As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Thread invaded by a Deviljho. Go to new thread or get eaten.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Plessy got done dirty in 4U. Going from being one of the more annoying to fight monsters in the series to getting fished up by mascots.

Also people really underestimate how powerful S+S is now, forget about them getting massive buffs they can put on at any time without fear...because they literally can already do that!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    SnS is a high skill ceiling weapon with a low floor. A lot of it's power is in being able to evade at any point in a combo chain and in item use while unsheathed.

This just takes the item use thing and turns it up to 11 and I love that.

Maybe try the caravan 1 training for each weapon? Cycle through them once and see if you get a hankering for any of them.

You might end up wanting to do one you're not expecting.

Yeah, I have.

So far I like Long Sword, SnS and dual blades. Charge Blade and IG are fun too but eh... my friend plays charge blade and for some reason I just kinda find IG less fun when I play it. Feels like it takes alot of the effort out the game and replaces it with 'grab buffs, use worlds easiest attack chain to DPS and mount for freebies'.

I think I'd like to play SnS but the whole item dependance thing means more gathering tours which are just the worst.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Eventually you get your economic engine going where it's really easy to always have items to use. if you want to make it easier you can also get Mushromancer and have a really easy way to buff up.

I mean the item use thing is great and you can really build around it but I tend to put secondary priority on it and abuse the hell out of being able to evade any ol' time I want.

It's such a good weapon.

Edit: I guess the point is the item use thing is nice but it doesn't have to be the only feature of the weapon. When you hit X+A and you get the power dash? Super Armor. If you X+A into a ledge? Jumping attack upwards or downwards depending on approach. If you are attacking you can evade back and go either into an lunge or do a charge for huge motion values.

Be like water, friend.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Like, SnS having a .5 motion value attack that it can basically spam is NUTS. Being an evasive attack? Well, that's par for the course. (Actually spamming it would be bad, because full combos do a lot more damage)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Also you never need earplugs because you can just block roars easy peasy.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    sns doesn't have any 50 motion value attacks afaik? most powerful sns hit is the charge on backdash, which is somewhere in the 30s.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Huh, so it is. What's the motion value on the shield bash part of it?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The charged slash on the Charge Blade has a motion value of 30%+20% (first and second hit), which may be part of the confusion (totally awesome, by the way... hits like a greatsword). Shield Bash (the final hit) is 16%.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I feel like the design of Charge Blade is the primary reason why they are doing what they did with Cross. CB is a super flashy, does crazy impact damage, has some new mechanics and just oozes style. Cross is the hey, let's make everything else on that level.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The charged slash on the Charge Blade has a motion value of 30%+20% (first and second hit), which may be part of the confusion (totally awesome, by the way... hits like a greatsword). Shield Bash (the final hit) is 16%.

Now you're confusing me.

The SnS's charged backstep attack has the jumping slash, but it also opens with a shield bash, and I don't know the value of that.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Now you're confusing me.

The SnS's charged backstep attack has the jumping slash, but it also opens with a shield bash, and I don't know the value of that.
    Initial shield hits are either 8% or 10% depending on where it is in the combo. Not very big.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    saw 3 guys in white fata armour yesterday, including a guy with a +1k fire fata GS. some haxx or all the haxx?

• Options
    I got enough Strong Armor Spheres last night that I no longer am pitifully embarrassed to wear my new armor online.

Sometime this weekend I'm going to put up a general PA hunting room. No real goals other than whatever anyone wants to hunt.

• Options
    So, if I wanted to do sleep bombing nonsense am I correct that something like the Nerscylla sword line plus Conga Mail U would probably be the best set up I can get going into high rank?

Which I think can still squeeze speed sharpening onto as a set.

So would be Bloodscale Sword with Bomb Boost, Speed Sharpen and Potential 1.

Which seems fine, probably need to get a good spot to farm gunpowder too if I want to do that.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    That's a solid set up for sleep bombing where you're at.

The Plesioth SnS will outperform the Nerscylla line in raw and sleep but I would say that the Nerscylla line is better for soloing because of the sharpness bar. (and not just soloing it's better at that level aross the board. The Plesioth only really pulls away from it late game when you can use sharp +1 to pull it into purple. A state it can only get into in it's last upgrade.)

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Also to give me some farming variety I've being trying to figure out a bow set to grab.

Which is far more complicated than sword bombing in terms of picking what I'd like. Gyperos seems the fastest way to get a stamina related perk but in terms of bow selection and a whole bunch of stuff I'm not sure. Might just finish off that Khezu set I was working on.

• Options
    Also to give me some farming variety I've being trying to figure out a bow set to grab.

Which is far more complicated than sword bombing in terms of picking what I'd like. Gyperos seems the fastest way to get a stamina related perk but in terms of bow selection and a whole bunch of stuff I'm not sure. Might just finish off that Khezu set I was working on.

Lagi armor is basically the best HR choice.
    Kirin is nice for elemental bows, and you can easily swap heads for blademaster to get enough defense for G rank. Also, blightproof is kind of good.

You can also pick a shot type to focus on and build a shot up set for significant raw boosts.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    #HowDoYouHunt contest deadline extended by a week due to alarming number of last-day entries and requests for more time.

Apparently a little over 30,000 minutes to produce a 60-second video wasn't sufficient.

• Options
    Played around with my sets last night and I got a Edgemaster, Challenger+2, Evade+1 set out of my gear as well.

Subbing in Challenger+2 for Razor Sharp should really increase the damage but we'll see how annoying keeping my SnS's sharp is.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I just put up a room in case anyone's looking to hunt.

Edit: closing it down due to no one being around.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    manji wrote: »
    saw 3 guys in white fata armour yesterday, including a guy with a +1k fire fata GS. some haxx or all the haxx?
    Depends on what's out DLC wise as you need G rank parts for the armor and weapons. I know WFat is DLC but can't remember if GR RFat is or not.

This is that GS, and it's totally legit like WFat armor.

Even if you ignore the Game Genie-like PowerSaves device to add DLC stuff, and truly hacked stuff like custom weapons and custom charms, with how advanced custom quest editing is whatever item you want in the game can be yours trivially easy now so you'll see a lot of situations like that before all the DLC is released.

And that's assuming they waited this long to get it. Japanese DLC was available for a long time, and still is I'm pretty sure, to be played on other region devices. So you had people running around with those items in particular very early on.

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Finally got around to buying MH4U today, and I can't put it down. I took down the Great Jagi, and it felt great, but I have a feeling that was the tip of the iceberg on this game. I've been using the sword and shield combo, but I may switch to the dual blade weapons. Any other weapon setup recommended for a series beginner?

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Finally got around to buying MH4U today, and I can't put it down. I took down the Great Jagi, and it felt great, but I have a feeling that was the tip of the iceberg on this game. I've been using the sword and shield combo, but I may switch to the dual blade weapons. Any other weapon setup recommended for a series beginner?
    Run through all the weapon tests at least once to see what you like. Some weapons, like gun lance, make more since the more time you put into the game due to button presses, but nothing is so unwieldy you can't take to it pretty quick. You're better off finding a weapon or two you enjoy playing now to learn the game mechanics than anything else at the moment.

Great sword or sword and shield are arguably the easiest weapons to learn on, sort of the Ryu and Ken of the series where they're super straight forward to learn overall mechanics before branching out. But when you get down to it every weapon has some quirk or negative someone doesn't like and will tell you why it is or isn't a good "beginner" weapon, so like I said above, find a few you like in the tests. Even starting out there's a stronger chance than not you'll love a weapon but find a fight or two you don't want to use that weapon on anyway, so having some other options even while learning pays off.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I would say try to maintain a familiarity with a couple of different weapons if you can, great sword is well regarded and is pretty easy to get competent with

I personally really enjoy the bug stick, that one's a bit tougher to get down at first because figuring out how to manage the bug is essential to it not sucking, on the upside you learn how to evade pretty quickly and there's nothing quite like being able to jump up and smack a monster right in its stupid face

whichever weapon interests you, I would suggest watching gaijinhunter's tutorial video on it, the link is in the OP

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    imo, IG is rough until you can get some real upgrades for it. damn bug is so slowwwww

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my god fuck the Cephadrome.

That is soaring straight into pole position for least fun fight in the game so far.

• Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    I had a feeling I should have done those weapon tutorials, I'll have to check them out after work. I made a long sword yesterday, just to try it out, and it wasn't really good for my play style I guess. It did really great combos but you have to be exact with where you aim which wasn't great vs. quick Jaggi.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    It's worth noting I quite like some of the heavier weapons but actually hate them vs the smaller monsters. Like Great sword and Long Sword are great fun vs a Zinogre but infuriating vs a G. Jaggi. So don't immediately write it off just because the Jaggi's particular traits make it not ideal. Every weapon has monsters it can kill better than others.

Oh also, the tutorial's Heavy Bow Gun sucks massive amount of ass. So don't really take it as too representative of actual gunning.

• Options
    I think Charge Blade has completely replaced Great Sword when it comes to a "beginners" weapon. While people will say its got its complexities it also does great damage before you learn that stuff.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Oh my god fuck the Cephadrome.

That is soaring straight into pole position for least fun fight in the game so far.

Cephy isn't so bad if you have experience fighting Plesioth (or, indeed, Ceph) from previous games. Although I'm someone who farmed Plesioth for fun in 3U so...

Bring Sonic Bombs if you have them and hurl one at it while it's swimming in the sand. Might not work when he's enraged, but it gets good results otherwise.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, I shoulda figured that was what the sonics were for.

Regardless the whole fight is just this irritating moment of wasting forever not actually dealing with him and then getting hit by hip checks on a body that's higher up than my entire character model. Blegh.

Currently fucking about with dual blades using the hurricanes. I actually really like them. Though I keep doing dumb shit that gets me killed on the Nerscylla hunt fest.

On the plus side, there's one monster that's always annoying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K2uZt8RJlg&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: And yeah, Charge Blade is a fantastic starting weapon. It's versitile. Easy to grasp mechanically (hit things for charge, put charge into axe, AXE ALL THE THINGS) and has alot of places you can go if you want to get more involved in it.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Are there any rooms open with some fellow PA'ers in them? I'm really sick of being stuck in G1, but I cannot seem to finish these last fights, especially Tigerstripe Zamtrios and Tidal Najarala.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I picked the game up again after a few months since X was announced and it got me back in the mood to kill some monsters, but I'm still HR7 so I don't think I'd be of much help in G rank stuff.

Would anyone be interested in helped me knock out my HR7 quests? I'm pretty sure all I had left was to kill a Kushala Daora and then do the urgent.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Matthew wrote: »
    Are there any rooms open with some fellow PA'ers in them? I'm really sick of being stuck in G1, but I cannot seem to finish these last fights, especially Tigerstripe Zamtrios and Tidal Najarala.
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I picked the game up again after a few months since X was announced and it got me back in the mood to kill some monsters, but I'm still HR7 so I don't think I'd be of much help in G rank stuff.

Would anyone be interested in helped me knock out my HR7 quests? I'm pretty sure all I had left was to kill a Kushala Daora and then do the urgent.

I can help both. We 3ds friends?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Don't think so. What's your friend code?

• Options
      edited August 2015
      Sig. Yours?

TimFiji on
      • Options
        Hmm not sure. I added everyone from the list from the game first came out but it looks like the list was reset at some point.

My friend code is 2981-5895-8156

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
      • Options
        DeMoN wrote: »
        Hmm not sure. I added everyone from the list from the game first came out but it looks like the list was reset at some point.

My friend code is 2981-5895-8156

We friends!

• Options
          Yeah cool, just saw you pop up

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
        • Options
          Mine is4656-9384-2710