As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    So, man do I hate the Netflix UI. Is there any way to see a list of episodes for a TV show rather than 4 at a time in a horizontal scroll bar? It's like they intentionally designed the least efficient way to view a list.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    So, man do I hate the Netflix UI. Is there any way to see a list of episodes for a TV show rather than 4 at a time in a horizontal scroll bar? It's like they intentionally designed the least efficient way to view a list.

Sounds like the interface on the Roku 2, which is shit. The interface on consoles, Roku 3, and most everything else gives a better list broken up by season.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It's not a big deal for most shows, since I watch them in order. For nature shows or travel I just want a list so I can pick which ones I want to watch.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »

I liked the previous format, it was less restrictive.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So Jessica Jones is some kind of dysfunctional superhero, but maybe also a private investigator? Reading wiki entries on superheroes can get pretty confusing for people who don't follow comics. I'm looking forward to this show because Daredevil was so great, but I still don't know much about her character.

Basically... (spoiler tags just in case someone wants to go in without any knowledge of the character)
    In the comics she was on the Avengers when she was mind controlled by the Purple Man (played by David Tennant in the show). She was under his control for something like 6 months before being saved or breaking free. I forget. This, understandably, kind of made her a wreck. She quit the whole superhero game and became a depressed, alcoholic private investigator. All of her history was actually a retcon, though. Her first appearance was as a drunk PI.

Don't forget the horrific part:
    For those eight months she was used to commit any atrocity that Purple Man wanted her to do while at the same time forced to be his sex slave.

For example:

alias25-14v5l2k.jpg

When she escaped, she came away with severe PTSD and tried to drink her memories of that away.
    Holy shit, that is some horrible stuff. I doubt Netflix will go that dark though.

*Edit*
    Dark Matter is up on Netflix now. If you like scifi you should give it a try.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    AKA Jessica Jones is going to make Daredevil look like Captain Planet if they capture the comics mood properly.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I hope she kills the son of a bitch.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

I'm watching the fourth season of Continuum on Syfy after getting hooked on Netflix. One more episode to go.

I'm also getting into Dark Matter and Z Nation.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I'm watching the fourth season of Continuum on Syfy after getting hooked on Netflix. One more episode to go.

It's already up? Nice. I figured we would have to wait a year before Netflix got the final season.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »

It's already up? Nice. I figured we would have to wait a year before Netflix got the final season.

Sorry, it's not up on Netflix. I jumped over to SyFy to watch the last six episodes.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    iZombie's first season is up now, started it and loving it. Just the right amount of quirkiness.

Season 1 of The Flash is up too.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I signed up for Hulu ad free now that they have the movies stuff. Works decently with Apple TV, similar layout to netflix and the other Apple TV stuff, it does that Showtime thing of current seasons having most recent episode labeled first.

It's one of those things where I still don't care about a lot of new shows even though they're right there for me now, but it's nice to have South Park, Seinfeld, and The Thick of It at my disposal.

One thing I noticed when flicking through Netflix on the year released filter, it's really missing a lot of recent, non VOD stuff now. Looking through the action genre the most recent big movie is Hurt Locker.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I guess CBS realized nobody is going to pay them for their all access subscription, but still don't want to work with Hulu. Starting summer 2016 Amazon prime is going to get new eps of CBS shows for 4 days after airing, plus some archived stuff. Not a reason to get prime for people who don't have it, but for those of us who do, this will be better for watching CBS shows day after than using CBS' website.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/amazon-multi-year-cbs-deal-adds-to-prime-video-content-cm527206

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I guess CBS realized nobody is going to pay them for their all access subscription, but still don't want to work with Hulu. Starting summer 2016 Amazon prime is going to get new eps of CBS shows for 4 days after airing, plus some archived stuff. Not a reason to get prime for people who don't have it, but for those of us who do, this will be better for watching CBS shows day after than using CBS' website.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/amazon-multi-year-cbs-deal-adds-to-prime-video-content-cm527206

I don't understand how they thought that was a good idea.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I don't understand how they thought that was a good idea.

corporate greed + out of touch with technology

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Same reason their website is so terrible and awful for watching episodes.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

According to that link it's only new eps of summer series, not all series. I looked it up and Variety says the 4 day streaming window only applies to 3 summer series from 2016 to 2018. Nothing else. The bulk of the deal seems to revolve around the older CBS and Showtime series that will end up on AmazonPrime, as well as a bank of CBS films.

The first of the three series that will be getting the screwy streaming treatment is BrainDead, next summer. "“BrainDead” is billed as a comedic thriller that stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead as a young Capitol Hill staffer who discovers that alien spawn are eating the brains of Congressional reps and staffers. The series hails from Robert and Michelle King, creators/exec producers of “The Good Wife.”"

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So Supergirl stars at the end of October but on checking the rest of their lineup, nope. I don't watch any of those.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    So I've started watching Supernatural, and I dig it. I guess I've like 200 days of one episode a day ahead of me. Yay!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So Supergirl stars at the end of October but on checking the rest of their lineup, nope. I don't watch any of those.

Damn is Supergirl kawaii in the promo photos. 100% waifu material.

Supergirl_1920x1080_586896_640x360.jpg

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Mr. Peabody and Sherman Show dropped on Netflix today, a half hour cartoon based on the characters, done by Dreamworks Animation.

The always great Chris Parnell is doing Peabody's voice instead of Ty Burrell, and they got the same kid to voice Sherman, but the framing device for the show seems to be the two having a chat show in their apartment with hijinks and wacky neighbors, but still doing the old story templates used in the Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons. So ultimately it's a half and half type show.

The time travel story is still the highpoint, with the humor and puns you expect and saw in the movie, the talk show format is a little grating. You can sort of tell that one part is for stupid dumb kids, and the other part is for the cool kids and adults.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So I've started watching Supernatural, and I dig it. I guess I've like 200 days of one episode a day ahead of me. Yay!

Yes, the first several seasons are very diggable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

Please do yourself a favor, watch through season 5...then stop. I mean it. It will be tempting to keep watching, but don't. You'll regret it.

The show is amazing up until that point, then it has a couple of seasons that are good, just not as good, and then you'll just get tired of it wasting its potential and not playing out what would be good storyline a for reasons that are awful.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

Please do yourself a favor, watch through season 5...then stop. I mean it. It will be tempting to keep watching, but don't. You'll regret it.

The show is amazing up until that point, then it has a couple of seasons that are good, just not as good, and then you'll just get tired of it wasting its potential and not playing out what would be good storyline a for reasons that are awful.

To expand on that in the least spoilery way possible, but spoiled just in case:
    Around season 5, the show pretty much entirely loses the monster-of-the-week theme and completely implodes up its own ass with a long-running plotline that is way less interesting than the monster-of-the-week episodes.

I made it like halfway through season 7 before I washed my hands of the show entirely.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options

Then switch to Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Penny Dreadful, and/or From Dusk Till Dawn's show.

• Options

Then switch to Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Penny Dreadful, and/or From Dusk Till Dawn's show.

This is good advice, don't let the vampire love story premise TVD starts out with deter you, it actually gets really good and spawns the equally good Originals.

• Options
    edited October 2015

This is good advice, don't let the vampire love story premise TVD starts out with deter you, it actually gets really good and spawns the equally good Originals.

I liked how it did a rational take on the romance in Twilight, and Stephen wasn't half the asshole Edward was.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

I liked how it did a rational take on the romance in Twilight, and Stephen wasn't half the asshole Edward was.

No, just dull...

At least until
    Klaus turns his humanity off, he was a lot more fun after he got it turned back on after that

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

To expand on that in the least spoilery way possible, but spoiled just in case:
    Around season 5, the show pretty much entirely loses the monster-of-the-week theme and completely implodes up its own ass with a long-running plotline that is way less interesting than the monster-of-the-week episodes.

I made it like halfway through season 7 before I washed my hands of the show entirely.

For what it's worth, they find a pretty decent balance again in seasons 8 and 9. Still not as good as the first few, but much more watchable than 6 and 7.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    iZombie is already filling the Veronica Mars-shaped hole in my heart

Even despite the fuckawful name

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I really enjoyed supernatural and the overarching season plot in seasons 1 through 5

because it really is the same overarching plot, everything's all connected

and then you hit season 6 and it's just like, they have no idea where they're going now, it really needed to end at the end of 5, there's nowhere to really go after that
    well the boys literally defeated satan AND the archangel michael, now what?

uhhh... got it, regular monsters... but older

override367 on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    also misha collins is fantastic in seasons 4 and 5

and he once filled jared padalecki's trailer with pennies

override367 on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    My wife and I kept planning on quitting Supernatural, but we like the characters of Dean and Sam too much so we keep going back like a battered spouse, knowing what we're in for but just not being able to walk away. =P I actually think it's improved again the last couple seasons, though we haven't yet watched the s11 premiere. If you're looking for something with great substance, it's definitely not it though. Any show that says "We'll keep making the show as long as the leads will sign contracts with us" just can't have any sort of real integrity. They're just going to keep making shit up to keep it going.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Very few shows stay good after 5 seasons or through show runner changes and Supernatural has gone on way past that with, IIRC, several shakeups of the creative team. The cast is still wonderful, but the show has definitely wandered into guilty pleasure territory.

But let's be honest, if you like the characters keep watching, just don't get sucked into the mythology. It doesn't get Dexter-levels of bad.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I used to watch post-season 5 Supernatural for the characters but when your favourite character essentially gets lobotomized and sidelined repeatedly by the writers (Sam), and the other main character literally never gets any real development (oh no, Dean is... slightly angrier than usual?) and both of them keep repeating the same pattern of mistakes OVER and OVER and OVER again... it's just not worth it. Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are great, but even they can't turn shit into gold.

I'm convinced the SPN writers only have jobs because they can meet deadlines.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Reznik wrote: »
    I used to watch post-season 5 Supernatural for the characters but when your favourite character essentially gets lobotomized and sidelined repeatedly by the writers (Sam), and the other main character literally never gets any real development (oh no, Dean is... slightly angrier than usual?) and both of them keep repeating the same pattern of mistakes OVER and OVER and OVER again... it's just not worth it. Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are great, but even they can't turn shit into gold.

Sam was your favorite character? Eeeeeew. ;)

And I'd say, at least as of season eight/nine (where I'm at), they manage to turn shit into about five episodes of gold per season. And another eight or ten of...fake gold that looks okay?

I can still enjoy watching it. But seven was the wurrrrst. Walked away for a couple years after that.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Supernatural keeps having good ideas, and then totally fucking them up.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Watching Nightbreed Director's Cut.

I remember this movie being the coolest thing "monsters are the heroes? fuck yeah!" ever when I was a kid. Curious to see how it holds up.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

And I'd say, at least as of season eight/nine (where I'm at), they manage to turn shit into about five episodes of gold per season. And another eight or ten of...fake gold that looks okay?

I can still enjoy watching it. But seven was the wurrrrst. Walked away for a couple years after that.

Season 7 is fucking terrible. Just godawful.

But I really enjoyed 8.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    skyknyt wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »

Season 7 is fucking terrible. Just godawful.

But I really enjoyed 8.

Yup. 7 was bad enough that I walked away. On a recommendation I started 8 recently, and I've already damn near finished 9, and enjoy watching again.

It's still down from the start, but worth watching. If 7 gets you down, don't lose hope.