As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – The third and final story DLC out now on PS4/XBO/PC

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I don't get the hate for Viv. She's judgmental, sure, but so is pretty much everybody in this game.

Is it just because she's more passive aggressive than directly rude?

My main beef with Viv is how incredibly shallow and manipulative she is. Like, she joins the Inquisition to gain clout for a shot at being divine, if it couldn't do that for her she wouldn't be there. A lot of her rep gains when you first meet her relate to how well she thinks you can help her get the fancy hat. And if you don't meet her standards, she basically acts like a childish brat for the rest of the game. There's also the whole arguing from privilege thing she does, that's never fun.

It's been a while since I had those conversations, but as I recall, Vivienne actually pushes for Cassandra to be Divine, and only pursues the position herself if you suggest it to her. You actually have to talk her into it, because she initially refuses to believe that the Chantry would ever accept a mage as Divine.

Also, it's hard for me to see her as "privileged" when she is both a mage and an orphan in a society that is strongly disadvantageous to either of those things.

She's a total bitch who is arrogant, rude and incredibly dismissive of other people's circumstances.

Every action she takes seems to be about how it personally enriches her and she's shameless in admitting that fact as well.

She also happens to be right about a lot of important stuff and she's also honest as well. Despite her power lust she also has a firm view about how things should run and it's based on reasonable ideas.

Personally I like the character but yeah there's plenty to hate if you value decorum and common decency.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I don't get the hate for Viv. She's judgmental, sure, but so is pretty much everybody in this game.

My main beef with Viv is how incredibly shallow and manipulative she is. Like, she joins the Inquisition to gain clout for a shot at being divine, if it couldn't do that for her she wouldn't be there. A lot of her rep gains when you first meet her relate to how well she thinks you can help her get the fancy hat. And if you don't meet her standards, she basically acts like a childish brat for the rest of the game. There's also the whole arguing from privilege thing she does, that's never fun.

It's been a while since I had those conversations, but as I recall, Vivienne actually pushes for Cassandra to be Divine, and only pursues the position herself if you suggest it to her. You actually have to talk her into it, because she initially refuses to believe that the Chantry would ever accept a mage as Divine.

Also, it's hard for me to see her as "privileged" when she is both a mage and an orphan in a society that is strongly disadvantageous to either of those things.

Dude, you got mad played. She subtly hints at herself pretty much any time the divine is mentioned. She only brings up Cass if you aske her directly, because of course she would. Also, she is the mistress of one of the most important political figures in Orlais and makes full use of the advantages that brings, she is mad privileged.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Dude, you got mad played. She subtly hints at herself pretty much any time the divine is mentioned. She only brings up Cass if you aske her directly, because of course she would. Also, she is the mistress of one of the most important political figures in Orlais and makes full use of the advantages that brings, she is mad privileged.

I have trouble using this against her since in her loyalty quest it seemed like she ligitimately did love him.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It's also worth noting that she has far more freedom than any other circle mage. Or maybe it's her entire circle that's really privileged. I forget. Either way, she's pretty much free to do whatever she likes.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

I have trouble using this against her since in her loyalty quest it seemed like she ligitimately did love him.

Maybe, but do you think she'd have given him the time of day if he wasn't who he was? I think heart and mind just happened to conveniently align in that instance.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Docken wrote: »

She's a total bitch who is arrogant, rude and incredibly dismissive of other people's circumstances.

Every action she takes seems to be about how it personally enriches her and she's shameless in admitting that fact as well.

She also happens to be right about a lot of important stuff and she's also honest as well. Despite her power lust she also has a firm view about how things should run and it's based on reasonable ideas.

Personally I like the character but yeah there's plenty to hate if you value decorum and common decency.

Okay, that I can understand.
    It's also worth noting that she has far more freedom than any other circle mage. Or maybe it's her entire circle that's really privileged. I forget. Either way, she's pretty much free to do whatever she likes.

While that's true, it wasn't always that way for her. She had to earn it.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Fair, but it's something mages at any other circle wouldn't even have the opportunity to earn.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

It's been a long time since I read it, but I thought they did an exterminatus on the whole Orlais circle in the 2nd one? That kicked the whole mage vs templar thing off?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

It's been a long time since I read it, but I thought they did an exterminatus on the whole Orlais circle in the 2nd one? That kicked the whole mage vs templar thing off?

That was Kirkwall, very far from Orlais. Like, in a different country.

• Options
    edited April 2016

No, not in DA2, in the book that had cole and his mage friend. Kirkwall was already burned down by then

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

No, not in DA2, in the book that had cole and his mage friend. Kirkwall was already burned down by then

Oh, that. If I recall correctly there was a murder or two and then a vote. There may have also been some drama with the right of annulment almost being invoked, but it wasn't.

• Options

Oh, that. If I recall correctly there was a murder or two and then a vote. There may have also been some drama with the right of annulment almost being invoked, but it wasn't.

I thought the exterminatus happened after the vote. I distinctly remember some sort of fleeing in the night

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

The interesting thing about Vivienne is that she has the most conservative ideas of all the Divine candidates, but the act of appointing her to that position is by far the most radical option.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »

The interesting thing about Vivienne is that she has the most conservative ideas of all the Divine candidates, but the act of appointing her to that position is by far the most radical option.

Only Nixon could go to China.

• Options
    IseultTheIdleIseultTheIdle Registered User regular
    Vivienne is just so condescending to everyone. Solas is vehemently opposed to the Qun, but you understand his perspective even if you disagree. Sera snipes about nobles but you understand her point of view. Vivienne has very good points to make about the danger of magic, but she's so smug and so okay with OTHER mages being oppressed as long as she gets hers... she's basically a class traitor, as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Her point of view is that she doesn't see it as oppression, though. She sees it as for the mages' own protection, but also wants to make sure that the abuses of the system as it had existed are dealt with.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Uh, no. Leliana is absolutely more radical, because she ends the circles. Vivienne is the most conservative, because she keeps policy as status quo of any of the options.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Uh, no. Leliana is absolutely more radical, because she ends the circles. Vivienne is the most conservative, because she keeps policy as status quo of any of the options.

AFTER the fact Leliana turns out to be more radical. She doesn't campaign for the position by saying she'll end the circles. She doesn't even say that to the Inquisitor when they chat about it. Her ideas at that point - sending out teams of mages and templars to work together where they're needed, for example - are definitely advocating for change, but not a complete overturn.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

She's a frickin' mage! It starts a civil war immediately!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

She's a frickin' mage! It starts a civil war immediately!

Okay, I understand what you mean, I think.

• Options
    Sera snipes about nobles but you understand her point of view.

I really don't. Of all the companions in the game, Sera seems like the most selfish. She assassinates nobles because doing so makes her feel good about herself, even though the aftermath of her attacks only makes things worse for the people she's allegedly trying help.

After a while, I began to realize that her babbling manner of speech is just a defense she uses to discourage people from asking her to explain her longterm plans. She doesn't want to confront the reality that her actions are counterproductive to her goals. She wants to keep living under the delusion that she can make the world a better place just by killing mean people.

• Options
    I don't disagree, but in her wrongheaded delusion she's not that different from the other companions. They're all kidding themselves, or the world, or both, about who they really are and what they're really doing. The exception is Cole, who isn't fully in one world or the other; and even he is in denial about a pretty central fact of his so-called life.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I don't disagree, but in her wrongheaded delusion she's not that different from the other companions. They're all kidding themselves, or the world, or both, about who they really are and what they're really doing. The exception is Cole, who isn't fully in one world or the other; and even he is in denial about a pretty central fact of his so-called life.

How does this apply to Cassandra or Varric?

• Options
    It's interesting, isn't it, that the two characters we've met before are the least deceitful/conflicted? I don't know whether that's lazy writing, or fidelity to beloved characters, or a little of both.

But you're right, I should have excluded them from my sweeping statement.

• Options
    Cassandra is very religious.

That alone goes a long way toward explaining why she's more grounded in reality than your other companions. You can lie to yourself, but you can't lie to The Maker.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Cassandra is very religious.

That alone goes a long way toward explaining why she's more grounded in reality than your other companions. You can lie to yourself, but you can't lie to The Maker.

Ah, but there are some who would say that even believing that The Maker exists is living a lie. :)

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    TBH, varric was really boring in DAI.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    TBH, varric was really boring in DAI.

Yeah he was an enormous downgrade compared to 2. I did love what they did with him in Trespasser, though.

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    I'm still a bit salty that I can't romance Varric's luxurious rug of manliness Varric, but I'm sure I'll get over it one of these years...

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    It's interesting, isn't it, that the two characters we've met before are the least deceitful/conflicted? I don't know whether that's lazy writing, or fidelity to beloved characters, or a little of both.

But you're right, I should have excluded them from my sweeping statement.

Basically, every character except for them exist on some contiuum of being an awful person. I find that quite interesting.

• Options
    So your party in Dragon Age: Inquisition is a collection of awful people who all hate each other.

Just like a real family.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    So your party in Dragon Age: Inquisition is a collection of awful people who all hate each other.

Just like a real family.

I don't really agree. Varric, Cass and Dorian are all solidly pretty good people all around. The rest definitely have some shade in their characters but some are darker than others.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

Just like a real family.

I don't really agree. Varric, Cass and Dorian are all solidly pretty good people all around. The rest definitely have some shade in their characters but some are darker than others.

Dorian equivocates on slavery. He eventually acknowledges that it's bad, but he doesn't start that way.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Derrick wrote: »

Just like a real family.

Dorian equivocates on slavery. He eventually acknowledges that it's bad, but he doesn't start that way.

And even when he admits it's bad, it's in a halfhearted "I guess there are some downsides" kind of way.

You can take the man out of Tevinter, but you can't take Tevinter out of the man.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hey, slavery's great when you're not a slave!!!

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Some slaves have way better lives than a lot of the poor people who we rigged the economic system against, you know. You could say that we are actually doing those slaves a favor! Where would they be without the benevolence of the magiocracy?

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Greg Ellis/Jonny Rees, voice of Cullen Rutherford has been listed as a missing person with the LAPD Missing Persons Unit.
    He was last seen shirtless and manic on Wednesday, May 11th. Greg suffers from Bipolar disorder which he has refused treatment for.

:(

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I hope he's okay.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Well, shit.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.