As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    2012 was a very interesting year and could probably have gone to any one of the top drivers. Alonso narrowly missed out, but Hamilton's luck that year was horrendous. Well, that and McLaren were seemingly incapable of putting a car together. One of my lasting memories of that season is Hamilton walking away from his car in Singapore after the gearbox had broke while he was comfortably leading. It was also the last season McLaren had a race winning car.

2013 could have been close. Red Bull had an advantage, but it wasn't massive - right up until Pirelli changed the tyres after the silverstone fiasco. After that Vettel won all but one of the races.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular

Pastor Maldando won a race

Whats not to like?

You said it right there!!!! :)

So glad he isn't in F1 anymore.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I dunno. Seems like everyone is picking up the slack now that Maldanado isn't racing anymore. Basically every race this season has had some boneheaded first lap shenanigans.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    So, I hope people don't mind, but I'm going to ask a lot of these. TL:DR on Maldanado? He cause a lot of accidents?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So, I hope people don't mind, but I'm going to ask a lot of these. TL:DR on Maldanado? He cause a lot of accidents?

You could say that.

His full name is Pastor Maldonado. He is commonly referred to as Crashtor.

Out of the 95 Formula 1 races he participated in he crashed out 15 times. Not to mention the numerous times he crashed in Practice or Quali and the times he crashed in races but didn't retire.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    There's a reason there's sites like this.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    There are also some useful compilations.

It wasn't just that he crashed, but that the majority of them were his own fault and really were pre-F1 rookie level stuff. He was kept around for ages because he brought loads of money to teams that needed it.

• Options
    yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Speaking of crashes, here's what happened at Formula 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nR7a0DXXko

Goddamn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    holy s.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Makes you wonder if they should replace the gravel traps with a different material to stop kicking up dust.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Would rubber mulch work? Just collect all the marbles after a race. :P

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    No qualifying talk from me yet - watching C4's highlights show now - but the "halo" head protection system has been agreed for 2017. It was easier to work it into the aerodynamic design of the cars in the time the team's have left. The "aeroscreen" that Red Bull proposed - definitely my preference of the two - is still going to be worked on with a view to potential introduction in 2018.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36404898

• Options
    XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    Quali results:
    uFS9Ovf.jpg

Thoughts: Impressive laps from Ricciardo and Hülkenberg. Ferrari don't look quite as terrible as I expected after FP1/2, but there is a pretty clear gap between them and the Mercs and RBs. Should be a pretty easy win for Ricciardo tomorrow unless RB royally screw up his strategy.

I don't expect RB to be able to keep up these kinds of performances at most other tracks, the Renault engine will probably keep them from competing with the Mercs almost everywhere else. They'll probably beat Ferrari over the rest of the season, though.

In non-F1 news the 24h at the Nürburgring is going on right now, with a little over 19 hours left. There was an early red flag that lasted for about 3 hours earlier as a result of strong rain and hail that left parts of the track looking like they were covered with snow. Now other parts of the track are in thick fog. Just over 140 cars still running (out of 155), but that number will probably go down quite a bit during the night.

Live stream of the greatest motorsports event of the year here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zspyrZ07Ok

• Options
    Quick question:

If they have to start the race with the tires of their best time in Q2, and they were on softs, but it's raining tomorrow, do they still have to start on softs? That sounds dangerous.

• Options
    JammersJammers Registered User regular
    If it's a wet session they're allowed to change tyres to wets\inters.

Xbox Live - Jammers007
    Nintendo Network ID - Jammers007
    3DS - 1418-6751-8378
    Steam - Jammers007
  • Options
    So that's interesting, and could be a gamble for running harder in Q2. Hmmm.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Quick question:

If they have to start the race with the tires of their best time in Q2, and they were on softs, but it's raining tomorrow, do they still have to start on softs? That sounds dangerous.

All tire rules go out the window if it's declared a wet race. No more requirement to start on q2 tires. No requirement to run two different compounds.

edit: And yes it's basically because of safety. In wet conditions there's often only one tire it's really safe to be on so they can't force the use of anything else.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    30 mins to go and it sounds like it's going to be a wet race. Anyone want to guess how many red flags we'll see?

• Options
    As many as they like. So long as no-one gets hurt, I'm all for some decent wet weather crashes.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    For a second there
    I thought it was Magnussen who had just switched tires who immediately crashed, but it was his teammate.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Jeez Raikonnen!
    Just spread that frontwing all accross the track.

• Options
    Rosberg's pace is embarrassing.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Nice action by Verstappen.

edit: Times 2 :)

edit number 2: Times 3 :D

Dizzy D on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    A lot of switching around here.
    And a terrible pitstop for Ricciardo

Dizzy D on
  • Options
    Aw.....
    Verstappen out of the race. Same spot he crashed in the qualifying?

• Options
    I'm reduced to reading liveblogs for now.
    And I've lost count of how many retirements there've been!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Aw.....
    Verstappen out of the race. Same spot he crashed in the qualifying?
    No, but the same corner he crashed in on Friday.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Achem....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

• Options
    Red Bull say the tyres were stuck at the back of the garage. Because apparently they've never been to Monaco before? :?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Indy 500
    So Alexander Rossi leaves F1 and wins the 100th Indy 500 on his first try by going 2 laps further on fuel than anyone else thought was possible. What a way to finish that race.

If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it. Now.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Ok so the Indy 500 made up for F1 so far. Plus WEC was crazy last night. Maybe NASCAR will complete an almost entirely good weekend.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Indy could teach a thing or two about close racing and high aerogrip to F1. I will concede that Indy Cars are not true open wheel race cars anymore, but if they are hell bent on upping the aerogrip that's probably where it goes.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Gutted for danny. Still good points though in the long run. At least it only cost him 1 position unlike Spa last year when all the the electronics shut off and cost him possibly a second place finish.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Danny was robbed. By his own team. I get what happened in Spain, covering the opposition's strategy, but this was rank incompetence. Shocking.

Not to take anything away from Lewis' drive, though. That was a triple champion's drive. When Danny was hounding him, before he dropped off at the end (tyres probably shot), I was thinking Senna and Mansell in '92. Epic battle.

Good day for Force India, too. They deserved it.

Six for six in great races this year.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Quite happy I don't watch F1 anymore, because that would have made me furious.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Just finished the DVR, and wow, that pit stop. I mean, I don't even know what to think. I hate to say robbed, because it was his team, but the driver has to be ferrous.

And from the stream I watched, they were talking about how they were setting up for all possibilities in the pit, but they weren't ready.

DyasAlure on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Wooo! Go Perez! Go Alonso!

Amateur hour in the Red Bull box? Man, what a missed opportunity to have Danny at the top again.

As far as Monaco goes, this was a very interesting race. Sauber's "fun" little incident, Kimi surfing on his wing...

Also: what a bad time the Ferrari teams are having lately. Of all the guys ready to take the fight to Merc, I thought it was going to be them to make them sweat, but it seems they can't even quite beat Red Bull all of a sudden.

EDIT: Hadn't seen this talked about here, but it seems next year's tires were unveiled at Monaco. Wider and with a slightly bigger diameter, it seems they would be the perfect way to start bringing aero down. Except it seems they're going to up aero too... errrr.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    The game F1 2016 has been announced.

Safety car is back, VSC is being introduced. Career mode returns in a ten-season format. There's a points-based car upgrade system, track acclimatisation tests, customisable avatars and "hospitality areas that act as your game hub and allow you to progress both on and off the track", which makes me wonder if they're going to re-try the "live the life" idea they did in 2010-11.

Of course, it looks very pretty:

bcw2plhetw8l.jpg

Release date TBA, but probably summer. Coming to PC, Xbox One and PS4.

Let's hope it turns out better than the last couple of years' editions.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Does it have split screen so that GiantBomb can use it for their track walk throughs?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    My only question: Does it support the Rift or Vive? Or both?

This discussion has been closed.