As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You know something I really don't miss? 1-2 minute TV show intros. I think time shifting and streaming have done more for that than anything else.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You know something I really don't miss? 1-2 minute TV show intros. I think time shifting and streaming have done more for that than anything else.

I miss them :(

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Too Many Cooks?

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The "Greatest Event in Television History" series that Adam Scott did for Adult Swim really hit home how long those title sequences were. I mean, Good Lord, Bosom Buddies' one was nearly 2 minutes long with a long spoken intro setting up the premise and then Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari running around to a cover of "My Life". All this for a sitcom about two guys disguised as women to get housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORKyyHBy6JQ

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That's my favorite sitcom intro!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Not my favorite opening but totes Miller/Boyett classic feel goodness going on.

Also Special Correspondents is not good. Bana and Gervais have good chemistry together but the story, with an interesting setup, is sloooooooooooooow, it looks super cheap and shows how cutting a lot of corners in a lot of different areas seems to have a worse impact than just cutting one major foundation in a movie (script, acting, direction, etc). This could have been a nice little Saturday Smile Movie (TM) but lack of care makes it feel bland and dull. It's still not as bad as The Invention of Lying, which will be the worst thing Gervais ever does ever ever.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Hay everybody, it's a new month!

These are some new Netflix adds, outside of some returning classics like Adventures In Babysitting & The Burbs & Zoolander:

-A.C.O.D. (decent movie)
    -Admiral (good movie)
    -Barnyard
    -Bring It On (!)
    -The Core
    -Fantastic Four ('05)
    -Get Over It
    -Great Expectations
    -Just Friends
    -MI III
    -Pleasantville
    -The Sandlot (!)
    -Sixteen Candles
    -South Park: BLU
    -There Will Be Blood
    -Varsity Blues
    -We Were Soldiers

• Options
    The more I watch Archer the more convinced I become that the show's creative hook is "What if the Soviet Union won the cold war." It's the simplest way I have of explaining all the major differences in it's universe.

• Options
    There's a show up on Netflix now from the UK/BBC3 called Fried, which is this really weak attempt at a Channel 4 type show similar to The Inbetweeners or PhoneShop. It's a diverse cast of unfunny people working at a KFC knockoff in a small town where everyone is stupid and unlikable because they're all the BBC focus group approved safe PC stereotypes. Nerdy white guy ginger? Check. Sassy older black lady? Check. Arab girl with attitude who is always on her phone but is smart and the crush of the nerdy white guy? Check. Effeminate creepy scrawny white guy assistant manager who is plotting to take over as boss like a knockoff of Gareth Edwards? Check. Scrawny Indian guy who dresses up in the chicken costume and thinks he's more of player than he really is? Super check. And overweight middle aged white lady being the straightman to all the hijinks, of course. It's the Planeteers of unfunniness that expects to get a pass at being unfunny because it's a got a diverse cast and that's as bad as dumb fat guy being married to super attractive wife sitcoms.

What the fuck BBC, you've gotten really bad with comedy in recent years.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Colanut wrote: »
    So, I can't remember if it was in this thread or another, there were questions about a US Revolutionary War show as told from the British perspective. After two seasons of Turn, I have to say at this point I have more sympathy for the British [characters]. For some reason I really like watching/listening to Simcoe, and Hewlett seems to be the only character with depth or background.

Not related, I'm so happy with Z Nation. In two seasons they did more than Walking Dead every has. Hurry up season 3. But then I'm just mad waiting for WD season 6 to show up.

I couldn't get past ep 1 of Z Nation. Assuming it gets much better?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    So, I can't remember if it was in this thread or another, there were questions about a US Revolutionary War show as told from the British perspective. After two seasons of Turn, I have to say at this point I have more sympathy for the British [characters]. For some reason I really like watching/listening to Simcoe, and Hewlett seems to be the only character with depth or background.

Not related, I'm so happy with Z Nation. In two seasons they did more than Walking Dead every has. Hurry up season 3. But then I'm just mad waiting for WD season 6 to show up.

Yeah, I was baffled by how cheeseball it was. I can understand a reaction to Walking Dead's grimdarkness, but that shit looked Asylum-level bad.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Oh wow, there is a remake of Danger Mouse up. I enjoyed the original way back in the day. I'm glad the character is still around.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Oh wow, there is a remake of Danger Mouse up. I enjoyed the original way back in the day. I'm glad the character is still around.

I watched the first episode. It was appropriately ridiculous. I'm cautiously optimistic for a remake of Count Duckula.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

At a certain point, it embraces it's own stupidity. It never actually becomes a good show though.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular

At a certain point, it embraces it's own stupidity. It never actually becomes a good show though.

I wouldn't say it gets better, as Dabble says. I think that is why I enjoyed it. A good break from the serious. It does get sillier as it goes until it doesn't care, and that can be alright. Importantly for me it didn't seem to drag. Or if it did, not badly as some shows can.

• Options
    I know it has a dedicated thread but I just burned through Archer Season 5 and that was a dud of a season. Outside of the last three or four episodes it just wasn't as funny as it was, and Lana keeps getting more annoying. Good thing Pam stayed awesome and got better because of all that cocaine though.

• Options
    Ok two things for new Netflix sign in via the webpage:

1) the new sign in is weird, asking for an e-mail address first, then sending a link to the email as a way to sign in on top of the next page being the password sign in, as opposed to just leaving the sign-in with email and password by itself so wham bam I'm logged in. If this is a test market thingy it's streets behind. When you don't have your computer set up to keep cookies or history or are used to signing out, this can pile up a bunch unnecessary log-in link emails in your inbox.

2) Netflix keeps asking me for a phone number upon signing in with the webpage, I don't want to give it (very Google-ish), is there any way to disable this?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Ok two things for new Netflix sign in via the webpage:

1) the new sign in is weird, asking for an e-mail address first, then sending a link to the email as a way to sign in on top of the next page being the password sign in, as opposed to just leaving the sign-in with email and password by itself so wham bam I'm logged in. If this is a test market thingy it's streets behind. When you don't have your computer set up to keep cookies or history or are used to signing out, this can pile up a bunch unnecessary log-in link emails in your inbox.

2) Netflix keeps asking me for a phone number upon signing in with the webpage, I don't want to give it (very Google-ish), is there any way to disable this?

They're starting two-factor authentication. The email thing is weird, and I'd guess it's something that will go away when they work the kinks out (only email once per device). But you should definitely enter a phone number for password recovery.

IMHO, of course.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Or don't if you don't want to.

I think you just have to dismiss it a bunch to make it go away forever.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I just rewatched Small Soldiers for the first time since I saw it in theatres at 11 years old.

Surprisingly it holds up! I was super surprised when the first character onscreen is Tobias Motherfucking Funke.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I just rewatched Small Soldiers for the first time since I saw it in theatres at 11 years old.

Surprisingly it holds up! I was super surprised when the first character onscreen is Tobias Motherfucking Funke.

Oh man, I remember that flick, wonder if it's on Canadian, hearing it hold up just makes me happy tho, gonna have to dig it up.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I rewatched that in high school and had my mind blown that they were able to get a Led Zeppelin song in it, I assumed those songs are really expensive to license.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I agree and disagree. It is always tongue in cheek and definitely knows what it is for sure.

That said, I actually ended up in a spot where I was enjoying it more than TWD. The world is incredibly silly at times but the characters themselves are always consistent.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

I agree and disagree. It is always tongue in cheek and definitely knows what it is for sure.

That said, I actually ended up in a spot where I was enjoying it more than TWD. The world is incredibly silly at times but the characters themselves are always consistent.

I can see that. Granted I don't like TWD either. I'm obviously not the target audience, hah.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can't actually remember what kept me watching beyond the first episode as I tend to bounce off shows and it definitely started off as incredibly silly.

Around the mid point of S1 though some crazy shit goes down and I was hooked from there. TWD's characters have so much plot armor (on the show). That does not exist in Z Nation.

• Options
    Netflix is going to make a TV series based on the movie Dear White People. Which is a shame because that was one of the worst, most pretentious movies of the last decade that is at best a poorly copied version of Do The Right Thing.

This is probably my fault, I kept saying stop giving Aziz Ansari comedy specials so you just twisted the knife just to watch me wince and now I have to get physical therapy from former Weather Girl Jackie Denardo.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Netflix is going to make a TV series based on the movie Dear White People. Which is a shame because that was one of the worst, most pretentious movies of the last decade that is at best a poorly copied version of Do The Right Thing.

This is probably my fault, I kept saying stop giving Aziz Ansari comedy specials so you just twisted the knife just to watch me wince and now I have to get physical therapy from former Weather Girl Jackie Denardo.

It is oddly enjoyable watching you slowly collapse on occasion.

Read that in James Spader's voice for the best effect.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    I'll take that collapse as long as I can drag the multitude of strawmen that will litter Dear White People's production set.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

These are some new Netflix adds, outside of some returning classics like Adventures In Babysitting & The Burbs & Zoolander:

If you don't already own the Arrow Blu-Ray of The Burbs, I'm honestly not sure what you're doing with your life. Step it up. Like, to the streets.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »

If you don't already own the Arrow Blu-Ray of The Burbs, I'm honestly not sure what you're doing with your life. Step it up. Like, to the streets.

Ah, yes. My favorite movie. Step It Up.

Or it's sequel, Step It Up to the Road

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    I know it's physical and not digital talk, but how much stuff is in The Burbs Blu-Ray?

I've been wanting to make my own TexiKen collection (better than Criterion's overblown overrated collection) which means only the best movies I physically own on Blu-Ray, and if they gave it the love of say The Ghostbusters DVD release that would be worthwhile to add. Put it right next to Olympus Has Fallen and Layer Cake.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    It's fairly decent;

Stolen from Fangoria:
    Arrow Films have specialized in treating forgotten genre gems with remarkable care for years and they’ve really pulled out the stops for THE BURBS. Their HD transfer is absolutely beautiful, capturing the heightened colors and lurid details of the cinematography and art direction in a way no other home video edition has come close to. The sound mix is also crisply clear, particularly Jerry Goldsmith’s playfully diverse score that bounces out of speakers like never before. However, it’s the overflowing special features section where Arrow has spoiled starved BURBS fans the most. Things kick off with a full feature length documentary that shares more details about THE BURBS’ production than anyone has heard in 20 years. Sadly, Hanks, Fisher, and Dern weren’t involved, but pretty well everyone else who helped make THE BURBS and is still alive pops up to share fond memories about the production.

Next up, Arrow managed to get a rare workprint cut of the film from Dante’s personal VHS collection. It can be watched in it’s entirety, or in a 30 minute feature highlighting the differing scenes and sequences (with an optional Dante commentary). There’s added improv, a deleted subplot about Hanks losing his job, a new alternate ending, and best of all the original extended dream sequence featuring even more of Dante’s Bava-inspired horror surrealism and a cameo from Kevin McCarthy. Film score fans will also get a kick out of the fact that the workprint features Dante’s temp track full of Bernard Hermann, Danny Elfman, and Ennio Morricone cuts that Goldsmith played with in wonderful ways.

Things wrap up with a sweetly nostalgic commentary from screenwriter Dana Olsen and HD transfers of the trailer and alternate ending from the old BURBS DVD. Overall, it’s a spectacular Blu-ray package for a movie that richly deserves it. Anyone with a sweet tooth for Dante needs to pick it up immediately and bask in all the BURBS–ian glory. It’s been quite a long journey for this film from mild box office hit to beloved cult oddity and this Arrow Blu-ray cements THE BURBS’ place in cult movie history with style

There might be other Blu-Ray editions too, so have a look at the features if you're shopping around.

TL;DR: Full length documentary (No Hanks, though..). alternate cut, decent feature on alternate cut with Dante commentary option, some deleted scene stuff that's pretty cool, and a fairly nice commentary and features from the old DVD (the alternate ending, etc).

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Has the "not interested" button disappeared from the main webpage?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having problems watching arrested development the last few weeks? Every other show I try is fine but arrested can barely play seconds at a time without freezing

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Is anyone else having problems watching arrested development the last few weeks? Every other show I try is fine but arrested can barely play seconds at a time without freezing

Same thing used to happen to me with Parks and Rec. Other shows would load fine, but Parks would barely run.

• Options
    A new Netflix series debuted this evening, Marseilles. It's their first French original series (and seems to actually be a Netflix thing, not aired first in frenchland and then an "original" like some other stuff). First episode was pretty good, it is basically like House of Cards and season two of The Wire put together, with Gerard Dapperdoo as the mayor of Marseilles who is retiring after 20 years, only his protege replacement has started to become this power hungry GDB who gets a little too big for his britches before the final election, and each of them has their own demons and skeletons with various mobs in the city.

Visually it looks as good as House of Cards or Marco Polo does and seems to have a better budget (or it's used to greater effect), and is just a nice thriller type show. It does seem like they're going to go some cliched routes such as the mayor's hawt daughter will probably fall in love with minority guy from the barrios who is from the wrong side but has a heart of gold *jerkoff motion automatically activates i'm sorry for that*, and there's some straight up stupid hair in this show (the protege to the mayor is like 45 but has frosted hair like he's in a 90's boy band), and they do speak french which is just ew, everyone speak english for God's sake, but I think it's gonna bring something worthwhile to Netflix's repertoire.

• Options
    Come on Netflix. Get your shit together. That's 3 movies I've started watching before realizing I had already seen on this very service. I don't expect a perfect record of where I left off 3 years ago, but at least tell me I've seen this already.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Woo! Edge of Tomorrow,starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt is up on Canadian netflix

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Woo! Edge of Tomorrow,starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt is up on Canadian netflix

Edge of Tomorrow so much better than I expected, definitely worth a watch.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Edge of Tomorrow so much better than I expected, definitely worth a watch.

I went for Tom Cruise, and stayed for Emily Blunt.