As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bloodborne] Woeful sanity, have audience with cosmos

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    So for reals. How many of you swaped to Claw controls for boss fights or intense battles, if not using that controller style all the time in this game?

<--- Adamat Boss Fight Means Claw User.

i never claw the controller, i always use the normal position

why would you need to use anything but O and triangle with your thumb?
    camera

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Here's a checklist of what I've accomplished so far. Is there anything major I've overlooked (locked doors that may have randomly opened), or do you guys think I should be clear to take out Amelia?
    • Blood-Starved Beast
    • Witch of Hemwick
    • First two layers of the Pthumerian dungeon
    • Upper Cathedral district
    • Got captured by a bagman and lit the lamp

Artereis on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So for reals. How many of you swaped to Claw controls for boss fights or intense battles, if not using that controller style all the time in this game?

<--- Adamat Boss Fight Means Claw User.

i never claw the controller, i always use the normal position

why would you need to use anything but O and triangle with your thumb?

Camera control.

There are many boss and hunter fights where either locking on at all, or staying locked on all the time, is a very bad idea.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    (Double again.)

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    Quick question about armor/outfits: do I understand correctly that they're mainly geared towards specific situations, and it's not like there's much of a progression of outfits that are clearly better than earlier ones?
    Pretty much. except the armor you start the game with is weaker than the rest. It helps to buy the set from the vendor when you've just started the game and have not yet unlocked the ability to level up
    Cool, thanks. I've got the set that's in the Yharnam sewers, which seems pretty okay, and so far I haven't changed it. I imagine that if there's a Blighttown equivalent I'll be switching outfits pretty fast...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Blondeboor-plot.
    It's about developing your inner eyes. You know, the ones lining your brain.

Anyway, I think the divide between "the dreamworld" and "the real world" is overstated at times. Unlike many "it was all a dream"-movies, the Hunter's Dream is pretty consequential. And dreaming hunters coexist with people who don't dream. The bulk of dreaming seems focused on the actual area "Hunter's Dream".

PLA on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Blondeboor-plot.

Anyway, I think the divide between "the dreamworld" and "the real world" is overstated at times. Unlike many "it was all a dream"-movies, the Hunter's Dream is pretty consequential. And dreaming hunters coexist with people who don't dream. The bulk of dreaming seems focused on the actual area "Hunter's Dream".

If that's the case:
    then why in the ending where Ghernam kills you do you come to in an abandoned Yharnam? If most of the actual dream in the game is the Hunter's Dream, how come Yharnam isn't a hell-hole anymore?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    So, I was exploring through Nightmare Frontier yesterday when I encountered a PvP hunter (thanks, bell-ringing woman). The two of us go into it and I've just about got him down, when another hunter comes running down the hill and starts shotgunning the hell out of both of us. Like a true gentleman, I pop my Threaded Cane into whip mode and begin to demonstrate the intricacies of Skilled combat. I had barely a sliver of health left as I raised a Blood Vial toast to their corpses.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    So, I was exploring through Nightmare Frontier yesterday when I encountered a PvP hunter (thanks, bell-ringing woman). The two of us go into it and I've just about got him down, when another hunter comes running down the hill and starts shotgunning the hell out of both of us. Like a true gentleman, I pop my Threaded Cane into whip mode and begin to demonstrate the intricacies of Skilled combat. I had barely a sliver of health left as I raised a Blood Vial toast to their corpses.

Job well done Mego.

Also the Whip is ludicrously good in the graveyard area thanks to the terrain.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    Blondeboor-plot.

If that's the case:
    then why in the ending where Ghernam kills you do you come to in an abandoned Yharnam? If most of the actual dream in the game is the Hunter's Dream, how come Yharnam isn't a hell-hole anymore?
    Probably because it's dawn, the night of the hunt is over, balance is restored for the time being. Eventually the hunt will begin again.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Farangu wrote: »
    Blondeboor-plot.

If that's the case:
    I dunno. There's barely anything to go on in that cutscene. But there are other hunters throughout the game who have stopped dreaming and are still around.
    There's a theme of incomplete sights and overlapping planes. I don't think it's a "nothing was real" kind of situation.

PLA on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    We know which parts of the game take place in "dream/nightmare" planes.
    They're not dreams like fake dreams, they're just other realms that also exist in reality but are created by great one power. One of them is the Hunter's dream. The other is the lecture hall and the nightmare. Nightmare Frontier and Nightmare of Mensis are in the same nightmare, you can actually view Mergo's loft from the Nightmare Frontier.

The rest of the game is the real world. When you wake up in the accept ending, you're not in a different Yharnam, the nightly hunt just ended. Yes the cut scene shows you in a seemingly empty Yharnam, but it's just showing you one little area. All the people are probably just still hiding in their houses to make sure it's really over.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    They're not dreams like fake dreams, they're just other realms that also exist in reality but are created by great one power. One of them is the Hunter's dream. The other is the lecture hall and the nightmare. Nightmare Frontier and Nightmare of Mensis are in the same nightmare, you can actually view Mergo's loft from the Nightmare Frontier.

The rest of the game is the real world. When you wake up in the accept ending, you're not in a different Yharnam, the nightly hunt just ended. Yes the cut scene shows you in a seemingly empty Yharnam, but it's just showing you one little area. All the people are probably just still hiding in their houses to make sure it's really over.

Or(late game spoiler)
    They're all dead because they went outside when the moon went blood red when you killed Rom and ended up getting fucked up/absorbed/turned to stone an ash/used as meat for The One Reborn.

I actually got to that area myself for the first time and now my idea of the factions is all weird.

I know the Bagmen are associated with the School of Mensis, who also have ties to Ammy(because he has a huge ass statue in the Underground Jail general area).

However after you kill Rom and things go to shit the Bagmen get BRUTALLY MURDERED by SOMETHING, all the beastish people they were holding turn into FUSED MONSTROSITIES and there are Bell maidens manipulating blood echoes literally EVERYWHERE.

Oh and you have a member of the Choir locked up and long dead but I think that was a Mensis thing and not the Bell maiden thing.

Oh, and the Ammy lazer hurts the townpeople the bell-maiden summons, as well as the insane hunter's.

So I'm GUESSING the...things that took over the Unseen Village is the Odeon faction, especially considering it "comes out" of the moon.

• Options

Or(late game spoiler)
    They're all dead because they went outside when the moon went blood red when you killed Rom and ended up getting fucked up/absorbed/turned to stone an ash/used as meat for The One Reborn.

I actually got to that area myself for the first time and now my idea of the factions is all weird.

I know the Bagmen are associated with the School of Mensis, who also have ties to Ammy(because he has a huge ass statue in the Underground Jail general area).

However after you kill Rom and things go to shit the Bagmen get BRUTALLY MURDERED by SOMETHING, all the beastish people they were holding turn into FUSED MONSTROSITIES and there are Bell maidens manipulating blood echoes literally EVERYWHERE.

Oh and you have a member of the Choir locked up and long dead but I think that was a Mensis thing and not the Bell maiden thing.

Oh, and the Ammy lazer hurts the townpeople the bell-maiden summons, as well as the insane hunter's.

So I'm GUESSING the...things that took over the Unseen Village is the Odeon faction, especially considering it "comes out" of the moon.
    I assume that the idea of friendly fire doesn't apply when you're dealing with great olds.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    One thing I don't get
    is why the Ammy in Frontier glows and takes issue with you poking your nose where it doesn't belong (not that it helps it in the long run). I mean, there are quite a few Ammys all over Yharnam and with one notable exception they kind of just idly swat at you if you stand in the wrong place if they do anything at all. Since the only entities referred to directly as Nightmares are Murgo, who presumably dies with Wet Nurse, and the Presence, which I think indicates that they are Great Ones or at least on that level, NF Ammy isn't a Great One. But it reacts to you so differently!

On a related note, I think Frenzy would have worked better if it just rose really really slowly whenever you had LoS to any visible Kin, and quickly when hit by their attacks. The damage would need rebalancing, but I think that would have been a better representation of a Lovecraftian sanity meter. Imagine entering Yahar'gul after Rom and having your Frenzy slowly and ominously build every time you were outside...

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Here's a checklist of what I've accomplished so far. Is there anything major I've overlooked (locked doors that may have randomly opened), or do you guys think I should be clear to take out Amelia?
    • Blood-Starved Beast
    • Witch of Hemwick
    You can do the first fight for Eileen's quest and you can kill the boss of Hypogean as well (don't have to just get the lamp).

Did you find the Abandoned Old Workshop?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Huggles wrote: »
    One thing I don't get
    is why the Ammy in Frontier glows and takes issue with you poking your nose where it doesn't belong (not that it helps it in the long run). I mean, there are quite a few Ammys all over Yharnam and with one notable exception they kind of just idly swat at you if you stand in the wrong place if they do anything at all. Since the only entities referred to directly as Nightmares are Murgo, who presumably dies with Wet Nurse, and the Presence, which I think indicates that they are Great Ones or at least on that level, NF Ammy isn't a Great One. But it reacts to you so differently!

On a related note, I think Frenzy would have worked better if it just rose really really slowly whenever you had LoS to any visible Kin, and quickly when hit by their attacks. The damage would need rebalancing, but I think that would have been a better representation of a Lovecraftian sanity meter. Imagine entering Yahar'gul after Rom and having your Frenzy slowly and ominously build every time you were outside...

Two things...well...more then that.
    Yeah, it's a good chance that Ammy Prime and the other lesser Ammy's hanging out in Cathedral Ward and Yara'Ghul(sp?) are all Greater Kin/Lesser Great Ones, possibly like Ebretis? They all have a similar thing going on with their heads, which also calls into question what YOU become when you eat the umbilical cords, because you look nothing like them, and are, perhaps, 100% pure Great One nightmare shit, possibly.

2. On your second point
    GOD I wish they did that, just have the Frenzy meter ominously increasing in the presence of anything totally batshit. Not quickly, and the Frenzy meter would go down if you were, say, indoors and not witnessing crazy shit. But yeah. With certain enemies causing it to increase faster like bird-dogs and dog-birds and Pigs with EYES hhmmmm yes. I know why they integrated it like they did, they wanted certain enemies to just cause your character to go "NOPE CAN'T HANDLE THIS NOPE", but really, the whole endgame is "NOPE CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS NOPE"

Lastly, on a completly different note, the relationship of Beasthood with Insight.
    It's beautiful, really. Lose insight, and you're more suseptible to Oedeon's influence. Gain insight, and you become more resistant, but, more importantly, go crazy and are more vulnerable to straight up losing your shit on occasion, since you can properly comprehend what's going on. Which makes the first half of the game make sense, as you primarily deal with beasts, and as you progress and gain more understanding about the world around you your sort of, "transcend" the beast problem and get to the core issues of the world.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Or(late game spoiler)

If The Hunt is a recurring event though, how does that coincide with everyone in Yharnam dying over the course of the game? The Red Moon should occur on every cycle.

My other questions with the plot, that were probably already answered elsewhere but it's hard to browse amongst spoiler tags, are such:
    1. What is the purpose of the beast plague?

2. Why must the Palemoon/Moon Presence orchestrate Mergo's death?

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Artereis wrote: »
    • Blood-Starved Beast
    • Witch of Hemwick
    You can do the first fight for Eileen's quest and you can kill the boss of Hypogean as well (don't have to just get the lamp).

Did you find the Abandoned Old Workshop?
    I never noticed Eileen standing in the Cathedral Ward, but I definitely spoke to her back in Central and got her emote. I'll have to go back and look for her. I've also been down where the workshop is but never saw the door for it because I just ended up going all the way down to get the beast rune and open that area beyond his door.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Re: Beasthood
    What the hell is it? I've never seen a negative effect of it. Is it a mechanic? I've never used a Beast Blood Pellet either.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

Nah, I'm fairly certain that
    All of Yharnam is preserved in the multiverse spanning dream. The only times we see the real world are in the very beginning with the Blood Minister and at the very end of that ending.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

Or(late game spoiler)

If The Hunt is a recurring event though, how does that coincide with everyone in Yharnam dying over the course of the game? The Red Moon should occur on every cycle.

My other questions with the plot, that were probably already answered elsewhere but it's hard to browse amongst spoiler tags, are such:
    1. What is the purpose of the beast plague?

2. Why must the Palemoon/Moon Presence orchestrate Mergo's death?

Your questions

The Hunt is a recurring event:

The last time the red moon went up, the entierty of Old Yharnam succumbed to the beast plauge. The powder kegs, along with Djura(Who was a hunter who could still dream, who was bro's with the kegs) went down there and cleaned house. This is when the kegs, collectivly, realized that the beast plauge weren't just random beasts showing up at all, that they were all people, transformed into monstrosities. Before then, I would wager a guess, it was in very rare circumstances beasts showed up, and it would be easy to mistake them for invaders since the probably killed everyone who knew them.

One of the things we don't know, is how that specific Hunt was ended, and, more importantly, why did the Blood Moon descend that night. It's pretty much the most important event in Yharnam history(and one that will probably be explored in DLC).

What is the purpose of the beast plauge:

One of the Odeon runes states something along the lines of Odeon's "Unwitting" worshippers and followers. Odeon is formless, however is one of the most mentioned Great Ones in the game, and is perhaps, the most powerful Great One.

What's venerated in Yharnam?

Blood ministration, and the Healing Church. More common and more intoxicating than alchohol.

The "Good Blood" that the healing church found, that healed nearly all diseases? More then likley blood strongly influenced by Odeon. It wasn't until later, like, your character's era(I'm guessing the past year or so) that people started putting together the link between Blood Ministration and beasthood.

The "Good Blood" is what caused the beast outbreak in Old Yharnam. People were suffering from a painful affliction called the "Ashen Blood Plague", which the church was treating by giving the citizens an EXTREME amount of blood in order to treat the symptoms. Which, lead to most, if not all the citizens afflicted into becoming beasts.

Basically speaking, the Beastplauge, and all of it's transformative properties, are symptoms of the influence of the Great Ones.

You either become closer to them("evolving" into Kin, which is why, in False Iosefka's dialogue, she says, "SEE! I'm no simple beast! I'm different, I'm special! Chosen!"), or you fall to Odeon's influence, and become a Beast.

However, there is a third....option, so to speak.

The Moon and You: A Handy guide
    Normally, when you consume too much Yharnam Blood, you lose yourself to Odeon's influence and become a horrible beast.

Normally.

There is something else that can happen, however. An event that is shown to you at literally the beginning of the game.

You see the beast(Odeon) reaching out to you, not to claw and maim, but almost to embrace you. It forms out of a puddle of blood, and I strongly suspect, if not for the messenger's intervening, you would have become a werewolf type beast.

Instead, however, the messenger's find and embrace you. When you die, instead of, you know, dying, your body is transported to the Hunter's dream.

The Hunter's posses an interesting dichotomy. They have an extreme reliance on blood, moreso then any Yharno, however, they are not transformed, at least, not initially. Their abilities are strengthend far beyond that of a normal human, even beyond a normal infected beast/man hybrid, and they are able to ingest blood near endlessly without any initial ill effects.

However, eventually, A Hunter will succumb to Odeon's influence and become a beast, and Hunter's, specifically, make the WORST beasts, because they have consumed so much blood that's directly influenced by Odeon.

HOWEVER, this, can be counteracted, by gaining Insight. The more you discover and uncover about the world, the less susepctible(And less effective) you are to falling to beasthood, however, the more insight you have, the more understanding you get, the closer you are to the Great Ones, and you are more vulnerable to going completly insane.

HOWEVER, no matter how much understanding you get, you don't become Kin, like Ebritas and Ammy and the like. Insight dosen't effect you like it does those who attempted to "line their brains with eyes".

It's almost like, their bodies were incapable of handling the transformation of their minds, which resulted in severe mutations and at most times, loss of self.

But you, the player character, are a bit different. In the secret ending, you, become like Mergo and Odeon, a true Great One.

Mergo was a perfect union of a Phtnumerian(that's so wrong) woman who's body was so completly consumed by Odeon that through her, he was able to father a child, even though he had no form, birthing...or, rather, stillbirthing Mergo. Something happend to postpone that birth(And one could speculate that was Rom), however, Mergo would be that perfect union of a mind of a great one, with the body that could handle that presence.

You, the player, are akin to Mergo(after getting the true ending).

Your body is thourouly influenced by the great ones, while your mind is lined with eyes and "true" understanding of them.

So much so, that you're able to withstand, and, IMPROBABLY, kill Mergo's physical form, and resist and kill Moon Presence, the driving force of the dream.

It would stand to assume that you have, and do, become even greater than something that was closest to a literal Great One, in it's realm of power, and the only thing more powerful then that is Odeon.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

All of Yharnam is preserved in the multiverse spanning dream. The only times we see the real world are in the very beginning with the Blood Minister and at the very end of that ending.
    Can't really say you're wrong, but then most of the game loses a lot of its narrative impact. It makes the first ending literally, It was all just a bad dream, which is very unsatisfying. I took it that the dreams were just extra dimensional spaces, places that exist on top of or are connected to the real world. The fact half of the college of brygenworth gets pulled into the nightmare suggests its at least as real as the Yharnam that you spend most of the game in. My interpretation of the events was, hunters through blood transfusion get connected to the hunter's dream, which gives them power through blood to take down the nightmare creatures and beasts brought about from the moon. Getting killed in the hunters dream severs this connection and thus you just "wake up" back in Yharnam. Micolash mentions something similar when you kill him, about waking up and forgetting, and several of the hunters you meet ask if you still dream (after they killed the hunter, I remember some of these well). Thus to me Gheram uses hunters to end the current blights then mercifully kills them so they aren't stuck in the dream like he is. In the end the 2nd ending is you sparing him from the long night and freeing him as he has mentioned how tired he is of the dream (hence Honoring wishes trophy) but the hunters dream still needs a host to exist so the moon presence scoops you up in Gherams place.

• Options

I just don't think so.
    If that's the case, most of the game's plot doesn't make sense. If the Yharnam we know is a dream, then there would've been no need for Byrgenwerth to have uncovered the great ones in the catacombs and unleashed all this shit on the world. The great ones could've just made whatever they wanted happen in their dream world. Why would all the hunters like Eileen or Djura exist in the dream world but have been cut off from the hunter's dream if Yharnam is just a dream? Why would people come from all over to get blood healing? Why would it matter that Eileen and those others can die in Yharnam and they'll just stay dead?

We know the great ones influence the world, but I think it's pretty clear from the rest of the game that they're influencing the "real world" and that it's not all just some dreams within dreams inception thing. I just don't think there's any evidence at all to support the game being all a dream.

Especially not if you're talking about the blood minister saying whatever happens you may think it all a bad dream. He's just talking about the act of getting the blood transfusion, which is going to make you see some shit, which you do. You see "beasthood" coming for you before the blood staves it off temporarily in a kind of hallucination. But then you wake up in the same place, and that same guy is dead on the floor to the very real werewolf in the next room.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Is anyone a blunderbuss/Ludwig rifle devotee

I haven't used either much, but I'm curious what they bring to the table. The pistol is your bog-standard parry machine, Evelyn and the repeater are the damage options...

The shotguns seem like they don't have much of a niche

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I used the Ludwig Rifle for my NG playthrough and most of my NG+ playthrough, but then I realized the pistol has a more flexible parry window and also does a lot more damage from mid range when you ash it. I have no bloodtinge in my build so none of my guns do damage except the cannon, but at least the pistol still does respectable damage when I ash it. The rifle didn't unless you shoot it point blank and hit with all the bullets.

I don't think the shotgun type guns really bring anything useful to the table, outside of maybe slightly staggering multiple enemies in the spread, but it's not worth using them for.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    Is anyone a blunderbuss/Ludwig rifle devotee

I haven't used either much, but I'm curious what they bring to the table. The pistol is your bog-standard parry machine, Evelyn and the repeater are the damage options...

The shotguns seem like they don't have much of a niche

Spread. Love the spread.

If you notice, shots where you're dodging into the direction your opponent is moving are usually scary accurate.

While the pistol is better for just spamming trying to catch a heal, a properly timed shotty read WILL catch it and WILL interrupt it. It dosen't even have to riposte, it'll just straight up interrupt the heal if you somehow are too early on the parry window.

They are also flustrating, because, well, remember rifle spear guy? Spamming shotgun blasts away with a spread so wide you can only dodge it by going through it with a properly timed dodge, otherwise you get mini-staggered in place?

Imagine that.

But with a tinge shotty build doing actual damage.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Pistol is super good if you're helping Eileen out.

Stand to the side and toss some bullets out, if you stagger yellow boy, Eileen will move in for a visceral.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Build advice?

My arcane build has been super viable so far, to my surprise, even without the clinic shortcut. The damage boost on the Hunter's Torch was really noticeable in Old Yharnam, for example, and you can get a decent fire waning gem right after BSB. A fire LHB/Tonitrus pair is monstrous, but I'm really conflicted. Tonitrus is nice even if its moveset is limited, mostly because the transform is a temp damage buff that gives it 2h kind of damage with 1h speed and a sidearm. LHB slaughters everything, but 2h feels slow and limited even if it does give great regain. My first build was a skill BoM build so I guess I'm more used to rapid attacks and responsiveness, so I feel like I'm overcommitting with every LHB attack and I'm often punished for it. I'm tempted to swap back to cleaver for a better balance but the drop in sheet damage is not inconsiderable...

Does a fire/bolt gem change all damage scaling to arcane or is LHB doing more damage just because its base arcane scaling is higher?

• Options
    I don't know that the great olds are necessarily smart or scheming in any particular way that would be recognisable to us. They influence by existing.

• Options
    Huggles wrote: »
    Build advice?

My arcane build has been super viable so far, to my surprise, even without the clinic shortcut. The damage boost on the Hunter's Torch was really noticeable in Old Yharnam, for example, and you can get a decent fire waning gem right after BSB. A fire LHB/Tonitrus pair is monstrous, but I'm really conflicted. Tonitrus is nice even if its moveset is limited, mostly because the transform is a temp damage buff that gives it 2h kind of damage with 1h speed and a sidearm. LHB slaughters everything, but 2h feels slow and limited even if it does give great regain. My first build was a skill BoM build so I guess I'm more used to rapid attacks and responsiveness, so I feel like I'm overcommitting with every LHB attack and I'm often punished for it. I'm tempted to swap back to cleaver for a better balance but the drop in sheet damage is not inconsiderable...

Does a fire/bolt gem change all damage scaling to arcane or is LHB doing more damage just because its base arcane scaling is higher?

To answer your question in bold, both. The gems change all scaling to the arcane type. but LHB has higher arcane damage than other weapons too, just baked into it, so it will always do more damage than if you arcane gem another weapon.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    What we're all learning here is that LHB is far and away the best weapon in the game, and will get subsequently nerfed in to the ground when From starts looking at balance.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    What we're all learning here is that LHB is far and away the best weapon in the game, and will get subsequently nerfed in to the ground when From starts looking at balance.

I will shout this to the rooftops.....

So that they can ignore The Hunter's Axe not so secretly being the best actual weapon in the game.
    So that they can ignore the Rifle Spear being the ACTUAL best weapon in the game.
    So they can ACTUALLY ignore the Evelyn being the most broken, overpowered piece of shit in the game
    So that they can continue to ignore Bone Ash being secretly the most imbalanced mechanic in the game

• Options
    Stun into bone ash cannon ends pvp instantly.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Just got the game and am enjoying it in general, though I'm just now running into an issue where I have TONS of blood vials stocked up, but there aren't restocking in my inventory when I go to the hunter's dream, and I can't move them out of the storage box. Is that really a game breaking bug, or am I missing something here?

Edit: Whelp, now i reloaded and there are zero blood vials in storage. I had, like, 90 of the damn things. What the hell?

Edit2: And now I"ve decided to try summing a co op partner for the third boss, since the game deleted ALL of my healing items...and now summoning isn't working either. What a train wreck of a game.
    Surprise! You aren't playing Bloodborne, you're actually playing Eternal Darkness.

I've never heard of anyone experiencing that. Are you positive you had that many Blood Vials? Are you sure you weren't looking at the maximum you could have stored? I feel like you would have been playing rather weird to have 90 blood vials in stock before the third boss.

What about summoning isn't working for you? Just not finding someone? Or are you not able to ring at all? Make sure you've restarted your PS4 recently and didn't use Rest Mode, that breaks matchmaking for Bloodborne. Also, if it's the third boss that's actually the third boss (assuming you haven't missed one, that is), there's an NPC summon in that area if you're desperate.
    Thanks, the summoning tip is good, I was using Rest mode. Though, yeah, I am sure that I had tons more blood vials, and they're just gone. Apparently there is some sort of bug, I've seen more reports out on the internet of it happening as well. That's a big one.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Just got the game and am enjoying it in general, though I'm just now running into an issue where I have TONS of blood vials stocked up, but there aren't restocking in my inventory when I go to the hunter's dream, and I can't move them out of the storage box. Is that really a game breaking bug, or am I missing something here?

Edit: Whelp, now i reloaded and there are zero blood vials in storage. I had, like, 90 of the damn things. What the hell?

Edit2: And now I"ve decided to try summing a co op partner for the third boss, since the game deleted ALL of my healing items...and now summoning isn't working either. What a train wreck of a game.
    Surprise! You aren't playing Bloodborne, you're actually playing Eternal Darkness.

I've never heard of anyone experiencing that. Are you positive you had that many Blood Vials? Are you sure you weren't looking at the maximum you could have stored? I feel like you would have been playing rather weird to have 90 blood vials in stock before the third boss.

What about summoning isn't working for you? Just not finding someone? Or are you not able to ring at all? Make sure you've restarted your PS4 recently and didn't use Rest Mode, that breaks matchmaking for Bloodborne. Also, if it's the third boss that's actually the third boss (assuming you haven't missed one, that is), there's an NPC summon in that area if you're desperate.
    Thanks, the summoning tip is good, I was using Rest mode. Though, yeah, I am sure that I had tons more blood vials, and they're just gone. Apparently there is some sort of bug, I've seen more reports out on the internet of it happening as well. That's a big one.

If it's the same bug I've had before, you didn't actually have that many vials, so it's no biggie. Just a display bug. Gathering up over 90 vials that early in the game is really unlikely.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Hahahahahahaha, no.

That belongs to Blades of Mercy (dps) or Reiter (utility). :P

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Deans wrote: »

If it's the same bug I've had before, you didn't actually have that many vials, so it's no biggie. Just a display bug. Gathering up over 90 vials that early in the game is really unlikely.
    I'm pretty sure i had tons in storage, but hey maybe I was wrong. It look like summoning buddies is still broken, though. I've lost 7 insight to just...not getting any matches. Right in front of boss gates. Even without using the PS4 rest mode.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

I'm pretty sure i had tons in storage, but hey maybe I was wrong. It look like summoning buddies is still broken, though. I've lost 7 insight to just...not getting any matches. Right in front of boss gates. Even without using the PS4 rest mode.

You could also be over/under levelled for the boss.

• Options
    Maybe. Sorry to complain, it's just super annoying running into this stuff right and left. Demon's and Dark Souls are two of my favorite games of all time, but this is just not clicking for me. All irritation and no satisfaction.