As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trip to Washington D.C!

tomisboredtomisbored Cavalier, NDRegistered User regular
Hello again! I had such great luck with a post forever ago about advice for Disney World/Florida vacation, I thought I would try again.

I am heading to Washington D.C from May 28-31 With my wife and 9 year old daughter. I was hoping for some first hand knowledge on what you thought was the best museums, attractions, and eats for your time? We will have all of Friday and Saturday to tour. I am thinking we are sticking pretty close to the national mall but willing to hop on a subway to any where cool. I know the munchkin really wants to go to the zoo, how big is it and how much time should I set aside for it? Is it an all day kinda thing?

Its been 10 years since I was there so I don't really know whats open on what days? Did they finish the WWII monument/park? that was just breaking grounds when I was there so I assume it has?

Any helpful hints/suggestions/pointers/places to get discounts would be greatly appreciated!

A magician wandered along the beach, but no one needed him.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Kids usually love the Museum of Natural History, because dinosaurs, and Air & Space Museum, because space ships. Both are free too.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The National Zoo is on the Metro, so you can get there by subway. I recommend going there right at opening - one, the zookeepers will be feeding the animals and are usually happy to answer questions, and two, you'll be done by noon, when the zoo is getting full, and thus you can beat the crowds.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Are you staying at a place near the mall or somewhere further out?

Honestly you can easily spend both days at the National Mall. Between all the outdoor sights and the free Smithsonian museums there's tons of stuff to see with loads of good restaurants nearby too. My personal favorite is the American History museum just because of the sheer range of different topics covered. From food to cars to clothes and so on.

As for the zoo if you're near the mall it's a short metro ride to there on the red line and then about three blocks walking. It's fairly sizable and I'd set aside a couple hours for actually seeing everything. Also strongly recommend getting there when they open as they get packed fast.

As for food I'm a fan of District of Pi, Elephant and Castle, and Lincoln's Waffle Shop.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Air and space is good, the spy museum is awesome. Lincoln cottage tour is great as well. For food bens chilli bowl is a regional specialty (half smoke cash only). Go to G&M or Timbuktu for a maryland crab cake. Take trip up to Annapolis. It is a cool area.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    A couple suggestions thet my brother in law gave us when we visited him there that go beyond the usual attractions:

1. Grab some takeout or picnic type food and rent a canoe on the river and just enjoy the whole experience and views from the river. It's pretty great.

2. On the road near Reagan airport there is this little parking area. Go there and hang out while airplanes make their approach to land. A lot of fun for kids. Or adults who are fascinated with landing airplanes (me).

And for the zoo, definitely get in in the morning for feeding. You want to see those pandas in their most active state then too. Completely worth it (it's freaking free!).

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    If you're going to the Smithsonian the American Indian Museum is pretty good. Plus, there's a food court in the basement that has "stores" from each geographic region- buffalo meat from the Plains tribes, fish from the Pacific Northwest, etc. It's pretty neat but on the pricey side.

The National Air and Space Museum is very cool. The National Zoo can be done in a morning or an afternoon; it's not that big. You can reach Arlington National Cemetery via the Metro.

If you've got the scratch I highly recommend doing a Segway tour in the evening if your daughter's old enough.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Kids usually love the Museum of Natural History, because dinosaurs, and Air & Space Museum, because space ships. Both are free too.

FYI, the Dinosaur exhibit is closed until 2019!

• Options
    ThunderSaidThunderSaid Registered User regular
    Here are two tips about the zoo (which you should definitely visit):

1) If you take the metro, get off at the Cleveland Park stop. Woodley Park is the stop that most people get off at (since it's called "Woodley Park - Zoo" on most of the Metro maps), but Cleveland Park is the same distance away, and the walk from there is flat. The walk from Woodley Park is uphill. When you get back on the metro, you can take the downhill walk to Woodley Park.

2) Most people think the zoo opens at 10:00, because that's when the exhibit buildings open. However, the grounds open at 6:00 and the Visitor's Center opens at 9:00. When I go with my family, I go at 8:00 on a Saturday morning. A lot of the animals are outside, and they're active early in the morning. Even better, there are basically no crowds at that point. Stroll around looking at the cheetahs, giraffes, elephants, etc. until 10:00, then hit up the indoor exhibits (reptile house, small mammal house, etc.). Your daughter will be done with the zoo right around lunch time, and you won't have to fight any crowds.

I think kids like the natural history museum the most of all the Smithsonians. Air and Space is a mad house. If you have access to a car, you can take a trip out to the Udvar-Hazy center, which is a way better experience. The newseum is OK for adults, but will bore the crap out of a kid. The spy museum is kind of the opposite - fun for a kid, but too kitschy for most adults.

If I had two days with a kid, I'd see the zoo, the natural history museum, and the Udvar-Hazy center. Then I'd pick one other thing that I thought the family as a whole could enjoy, depending on the particular family (you mentioned the WWII memorial, which could be a good option, especially since it's right by several other monuments, and could be part of a good half-day monument tour).

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    I'm going to second what Thunder said above; if you really like the Air and Space museum, but way more room, less crowds, and tons of air and space stuff Udvar-Hazy is a great place to visit. It's free just like the rest of the Smithsonians, but parking is not (it's $15, I think?).
    He's right about the Zoo and related metro stuff too.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    STAND ON THE RIGHT

• Options
    ThunderSaidThunderSaid Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    STAND ON THE RIGHT

To put this into more helpful words, when you ride an escalator or moving walkway in D.C., stand on the right side. The left side of the escalator is for walking. As a non-native, I don't understand why everyone is in such a freaking hurry that they can't relax for thirty seconds on the escalator, but that's the way it is. If you simply stand on the right, you will make everyone much happier.

• Options
    Thanks so much every one for the info! The trip is going to a total surprise for my daughter and my wife has never been to D.C. So I am really excited for this trip! Thanks for all the advice about the zoo and museums! Is there anything outside of the National mall besides the air and space "hanger" that you would consider a can't miss?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    tomisbored wrote: »
    Thanks so much every one for the info! The trip is going to a total surprise for my daughter and my wife has never been to D.C. So I am really excited for this trip! Thanks for all the advice about the zoo and museums! Is there anything outside of the National mall besides the air and space "hanger" that you would consider a can't miss?

Well, there's one place, but I'm not sure your daughter is quite old enough to handle it - the Holocaust Museum. That said, if you do take her, note that some exhibits are only viewable through a porthole that is above child height. This is done for a reason.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Well, there's one place, but I'm not sure your daughter is quite old enough to handle it - the Holocaust Museum. That said, if you do take her, note that some exhibits are only viewable through a porthole that is above child height. This is done for a reason.
    That is a well done museum but it is so depressing.

The spy museum. I have been 3 times. It costs some money (bout 20 bucks a person), but is just great, and there is a good burger joint (Shake Shack) 2 doors down. It's not really near the national mall.

Also when you are planning, keep in mind the national mall and all the museums look really close together on a map, but it is a long walk. If your kiddo is only good for 4 or 5 miles of walking. The mall will seam a bit deceptive, because going from the national mall metro stop, to the Lincoln memorial and back to the metro stop is going to be 3 miles. It's a really long ass, but pretty walk. Make sure the account for that.

zepherin on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Library of Congress is cool and the Botanical Gardens are right on the mall!

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    STAND ON THE RIGHT

As a non-native, I don't understand why everyone is in such a freaking hurry that they can't relax for thirty seconds on the escalator, but that's the way it is.

Because we got places to be! And the stupid yellow line train is about to pull in and those only come every 17 minutes (+ or - a geological epoc) so get outa the way ya freakin escalump.

@tomisbored Hey man you and your family will have a great time DC is full of great stuff and super nice people.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    If you have a car, and are into nature stuff check out the Arboretum. I've taken my daughter (also 9), a few times already and its always a nice fun day. The National Harbor I hear is pretty neat (we are going this weekend, so I'll let you know more from that). Awesomecon is going on that weekend if that's something that is of interest to you guys as well.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Go to Shake Shack while you're there if you've never been to one. There's one right next to the Spy Museum.

Everyone else pretty much covered them but let me reiterate the zoo and at the very least the museum of natural history and the air & space museum.

National Harbor is pretty neat. There are some neat shops and restaurants though both air fairly pricey.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    My favorite off the beaten path museum in DC has got to be the Building Museum. The building itself is cool, and the exhibits they have are always something interesting and not what you would normally expect. Check it out, I dare you!

Here's their current exhibits page (note the two kids exhibits): http://www.nbm.org/exhibitions-collections/current-exhibitions.html

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Ben's is totally worth the trip. I visit every time I'm in DC for work. The people there are really nice, and the dogs and chili are worth the hype. Get a half smoke and a bowl of chili. Also great milkshakes.

The Fogo de Chão in DC is really good, though it's a chain. I don't really have much to recommend in the way of kid friendly stuff unfortunately. There's a spot called the H Street Country Club (on, you guessed it, H Street) that has indoor DC themed minigolf, but I'm pretty sure that's 21+ regardless of when you go.

Taylor Gourmet makes some of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten. So if you like sandwiches, keep 'em in mind. I've only been to the H Street one, but I think they've expanded.

I also go to a place called Granville Moore's on, you guessed it, H Street every time I'm in DC. They serve the best mussels I've ever eaten, and a crazy selection of Belgian beer. Again, not that kid friendly. I just really really really like it.

Oh I also eat a silly amount of food from pret a manger every time I'm there, but that's mostly because we don't have one in SF :(

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Yea I went to the holocaust museum when I was in my early 20's that was a rough day... Amazing museum I just wasn't ready for all the feels. I wouldn't mind going back but I don't think the kido is quite ready to handle it. She came home crying this year just learning about it in class. The wife wants to go though so maybe we will go to something else while she is in there? If I remember right isn't the national mint near by?
    Ringo wrote: »
    My favorite off the beaten path museum in DC has got to be the Building Museum. The building itself is cool, and the exhibits they have are always something interesting and not what you would normally expect. Check it out, I dare you!

Here's their current exhibits page (note the two kids exhibits): http://www.nbm.org/exhibitions-collections/current-exhibitions.html

That seems super cool!
    Radiation wrote: »
    If you have a car, and are into nature stuff check out the Arboretum. I've taken my daughter (also 9), a few times already and its always a nice fun day. The National Harbor I hear is pretty neat (we are going this weekend, so I'll let you know more from that). Awesomecon is going on that weekend if that's something that is of interest to you guys as well.

Awesomecon seems... Awesome? I wish I would have know of it sooner, I would have booked some more time down there... oh well I think I will wait and have my daugthers first con be my first PAX as well.

Thanks again to every one for the great tips. I think we are going to do one day just putzing around the mall and the next day hitting specific museums.

Can any one speak to using uber around the mall? or even just the buses?

tomisbored on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Uber is definitely the way to go. DC cabs have upped their game a little bit, but uber is worth it.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu