As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GTAV/O... and 6?] - Return to Vice City in 2025

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    I can't shoot for shit and would just be a liability in the prison yard...but I can absolutely slide a prop plane behind an F-18 jet and stay there.
    How, if you don't mind me asking? I usually get stuck as the pilot on that mission and that jet nails me every time.

Being in the Cesna means that your turning radius is tighter than the F-18's. Even better, though, is that the AI has trouble with the mission and if you can get behind the Lazer right at the start, it will actually slow down to match your speed. Combine that with your turning speed, you should be able to keep the Lazer about a plane length or two in front of you and never have it leave your screen until the bus makes it to the airfield. The one thing to watch out for is that the jets tend to start circling back towards Zancudo...so far, I haven't had them make it back directly over the base, so I don't know if you'll get SAM missiles heading your way if the bus takes too long.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    I can't shoot for shit and would just be a liability in the prison yard...but I can absolutely slide a prop plane behind an F-18 jet and stay there.
    How, if you don't mind me asking? I usually get stuck as the pilot on that mission and that jet nails me every time.

Being in the Cesna means that your turning radius is tighter than the F-18's. Even better, though, is that the AI has trouble with the mission and if you can get behind the Lazer right at the start, it will actually slow down to match your speed. Combine that with your turning speed, you should be able to keep the Lazer about a plane length or two in front of you and never have it leave your screen until the bus makes it to the airfield. The one thing to watch out for is that the jets tend to start circling back towards Zancudo...so far, I haven't had them make it back directly over the base, so I don't know if you'll get SAM missiles heading your way if the bus takes too long.

You actually will most likely end up flying towards the edge of the map, having the AI fly farther out than you are able to, and require circling back in and evading them for a few seconds until you drop back in place behind it. Once you get the hang of it, though, the pilot job is the easiest part of that heist.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!

You actually will most likely end up flying towards the edge of the map, having the AI fly farther out than you are able to, and require circling back in and evading them for a few seconds until you drop back in place behind it. Once you get the hang of it, though, the pilot job is the easiest part of that heist.

Heh...this will only happen if your bus driver is literally the worst driver in the history of GTA (or is intentionally trolling the pilot). I actually don't think I've ever been in a situation (yet) where it took so long I ended up over Fort Zancudo...just gotten close to it.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Hate to double-post...but this seems worthy of it. It sounds like decent-sized chunks of content updates are on their way to GTA Online!

http://www.pcgamer.com/massive-gta-online-updates-are-on-the-way/

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

Heh...this will only happen if your bus driver is literally the worst driver in the history of GTA (or is intentionally trolling the pilot). I actually don't think I've ever been in a situation (yet) where it took so long I ended up over Fort Zancudo...just gotten close to it.

Is it wrong that I like to drive the bus off the road and down the mountainside to try to get to the airfield and the chopper a bit faster?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hate to double-post...but this seems worthy of it. It sounds like decent-sized chunks of content updates are on their way to GTA Online!

Whatever happened to the idea of single player DLC?

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    Legacy wrote: »

Still being worked on...but they need to pay their single-player DLC programmers, and to do that, they need more people to buy Shark cards. So here's more content for people who have a $10mil yacht and $2mil apartments with a warehouse costing who-knows-how-much and still have a few million more dollars just sitting around!

Legacy wrote: »

R* have commented saying that they're mostly focused on expanding GTA Online, and not really working on anything related to single player. But there's been some teased shots of the actors that did the main characters of the story hanging out at the R* offices and in mocap suits, so it might just be a side thing that comes out "whenever it gets done" without it actually being a scheduled thing to release.

I had the opportunity earlier today to race against famous CSGO streamer summit1g, who regularly gets 17k+ viewers every time he's online. It was one of the most stressful and entertaining times I had playing this game.

https://www.twitch.tv/summit1g/v/69750888?t=07h07m21s <--- the start of the GTA stuff, I battle against summit and the other racers, and my ISP, through the whole night.

• mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Anyone play the new DLC?

Saw a lot of VIP's running around buying and selling merchandise while people in chat were begging for work. Heh heh.

The matchmaking and connections felt a lot faster too, but I didn't really attempt to get into too many instanced playlists.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    Anyone play the new DLC?

Saw a lot of VIP's running around buying and selling merchandise while people in chat were begging for work. Heh heh.

The matchmaking and connections felt a lot faster too, but I didn't really attempt to get into too many instanced playlists.

Yea, it's an amazing concept that is completely and utterly ruined by a single jack ass in a hydra. If there weren't hydras and lazers flying about, it would be great. But there are, so it's not. The cars are pretty neato though.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Some friends and me just finished the final heist job, after playing on and off for a year or so. (Seriously, fuck that "run the cop gauntlet" bit...) Anyway, after the more focused, four-player fun, I think it might be fun to go for the more free-roamy action, but I find that too often public sessions are infested with cheaters.

Therefore, I wanted to ask if anyone playing on PC might be up for joining an invite-only free roam session this coming Saturday 4-6pm UK time. Anyone who'd be up for some fun and mayhem, let me know your R*SC handle and I'll send you an invite to the session come Saturday.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Not a bump as such, just a question: if I start an invite-only session, can others who join after I've invited them then invite people as well? Or would I be the Supreme Master of Inviting Others in that particular session?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I love all the little custom animations with the new update. The little "Gentlemen, now to the business at hand." way you sit down at the head of the meeting table made me and my friends crack up for 5 minutes.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Thirith wrote: »
    Not a bump as such, just a question: if I start an invite-only session, can others who join after I've invited them then invite people as well? Or would I be the Supreme Master of Inviting Others in that particular session?

Anyone you invite can also invite once they get in.

Getting in some quality driving time with summit1g and friends. Usually we race, sometimes to like to smash shit to pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asoC4TD5lfY

New update coming out on Tuesday, probably the biggest update since Heists in terms of number of vehicles released, plus all of the new props to build tracks with in the creator. Those in the racing community are hyped as hell about it, and I hope it lives up to what I'm wanting out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A_35Z4eQfg

Dammit! I'm still grinding my ass off to pull together the cash to buy the new AstonDewbauchee 7-70 (still $300k to go), I don't need even more gorgeous cars to lust after!

Pretty solid update for those that are into racing style cars. And the stunt tracks are good fun when you get some friends together and race without needing to worry about getting rammed constantly.

This is what $10m looks like.
    45AA4FE7530FE52C6E3F08988A672344DDB2A43B

• E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been here. Just wanted to see how everyone was doing and also to post this from the Newswire:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52663/coming-soon-to-gta-online-bikers-and-more

Biker DLC "coming soon", which is anywhere between next week and the year 3025 :)

Can't be 3026, of course, because that's when the apocalypse is due.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone tried that GTAV Redux mod? Was thinking of reinstalling to check it out.

• E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    Anyone tried that GTAV Redux mod? Was thinking of reinstalling to check it out.

I've heard about it, but unfortunately I'm a filthy console peasant and can't access mods. I've heard good things though; it looks beautiful in the screenshots that I've seen.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I reinstalled this since I got the itch and found a pretty cool mod: VAutodrive. It basically lets you turn on autodrive with several options. If you have a waypoint, it will use the AI drive routine to drive you there. You can tell it to drive recklessly, and it will drive like a taxi you tell to hurry up. If you don't have a waypoint, it will just randomly drive around. You can set the speed it tries to maintain, up to 95 mph. By default it keeps you in the driver seat and drives for you, but you can tell it to move you to another seat and spawn in any model you specify who will drive. You can jump around to the different seats, too. Once you arrive, it will turn off if you were driving or the model will stop the car and get out and walk away. It can also pilot helicopters and planes, but I haven't messed with that yet. It will supposedly land a heli in a suitable spot.

It's not that great if you're in a hurry, but it's super cool for just being driven around the city while you take in the sights. It's also handy for getting across town while you do something else, like focusing on a conversation. Or you can get in a limo and have someone actually drive you in it.

Pretty soon I'll give the Redux mod a shot, but I worry about my framerate. I'm already hovering around 45 - 50 fps with almost everything maxed.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I kinda wanna play Online (PC) to have lots of money and buy boats and planes and shit
    but I have zero will to face griefers and gankers and hackers and stuff
    Is there a way to go about that?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I kinda wanna play Online (PC) to have lots of money and buy boats and planes and shit
    Play in private sessions

edited October 2016
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Play in private sessions

Either private or friend/crew-only. That way, you know who's going to be joining your game and that they're not total asshats.

Erlkönig on
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Play in private sessions

The unfortunate thing is that most of the good money making stuff requires public lobbies. Or did the last time I played. The biker update broke a lot of racing related things that you wouldn't think would be important, but really are. Example - GTA mode for Stunt Races, without it we can't do pitstops to repair cars for endurance racing, drastically limiting the usefulness of the track creator now.

• MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So on a whim I recently bought this game because I've always wanted to play online as I hear it's a lot of fun and I've seen some amazing youtube videos.

But the important thing that makes it fun is playing with PEOPLE.
    So do the people playing here belong to some kind of group or crew or whatever?
    I mean I see the group on the front page - is it active?

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    So on a whim I recently bought this game because I've always wanted to play online as I hear it's a lot of fun and I've seen some amazing youtube videos.

But the important thing that makes it fun is playing with PEOPLE.
    So do the people playing here belong to some kind of group or crew or whatever?
    I mean I see the group on the front page - is it active?
    Not to my knowledge, no. I mean, the post on the top this page was from six months ago.

There are still 39k players (average; 79k peak) playing GTA5 on Steam; down from 192k (360k peak) back in April 2015. It's no DotA2, but it's still popular enough to break into the Steam Top 10 right now.

Every now and then I pop on and run solo missions (it looked like R* added a handful of new ones that are mostly geared for small groups...but they did have a few that were soloable).

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Avoid running into their jet walls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs_0sTq7gpQ

So... Tron DLC. Maybe an intern got bored.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Hehe! Now this is DLC I can get behind!

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, finally got this. I gave up on GTA 4 after the second island opened up because I was tired of whatshisface whining about his past while happily doing horrible things five seconds later. Well, that and I spent two hours diving through the game's Internet trying to find something funny, but instead I found crap that would be rejected by Mad Magazine for being too broad and stupid. (For context I liked the humor in the Saints Row games.)

But, whatever, the game's cheap. I'm still very early in the game and doing jobs for that car salesman guy, and already I hate all three characters for all being charmless assholes, I ground away my molars listening to Weasel News and the Impotent Rage cartoon, and I struggled with the very first sports car you drive that will careen backwards off the right side of the screen if you tilt the controller even halfway.

So, uh. Does the game get better or should I accept that it's not for me?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    You've only met one of the main characters, and he's pretty decent. Trevor is where the game really gets going.

• Absurdity MatrixAbsurdity Matrix Tumbledown Glory On the OutskirtsRegistered User regular
    Don't torture yourself: if the characters grate on your nerves like that, story mode is probably not for you.

For me, the biggest appeal of a GTA game is the environment (ex: the feel of the map, the sounds, the music). Yeah, I have fun with the characters and the scripted missions, but that isn't what brings me back. So, from that perspective, before you huck the game, I suggest you just fuck around in the world and explore a bit. Maybe try out GTA Online and just roam around in a friend or solo session.

And hey, if that's not your cup a tea, don't worry about it.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I will say I really liked the map, especially when I got out into the country.

And the effort Rockstar made to create not-North Dakota was nice.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Don't torture yourself: if the characters grate on your nerves like that, story mode is probably not for you.

For me, the biggest appeal of a GTA game is the environment (ex: the feel of the map, the sounds, the music). Yeah, I have fun with the characters and the scripted missions, but that isn't what brings me back. So, from that perspective, before you huck the game, I suggest you just fuck around in the world and explore a bit. Maybe try out GTA Online and just roam around in a friend or solo session.

And hey, if that's not your cup a tea, don't worry about it.

The bolded absolutely needs to be emphasized. If you're getting annoyed at the unlikeability of the main story characters, do not go into a public GTA Online lobby. To make sure you don't sully yourself with that quagmire, load into story mode and go into your main menu to log into a GTA Online closed solo, friend, or crew sessions. For whatever reason, if you load into Online from the initial menu when you fire up the game, it'll dump you into a public lobby. And since you likely haven't played Online yet, you'll start out at a random location in the streets and you won't have any safe, non-combat zones to hide out in for menu surfing.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Private lobbies are so much more boring than public lobbies.

Public has 100x more mayhem and chaos.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Private lobbies are so much more boring than public lobbies.

Public has 100x more mayhem and chaos.

I mean, sure, if you're a bloody savage.