As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of or relating to Eternity, with unmarked PoE1 spoilers abounding

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's fucked up.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    So glad there's no romance. Awesome.
    I'd much rather have romances than a 15-level dungeon crawl. To each their own.

Even without romances though, there's been minimal NPC interaction. At the end of the day, that's the storytelling I want in an RPG. BGII and ME2 and DA2 had memorable NPCs with good storylines, and for me it's those NPCs that make those games tick. DA:I's best moments were from Cassandra, Solas, Hawke, Iron Bull, etc, where companions and allies were given depth. Combat is OK and all, but that's not what I really want from the game.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Even without romances though, there's been minimal NPC interaction. At the end of the day, that's the storytelling I want in an RPG. BGII and ME2 and DA2 had memorable NPCs with good storylines, and for me it's those NPCs that make those games tick. DA:I's best moments were from Cassandra, Solas, Hawke, Iron Bull, etc, where companions and allies were given depth. Combat is OK and all, but that's not what I really want from the game.

I want this to have a Japanese Romance Game style expansion

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »

Yeah. Saw that. It's in the keep dungeon (not the stronghold, the other early keep), near the entrance from the temple.

Letting backers create those things was maybe the worst thing that they did.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I want this to have a Japanese Romance Game style expansion

strawman.jpg

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I am like 100 percent sure moon is serious.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    After learning that there are no romance options i'm considering just rolling with a completely custom party and leaving the actual npc party members to do stronghold stuff or come along for their personal quests. None of the ones i've met have been particularly interesting at first look, and all of them being men so far has created a party balance that irritates me.

don't. there are a lot of interjections like there were in BG2 and things get a lot more interesting once you get the next two npcs.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    How important is crafting in this game? I hear there's some crafting, but I fucking hate crafting. Am I gonna be boned if nobody can craft shit?

• Options
    I mean as far as I understand it you collect ingredients and you make a thing.

THere is no crafting skill.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I fully recognize that romance options are often handled poorly

I'm still super bummed its not a thing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I don't know if you guys are as far as I am but I like the interactions so far. a lot of it comes from segani I think, if you don't have her yet things are a lot quieter because she is always talking with everyone.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dubh wrote: »

Yeah. Saw that. It's in the keep dungeon (not the stronghold, the other early keep), near the entrance from the temple.

Letting backers create those things was maybe the worst thing that they did.
    It says more about what Obsidian considers acceptable. I doubt they would have let something racist or homophobic get through, backer or no.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I love me some BG and am definitely gonna buy this.

I always multiclassed as a fighter/mage. Loved using medium/heavy armor and mage defensive spells to be nigh unkillable. Also, it was comforting to know I could use fun spells AND the cools swords and weapons I found.

Can I do that in this game? Be a non-cloth armor wearing, sword wielding dude who also casts spells?

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I have a feeling the "joke" is going to get fixed.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    sort of. there's no dual classing which is disappointing but classes are a lot more flexible and stats are a lot less binary

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

I always multiclassed as a fighter/mage. Loved using medium/heavy armor and mage defensive spells to be nigh unkillable. Also, it was comforting to know I could use fun spells AND the cools swords and weapons I found.

Can I do that in this game? Be a non-cloth armor wearing, sword wielding dude who also casts spells?

Chanter might be your thing.

There's a fair number of Chanter builds that are based around "LOL, you can't kill me, and I'm going to summon stuff to kill you."

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I've had lots of NPC interactions. They talk to me, they talk to each other.
    Eredc asked if he could pet the hunter lady's fox and she was like "He bites so its your funeral" and responded "But he looks so cute I want to pet him!"

Then later
    She asked Eredc how his hand was and he said it was sore still, she said well I told you he bit, to which Eredc responds "If I'm not suppose to pet him then he shouldn't be so fluffy"

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I don't know if this is specific to kana, but he seems kind of meta aware? Which was really funny to me.

Right when you get him is outside the stronghold. When you walk in he has ambient dialogue like about the place. There are enemies right inside, and I wiped. Reload.

This time he says Once more into the breach! Hope this time goes better!

And I was like damn it kana I'm rusty ok

Langly on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Just... just don't look at hashtag pillars of eternity on twitter, yall. Grumblegobbler defense force out in numbers. I should have known better.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    They aren't even pretending anymore

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

There's a fair number of Chanter builds that are based around "LOL, you can't kill me, and I'm going to summon stuff to kill you."

Can I throw fireballs around while wearing metal armor and hitting things with my sword?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So if I get multiple brands of Wildstrike, does the damage stack? If I get all 4 do I get +120% damage total in different flavors of elemental damage?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Chanter is more of a bard, so you're humming a tune that helps your party/hurts the enemy while hitting things with your sword, and then every so often summoning skeletons or smacking the enemy in the face with a wall of force.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Just got to that keep and the ghosts are kind of destroying me.

How I tactics?

• Options

Can I throw fireballs around while wearing metal armor and hitting things with my sword?

Yes! Multiple ways. You can have a fighter with a high lore skill use scrolls to shoot fire, or you can put a wizard in heavy armor and wielding a sword. Instead of normal stats all damage is based on the Might Stat. this is true for melee, ranged, or magic damage. The problem being that in heavy armor, you won't be casting MANY spells because you will have a large amount of time between each action

• Options
    Langlyiscorrectre:thesincerityofmystatementaboutajapanesedatinggametoaccompanythisgame.gif

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Anyone know where I can find some god damned Golden Celery? I need it for shock damage!

• Options
    they made it so instead of "fighters want str, thieves want dex" etc that every stat is useful to everyone. like might. fighter stat right? nope, it increases all damage and healing. so everyone likes might.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

How I tactics?

My tactics were

Turn the game to easy. Acknowledge that I am relearning his sort of game.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can find some god damned Golden Celery? I need it for shock damage!

Put a celery stalk in a cup of pee.

Wait.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The convenience features of Pillars is going to make it real goddamn hard to go back to Baldur's Gate after this.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

How I tactics?

My tactics were

Bbut

I'm a pro

gamerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Options
    I turned it to normal/expert, but not having aoe markers isn't even a handicap it's just dumb and puts certain classes at a massive disadvantage.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

How I tactics?

My tactics were

Bbut

I'm a pro

gamerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Do you even Dew, bro?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    pokemon_fusion___dewbro_by_minkidoodles-d66f7r5.jpg

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The convenience features of Pillars is going to make it real goddamn hard to go back to Baldur's Gate after this.

I think that it might be the other way around for me. I really, really miss being able to set up scripts for characters. I also had a much easier time telling who I had selected at any given time in Baldur's Gate.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

I think that it might be the other way around for me. I really, really miss being able to set up scripts for characters. I also had a much easier time telling who I had selected at any given time in Baldur's Gate.

While you can't set up scripts in Pillars as far as I know, you can queue up commands and select characters by clicking on their portraits.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So if I get multiple brands of Wildstrike, does the damage stack? If I get all 4 do I get +120% damage total in different flavors of elemental damage?

I'm just going to assume "yes"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I kind of wish the hotkeys I had set up for abilities were always visible and not just when I have that character (and only that character) selected. I have an incredibly shit memory so having the visual there to glance at before I do it helps a lot.

God i'm bad at micromanaging. I don't think i'll ever end up playing this on anything but easy.