As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ouch my identity

• Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My bank will usually just solve problems I have quickly and without many questions but I have run into the ridiculous problem of being charged overdrafts for overdraft fees, which really should never happen.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JC of DI wrote: »
    I'm with Wells Fargo too, though (lazily) looking to change.

Their online banking is weird - debit card charges will initially show up for about 24 hours, then disappear for about a week. This completely skews the use of online banking to check your balance. I end up just writing every transaction down when I use my card, which kinda deters the convenience factor.

Yeah it does. I switched banks to Washington Mutual, and I'm pretty happy with them thus far.
    They even gave me free checks for life! I chose the 9-11 memorial checks, and always write "Never forget" in the memo.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Everyone that lives in Washington state should use Watermark credit union

Weaver on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Manifest wrote: »

Their online banking is weird - debit card charges will initially show up for about 24 hours, then disappear for about a week. This completely skews the use of online banking to check your balance. I end up just writing every transaction down when I use my card, which kinda deters the convenience factor.

Yeah it does. I switched banks to Washington Mutual, and I'm pretty happy with them thus far.
    They even gave me free checks for life! I chose the 9-11 memorial checks, and always write "Never forget" in the memo.

I've been heavily thinking about switching to them - do they have online banking that actually works?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Manifest wrote: »

I've been heavily thinking about switching to them - do they have online banking that actually works?

Yeah it's pretty good. Much better than Wells Fargo with their shitty updating, and horrible "bill pay."
    Also, they don't hit you with an extra fee when you use someone else's ATM, so when it says it'll be $1.50 to use the ATM at that gas station, you'll never pay more than that.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    Everyone that lives in Washington state should use Watermark credit union

Why, do you get referral fees?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    no it is a good institution in which to keep your money

Weaver on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

so's your face

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    When I was with Bank of America years ago, it took them 6 months to finally close my account when I switched banks. I kept getting notices each month showing a negative balance for the amount of my monthly fee and I'd call or stop in and explain I'd already closed the account and they'd assure me it would get fixed each time. Fuck ups.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

In what way? What would make me want to switch?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm with Wells Fargo too, and I've never had debit charges disappear like that. By the time it's done with "pending" the date on the charge is off by three or four days though.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    if you overdraw your acount they come out and suck your dick

Weaver on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Monkeybomb wrote: »
    but that would teach you for not adding my friend code to your wii

Hey guess what! I turned my Wii on for the first time in 5 weeks last night!

I didn't add your code.

KISS MY ASS DAN SOMETHING

THAT'S THE LAST TIME I BEG YOU TO BUY ME PIZZA

Wait, what'd I do?

Also I recently had to deal with Bank of America dicking me around for three months. December 26 several charges show up on my account, apparently stuff to set up a "herbal supplement" online store, i.e. hosting and whatnot. I call/email the companies involved and they quickly cancel the charges. Then I call BoA and explain my identity was stolen and so charges were made and that I'd like to have my card canceled and a new one issued. They say no problem, I get the money back relatively quickly.

It then takes them 3 months to send me a new debit/ATM card.

I still don't know what fucking black hole they were sending these cards to but eventually I managed to get one. I'll be closing the account in the next week or so now that I've transferred all my automatic billing info and whatnot to my very easily opened and so far hassle-free Washington Mutual account for checking, and a E*TRADE savings account (which I've already earned some decent interest on.)

In short Bank of America's customer service fucking sucks.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SH you do not get the Dan Something joke, you are so dumb.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I used the university credit union when I was in school, and then eventually transferred everything to Wells Fargo.
    Forgot to transfer one recurring charge and ended up with like $200 in compounded overdraft fees.
    Went in on my lunch break (by this point I've moved far enough from their branch office that this takes like 2 hours) to try to convince them to be nice and not take my precious $200 since they were sending my statements to the wrong address so I didn't even know what was happening, and they were like "NOPE YOU LOSE" so I wrote them a check and told them to cancel my account. The guy says he can't cancel my account until my balance is up to $0, so I'll have to call them on the phone later and cancel.
    I call a week later and they tell me I have to come in personally to close my account. This was about a year and a half ago.
    I still haven't done it.
    Last week I got a statement in the mail that says I have $160 in my account.
    Now I'm afraid to cancel my account for fear of missing out on more magically appearing money.

The most boring story ever told.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Jordyn wrote: »

No, see I'm confused because I am Dan and I have bought Shoe pizzas before.

You jerk

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    I used the university credit union when I was in school, and then eventually transferred everything to Wells Fargo.
    Forgot to transfer one recurring charge and ended up with like $200 in compounded overdraft fees.
    Went in on my lunch break (by this point I've moved far enough from their branch office that this takes like 2 hours) to try to convince them to be nice and not take my precious $200 since they were sending my statements to the wrong address so I didn't even know what was happening, and they were like "NOPE YOU LOSE" so I wrote them a check and told them to cancel my account. The guy says he can't cancel my account until my balance is up to $0, so I'll have to call them on the phone later and cancel.
    I call a week later and they tell me I have to come in personally to close my account. This was about a year and a half ago.
    I still haven't done it.
    Last week I got a statement in the mail that says I have $160 in my account.
    Now I'm afraid to cancel my account for fear of missing out on more magically appearing money.

The most boring story ever told.
    What they haven't told you is that the balance is accruing as rape dollars.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Smart Hero wrote: »

I know you're Dan.

Look look look

I gotta do other shit.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Smart Hero wrote: »

I know you're Dan.

Look look look

I gotta do other shit.

You jerk

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hey Dan, I'm the jerk. Don't forget it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Okay well she's a jerk.

Also I was gonna poke fun of you in the camwhore thread but then I didn't.

Isn't that an exciting story?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Jerk Sauce

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still have some in my fridge.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    homemade jerk sauce

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    taoistlumberjaktaoistlumberjak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I know someone out there banks with 5/3rd Bank
    I know they have great stories

explanation - 5/3rd is the worst bank on the fucking planet
    Citizens Bank, from what I've seen, appears to be the second worst.

taoistlumberjak on
    grillsgrillsgrills.jpg
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I like my bank because if I try to make a purchase and it would drop my account past 0 even by $.01 I get declined...

Unlike the wells fargo account my mom uses... they love to let her account drop under $.83 so they can hit her with a 33 dollar over draft fee... and then seeing as how she is already under they'll hit her 3 or 4 times.

Fuck wells fargo

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The overdraft fees are so arbitrary too. If you have 5 transactions in a row for $1 and the first one overdrafts, they charge you the fee for each transaction so you end up well over $100 in debt just from the fees. However if you have a single transaction that overdrafts for say, $75 then they just charge you a single fee. Why? Because that's how it's been done and tough titties if you don't like it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Because it's a machine that doesn't give a shit what you're doing.
    It had to process 4 overdrafts and you're gonna pay for those electrons.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SA wrote: »
    Wal-Mart has videogames, Monkey.

And tube-socks. AND SPAM. God I love Spam.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    yeah, the best part is the overdraft that got her was a monthly bank fee of 3 dollars.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So anyone have US Bank, National City, or Bank One? These are what I have narrowed my choices down to when I switch banks.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The charge that put my UCU account overdrawn was a $.99 iTunes charge.
    The best part about UCU was that if your account was already overdrawn, the debit card wouldn't be declined, you'd get charged the fee, and the payment wouldn't go through anyway. How does that make any sense?

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    So anyone have US Bank, National City, or Bank One? These are what I have narrowed my choices down to when I switch banks.
    Have you considered a credit union instead? They usually have better interest rates and lower fees and some of them have better customer service than the big banks.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dont understand bank fees

They have your money and they get to spend it however they want

and you have to pay them for the privilege

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The best part about UCU was that if your account was already overdrawn, the debit card wouldn't be declined, you'd get charged the fee, and the payment wouldn't go through anyway. How does that make any sense?
    It's the "We're just going to fuck you on principle" clause.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    taoistlumberjaktaoistlumberjak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    Have you considered a credit union instead? They usually have better interest rates and lower fees and some of them have better customer service than the big banks.

taoistlumberjak on
    grillsgrillsgrills.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's the "We're just going to fuck you on principle" clause.

Clearly.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Because raping you with fees is how banks make most of their money. Seriously, features like overdraft protection nothing to someone who never gets anywhere close to zero. They aren't making any money by offering you the account for free they make money by having a fucked up system that makes it easy to overdraft even when it isn't your fault.

Charges can be held off to keep your balance inaccurate, deposits can be delayed, you name it. The system really is made to screw you.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited April 2007

There really aren't any credit unions within a reasonable distance of me. Except the FOP's but I am not a cop or a cop's kid.

Butters on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I am using Fifth third, and I have yet to have a problem with them.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.