As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disturbance at Lake Webcomics

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    This does make "just what did Surma see in him" super awkward now

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Also Mind Control.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Low Center of Gravitas

2015-04-20-Low-Center-Of-Gravitas.jpg
    I just don't understand why we keep trying to have open casket funerals.

• Options
    Bass Ackwards

i-9Gmqk9N-1050x10000.jpg

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    00001503.jpg
    Hang in there.

jesus

• Options
    Ronnie's newish comic, Otaku Dad. Every Monday!

1429497691-page3.jpg

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Lookit those THINGS emanating FROM HER HEAAAAAAD! THEY LOOK SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE BONES! AAAAA!

*grabs self, wills control back into body*

Oh dear, I must not make a fool of myself over this update in front of the whole class the webcomics thread!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    Lookit those THINGS emanating FROM HER HEAAAAAAD! THEY LOOK SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE BONES! AAAAA!

*grabs self, wills control back into body*

Oh dear, I must not make a fool of myself over this update in front of the whole class the webcomics thread!

Indeed. We must not waste time considering the potentially horrific implications of this development and instead assist Mister Nelson with his bloomer problem.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm...seems like mind control to me

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmm...seems like mind control to me

No, this doesn't seem like mind control. This does however seem extremely familiar, because it's my reaction when there's a huge amount of stress and no way out. Ice cold, completely calm, and panicking on the inside.

• Options
    Kat's best move at this stage is to get Annie emotional again. Regardless of the source of this repression, she's at the limit.

The easiest way to get Annie emotional? Insult her father.

• Options
    MEANWHILE...

altertony_014_zpsxoxlnsaq.jpg

• Options
    Kat doesn't know that though

I guess the mask thing has more than a metaphorical etheric presence with that gesture

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would be disappointed if this was some magic mind control and not Anthony just wielding his influence as her dad.

It...cheapens the whole a bit?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Bass Ackwards

i-9Gmqk9N-1050x10000.jpg

I was thinking this exact thing watching that trailer

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Also, it turns Tony from terrible father to cartoonish villain which is a bit much

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    the allusion to the bone spear thing is pretty obvious in today's page, so there's some magic in there

I dunno

like I said: I don't think it was ever intended to be a misery lit plot so it's only cheapened if you expected it to be

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    It's the problem with comics with supernatural elements: It introduces ambiguity.

Still, I don't think the mundane explanation for this puts Tony in much of a better light than bonelasers.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    the bone spears only showed up in zimmy's EXTERMELY metaphorical visions, they are probably still metaphorical

I also extermely meant to misspell extremely

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    the mask also turned up in that vision

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    at some level harry potter is shoved under the staircase so that we can dispense with his muggle relationships more readily, not to explore a harrowing tale of surviving child abuse

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    the bone spears are a metaphor for the control her father exerts on her with his emotional blackmail
    the mask is a metaphor for the composed persona she tries to show outwardly and hide her temper and anxieties (like in regard to earning her father's love and approval) with
    IMO visually evoking the bone spears and the mask in this page is not a coincidence, but they're also not evidence that Anthony is beaming mind control rays into her from his space station

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    And here I was about to suggest mind control, and that Tony probably used a similar form of mind control on her mother for experimentation.

I half expect Wednesday to have sparks coming out of Antimony's neck as she goes "ERROR... ERROR..."

Taramoor on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    at some level harry potter is shoved under the staircase so that we can dispense with his muggle relationships more readily, not to explore a harrowing tale of surviving child abuse

i don't think this is a very good metaphor in that it downplays how much the way Harry was treated by his family effects his character.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Also, it turns Tony from terrible father to cartoonish villain which is a bit much
    It would also imply he used it on Surma, and GC really does not need a mind control rapist character.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i'm not seeing any mind control

I'm seeing annie about to completely lose her shit and taking a beat to collect herself because she does not want to lose her shit

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    It would also imply he used it on Surma, and GC really does not need a mind control rapist character.

that's one possibility

there's also the possibility of fate blah blah blah because Coyote seems pretty darned certain Annie will have a kid too

maybe Jones is playing Bene Gesserit. at this point the scene where she tries to make Annie angry by insulting her father seems to be more than just generic personality assessment

we also know that all the kids at GKC have some sort of ability and it's not necessarily the case that Annie inherited nothing but mundane humanity from her father

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    tony's part suck elemental

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I'm seeing annie about to completely lose her shit and taking a beat to collect herself because she does not want to lose her shit

Yeah, I don't see any mask or bone spears or whatever. Antimony just looks like she's about to break down and bawl, then gets a grip. Of course, it's been so long I don't even know what those are anyway so I wouldn't know what to look for.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Well, if anyone was worried about Cucumber Quest going away, Gigi said in her ask.fm that it has at least five more years to go.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Guilded-Age-Interlude-pg-4-color-reduced-copy.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, I don't see any mask or bone spears or whatever. Antimony just looks like she's about to break down and bawl, then gets a grip. Of course, it's been so long I don't even know what those are anyway so I wouldn't know what to look for.

When Annie was unconscious zimmy went into the ether/her mind to try and fix her, and she saw a bunch of really long white spikes that lead all the way back to tony, which kind of sort of looked like the lines drawn around Annie's head in the most recent page, insofar as they were looking that colored and pointy

And there was also a vision of Annie's forged homework hidden under a mask, which is so painfully symbolic that I'm shocked anyone would take it as anything other than abstract imagery

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I don't think it's mind control, or I mean, it absolutely is just you know not like the magical kind

if tony's looking to acquire reynardine annie has to be free of magical compulsion to turn him over

even if that weren't a thing though tony doesn't need any extra tools besides those granted to him by his suck elemental heritage

• Options
    If it's mind control then I feel like Tony will be sticking around much longer because it has larger implications about him than just bad dad.

My expectations is that this is just part of Antimony's character development, which involves telling her dad to fuck off and shed the last of her passive emotionless persona she had when the comic started.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I would've thought the mask thing was abstract imagery too, but the putting-on-a-literal-mask gesture in today's page is pretty obvious

Tony has taken 1.5k pages to show up, I think he's going to stick around for much longer regardless

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    2015-04-20-367.png

Three Panel Soul takes on San Francisco real estate

What a load of shit. If it were a Facebook engineer, it would've gone for 300k over asking!

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

When Annie was unconscious zimmy went into the ether/her mind to try and fix her, and she saw a bunch of really long white spikes that lead all the way back to tony, which kind of sort of looked like the lines drawn around Annie's head in the most recent page, insofar as they were looking that colored and pointy

And there was also a vision of Annie's forged homework hidden under a mask, which is so painfully symbolic that I'm shocked anyone would take it as anything other than abstract imagery

Oooooh, okay I kinda vaguely remember the Zimmy thing now. I don't remember the mask thing at all though, so I think I'll use this as an excuse to archive binge at work tomorrow.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I would've thought the mask thing was abstract imagery too, but the putting-on-a-literal-mask gesture in today's page is pretty obvious

Tony has taken 1.5k pages to show up, I think he's going to stick around for much longer regardless

I mean she buried her head in her hands, that's a pretty common motion for someone who's emotionally distressed

• Options

Oooooh, okay I kinda vaguely remember the Zimmy thing now. I don't remember the mask thing at all though, so I think I'll use this as an excuse to archive binge at work tomorrow.

here's a link for your convenience

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1026

@Darmak

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I mean she buried her head in her hands, that's a pretty common motion for someone who's emotionally distressed

yes. it's panel six which is mask-like

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.