As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    The rule changes for radio messages are complete overkill for something that was never really a problem anyway.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Nova_C wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    World Endurance Championship, just another FIA discipline. The LMP1-H cars are as or more complicated than F1 cars, and they get constant feedback from race engineers on how to manage the car, sometimes even from corner to corner. Also every car has 3 drivers running stints, so it's inherently a team sport with everyone from the drivers, to the engineers, to the mechanics centered around the car and keeping it running and running quick, not just the drivers themselves.
    World Endurance Championship. Stuff like 24 hours Le Mans. It's good stuff and for $50 you can get live streaming of all their races for a year.

I love le Mans, I haven't watched this weekends, but have it on the DVR. i will have to check this out. My big thing, can I get it on demand, or record it. I rarely have time to sit down to watch a live event, and frequently racing takes up 2-3 days for one race.

The app (I have it on iOS, but I think it's on Android as well) is really good. I watched parts of Le Mans while at work on my iPad. It has highlights and you can replay the whole race I think.

The 24h Le Mans app?

Edit:
    That must be the one. For $30 you can get all the races, that isn't a bad price.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Yea, you can also buy the sub through the app and just login with your pc as well. Much easier than trying to buy it on the website since they'll probably flag your credit card, as the purchase is from france where the FIA is :p

(ask me how I know!)

The streams are p good quality too, I watched the entire 24h because I am an actual insane human being and only had a couple times when the video got a bit chunky. The WEC commentators aren't as good as Radio Le Mans, but I ran out of fucks trying to sync them up this year.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    The only problem I have with concerns about the radio ban is that last race, Nico had warnings which were lighting up his steering wheel, and the pit couldn't tell him anything.

And according to Lauda, both Mercs had the exact same problem this race, but Nico just dealt with it where Hamilton bitched about it more.

And suddenly Sky is all over how the radio ban is terrible... as soon as it affects Ham. Who also Sky spends 90% of their time either making excuses for or talking about how he's the best driver who's ever lived.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Raikkonen had a similar conversation with the box, too, If I remember correctly.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    The problem the Mercs had was that at least one of the engine modes was configured incorrectly, causing a loss of power. Hamilton started the race in the faulty mode, so didn't know it was the problem. Rosberg switched into that mode later in the race, lost power and had warnings, so just switched back out again. Circumstances just made it a ton easier for Rosberg to spot the problem.

Raikkonen did have a similar conversation. They couldn't even tell him if it was the same problem as the previous race.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I don't even understand how they could need to have like 100 different engine mappings available from the steering wheel during the race.

Fuel consumption mostly these days. If they ran at full power constantly they'd be dry long before the end. There's also stuff like how you want the car to harvest and deploy energy, like saving some extra power for a straight to make passing easier.

Edit: Just to add there's a whole host of things they can do with the engine setup to optimize it for whatever conditions they're running in - stuff like ignition timing, fuel flow etc. An example of when they might need a different setting is under safety car conditions.

Sure, I get that they have different mappings for different situations. I just don't get why there are so many - one thing I read described it as one dial with 16 positions, and another dial with 20 positions to modify EACH of those 16! Sure, you can have a mapping for every conceivable situation that might present itself - and then the downside is that if your driver accidentally flips the wrong switch he can't figure out how to get to the mapping he needs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yea, you can also buy the sub through the app and just login with your pc as well. Much easier than trying to buy it on the website since they'll probably flag your credit card, as the purchase is from france where the FIA is :p

(ask me how I know!)

The streams are p good quality too, I watched the entire 24h because I am an actual insane human being and only had a couple times when the video got a bit chunky. The WEC commentators aren't as good as Radio Le Mans, but I ran out of fucks trying to sync them up this year.

I was listening to the WEC commentators as well, which gives you team radio, which had the best playback of the 100% deadpan race director (To the best of my memory):
    Team director team seven. Team director team seven. Can you please ask your driver if he's having a problem identifying the blue flags being shown to him?

• Options

(ask me how I know!)

I was listening to the WEC commentators as well, which gives you team radio, which had the best playback of the 100% deadpan race director (To the best of my memory):
    Team director team seven. Team director team seven. Can you please ask your driver if he's having a problem identifying the blue flags being shown to him?

Eduardo is an international treasure. That was the best shade I've ever seen thrown at an LMP1 team and I've listened to him for many years as WEC race director. Poor #1 Porsche.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    F1 2016 the game will be out August 19th.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Will be in Italy on vacation during the Italian GP... Attempt to convince wife to take time out of our vacation to go to Monza for the race has failed spectacularly. :(

• Options
    Changing conditions always make for good qualifying and yesterday was no exception. And Rosberg and Vettel having grid penalties just mixes it up even more. It would be nice to see Hulkenberg and Button manage to get something out of their excellent grid positions.

• Options
    What a pathetic crowd.
    The final lap incident is entirely on Rosberg, he simply didn't bother turning into the corner at all. Hamilton also has every right to be pissed at merc for completely screwing him on strategy.

• Options
    That was monumentally stupid from Rosberg, and I don't buy the brake trouble excuse.

Hell of a drive by Verstappen though.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Damn max, a few more and you end up 5th place.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    What a pathetic crowd.
    The final lap incident is entirely on Rosberg, he simply didn't bother turning into the corner at all. Hamilton also has every right to be pissed at merc for completely screwing him on strategy.
    Hamilton's a heel, though. From what I understand, Rossberg got penalized. Hamilton has pulled the same shit and knocked Rossberg out of podium contention before and not a peep from FIA about it. As much as this accident was 100% Rossberg's fault, fuck Hamilton, his kind of douchebaggery is not good for the sport.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I described the incident to my wife as "Rosberg pulled a Hamilton" and she knew exactly what I meant.

Hamilton has so many times just taken the entire track and decided that Rosberg needed to back off, that when it happened in reverse, even if Rosberg should've turned earlier, I can't help but still think that he left more room than Hamilton has when a similar situation has happened.

Also, Merc went with the strategy for each driver that would give that driver the best chance of winning, and they're under no obligation to let Ham win, since Rosberg is still leading in WDC.

• Options
    What a pathetic crowd.
    Hamilton's a heel, though. From what I understand, Rossberg got penalized. Hamilton has pulled the same shit and knocked Rossberg out of podium contention before and not a peep from FIA about it. As much as this accident was 100% Rossberg's fault, fuck Hamilton, his kind of douchebaggery is not good for the sport.
    hamilton has almost single handedly pushed me away from F1. I hate him and his style of driving. He never gives anyone space, and then cries like a baby whenever anyone doesn't give him space. He's an ass

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    There's a huge difference between drifting to the outside on the exit of a corner and simply not bothering to turn though. The latter is much more deliberate and much more likely to cause an accident.

Rosberg, as ever, runs off and refuses to take any responsibility whatsoever.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It won't happen but it would be delicious if their rivalry escalated so much that Seb or Kimi were able to clinch the championship.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    There's a huge difference between drifting to the outside on the exit of a corner and simply not bothering to turn though. The latter is much more deliberate and much more likely to cause an accident.

Rosberg, as ever, runs off and refuses to take any responsibility whatsoever.

Generally accepted rules by the drivers are:
    Denying room on the exit when your opponent is behind is accepted as tough driving. (if they're ahead or alongside though you have to give them room)
    Denying room on entry is a no go in any circumstance.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    AngryToto.gif

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Was worse than early career Hamilton. The onboard where he only goes from half to full lock after the contact is damning as fuck.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Eh, Prost and Senna hated each other and took each other out to win championships when they were with McLaren. Let them run if it's the only competition we have at the moment.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Eh, Prost and Senna hated each other and took each other out to win championships when they were with McLaren. Let them run if it's the only competition we have at the moment.

Hell yeah. It's kind of exciting to find out who's going to ram the other one first.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Fair point, but I don't like Hamilton.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Was worse than early career Hamilton. The onboard where he only goes from half to full lock after the contact is damning as fuck.

Not necessarily. When he turned to half-lock the car barely rotated, so he was coming in too hot into the corner. Was this because of the tires, brakes, him wanting to give Hamilton a bit of his own medicine or a combination? Who knows, but I would love to see the telemetry on that, specially given that a yellow was waved just as the pass was going on, so I'm really curious if that had any effect on Rosberg.

Still hate it that Hamilton manages to pull that bullshit frequently and gets away with it, but that's the kind of hotheaded driver Bernie and the bunch seem to love.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    F1 2016 new trailer introduces 22 person online multiplayer, formation laps and more
    CODEMASTERS new Formula 1 racer will take gamers "deeper into the sport than ever before" as new trailer reveals huge multiplayer support and new features.

Codemasters has announced that F1 2016 will feature an incredible 22 player online multiplayer racing experience alongside the introduction of even more features such as the Formation Lap and manual starts.

The Formula 1 racing sim will launch this August on PS4, Xbox One and PC and the developers have promised to take gamers "deeper into the sport than ever before".

A new trailer has also been released for the game (seen above) and features plenty more in-game footage showing the action from the paddock, hospitality area, garage, pit lane, grid and the track.

"F1 2016 takes immersion to the next level by replicating the real world sport like never before with the Formation Lap appearing for the first time in the franchise allowing players to experience the height of the pre-race tension and warm their tyres in preparation for the all important start." a statement from Codemasters reads.

Codemasters had previously announced that both the Safety Car and Virtual Safety Car will feature in this year’s edition of the game and this will also be complemented by the addition of manual race starts adding to the pressure on the driver as they sit on the grid.

"They will have to engage the clutch and balance the revs as they wait for the lights to go out. Reaction times are vital to avoid a jump start by going too early or getting stuck on the grid as the anti stall engages." Codemasters say.

Principal Games Designer, Lee Mather, said: “We strive to create a game that is as close to the actual sport as possible.

"We have listened to the feedback from our community and that has resulted in us introducing the Safety Car, Virtual Safety Car, Formation Lap, manual race starts and the host of other gameplay features that get us even closer to the real sport and add to the experience for the player.

“Increasing the multiplayer support to 22 players was extremely important to us. We want to be able to fill the whole grid with human players to create those great race moments and stories. It also provides greater support for online leagues."

Effectively this means that multiplayer will allow gamers to experience a full grid of 22 human players across the 21 circuits featured within the game.

Drivers will also be able to have manual control over their pit lane entry and braking as they the experience developers look to minimise the time they lose when pitting.

They will also need to brake in time to avoid a penalty for speeding in the pit lane, which also features in this year’s game along with the inclusion of the new five second pit stop penalty.

Previously Codemasters had boldly said that F1 2016 would be "the most immersive career mode ever featured in the franchise," with players able to sign a contract for a team and work their way up the ladder.

Or alternatively players can instead choose to develop their favourite team into a championship contender.

In addition, Codemasters say they will also be re-introducing the iconic Safety Car, as well as the sports Virtual Safety Car and a "stunning hospitality area for each team."

This hospitality area will act as the in-game hub and allow players to work with their Research and Development Engineer and Player Agent to develop their progress both on and off the track.

https://youtu.be/AcIf4wC0H3c

Blimey. I hope they can deliver. Hell, I hope it works.

• Options
    Virtual Toto? Day 1 purchase.

*plays F1 2012*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    2015 had promise (the driving and racing were excellent), and problems (PC performance issues and CTDs, stripped-back feature set).

If 2016 can just be technically stable - and I'll probably grab it for Xbone this time around to help that - then it could be a goddamn monster. The feature list is pretty amazing.

Plus, yes, virtual Toto the Terminator. :+1:

(Hmm, virtual Claire Williams, too... :wink: )

Jazz on
  • Options
    Anyone planning to grab it on PS4?

• Options
    I'm just excited for some virtual KVYAT-ing!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Anyone planning to grab it on PS4?

This is one of those occasions where I really want cross-console-platform multi to finally become a goddamn thing. It'd be awesome to play it with you guys and not have to worry about the three different platforms being a barrier.

Especially with this 22-car multiplayer. It's been mooted before but I'm pretty sure this is the first time it's actually been done.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Exactly. Seriously jonesing for some online racing with people from the forum, now that I have a console again. (I have fond memories of the Forza days)

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Exactly. Seriously jonesing for some online racing with people from the forum, now that I have a console again. (I have fond memories of the Forza days)

Forza 6 is stunning. And has Formula E cars. And '50s, '60s and '70s F1 cars, with '80s ones (well, at least one) as DLC. I think you need an Xbone. :wink:

• Options
    Yeah, the wife will say no to a second console. :)

Project Cars is pretty good, to be fair, but the forum community is no longer active it appears.

• Options
    Fair do's :)

I never did get around to picking up Project Cars. It did look pretty great, but I steered clear of it on PC due to it having issues with AMD GPUs. Now I've got the Xbone I'm thinking about it again, but I'm wondering if it might be overkill with Forza 6 too.

• Options
    I spent tuesday night doing laps at Laguna Seca in iRacing using the Oculus Rift.

I won't be doing any racing that doesn't support VR after this, I tell you what.

This discussion has been closed.