As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer only runs in safe mode due to BSOD. Windows hotfix for BSOD cant run in Safe Mode

TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
While in the middle of updating my drivers, BIOS, and other apps with Gigabyte's App Center, I got a BSOD with code 0x0000003B.
A computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 may crash when you use some IEEE 1394 devices.

I don't have any IEEE 1394 devices nor any firewire ports. My motherboard only has USB and Thunderbolt. I'd think that implies that the Gigabyte App Center Installed a wrong driver, but given that it correctly autodetected my motherboard model (GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 ) I'm inclined to trust it.

Now my computer gets the same BSOD seconds after I do a normal boot into Windows 7.

In my infinite wisdom I disabled system restore points for windows in order to save room on my tiny SSD so that's out. In fact, nothing in startup repair even helps. A clean boot won't work either. Safe mode works at least and that's how I'm posting now.

So I found a hotfix for windows (kb980932) that should fix the issue, but when trying to install it in safe mode I get the error
Installer encountered an error: 0x8007043c
This service cannot be started in Safe Mode.

Obviously I can't install it during a normal windows session because I get a BSOD. I tried reenabling Windows Installer in safe mode via a registry key added through the command prompt, but that didn't seem to help at all.

At this point I can neither think of any other options nor can I find them on Google. Is there a way to run the hotfix in neither windows nor safe mode? Maybe I could reenable the required service through command prompt by adding a registry key?

Could I have overlooked a simpler solution?

Or is it just time to reformat my system partition? I really don't want to reformat my system partition.

(I can never figure out if these tech help threads are better suited for Moe's or H/A)

EH28YFo.jpg
Taranis on

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    It sounds like Thunderbolt is being mistaken for FireWire (somehow). Can you disable that port/controller in the BIOS? If so, that might help you get past it.

Alternatively, you could patch the system yourself from Safe Mode, but... that's all kinds of complicated in Win7 and a bad idea in general. Have you tried upgrading Windows 7 to itself? That might also work, but it would leave your system needing all those patches again.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah sounds like it installed the driver for Firewire to the thunderbolt device. There's a really good chance that the firewire and thunderbolt are using the same onboard systems.

Boot into safe mode, remove the driver for the thunderbolt device, reboot, and see if that gets you into windows at least.

If not, a fresh install would at least get you in a usable state.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    It sounds like Thunderbolt is being mistaken for FireWire (somehow). Can you disable that port/controller in the BIOS? If so, that might help you get past it.

Alternatively, you could patch the system yourself from Safe Mode, but... that's all kinds of complicated in Win7 and a bad idea in general. Have you tried upgrading Windows 7 to itself? That might also work, but it would leave your system needing all those patches again.

There's no option to disable Thunderbolt in the BIOS, only options to adjust its settings (none of which could disable it).

I'm assuming upgrading Windows to itself is similar to a fresh install, but selecting upgrade instead? I'd just need to get a Win 7 iso and boot from that?
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah sounds like it installed the driver for Firewire to the thunderbolt device. There's a really good chance that the firewire and thunderbolt are using the same onboard systems.

Boot into safe mode, remove the driver for the thunderbolt device, reboot, and see if that gets you into windows at least.

What's the Thunderbolt controller labelled as in Device Manager? I can't find anything clearly marked as Thunderbolt. I'm guessing it's some sort of PCI device?

Really I know nothing about Thunderbolt as I haven't ever had the opportunity to use it.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    Ouch, it sounds from your post that Windows isn't seeing or doesn't have a driver for that device to begin with.

Installing Windows 7 as an upgrade works similarly to installing Window XP on top of itself as an upgrade: you use the same product key as your existing copy, use a USB drive or DVD to start a fresh install, let it find the previous installation, pick Upgrade, and you should end up with a fresh Windows 7 install with all of your files and some of your settings and programs still installed.

Note that many programs don't handle this process well, so you will still need to install some of them. Also have a good backup of all your important files on a drive that's not connected to your PC when you try this.

It's definitely not as seamless as it used to be and sometimes the re-install misses / forgets to copy over files and settings. But it's worth a try since you won't need to do as much work as a fresh install.

Note that all updates will be removed if you do this, and you'll need to get them again.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

There's no option to disable Thunderbolt in the BIOS, only options to adjust its settings (none of which could disable it).

I'm assuming upgrading Windows to itself is similar to a fresh install, but selecting upgrade instead? I'd just need to get a Win 7 iso and boot from that?
    bowen wrote: »

What's the Thunderbolt controller labelled as in Device Manager? I can't find anything clearly marked as Thunderbolt. I'm guessing it's some sort of PCI device?

Really I know nothing about Thunderbolt as I haven't ever had the opportunity to use it.

Each device is different. You might actually see a category like "IEEE1394" in your list:

zkxo9rO.png

It might also be under "System Devices" similar to this:

ZcysnTq.png

If you see either one of those, remove the driver for it and reboot into windows normally and see if it bluescreens still.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    No dice on either.

I found a Thunderbolt program and uninstalled that as well as the only Thunderbolt registry key I could find.

Nothing.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The FireWire thing could very well be a red herring. That error code is just a system service exception, not necessarily tied to firewire. If you have another computer available you can try to grab the crash dump file off the hard drive and analyze it using windbg or another debugging tool. It can get pretty deep, but to just find the name of the executable that's usually at fault is pretty easy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Alternatively, since it happened while updating drivers, grab the latest drivers from Gigabyte, and burn them to a CD or put them on a USB stick, and try and get the drivers to properly install.
    It could be something like when the driver was installing it had to stop the ACPI service or something to update, and something caused the BSOD before it was able to get the files in place to allow it to properly start again.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tofys is probably right:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1125394-bluescreen-0x0000003b.html

Looks like there's a few things that can cause it, in this person's case, it was MBAM.

• Options
    You could even open up the services control panel by opening a command prompt and typing services.msc and starting services until it crashes. A lot of them won't start in safe mode, like the one in the hotfix, but it could be one that will and is just disabled in safe mode. Then you could change the startup type on the service to manual and see if that helps.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Alternatively, since it happened while updating drivers, grab the latest drivers from Gigabyte, and burn them to a CD or put them on a USB stick, and try and get the drivers to properly install.
    It could be something like when the driver was installing it had to stop the ACPI service or something to update, and something caused the BSOD before it was able to get the files in place to allow it to properly start again.

On this note I went and uninstalled everything the Gigabyte app center had installed and now it's working fine with a normal boot. I feel like I should have thought of that from the start.

I'm probably going to go back and install them one by one this time in case I run into an error again.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg