As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and Streaming Thread: anime need not apply

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    So I got Showtime on PS4 Hulu for Penny Dreadful, and, now that I finished it, want to catch up on Shameless Season 6.

It is not there. Now, I seem to recall that Season 5 appeared late on the PS4 Hulu app as well. This is annoying, because now I have to either figure out how to watch it on my desktop or wait for SHO to get their act together. I'm further reminded that there still isn't a PS4 HBO Now app and can't watch GoT.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Voltron is pretty great.

I'm not 100% on board with some of the redesigns, but the story makes up for it.

Pidge was pretty obvious if you pay attention to the voice.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Voltron is pretty great.

I'm not 100% on board with some of the redesigns, but the story makes up for it.

My daughter literally called Pidge being a girl the second she first appeared on-screen. I tried to play it off, and went, "What? That's a boy." And she would have none of it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Voltron is pretty great.

That voice stuff only goes so far in animation though as actors portraying the opposite sex isn't exactly uncommon there.

Still Volton did a good job of being Voltron-y while being more than just a rehash.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Was looking up some other cartoons that I could stream along with Voltron to add to my Saturday Morning Cartoon lineup, and realized the Avatar: the last airbender isn't free with Amazon prime anymore, and neither is the last season of Korra (first three are). Also the remake of thundercats isn't free on any of the big three streaming services.

This is very disappointing. I might just have to settle for Transformers prime and one of the yugioh's (never watched all of 5'D).

LostNinja on
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Yeah, add me to the list of those that loved the new Voltron. My only complaints are that they didn't reuse the original theme at all, which others have mentioned, and that the season was unexpectedly short. Aside from the first episode, they were only half hour episodes and it only went to 11, 12 if you count the first one as 2.

Most of the old 80's cartoons don't hold up well at all, and the few other reboots I've sampled didn't do much for me, but this was surprisingly well done, and thoroughly enjoyable even for me in my mid-thirties.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I've been watching this Border Security show on Netflix that takes place in Australia, pretty good background show. All sort of follow the same path (suspicious person, person trying to smuggle food, suspicious package x rayed) but it's much more like the old BBC show Airport than something on say, Discovery or reality channel on cable TV. Some of the ways the people try to smuggle in drugs is innovative and worth it's own series (the cardboard tube that a roll of fabric was on was actually thin paper rolled around small plastic tubes filled with cocaine).

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    not sure when, but I just noticed netflix has the full Quantum Leap series available. Which is pretty cool!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    not sure when, but I just noticed netflix has the full Quantum Leap series available. Which is pretty cool!

Oddly its still missing S2E2.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Probably a 3 second clip of music that the rights are tied up at 15 different places.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    oh, boo

I assumed the episode numbers shown were internal, and so I just cross-referenced the end points with the wiki list. Oh, well - it's still a significant improvement.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

Did they finally get the rights to the series finale?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Apparently an 8th season of Psych exists and is on Netflix.
    I demand to know who is responsible for not informing me of this.
    Heads will roll!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Oh man, Bill Nye the Science Guy is on Netflix!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

He really needs a new show too. His audiobook book Undeniable made me realize just how much I love that guy.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

He really needs a new show too. His audiobook book Undeniable made me realize just how much I love that guy.

He's on Star Talk an awful lot. Almost every episode has a few minutes from him at the end, and some are complete Bill Nye episodes.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I haven't been keeping up with the Chelsea show but going through my continue watching list it looks like she already missed a day in the 3-day schedule, only doing two episodes last week.

Also Fundamentals of Caring is the newest Netflix original movie with Paul Rudd, it's average but loses a good amount of points for how blatantly emotionally manipulative it attempts to be the whole time. I wanted to compare it to Neon Demon but that film hasn't shown up yet on Amazon when I thought that was the dealio.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I haven't been keeping up with the Chelsea show but going through my continue watching list it looks like she already missed a day in the 3-day schedule, only doing two episodes last week.

Also Fundamentals of Caring is the newest Netflix original movie with Paul Rudd, it's average but loses a good amount of points for how blatantly emotionally manipulative it attempts to be the whole time. I wanted to compare it to Neon Demon but that film hasn't shown up yet on Amazon when I thought that was the dealio.

Oh, man, I saw Neon Demon in the theater yesterday. Refn's trolling us pretty hard, there. It's like if Lars von Trier had a sense of humor.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Veep ended kind of bleh, the whole season just felt so dated with the recount and drawing out the congress vote. The whole subplot with the daughter felt out of the blue and bad, and I just don't know how it's getting another season when it would have ended decently in terms of series structure with the last episode.

Silicon Valley however keeps its throne as the best show on TV, and is superb when it comes to keeping you on your feet with endings and story plots. They've done more excellent misdirects in three seasons than most shows combined. Can't wait for season 4, and I hope at the very end it's all down to Jian Yang to save the day.

And speaking of Silicon Valley's brilliance and prescience, Netflix unveiled a new logo for apps that makes it feel like Netflix after dark:

160620175929-netflix-logos-780x439_zpslfqvndja.jpg

keep going backwards with the log IMO, but at the very least it should tie in the "flix" part of the name by making the "N" be made of red film

TexiKen on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Yeah, the old logo looks warm and makes me think of families gathering on a sofa to watch a movie, the new logo looks both like a crossed out equal sign (making me think yes to hate) and sort of like someone saying no to legs?

Definite downgrade, and I'm not sure adding film to it would solve it. I think the | | need to be spread out more.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I actually kind of like it.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Yeah, the old logo looks warm and makes me think of families gathering on a sofa to watch a movie, the new logo looks both like a crossed out equal sign (making me think yes to hate) and sort of like someone saying no to legs?

Definite downgrade, and I'm not sure adding film to it would solve it. I think the | | need to be spread out more.

"No To Legs" is our new slogan.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

"No To Legs" is our new slogan.

Hmm, that does make sense for a service that makes money out of people staying in and sitting down...

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That's the app logo, right? In other words, that thing that is meant to be seen in about a 3/4" square on a phone, if not smaller?

Yeaaah. Adding a ton of detail to that is a really bad idea. I've seen a lot of shift towards iconography-based app logos recently, things that are universally tied to their brand. It's a fairly smart move. I'm sure the making it look like film thing was discussed, but again the level of detail would be hard to pull off. I mean, just look at their favicon (The symbol that appears on a browser tab when you visit netflix.com). It's the same logo, and there is no way a film -like design would show up as legible.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Oitb wow... what a season
    Susane killed a kid!
    Poussey got Eric Garnered by a 12 year old!
    Millie is of to Psyk for selling coffee illegally.
    Chapman is Hitler (anyone notice we no longer see her parents or ex?)

Questions:
    Why did Daya "go bad"?
    What was the crime of the hairy lady that invented the stink method (sorry, can't remember her name)?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oitb wow... what a season
    Susane killed a kid!
    Poussey got Eric Garnered by a 12 year old!
    Millie is of to Psyk for selling coffee illegally.
    Chapman is Hitler (anyone notice we no longer see her parents or ex?)

Questions:
    Why did Daya "go bad"?
    What was the crime of the hairy lady that invented the stink method (sorry, can't remember her name)?
    Blanca (the Dominican lady with the wild hair)- I don't think we know yet what she's in for, unless it was mentioned in an earlier season.

I suspect it was probably something to do with the horrible old lady she was caretaking, and probably shortly after she started asserting herself. In the first season she's still in touch with Diablo, even sending him dirty pictures from prison.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

My son is ten, which means Nye has never had a show on television in his lifetime. Despite that, he and his friends all love Bill Nye. I guess they use clips of his show at school.

• Options
    Asharad wrote: »

My son is ten, which means Nye has never had a show on television in his lifetime. Despite that, he and his friends all love Bill Nye. I guess they use clips of his show at school.

My middle school science teachers loved showing them. Granted this was back when they recorded them live on VHS....

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I have an older toshiba TV with built in Netflix streaming. Really no reason to replace the thing it's large and gets the job done for the most part.

But damn it I cannot find a way to force HD streaming to it. The video quality just drops so drastically sometimes that I go watch things on my computer instead. It's really frustrating. The interface is outdated as heck. But a better Netflix app is not a good reason to buy a new tv.

Am I alone in this?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I have an older toshiba TV with built in Netflix streaming. Really no reason to replace the thing it's large and gets the job done for the most part.

But damn it I cannot find a way to force HD streaming to it. The video quality just drops so drastically sometimes that I go watch things on my computer instead. It's really frustrating. The interface is outdated as heck. But a better Netflix app is not a good reason to buy a new tv.

Am I alone in this?

You could get a firestick for like $35 or whatever, and those work pretty ok if you don't mind having to use yet another remote.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Chelsea rapped on snapchat that it's the summer schedule. Two episodes a week. Back to three in a few months.

She is pretty damn funny on snapchat. Plus her dogs are there all the time and they're my favorite thing on Netflix.

That's not a euphemism for her breast. Which she has indeed snapped for funsies.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redx wrote: »

Am I alone in this?

You could get a firestick for like $35 or whatever, and those work pretty ok if you don't mind having to use yet another remote.

I actually got off of my couch and pulled up a chair in front of the TV for a night scene. There were account settings that I changed but it doesn't seem to have helped.

The firestick is a good idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Decided to brush up on some Stanley Kubrick, as I had never seen any of his movies aside from The Shining. LTTP and all, but I wanted to share some thoughts:

1. A Clockwork Orange: You know what I really miss in movies? Restraint: the ability and maturity to skillfully cut away from explicit imagery that serves no purpose than to nauseate your senses. Clockwork Orange has rape and torture and "ultra violence", but it's also smart enough not to show all of it in explicit detail, because no amount of gore shots and sexual violence can ever match up to how those scenarios play in your head. It's the same reason I appreciate any horror story that makes a point to never show the monster in vivid detail.

Not a whole lot to say about ACO; it's weird and not nearly as subtle as Kubrick's other stuff, but it still gets kudos for managing to make you sympathize with a monstrous piece of shit, where his punishment is both entirely deserved and yet also existentially cruel. The ending is a bit "Wait, that's it?", even more so than 2001, but it still fits to some extent.

2. Full Metal Jacket: Probably my favorite Kubrick movie after The Shining so far. I appreciate war movies that don't beat you over the head with messages or symbolism: FMJ just tells it like it is, and doesn't have you rooting for any particular character or side. It's just a depiction of ugly, depraved human behavior.

3. 2001 A Space Odyssey: And here's the big one. The movie that inspired a generation of JRPGs, A****, and Simpsons references. On a technical scale, it's astounding. The camerawork, the visuals, the music...you'd have to really squint to find anything that feels old in this movie. As sci-fi presentation goes, it holds up better than Star Wars. The imagery is some of the most iconic and really manages to leave a deep feeling in your gut.

But it's also boring as fuck. Yes, I know, the slow pacing is entirely deliberate, and I do appreciate that to some extent. But as a movie to watch after work, it took about four attempts to stay awake. I get the whole "we purposely made these characters act lifeless" concept for storytelling, but it rarely ever works for me. I understand this movie could never be made today, but I'm not saying I prefer the rapid quick-cuts and overblown reactions of today's movies to this. I just feel if it was an hour shorter, the movie would have been perfect.

I also kind of wish I could go back in time and see how late 60's audiences would react to the ending. Weird ass endings are commonplace these days, but back then that probably sparked more theater-filled vocal quips than the ending to Inception.

So that's my two cents. Still like Shining the best, Kubrick nerds please don't be too brutal.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I love A Clockwork Orange, but unfortunately the movie is based on the American version of the book which left out the final chapter from the original, and thus it has an ending which IMO is terrible and misses out on the point of the original ending.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I love A Clockwork Orange, but unfortunately the movie is based on the American version of the book which left out the final chapter from the original, and thus it has an ending which IMO is terrible and misses out on the point of the original ending.

I read about that, and I think I agree that the story was better off without it. It sounds even more anticlimactic than the movie's ending.
    "Eh, I outgrew being a psychotic murderer/rapist. Much in the way one outgrows He-Man action figures."

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    That's an insanely simplified view of the ending, but if that's your view of it, sure.

To me, the movie's ending of "Yeah, they cured me alright" felt like a wink to the type of viewer who might've liked the horrible things Alex did earlier in the story. Like oh snap, he's gonna go back to raping!

The original ending shows us Alex 3 years later, but realizing he's not getting excited by his old mischief. He runs into one of his former droogs, who is married and settled down, and he starts to imagine that kind of life.

He gets bored of being violent and realizes that he needs to spend his energy on creation rather than destruction.

If your view is that people can't change, and that a teenager doing awful things like they did must be broken psychopaths with no hope of change, then I can see your view. But if you accept that in fact there are people who have done what Alex did and worse in life and then changed, not escaping what they did but merely choosing to become something more instead of wasting their lives, then you start to understand the original ending of the book.

I'd suggest reading the book if you really want to get the story, because the movie portrays the entire story with much less subtlety out of necessity since it's just a 2 hour movie and not a book.

• Options
    I mean, both endings are entirely too convenient for me, so it's not like I love one particularly more than the other.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Was hoping all the Lethal Weapons, BttFs, and the new Wynona Ryder show would pop up on Netflix today =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Enthused about the new season of Marco Polo... I am one of the few that liked the first season.