As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tank [Chat] Mk 2

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

1200px-Tank-Mephisto-Queensland-Museum.jpg

This is Mephisto, the only surviving German AV7 tank. And currently sitting in a museum in Australia. Also it may be the only tank to be stolen twice. In July of 1918 Mephisto encountered one of the big mobility problems of the war. It was driven into a shell crater and couldn't be gotten out. With the crew dead, the tank was stuck there. The 26th Battalion of the AIF found themselves facing the Germans with the tank in No Man's Land. For Major Robinson of the 26th, this was an intolerable situation. A perfectly good tank was sitting there completely unstolen. So he personally lead a night raid to get it. While under the cover of darkness he lead a raid to acquire the tank. The Germans fired poison gas shells and shot machine guns at them to no avail. With the assistance of British tanks they managed to get it back to Allied lines.

Svmj1Xz.jpg

[img][/img]sBPcEq0.jpg
And being Australian, they promptly vandalized it.

Now the British found themselves suitably impressed with this act and inform the Australians that they would be putting the tank on prominent display at one of their war museums. The Australians hadn't stolen it once with goal of letting it sit in the UK, so the stole it again. A cargo manifest was falsified and it was declared to be a wagon. It was loaded on a ship with the rest of the 26th Battalion and off to Australia it went, having been stolen a second time.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    there is a new cooking anime that apparently has the best foodgasm scenes

Better not dissappoint,

bloodyroarxx on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I shall now lock my tank doors whenever I see a shiftless Australian milling about.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    they're australians what do you expect?

fuck gendered marketing
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    'cism

...you're stealing a tank right now, aren't you?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

Racist!

He just got one on a credit card and is defaulting on the bill. Completely different!

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Elly, listen to all the podcasts

at once

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Gim wrote: »

it all depends on what the definition of "tank" is

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    then use all the time you'll save to convey Casual to me.

So that I might do things to him.

Cinders wrote: »
    Elly, listen to all the podcasts

at once

http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/whiteNoiseGenerator.php

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

This story is more educational about modern politics than you'd think.

That one guy who made the Planned Parenthood crack can jump in a volcano.

Oh god Cooking Anime is the best anime.

Which one's this?

simonwolf wrote: »

Which one's this?
    Shokugeki no Soma

On page 1?

Page one what?

Usually we don't discuss anime till page 100.

Usually we don't discuss anime till page 100.

Ill talk about anime on any page I just wont go full anime till page 100

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I love Matt Lees

fuck gendered marketing
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    can't stop looking at the unbridled naughty glee that kid has

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    can't stop looking at the unbridled naughty glee that kid has

The article is right, it's all downhill forever.

That Cracked article thing about "scenes you didn't know were stolen" is the most ridiculous thing I've read today

It's as though these people have no idea that pretty much every scene they mention is either tribute, homage, or (in the case of Perfect Blue/Requiem For A Dream) officially sanctioned re-make of that goddamn scene

next time on Cracked: you won't BELIEVE these flagrantly stolen costumes from famous movies!!!

(entry #1: Uma Thurman's yellow and black-striped outfit from Kill Bill)

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    James Brady died this morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brady

Edit:Or last night. Depends on where you read it I guess.

Edit edit: *Dunce cap*

Trace on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

that entry says he died last year

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg

that entry says he died last year

I assume he means his widow, Sarah Brady

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Oh Jesus.

SARAH BRADY.

I haven't had coffee yet. I've been sitting here staring at the fucking thing for the last few minutes going "yup there's something wrong but fuck me if my coffee deprived head can figured it out"

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/indiana-has-now-charged-two-asian-american-women-feticide-n332761
    the state of Indiana sentenced 33-year-old Purvi Patel to 20 years in prison on charges of feticide - an act that causes the death of a fetus - and neglect of a dependent. She received a 30-year-sentence on the felony neglect charge, 10 of which were suspended. A six-year sentence for feticide will be served concurrently.

Patel is the first woman in the U.S. to be charged, convicted and sentenced on a feticide charge. Reproductive rights activists are outraged.

"What this conviction means is that anti-abortion laws will be used to punish pregnant woman," says Lynn Paltrow, Executive Director for National Advocates for Pregnant Women.
    Patel was arrested in July 2013 after she went to the emergency room, bleeding heavily, at St. Joseph Hospital in Mishawaka, Indiana. Despite initially denying the pregnancy, Patel eventually admitted to medical authorities that she had a miscarriage and threw the stillborn fetus in a dumpster.

According to Sue Ellen Braunlin, doctor and co-president of the Indiana Religious Coalition for Reproductive Justice, Purvi was most likely 23-24 weeks pregnant, although prosecutors argued Patel was 25 weeks along in the state's opening argument. The prosecution confirmed on Monday that the baby died within seconds of being born.

Patel's lawyers argued that she panicked when she realized she was in labor. Patel comes from a conservative Hindu family that looks down on sex outside marriage, and the pregnancy was a result of an affair Patel had with her co-worker.

"Purvi Patel's conviction amounts to punishment for having a miscarriage and then seeking medical care, something that no woman should worry would lead to jail time," said Deepa Iyer, Activist-in-Residence at the University of Maryland's Asian American Studies Program and former director of South Asian Americans Leading Together.

Despite Patel's claim that she gave birth to a stillborn child, prosecutors argued that Patel gave birth to a live fetus and charged her with child neglect. Prosecutors also claimed that Patel ordered abortion-inducing drugs online and tried to terminate her pregnancy, but a toxicology report failed to find evidence of any drugs in her system.

What the fuck Indiana?

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/indiana-has-now-charged-two-asian-american-women-feticide-n332761
    the state of Indiana sentenced 33-year-old Purvi Patel to 20 years in prison on charges of feticide - an act that causes the death of a fetus - and neglect of a dependent. She received a 30-year-sentence on the felony neglect charge, 10 of which were suspended. A six-year sentence for feticide will be served concurrently.

Patel is the first woman in the U.S. to be charged, convicted and sentenced on a feticide charge. Reproductive rights activists are outraged.

"What this conviction means is that anti-abortion laws will be used to punish pregnant woman," says Lynn Paltrow, Executive Director for National Advocates for Pregnant Women.
    Patel was arrested in July 2013 after she went to the emergency room, bleeding heavily, at St. Joseph Hospital in Mishawaka, Indiana. Despite initially denying the pregnancy, Patel eventually admitted to medical authorities that she had a miscarriage and threw the stillborn fetus in a dumpster.

According to Sue Ellen Braunlin, doctor and co-president of the Indiana Religious Coalition for Reproductive Justice, Purvi was most likely 23-24 weeks pregnant, although prosecutors argued Patel was 25 weeks along in the state's opening argument. The prosecution confirmed on Monday that the baby died within seconds of being born.

Patel's lawyers argued that she panicked when she realized she was in labor. Patel comes from a conservative Hindu family that looks down on sex outside marriage, and the pregnancy was a result of an affair Patel had with her co-worker.

"Purvi Patel's conviction amounts to punishment for having a miscarriage and then seeking medical care, something that no woman should worry would lead to jail time," said Deepa Iyer, Activist-in-Residence at the University of Maryland's Asian American Studies Program and former director of South Asian Americans Leading Together.

Despite Patel's claim that she gave birth to a stillborn child, prosecutors argued that Patel gave birth to a live fetus and charged her with child neglect. Prosecutors also claimed that Patel ordered abortion-inducing drugs online and tried to terminate her pregnancy, but a toxicology report failed to find evidence of any drugs in her system.

What the fuck Indiana?

I don't think this is the anti-abortion case the article seems to be making it out to be. This is a woman who gave birth and threw the extremely premature baby in the dumpster. That's awful, and it's more akin to the teenage girls throwing their babies away thing you hear about from time to time than a reproductive rights issue, IMO.

There is literally a 50% chance of survival under absolute best circumstances for a baby born after only 24 weeks SKFM. The prosecution admits the poor thing died within seconds.

Unless you think she squeezed it out standing by the dumpster it was dead before she could have done anything at all.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i watched an episode of garfunkel and oates

holy fuck

this is the worst thing i've ever seen

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Ellie tell you you haven't stayed up all night

say it ain't so

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

poo
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Down here on the ground floor of a new thread. Let's make this a grea

What the fuck Indiana?

Oh.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

What the fuck Indiana?

I don't think this is the anti-abortion case the article seems to be making it out to be. This is a woman who gave birth and threw the extremely premature baby in the dumpster. That's awful, and it's more akin to the teenage girls throwing their babies away thing you hear about from time to time than a reproductive rights issue, IMO.
    I wouldn't say it's anti abortion, but it most certainly is anti-woman. This woman had something terrible happen to her and panicked and she got put in prison for a significant portion of her life because of it.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    Vanguard wrote: »
    i watched an episode of garfunkel and oates

holy fuck

this is the worst thing i've ever seen

I thought I'd seen an episode of this, but I think it was actually Das Boot

This discussion has been closed.