As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tanning Salon In Vancouver, WA?

TamiMVTamiMV Registered User new member
Hello everyone I'm Tami 26 years of age, sad to say i have a pale skin and 2 months from now mom told me where going to an outing/Family reunion and i need to tan before our whole relatives came, Can someone recommend me the best tanning salon here in Vancouver Washington ?

For those who will response advance thank you :D

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Tanning is horrifically bad for you. Like massively scientifically proven skin cancer by thirty bad for you:
    The IARC report cited research showing that tanning is especially hazardous to young people; those who use sunbeds before age 30 increase their lifetime risk of melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, by 75 percent. The authors also pointed to studies showing a link between UV radiation from indoor tanning devices and melanomas of the skin and eyes. Melanoma will kill an estimated 8,650 people in the US this year alone. And melanoma isn't the only problem: people who use tanning beds are 2.5 times more likely to develop squamous cell carcinoma and 1.5 times more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma. Squamous cell carcinoma kills an estimated 2,500 Americans a year.

Source: http://www.skincancer.org/news/tanning/tanning-beds-who-issues-official-warning

No one that matters is going to be impressed or care if you have bronze skin, but they will care if you end up dead from melanoma. Get a swimsuit that complements your skin tone and wait until it is sunny enough to be outside to get some rays naturally by living a healthy active lifestyle.

Edit: I thought the italics part here was implicit but since Julius thinks i'm suggesting people go oil up and roast themselves I guess clarity is needed.

Enc on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Uh that natural sun isn't any better for you. The source of UV-radiation doesn't actually matter. Whether you tan inside or out you are still at an increased risk for skin-cancer.

• Options
    In a general sense, yes. In a specific sense, tanning beds are many, many, many orders of magnitude higher for risk of cancers.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I would recommend getting a spray tan if you really want a certain look but tanning beds are so bad for you, stay away from them

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    In a general sense, yes. In a specific sense, tanning beds are many, many, many orders of magnitude higher for risk of cancers.

Well yes the amount of radiation you receive is easily more than you can get through normal means especially if you tan frequently. But you are not somehow at less risk if you substitute the 10 minutes in a tanning salon for a couple of days trying to get that tan by sunbathing.

Ideally you should do neither, and sure if you really want to get a tan getting it outside probably has other benefits. But a tanning bed session is basically like spending 15 minutes in the midday southern sun, the problem is that people usually get away from that sun instead of basking in it.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Edited the first post since apparently I sounded like I was promoting flesh baking. People get darker skin by being outdoors naturally, that's what your body does. If you want to live a healthy outdoor lifestyle, do so safely through using appropriate sunblock and not being a crazy person. This apparently must be detailed (it's sort of a given in Florida but I guess not everywhere)?

Enc on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Is the family outing to somewhere sunny and warm? Maybe you'll have that glorious tan after the trip? Even wearing spf 50 all day but being outside for a week will darken your skin.

Also, nothing to feel ashamed about with pale skin. Nothing at all. Own that skin tone, whatever it may be.

And tell your mom that she is ridiculous for requiring you to change your body color for a reunion. Maybe your family would like to get to know the real you? And if they don't? Fuck those people. Family can be weird, you don't have to put up with it. And you definitely don't need to put yourself at risk for skin cancer for a reunion.

Worst case scenario you could photoshop the pictures so everyone is your shade of flesh and no one will care or notice.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I'd just get one of those fake spray-tans if I were you. Much more dramatic result from a single session, and no cancer! I know a handful of people who've done that and it looks really natural.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Edited the first post since apparently I sounded like I was promoting flesh baking. People get darker skin by being outdoors naturally, that's what your body does. If you want to live a healthy outdoor lifestyle, do so safely through using appropriate sunblock and not being a crazy person. This apparently must be detailed (it's sort of a given in Florida but I guess not everywhere)?

I've seen too many people treat the sun like something other than a blazing ball of death so yeah. Like people who don't use sunblock and say getting sunburnt helps them get a deeper and darker tan so it's good. Or who go out specifically on the hottest and brightest part of the day in order to get a better tan.

I think it really depends on where you live. The less sun there is in a year the more people try to catch every last bit of it when it is there.

• Options
    I've gotten 2nd degree burns from the sun working outside one day as a kid with no sunblock, so yeah. Shit's dangerous! Get dat spf.