As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PBP] Game On - Drow-Ridge: a Dungeon World Game. (Still Recruiting)

illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Critical Failures
Hello! Welcome to the thread. This here is where I would like to make a game of Dungeon World happen.

This is where I tell you all about this awesome world that I spent a million hours crafting.. except we're playing Dungeon World so the world that we play in will, in large part, be created through mutual storytelling within the game. For this reason, I am leaving the world and the over-all campaign with a lot of blanks. We'll figure it out as we go along. I do have a few ideas for a bit of adventure to get the ball rolling though.

Full disclosure: I have not GMed a game of Dungeon World before. I will probably make a mistake or two as we go along.

That being said, I have been running and playing RPGs for a long, long time.

New players are welcome! Many of us will probably be first timers for this game and that is okay.

No rulebook? That's ok. DW is surprisingly rules-light and after a short time will come naturally to you. I can assist with character creation.

If you are interested in playing, please say so. If you know what you would like to play, tell us a short story about your character. It doesn't have to be any longer than two or three paragraphs but it could be as long as you like. The only rule here is that no two players may take the same class, so please say what class you would like to take.

Cheers!

illgottengains on

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm totally interested. No idea what I want to play as yet and dont have the DW rules but hey we all gotta start somewhere.

EDIT: Scratch that I know exactly what I want to play. I want to be a crazy old wizard/shaman type. Not like Gandalf, more like the wizard of the mounds from Conan, or Yoda in RoJ. Usually a bit of a hermit living in a shack by the old river he is adventuring because of a vision he had one day while meditating. Not sure what that vision is yet. I don't really know how DW works so I'm being intentionally vague for the time being.

459-wizard_134510740269.jpg

PfpV0zY.jpg

LwRTyTB.gif

akiro-conan-barbarian--large-msg-130998058981.jpg

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Hey, I am more than willing to join in if you need player numbers (if you exceed numbers put me in reserve, I'm already in a DW game on here and can't be greedy).

I am more than familiar with the system and have used it myself a couple of times. If I can be of help, let me know.

Also, good on you for giving it a shot! Few enough people are willing to DM/GM in general, never mind for a system they are new to.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Awesome!

Nefff Tell us about the vision your wizard had in his hut. In dw, it's all about the story, character creation is very straightforward. I'll get a link for character sheets up soon that should have everything you need to get started.

Brayster. I think having an experienced player eould be good. Tell us what kind of adventurer you will play and a little bit about him or her.

• Options
    While doing some magical research Pherbus had a lotus-fueled vision of a moon crawling with terror monsters hurling selves earthward(or whatever planet we are on) via blasphemous cosmic trebuchets. He knows it must be stopped but has little to no idea how.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Hi, I'd be interested in playing! I don't know what your setting is or anything, so I'm going to throw an idea out that I like but can replace with another one easily if it won't work. I've done PbP before but not here.

Tree is a tree. Tree was bumped, and Tree fell out of Tree, bark and wood alike. Tree looks down and is a Fast Man with no bark. Tree tries to get back into Tree, but can't.

Tree sees Ferret Man looking at the Tree that isn't Tree but is, and the Tree that is and isn't Tree looks back. Tree strikes Ferret Man with branches and takes his bark. Tree puts it on but is still wrong. Tree still can't get into Tree and be Tree. Tree sheds skywater and withers inside. Tree is Not Tree.

Not Tree is not Tree any more.

She's a human or elf that people call Nottrey. She says she comes from the wood, and few people find out more than that, assuming that she is simple or foreign by her confusion with human interaction. She doesn't know why she isn't a tree any more, but thinks Ferret Man might have known why before he became food for Tree. She's slowly getting better at being people, but tries to be a Tree whenever she can.

Fighter, Ranger, Thief I think could be good, and I'm happy to let people with more defined concepts take a class first. I could even make Bard work if necessary!

ameybes on
  • Options
    shaping up to be a wacky group already.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ok. Looks like we're going with three players. That's plenty. I know neff needs access to a char sheet, is everyone elae good?

Brayster, can you tell us about your character please.

In DW, the party begins with some level of familiarity represented by their bonds. For wizards, your options are ________ has an important role to play in the event s to come.______ is keeping a secret from me. _______is woefully misinformed about the world. I will teach him or her all that I can.

It may be good to wait for braysters character description before finalizing your bonds. You may have one bond for each other party member. Resolving bonds will add exp for your character.

• Options
    You also may create your own bonds, as long as they make sense for your character.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I didn't realize we had gotten this far this quickly.

I'll be playing as Willem Dunhelm, a young Paladin making his way into the world. Son of a Knight, Willem struck out on his own to relive the glory of the tales he had heard as a child. He fought as a mercenary for a while, before devoting himself to serving the Church of Harrot, god of Fire and Harvest (The Fire giveth, the Fire taketh away).

Look:

Human Male, 27. Fiery eyes. Fancy Holy Symbol. Fit Body.

Stats:

Strength: 15 (+1)

Dexterity: 13

Constitution: 9

Intelligence: 12

Wisdom: 8 (-1)

Charisma: 16 (+2)

HP: 19/19

Armor: 2

Base Damage: d10

Human Ability:
    When you pray for guidance, even for a moment, and ask, “What here is evil?” the GM will tell you, honestly.

Moves:
    Lay on Hands (Cha)

When you touch someone, skin to skin, and pray for their well-being , roll+CHA.

✴ On a 10+ you heal 1d8 damage or remove one disease.

✴ On a 7–9, they are healed, but the damage or disease is transferred to you.

Armored

You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear.

I Am the Law

When you give an NPC an order based on your divine authority, roll+Cha.

✴ On a 7+, they choose one:

Do what you say
    Back away cautiously, then flee
    Attack you
    ✴On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them.

✴ On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them.

Quest

When you dedicate yourself to a mission through prayer and ritual cleansing, state what you set out to do:

Slay _______, a great blight on the land
    Defend _______ from the iniquities that beset them
    Discover the truth of _______
    Then choose up to two boons:

An unwavering sense of direction to _______.
    Invulnerability to _______ (e.g., edged weapons, fire, enchantment, etc.)
    A mark of divine authority
    Senses that pierce lies
    A voice that transcends language
    A freedom from hunger, thirst, and sleep
    The GM will then tell you what vow or vows is required of you to maintain your blessing:

Honor (forbidden: cowardly tactics and tricks)
    Temperance (forbidden: gluttony in food, drink, and pleasure of the flesh)
    Piety (required: observance of daily holy services)
    Valor (forbidden: suffering an evil creature to live)
    Truth (forbidden: lies)
    Hospitality (required: comfort to those in need, no matter who they are)

Alignment: Lawful - Deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever.

Gear (Load = 12+str):
    Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)

Scale Armor (2 armor, 3 weight)

Flaming Scepter of Harrot Necklace (0 weight)

Halberd (reach, +1 damage, 2 handed, 2 weight)

Adventuring Gear (1 weight)

I'll leave it there until other players have more on the table, and for the DM to add anything they want to add. If anything I've put clashes with other ideas, let me know. I'll update bonds when I have a better idea of how my character would relate to the others.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ameybes - I like your character concept. There are a lot of directions it could go. I have a couple questions about your character's back-story. Who is Ferret Man and why is he interested in Tree? What was Nottrey's life like before becoming a human-tree?

Brayster - Tell us about the mercenaries and Wilhiem's departure from their ranks. Why and how did he leave them? What prompted him to devote himself to the God of Fire?

Neff - Was Pherbus's "lotus-filled" dream a prophecy, or was it simply a dream? Does Pherbus smoke or otherwise ingest lotus very often?

illgottengains on
  • Options
    Going to sleep now, but just FYI, Nottrey's concept is evolving and she'll be a bard if anyone new is looking to jump in and wants to know which classes are gone. Should have the story (and character sheet) written up in the next day.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Starting off, some ancient background, then some recent background.
    Very long ago, when the human race were first becoming powerful in the realm, a grand conclave of leaders from the elven nations was called. The strongest warriors, most powerful wizards, precise archers and masters of ancient lore gathered to decide how to meet this rising threat. After a week of debate, and much negotiation and brow beating, all nations at the meet agreed that they would unite and eradicate human power from the realm; to sow their fields with salt and level their cities to the ground. However, there was one who still disagreed.

The Lady, a diviner of fates and singer of fortunes, requested that she be heard once more. She pleaded with the nations for clemency for the wrongs of humanity, for she had seen that humans would in time become the only force that could save the world from destruction. A final audience was granted hesitantly by the Conclave, but none were keen to draw the ire of a singer of fortunes.

The Lady sang a calm ballad of such beauty that the leaders paused. She sang a future of brave sages, of wise warriors, of the servants of gods yet to be, and a Calling that would unite them to save the world and all that the nations held dear. She sang of the smell of fresh snow, of the warming light of the sun every day, and the feeling of grass on your feet.

The Lady’s song was so sweet, that the leaders failed to notice that they had stopped moving, or that their feet grew thicker and dug into the ground. The world started to slow, and they heard only the song and the cool thump of sap as they became something new and old.

A birch at the heart of the wood sprouted the first leaves of spring, and the voice of the fair lady finally faded into a breeze swishing through the trees.

And that is how the Clavenwood was born.

Startled, Aechtod sat up and looked around. The forest had seemed so real to him, but all he saw now was the comfortable old hut he called home, and a hungry cat mewling for its breakfast. Quickly he collected some parchment, inked his quill, and began to write down his dream as it slowly faded away. There was less than he had hoped, but more than he could have expected.

For twenty years Aechtod had studied the songs of bards, searching for the key element that grants them power. Indeed, he had even learned a technique to negate the effects of bard songs, although there was little call for such a thing, as the bards were loved by all. But...could he reverse the curse and bring the elves back? What knowledge they could have to share! What songs the Fair Lady may sing!

Aechtod packed his tomes, quills, and his good set of clothes (only faded, not holey). He picked up his hungry cat, took it outside, and locked the door behind him.

He gave the cat a loving backrub, and put him down. “Behave yourself, Rolley; I’ll be back in a few weeks.”

Rolley watched as Aechtod wandered through the brush. Then she saw a bird and scampered off.

Unanswered questions:
    - Did Ferret Man awake just Nottrey, or the other elven leaders as well? If so, are they equally as befuddled, or have some retained their wits? Do they hold a grudge against the fair lady & humanity?
    - Did Nottrey’s past self prophesize correctly?
    - What is the significance of the ancient language she can read (and sing from her songbook)?
    - What actually happened to Aechtod (Ferret Man)? He’s probably not dead from being knocked down, or is he?
    - Is Pherbus' vision the Calling that the Fair Lady foretold?

On Nottrey:
    Nottrey is to the Fair Lady what a footprint is to a foot – an imprint of personality and knowledge, and a kernel of the self within, but not the whole thing (not yet, anyway. Who knows?). However, she looks exactly the same as the Fair Lady, and her voice has the same light and breezy tone, though none would recall that fact.

The Clavenwood
    Old forest with big gnarly trees. It looks like there are faces in the bark in the right light. The local humans are afraid to venture in there, particularly the ancient grove at its heart.

Character Sheet:
    Class: Bard
    Race: Elven
    Name: Nottrey (The Fair Lady)
    Alignment: Neutral

Look: Knowing Eyes, Wild Hair, Traveling Clothes, Fit Body

Max HP is 6+Constitution
    Base Damage is d6

STR: 8 -1
    DEX: 13 +1
    CON: 15 +1
    INT: 12 +1
    WIS: 9 -0
    CHA: 16 +2

Starting Moves:

Elf
    When you enter an important location (your call) you can ask the GM for one fact from the history of that location.

Arcane Art
    When you weave a performance into a basic spell, choose an ally and an effect:
    Heal 1d8 damage
    +1d4 forward to damage
    Their mind is shaken clear of one enchantment
    The next time someone successfully assists the target with aid, they get +2 instead of +1

Then roll+Cha. ✴On a 10+, the ally gets the selected effect. ✴On a 7-9, your spell still works, but you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

Bardic Lore
    Area of Expertise: Legends of Heroes Past

When you first encounter an important creature, location, or item (your call) covered by your bardic lore you can ask the GM any one question about it; the GM will answer truthfully. The GM may then ask you what tale, song, or legend you heard that information in.

Charming and Open
    When you speak frankly with someone, you can ask their player a question from the list below. They must answer it truthfully, then they may ask you a question from the list (which you must answer truthfully).
    Whom do you serve?
    What do you wish I would do?
    How can I get you to ______?
    What are you really feeling right now?
    What do you most desire?

A Port in the Storm
    When you return to a civilized settlement you’ve visited before, tell the GM when you were last here. They’ll tell you how it’s changed since then.

Neutral
    Avoid a conflict or defuse a tense situation.

Gear
    Your load is 9+Str (8)
    Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight).
    A songbook in a forgotten tongue (0 weight)
    Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
    Dueling rapier (close, precise, 2 weight),
    Bandages (0 weight)

Bonds
    I sang stories of Pherbus long before I ever met him in person, but I don’t remember them.
    Willem does not trust me, and for good reason.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

ameybes on
  • Options
    Ameybes - Great stuff. I'll try to incorporate as much of this as I can into our campaign. I already have a couple ideas that plug into my preparation fairly easily. I'm going to leave some of your unanswered questions unanswered for the time being. We'll have to play to find out what happens! I will say this though, Aechtold/Ferret Man was forever changed when he undid Nottrey's magical binding, but he wasn't slain when he bashed his head on the ground.
    I do have a question for you: Her spell effected only the Lord and Lady elves nearby, right? This must have sent at least some of the elven kingdoms into a temporary chaos. If she is recognized, she may find herself unwelcome in some (or possibly many) elven lands. Conversely, perhaps others praise or even worship her for The Fair Lady's deeds.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm glad Aechtod isn't dead, I felt bad for a friendly hermit dying and leaving his cat behind. :)

Who affected:
    Her spell would've affected anyone in the delegation within reasonable proximity (range of hearing) - so a few servants may have gotten away to report to their homes, but generals, heroes, archmages all could have been caught.

The intention of this is that this event happened so long ago that even among elves, its about as `real' as King Arthur, or Robin Hood...some historians most likely suggest the loss of leaders was due to an ambush or similar.

As such, Nottrey's resemblance to, perhaps, paintings may be real, but the elf on the street is not very likely to put two and two together.

Elven kingdoms:
    Yes, I think they definitely would've been thrown into chaos, and historically this could be a milestone for humanity's great push towards dominance in the region. Most of these nations may no longer exist even.

How people react:
    If it were connected that Nottrey were in some way the Fair Lady, humans would likely be respectful but suspicious (like she was a turncoat german scientist after WWII), and elves would almost universally be against her...unless they recognise that her prophecy is coming true.

ameybes on
  • Options
    Hey guys sorry this is taking so long, personal life has kinda blown up. Will get on it ASAP.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    That's all good. We're still technically in the recruiting process anyway.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Ill sign up. Just give me a while to read the rules and figure out my character.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I might want to give this a try. Where can I find the rules?

• Options
    Dungeon World SRD is here - http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm looking at the character sheet for Ranger and the character creation instructions, and there are a few things I'm confused about. For one thing, I think the stat value options might be out of date or something. On the character sheets the stat options it gives are 17 (+2), 15 (+1), 13 (+1), 11 (+0), 9 (+0), and 8 (-1), while the instructions and that character sheet someone posted upthread give 16, 15, 12, 9, and 8. As well, neither seem to say anything about how many moves to take or give me options for racial abilities.

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    The 16-first stat group is the right one - they want you to work some to earn your first 18, I guess.

For a ranger, you choose one racial move, Elf or Human. If we're starting at first level, then you get all the basic moves, including Animal Companion, which requires that some choices be made. You don't get any Advanced Moves until the higher levels.