really meant to be killed solo without superior gear. So play conservatively, get some hits in, and don't be greedy. More likely than not, you'll win anyway as long as you don't triple cart.

Shrug, I died to getting comboed off attacks from Akantor 3 times, he didn't even cast his breath. Or if he did I didn't notice it since he's too big to even see properly as SnS. And per fire resist, I don't think it'd really help. -17 FR is not the end of the universe, Teostra just hits me over and over with fire crap that has questionable hitboxes at best. If I had +17 FR I'd just die 3 minutes later.

I don't really like multiplayer, it runs at like 15 FPS and is spammy as all fuck.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    My suggestion is just get yourself a Dragon Attack+ armor, a dragon bow, and shoot at it until the timer runs out of seconds or it runs out of HP. Akantor is basically harmless for a bowman.

• Options

There are most certainly Akantor and Teostra fights that are meant for solo, since they're Caravan quests. All of the elder dragons have Caravan missions except Uklanos, both Dalamadurs, and the Fatalis variants (regular Fatalis is the end point of the egg delivery chain).

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Vyolynce wrote: »

There are most certainly Akantor and Teostra fights that are meant for solo, since they're Caravan quests. All of the elder dragons have Caravan missions except Uklanos, both Dalamadurs, and the Fatalis variants (regular Fatalis is the end point of the egg delivery chain).
    Yeah, but he's talking about the Gathering Hall HR 7 stuff.

Also, that's Crimson Fatalis at the end of the Egg Carrying missions. Regular Fatalis is in the Gathering Hall, HR 7, I think.

Does Gogmazios count as an Elder? I think he does.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Yeah, but he's talking about the Gathering Hall HR 7 stuff.

My bad, must've missed that part of the discussion.

Also, that's Crimson Fatalis at the end of the Egg Carrying missions. Regular Fatalis is in the Gathering Hall, HR 7, I think.

Does Gogmazios count as an Elder? I think he does.

Gog probably does but I don't have access to him (or his Hunter's Notes info) so I overlooked him. :P

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Hi, new to the forums, asking a newb-ish monster hunter question (a long overdue question, given i'm at about 80 hours into this game and staring down Seregios, about 150 each in Tri and Tri U), but...

how do you beep? Bugs the heck out of me, especially in this game that you can't freely text-chat in quests, so i can't just tell people the monster is in the room with me.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hit start and then, uh, X, I think. One of the face buttons anyway.
    It also calls your cats to you if you have them on a quest.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I just put a signal button on the touchscreen. Once you get some experience, all of those item commands are going to be useless anyway, so replace those.

jothki on
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    I just put a signal button on the touchscreen.

All hail the touchscreen.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Wow Teostra is hard.

Shrug, I died to getting comboed off attacks from Akantor 3 times, he didn't even cast his breath. Or if he did I didn't notice it since he's too big to even see properly as SnS. And per fire resist, I don't think it'd really help. -17 FR is not the end of the universe, Teostra just hits me over and over with fire crap that has questionable hitboxes at best. If I had +17 FR I'd just die 3 minutes later.

I don't really like multiplayer, it runs at like 15 FPS and is spammy as all fuck.

-17 is a big deal. I like gemming in resists and eating for an element so I'm at like +28 a lot. Which means in comparison to your -17, you're taking 62.5% more damage than I would on fire attacks. Resists are one of the things that actually get you increasing marginal utility. (Theoretically, if numbers actually went that high, going from 98 to 99 halves your damage and going to 100 makes you immune)

I tend to gear very defensively because unless you're running out of time, it's the carts that fail you the quest.

While Elder dragons in gathering halls are doable solo I generally dislike it because they're often damage sponges so it's just tedious (looking at you Gog)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    Wow Teostra is hard.

-17 is a big deal. I like gemming in resists and eating for an element so I'm at like +28 a lot. Which means in comparison to your -17, you're taking 62.5% more damage than I would on fire attacks.

I tend to gear very defensively because unless you're running out of time, it's the carts that fail you the quest.

Also, healing tends to eat a lot of time, lead to more hits, etc. and you would have been better off if you hadn't gotten (so) hurt in the first place. Not healing = MORE DAMAGE.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    I just put a signal button on the touchscreen. Once you get some experience, all of those item commands are going to be useless anyway, so replace those.
    You have to put the item bar on the touchscreen to get it off the top screen, though.

• Options
    Cromarty wrote: »
    You have to put the item bar on the touchscreen to get it off the top screen, though.

The item bar on the touchscreen doesn't do ammo though, does it?

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular

What, the quick items and combine list are the most useful touchscreen options. Having instant access to dust of life or mega potions or whatever without having to scroll through everything is a million times more useful than saving a button press the 1-2 times a quest you might need to ping.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Ok. I've missed you Monster Hunter.

Hr5 get but I am willing to help anyone else with it.

I also found I do not hate the CB. I gave it a 5th shot as I tend to read evaluate all my weapon likes and dislikes from time to time. CB is definitely in the like catagory now.

I played with some meats pace friends but I will add people to friends lists and do all that maintainace soon.

Then a PA hunt is in order, @TimFiji

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »

The item bar on the touchscreen doesn't do ammo though, does it?
    It doesn't. I don't remember for sure, since I've only used guns in training missions so far, but I think your current ammo/coating stays on the top screen unless you also put those on the touchscreen.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Finally cleared the HR Khezu quest, I got carted in the first 5 minutes because he double dashed me without me giving the chance to do anything. And then again because of cheap elec blasts.

And made myself a Tetsucabra S armor, that Hunthalon quest was some easy farming. It might not be the best defense but that extra health sure is sweet.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    There is an Ammo bar for the touchscreen. I tend to put it down there when ever I am going ranged.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    There is an Ammo bar for the touchscreen. I tend to put it down there when ever I am going ranged.

Of note: now you can register up to three panel schemes. You can't name them, sadly.

• Options

Of note: now you can register up to three panel schemes. You can't name them, sadly.

I did not know this. That is pretty great.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I know the general consensus is that you're supposed to not use Evade and guard point through attacks with the CB but last night I ran with evade +3 for the fun of it and that blade side step is right up there with the lance evade in terms of "dodge through crap" power. I can see it being very efficient though I will drop down to evade +2 in the long term because +3 is a bit much points investment and I don't really need it.

I get guard points but I just don't see the point of specifically going for them at all times all the time just for a free guard. They only really ramp up in efficiency when you have energy stored in the shield. It's a neat trick but I feel it's more of a trick and I far more enjoy the weapon when I am using it like a SnS with a big hit mode and the ability to power up the block if I want it.

Edit: I am willing to accept I am wrong about this and just need to use it more to understand it. this weapon has been like that for me anyway because before last night I despised it.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

My touchscreen could certainly use a refresher. I've been too lazy to alter it, so still have the nigh-useless (in G-rank) ration and first-aid-med bars there.

Despite being a series veteran, i liked the "noob" option they had for the touchscreen better. Having the map down instead of up removes clutter.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I hate the map on the touchscreen. I'd rather have it on the top.

Mine looks like this:
    Top row: Left - Target Lock Right-Signal
    Middle Row: Left- Combine Right- Kick
    Bottom Row - 4 Quick item slots - Mega potions, Whetstones, Mosswine Jerky, Lifepowder.

I might remove Whetstones and put in the super steam bomb.

Edit: and it's weird. I still use the old left trigger select for most items, even the ones on the quick bar but if I have a flash or something set up being able to hit a lifepowder quickly is worth it's own weight in gold.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I know the general consensus is that you're supposed to not use Evade and guard point through attacks with the CB but last night I ran with evade +3 for the fun of it and that blade side step is right up there with the lance evade in terms of "dodge through crap" power. I can see it being very efficient though I will drop down to evade +2 in the long term because +3 is a bit much points investment and I don't really need it.

I get guard points but I just don't see the point of specifically going for them at all times all the time just for a free guard. They only really ramp up in efficiency when you have energy stored in the shield. It's a neat trick but I feel it's more of a trick and I far more enjoy the weapon when I am using it like a SnS with a big hit mode and the ability to power up the block if I want it.

Edit: I am willing to accept I am wrong about this and just need to use it more to understand it. this weapon has been like that for me anyway because before last night I despised it.

Arguably your shield should almost always be in a charged state. Better blocks, and free explosions on shield thrust and GP, better axe damage.

But CB is one of the most versatile weapons for skilling IMO. Gaijinhunter also used to switch between evade/guard skills though he's more recently started to switch to much more offensive skills on his endgame armor (honed blade, razor sharp, challenger+2, and one more of either element up, bombardier, or bio researcher)

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Dracil wrote: »

Arguably your shield should almost always be in a charged state. Better blocks, and free explosions on shield thrust and GP, better axe damage.

But CB is one of the most versatile weapons for skilling IMO. Gaijinhunter also used to switch between evade/guard skills though he's more recently started to switch to much more offensive skills on his endgame armor (honed blade, razor sharp, challenger+2, and one more of either element up, bombardier, or bio researcher)

True and it's not hard to get there. I am just not in a place where my flow get's that in yet.

We'll see what happens but I can say that I have always been a big proponent of carrying at least one defense skill and then the rest offence because it's a damage increase anytime you can create openings and guard/evade will do that. Once I get the hang of charging the shield/guard pointing I might drop evade for Guard +1 simply to cut some knock back out. Even with Red shield Guard +1 with lance level blocking is pretty damn great and I spent a lot of my mh3u lancing career with Guard +1 and Honed Blade.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Dangit game give me elder dragon bones already.

Well, on the plus side, at this rate I'm going to end up learning how to make Teo and Daora not a pain in the behind.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Shout out to @Asharaxx who just randomly jumped into my open gathering hall last night and helped me smack Black Gravios for some HR increase and hit S. Zinogre for parts. Thanks buddy!

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Finally upgrade my guild card background, 300 hours in

those precious cosmic tickets will be mine!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Wow Teostra is hard.

I haven't gotten around to playing MP yet and now you have me concerned. Is the frame rate that bad? I have an old 3ds.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I have a 3ds xl and have never really noticed any frame rate drops in MP aside from when a new monster spawns

and that is hella useful knowledge so i almost see it as a plus

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I started on the new one so can't say, but my friends with old 3DSes don't complain.

Ok, this is sort of meta and sorry for using you as an example @Knight_ but I think this is actually kinda neat and probably describes a lot of our own experiences with the game/series.
    (March 13)
    Ugh, you know what. Fuck it, this game just isn't for me anymore. I don't have the time to get carted by bullshit over and over again from pink rathian because god forbid i dare attack the monster with a short ranged weapon. And then every 45 seconds she switches zones because fuck you.

(April 20)

I think it's actually why this game is so great. We hit a wall, think it's all bullshit, and then we learn how to deal with it, get better, and move on to the next wall.

Dracil on
  • Options
    My way to counter Pinky was just to never fight her again. Same strategy for Steve. :p

It's worked out ok. I'm giving gunning a shot probably next weekend after farming some stuff up since people said it was a good counter to akantor or whatever, if not I just don't think I can progress any further. I tend to agree with you through the lower ranks but stuff has gotten silly as I approach the end of HR.

re frame rate drops, I'm not having drops on my old xl in multiplayer, just a consistently terrible framerate. when I went back to playing by myself after getting HR6 done online because I didn't feel like dealing with it solo, it was like playing a different game.

I usually sit at something that feels around 15-20 fps in multi, and 30-40 in single. It's certainly playable, but it's rough.

aeNqQM9.jpg