As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We finally have free time to work on our [Gunpla] Thread

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I dunno about that particular one but my experience with transformable Zetas has been that they're pretty fragile because of how the transformation works.

The recent HGUC ReZel and Delta Plus apparently got around this by just giving you big torso bits to replace.

That said the HGUC Zeta sounds closer to that than how the MG version works so you should be fine.

Whole torso gets ripped out of the HGUC, so no problem there. It's not the Real Grade.

Fortunately.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    I dunno about that particular one but my experience with transformable Zetas has been that they're pretty fragile because of how the transformation works.

The recent HGUC ReZel and Delta Plus apparently got around this by just giving you big torso bits to replace.

That said the HGUC Zeta sounds closer to that than how the MG version works so you should be fine.

Whole torso gets ripped out of the HGUC, so no problem there. It's not the Real Grade.

Fortunately.
    Dang, I might actually want to get that one. I want a non-floppy Zeta kit.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    jesus christ, space gundams get fucking nutso, don't they

well when you don't have to worry about the effect of planetary gravity, a lot of design considerations can go out the window

alt answer: because it looks cool

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

well when you don't have to worry about the effect of planetary gravity, a lot of design considerations can go out the window

alt answer: because it looks cool

well I mean it's all the newtype shit, too

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I bought a zeta model kit yesterday on a whim because I want to see if it's still fun to put these things together

it's this one so I guess it's old and won't have good articulation? Or at least that's what the guy at the store said, but it was one of the cheapest at the store and it was the most blue also it transforms and I'm more interested in building it than anything else so I'm not worried about it

2003, so it's a bit basic compared to modern models. It does transform, but only by taking the whole thing apart and leaving about half the pieces to the side.

But even so, it's a HGUC. Even the old ones tend to have respectable articulation by general standards. It's just that the best are so much better it's easy to look down on 'em.

Yeah I looked over the transformation instructions and they basically said take of all the big bits and then put them back on in a different way

Which I guess is a downer (because actual transforming things are the coolest) but as long as I can make it stand up by itself I'll be happy

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Currently waiting on:

-HGUC Jesta Cannon
    -HGUC Gogg
    -HGUC Stark Jegan
    -HGBF Powered GM Cardigan
    -HGBF Powered Arms Powerderrrrrr
    -Builders Parts System Weapon 003
    plus a gundam marker so I can do proper lines.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Are the Gundam markers viable alternatives to airbrushing? I've never used them, but I've been eyeing some as cheaper option.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Are the Gundam markers viable alternatives to airbrushing? I've never used them, but I've been eyeing some as cheaper option.

They are way more limited in what they can do when compared to an airbrush, but, using them to line panels can really make a model pop for a lot less work and money than an airbrush.

They can't do the crazy stuff airbrushes can do (weathering, camo patterns, etc) but if you just want to do panel lining they will serve you very well.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Well, just ordered that Gundam The Origin Char's Zaku and will probably pick up a RG Gundam Mk II next

I am deep in the gunpla addiction

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

I actually can't find a video of this thing in space. But, when talking about Victory Gundam, the first thing I always think of is...WHEELS...IN....SPACE!

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=120785

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhPVV05bj0

For some reason the bad guys have giant wheels and motorcyles for their mechs to ride. They even made a gigantic battleship motorcycle that conquers cities by just fucking rolling over them.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I haven't seen Victory myself but I think some folks remember the series for another reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTOplYCfKTA

I wonder if anyone's made models of the assault squad or a diorama of this scene.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I saw Victory gundam in Spanish here a few years ago

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    gundam has had a lot of really stupid things in it over the years

about half of them are from G Gundam

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    When you said stupid did you mean awesome?

• Options
    I just saw Fury Road and I now have a powerful enough urge to buy some car models and bash them together into a post-carpocalyptic monstrosity.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I just saw Fury Road and I now have a powerful enough urge to buy some car models and bash them together into a post-carpocalyptic monstrosity.

If you do it with Lego cars you can customise them easily and also rebuild them after you smash them!

• Options
    o91kzl3v3fgo.jpg

I WANT TO MAKE THIS

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Tossed together the Grimoire I got yesterday

nGyfmjx.jpg?1

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    What have you done to that poor TIE/D?

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    It was stripped for a repaint, the glue dissolved during the process

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Lasbrook wrote: »

awesome in the same sense as that clip from victory gundam, sure

I'd probably say "amazing" rather than "awesome" though

maybe "unintentionally hilarious"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

G Gundam has a gundam that got to the finals by hiding as a windmill until the last round.

I'm pretty sure the humor was intentional.

G-Gundam has this weird thing where it's aware of how silly it is and completely sincere at the same time.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    it sure seems like they had to realize how stupid that stuff was when they were making it, doesn't it? but it's all played completely straight. There's not a single moment of winking acknowledgement in the show. No one ever remarks how surreal the windmill gundam is or the fact that an actual horse wearing one of the spandex piloting suits is piloting a horse gundam.

I guess I just think it's hilarious by accident, not on purpose.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    speaking of which are there any model kits of some of the more absurd G Gundam designs?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular

G Gundam has a gundam that got to the finals by hiding as a windmill until the last round.

I'm pretty sure the humor was intentional.

G-Gundam has this weird thing where it's aware of how silly it is and completely sincere at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQz4JqAyH9M

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Must not spend food money on a MG Sinanju... must not spend food money on a MG Sinanju...

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    it sure seems like they had to realize how stupid that stuff was when they were making it, doesn't it? but it's all played completely straight. There's not a single moment of winking acknowledgement in the show. No one ever remarks how surreal the windmill gundam is or the fact that an actual horse wearing one of the spandex piloting suits is piloting a horse gundam.

I guess I just think it's hilarious by accident, not on purpose.

well, here's the thing

you're wrong

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    you are not required to turn and wink at the camera in order to have fun with something

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    gunpla stuff:

went home to visit for a while and here are some things I had sitting around my room

Zeonography Dom, showing off some new gear.
    I really wish I had kept up with this series back in the day because I want that Kampfer, and it goes for $100-200 now.

Hz4AJ2C.jpg?1

Speaking of, here's a completed model I found at a hobby shop in Little Tokyo. The build quality isn't great but again, I like the Kampfer, so I picked it up anyway.

7sHi9w3.jpg?2

also, here's a tutorial for a panel lining technique with really impressive results

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Zaku done! This was a rad set, lots of panel lining there for you to do.

xmbqk7iai96r.jpg

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    o91kzl3v3fgo.jpg

I WANT TO MAKE THIS

Someone would make a killing selling models of the vehicles in that movie.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Zaku done! This was a rad set, lots of panel lining there for you to do.

xmbqk7iai96r.jpg

Whoa, cool! Which kit is this? I need that rifle.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    It's an updated HG kit released for Gundam The Origin: http://www.amazon.com/MS-06S-x3000-Kidou-senshi-GUNDAM-Origin/dp/B00T41F4P2/

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    o91kzl3v3fgo.jpg

I WANT TO MAKE THIS

Someone would make a killing selling models of the vehicles in that movie.
    I think it'd be a lot more fun to grab a handful of cheapish sets off a clearance rack and kitbash your own vehicles.

Then blow them up with black cats, because I never actually stopped being 13.

see317 on
  • Options
    So my original plan was to get a RG Gundam Mk-ii, but I've decided I need a RX-78 to pair with the Zaku

Picked up the waterslide decals for it too

Help

• Options
    crosspostin from the metal gear thread

Variable Action D-Spec Metal Gear Rex

vadsperex1.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Post it everywhere. I will Awesome it every time.

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    So my original plan was to get a RG Gundam Mk-ii, but I've decided I need a RX-78 to pair with the Zaku

Picked up the waterslide decals for it too

Help

I really can't help you at this point. I mean, no matter what you do, the RX-78 is going to be a bit of a floppy mess.

• Options
    is it just my imagination or is that rex a little bit chubby

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    is it just my imagination or is that rex a little bit chubby

Click the link. It's pretty much a super-deformed Metal Gear Rex, with little Scribblenauts-esque bebe Solid and Liquid.

This discussion has been closed.