As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warframe] It's good to know that we can dream more than once. (U18 is out!)

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I rock T4S with a heavily modded glaive prime using Astral and melee the fuck out of things till like the 40 minute mark.

By my metric that's rather acceptable for not a great weapon.

If I'm rocking Valkyr I'll bust out my mighty Axe and can rock it to 60 minutes. Using eternal war mod and life strike I just wander into a corner by myself and murder things.

I use Ash, Zephyr and Valkyr almost exclusively. Mainly for mobility reasons. Learn to bunny hop Zephyr's flight or riplining the spot next to an enemy and travel times decrease rapidly.

Or just be Ash and be a flipping teleporting ninja.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    The only weapon where I haven't enjoyed melee recently is Dark dagger.
    Fuck you dark dagger, you should be ashamed that your wounderful cousin heat dagger outperforms you so badly. You're even the only dagger that doesn't match the polarity of Pointed Wind stance.

Othewise it's all fun. Everything from the "Are you sure this is a dagger?" Heat dagger, "Corpus Crocket" Jat Kittag, the super-coptering Atterax/Scoliac and many more.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The Mesa attempt earlier today made me realize that I need to dust off my mesa and actually level her. (Good luck guys. I'm praying to RN-Jesus that you get that missing systems soon).

Anyway, Mesa is SUPER easy to level. Chill out in Pluto:Sechura until you unlock your utl, then slot efficiency/damage mods and pew-pew everything at Ceres:Draco.

Long story short, I put 5 forma in Mesa today...

I'm pretty satisfied that I've maxed her out now. I think I can afford to put all the mods I'll ever want to put in her, even if the situation prompts me to use a mis-matched polarity aura. Also pretty future-proofed for new Primed mods.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    The aforementioned failure to sacrifice the specific type of goat to RNGesus that he wanted did, however, precede a very profitable void run.

I also managed to forma my amprex three times today, and discovered the wonderful world of red crits (they're pretty and usually large).

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Citizen KupoCitizen Kupo In between here and thereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Finally got around to crafting and leveling the Penta. Any good arguments for keeping it, considering that I've already crafted, potato'd and 6-forma'd the Tonkor? Kinda seems like the only thing Penta has going for it is that I can manually detonate the bombs. Otherwise it just looks redundant.

Citizen Kupo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Manually detonating the bombs lets you perform airbursts, which can score headshots for massive damage.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I actually find myself meleeing stuff all the time when I play Nova. Slowed enemies can't even hit you before they die, and making something explode when you poke your finger at it is always fun!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    I actually find myself meleeing stuff all the time when I play Nova. Slowed enemies can't even hit you before they die, and making something explode when you poke your finger at it is always fun!

it continues to amaze me just how satisfying it is to turn a large crowd of dudes into an even larger cloud of pixie dust in a matter of moments.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Re: Melee:

It may be viable yes but what does that mean when you're playing with a decent group of people and they kill everything before you can get in range? This is the point that matters to me. Not that it's not the best way to kill stuff (it'll probably never be) but that running melee-only or primary melee generally means you won't have anything to do (unless you solo). At least that's the experience I've made.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited May 2015
    It means you're fighting weak enemies?

If you really want to use a sword as your only weapon, then you should probably go to maps with infested spawn rates so high that the rifles can't kill them fast enough or into the high level zones where an upgraded MK-1 Braton can't kill the enemy with a glancing shot anymore.

The "problems" with melee aren't stat problems. Many of them hit really hard. It is just the inherent fact that you need to get to melee range before you can use the darn things. There is a reason bayonet charges have fallen to the wayside....

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Well, I mean, unless you're at the super high survival or defense waves, most teams seem to spread out anyway so you should have your own kills.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well, I mean, unless you're at the super high survival or defense waves, most teams seem to spread out anyway so you should have your own kills.

I was talking more linear missions tbh like capture or something. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong then if no one else has this experience!

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Nah. Not doing it wrong.

Though in my experience anything "linear" has one hero rhino tipedo dash ahead and boltor everything to death while the rest of the team just runs behind and hopes to get a few kills.

So I mean, whatever at that point.

Always hero rhinos.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    I don't know, I did a couple of T3S solo earlier, and by 30m had trouble meleeing stuff down, compared to just shooting them. Though, I don't have Life Strike so had to pop Hysteria constantly for heals. I'm aiming for Justice Blades from Steel Meridian, maybe that'll help.

Also yeah, should build Jat Kittag just because it looks awesome :P

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Nah. Not doing it wrong.

Though in my experience anything "linear" has one hero rhino tipedo dash ahead and boltor everything to death while the rest of the team just runs behind and hopes to get a few kills.

So I mean, whatever at that point.

Always hero rhinos.

Because sometimes teamwork means saving everyone else from having to do anything but get to the extraction point! :|

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Keemossi wrote: »
    I don't know, I did a couple of T3S solo earlier, and by 30m had trouble meleeing stuff down, compared to just shooting them. Though, I don't have Life Strike so had to pop Hysteria constantly for heals. I'm aiming for Justice Blades from Steel Meridian, maybe that'll help.

Also yeah, should build Jat Kittag just because it looks awesome :P

I guess the problem also becomes that a lot of melee weapons just arent very good. Or at the very least are quite niche.

Valkyr for instance is looking at dual ichors, that blade whip I always forget the name of, scindo prime. If you're doing a hysteria build. If you're doing an eternal war cry then it's scindo prime, gelatine, jet kitty, tipedo/bo prime. Tried a handful of other things and they just don't have the raw murder potential. Though I guess a dragon nikana isn't a bad choice either.

I kind of wish the tonfa was better. I haven't tried the boltor tonfa yet but even just the animation for the stances is kind of awful.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm using Atterax on Valkyr. It's cool, it has range, works well with Hysteria and copters decently.

Ran some dark sector survivals, trying to get Life Strike and if I'm super lucky the toxic shotgun mod as well. Melee is.. ok there I guess, up until ancients get all over the place and drain my energy while I'm being thrown around and knocked down. At that point I find it way better to chain murder everything with Atomos :\

Chain murder reminds me.. are Ripkas good?

• Options
    I guess that's kind of the thing. If you're using a hysteria weapon you should probably never not be in hysteria because they aren't really great. You pick em for speed and crit rate. Not really good by themselves (well I mean, scindo is awesome either way, but it definitely does better with the speed up from war cry.)

Claw stances suck. I think ripkas use claw stances?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah they're claws. Drat.

I thought Atteras was stat wise pretty close to dual ichors, just different damage type. I mean, it should be rather good even outside Hysteria?

One thing I've noticed about Hysteria: the range is super annoying. And I often find myself attacking thin air because the attacks leave me standing on top of enemies. Blargh.

Need to try the jet hammer I guess. Damn these things use up all my formas.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I, as always, recommend the Obex.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ripkas are fun! I have a set that I've used quite a bit and it's a lot of fun to chainsaw shit to death and I haven't noticed the stances sucking.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    One minor pet peeve, and while it's not just melee I see pure melee frames do this more. If there is an objective please dont go running way the heck off chasing red dots. Other then making things boring as hell for people actually doing the objective, teammates will lose out on shared experience (~50m max range between tenno), and loot. The old hands probably won't give a flip due capped gear and truckloads of resources, but lots of folks actually do need them.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Isn't the main thing with claws that all the claw stances are a pain to get?

• Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    Keemossi, I have extra claw stances and life strikes if you need them.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Well that was a productive weekend. Final tally:

30 Argon Crystals (lol)
    220 Gallium
    192 Neural Sensors
    144 Neurodes
    173 OCells
    908 Obnoxium (not counting the ~800 that Itzal cost)
    30 Tellurium (not counting that spent on Itzal and the Ripkas)

Affinity gains did not go to waste either as I ran five formas through the Kohmak (new favorite sidearm), leveled a whole bunch of weapons from mastery fodder (Panthera) to surprisingly amazing (Rakta Ballistica).

Played more Archwing than I had anticipated. Finished leveling the starter gear, built and leveled the Rathbone, built and leveled Itzal to 19 (holyshit best archwing zooooooooooooooooooooom), farmed and built the Velocitus and Dual Decurions. AW is so much better than at launch now that the missions actually reward archwing mods instead of Fast Hands. I might actually play this shit this time to keep leveling all the stuff for dat mastery rank. I farmed up enough Archwingium to last a good long time in any case.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    kralizecc wrote: »

Not sure if I'm making those fists, but I could use life strike. Haven't had much luck farming one so far. Though, it should be fairly easy to get by doing 5m dark sector survivals, right?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    What's your in game name? when do you get on to play usually?

Dividebyzero, I LOVE archwing, next time you're going to play some let me know!

kralizecc on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Did it end? I was hoping to farm at least 100 more neurodes.

Also, I wanted to farm some Tellurium, but everyone I grouped up with basically hadn't even built Archwings.... :/

It's been like a year. You've gotta get at least one high end Archwing loadout before DE releases an archwing/warframe hybrid event with good loot.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Did it end? I was hoping to farm at least 100 more neurodes.

Also, I wanted to farm some Tellurium, but everyone I grouped up with basically hadn't even built Archwings.... :/

It's been like a year. You've gotta get at least one high end Archwing loadout before DE releases an archwing/warframe hybrid event with good loot.

As of this post, you have roughly 1 hour left.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    "boltor everything to death" - chocobolicious
    "Archwingium" - DivideByZero
    "turn a large crowd of dudes into an even larger cloud of pixie dust" - Caulk Bite 6
    "scindo prime, gelatine, jet kitty, tipedo/bo prime" - chocobolicious

The game's pretty fun, but the words / phrases it generates are amazing.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    kralizecc wrote: »

Oooh, can I call dibs on one of the Life Strikes? It's one mod that has continually managed to elude me.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Blain wrote: »
    "scindo prime, gelatine, jet kitty, tipedo/bo prime" - chocobolicious
    only one of these is a nickname, actually
    well one of them is one letter off but I think that's just a typo and not a nickname
    I'm just sitting here laughing to myself that apparently all these names are silly enough that you thought we made them up

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    gelatine slays your enemies with deliciousness

• Options
    Finally got around to crafting and leveling the Penta. Any good arguments for keeping it, considering that I've already crafted, potato'd and 6-forma'd the Tonkor? Kinda seems like the only thing Penta has going for it is that I can manually detonate the bombs. Otherwise it just looks redundant.
    there is the matter that it's basically better than the tonkor in every way
    like, damage per shot? penta is better
    accuracy? penta is better
    magazine size? penta is better
    plus with the penta you don't have to line up your shots to hit enemies dead on with a slow moving parabolic projectile, you can just blow it up above them

• Options

Serious question, are stances even important, besides getting free mod points? It seems that you rarely ever need more than a few hits to kill enemies and if you do... well, to be honest I haven't tried out high level melee yet. Is that where stances start to shine?

steam_sig.png

• Options

Serious question, are stances even important, besides getting free mod points? It seems that you rarely ever need more than a few hits to kill enemies and if you do... well, to be honest I haven't tried out high level melee yet. Is that where stances start to shine?

Beyond the free modpoints (which is important anyway):

1. A few stances turn melee weapons into murder machines. Pointed Wind dagger stance comes to mind, giving you about 400% more murderpower.
    2. A few stances modify the normal quick-attack chain which vastly increase their usefulness. Blind Justice and that Glaive stance are probably the only ones so far.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

Beyond the free modpoints (which is important anyway):

1. A few stances turn melee weapons into murder machines. Pointed Wind dagger stance comes to mind, giving you about 400% more murderpower.
    2. A few stances modify the normal quick-attack chain which vastly increase their usefulness. Blind Justice and that Glaive stance are probably the only ones so far.

Tempo Royale

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

They're mostly for free mod points, though some of them add some really cool animations to attacks and some of the newer ones even change the quick melee animation. For example, the new glaive stance quick melee has you throwing it out in short, small arcs which is pretty badass. Hell, that stance has some fuckin badass animations period with you throwing it around and having it spin around you and you jumping and flipping around and shit like a ninja on crack.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    Tempo Royale

Ah yes. It's actually even more powerful in quick melee since you shorten the attack to only include the first AoE double-strike and its followup...and not the slightly slower 3rd and 4th attacks.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Tonkor will do more damage in practice than the penta, if you mod for it (critical damage). It explodes on impact or after a particular time, and can rocket jump.

Penta has better numbers on paper, can be detonated at a time of your choosing, and has a larger magazine capacity. It also damages the user if you're close enough, and has a smaller blast radius, though you can easily get headshot criticals by detonating the shots above enemys.

kralizecc on
This discussion has been closed.