As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

does anybody have interesting family history?

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Decomposey wrote: »
    My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother is a Disney Princess.
    f0926d23-1133-4404-81c2-68151e6ccc69.jpg

Which means you're related to a girl I went to school with, and Nancy Reagan.

It was 11 generations ago, I'm pretty sure I'm related to ALOT of people. :)

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    My great-great-great-grandfather stowed away on a boat from Sweden. Don't know much about him, except his son (my great-great-grandfather) was probably illegitimate.

The aforementioned great-great-grandfather was shot in self-defense by his son, my great-great-uncle. It even made the paper.
    sdcilub99ffv.jpg
    30z8oy1suqmg.jpg

Maybe don't click that spoiler if drunken, abusive moonshiners could set off any triggers.

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother is a Disney Princess.
    f0926d23-1133-4404-81c2-68151e6ccc69.jpg

Which means you're related to a girl I went to school with, and Nancy Reagan.

It was 11 generations ago, I'm pretty sure I'm related to ALOT of people. :)

Oh, I know! I'm just constantly entertained at the sheer disparity of people related directly to Pocahontas

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Two ancestors were almost hanged in Salem during the witch trials, but the neighbors stuck up for them and they got off.
    One of my great-grandfathers was captain of a B-17. I remember him pulling a hunk of metal out of a drawer and talking about the first raid over Berlin. "This is shrapnel that punched through the side of the plane and fell in my lap. We'd lost two engines and the gunners in the back were all dead, but we made it back alive."

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    My supposed family history, its veracity is not certified
    The legend of the person who was the founder of the Eyre and Ayre families, and who was supposedly previously known by the surname "Truelove" (or "True Love"), is a story that appears in genealogies. However, there is no definitive historical evidence confirming the existence of this person.
    The family legend states that he accompanied William the Conqueror to Britain during the Norman Invasion, and fought alongside him at the Battle of Hastings (14 October 1066).

When William was thrown from his horse his helmet was driven into his face, suffocating him, but Truelove was able to remove the helmet and save William's life. He suffered dearly for his bravery, sustaining an injury so severe that his entire leg had to be amputated.

After the battle William told him "thou shalt hereafter instead of Truelove be called Eyre because thou hast given me the air I breathe."[1]

Truelove the "Eyr" or "Heyr" was granted land in Derby as a reward for his services, together with a Coat of Arms featuring "a human leg in Armour couped at the thigh quarterly argent and sable spurred",[2] in reference to the sacrifice of his limb. Some of these features may persist in one of the current Eyre coats of arms, which features three gold quatrefoils on a black chevron with a white background.[3]

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm related to.

My parents?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Australia!

• Options
    Future historians are going to look at my posts and go, why does a bear agree with like 70% of his posts.

• Options
    It's like 45% at most. You wanna up your numbers you gotta talk more about honey and hibernation hotspots.

• Options
    Perth is warm nic, I don't need to talk about hibernation.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I do not have an interesting family history because we are working class, and have stayed in the same area and industry for hundreds of years.

• Options
    Oh that reminds me, I was gonna link this in the interesting thread. Fine grained genetic assay of the British isles

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/News/Media-office/Press-releases/2015/WTP058941.htm

Tl;dr - British people don't move around much, and nobody wants to marry the welsh.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Also I think having a link to the geography/land that is hundreds of years old is pretty cool.

I read a really interesting article on the LRB about the persistence of pre-Christian beliefs in the UK. Not that neo-pagan nonsense, but small local traditions and charms and symbols which predate the Romans and still get used/passed down.

tynic on
  • Options
    These are cool.

Highlander jokes aside since he died, these are my great grandfather's medals and dead man's penny.

18A07595-D89E-4FEA-843D-69D4B336BB39_zpsoluhqjm0.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My mom's side is the side that we have everything well mapped on. One of my great aunts (I think) did like a whole book of it. In the pre-internet days, which actually was pretty goddamn difficult apparently.

Anyways, I know nothing about that side of the family.

On my father's side, I'm Theodore Roosevelt's fourth cousin, four times removed, which is terribly unimpressive when you actually think about it. But my grandfather on my father's side was full blooded Italian (born in the US though), and there's a story or two about how that came to be.

My last name is unique in the United States. Or at least it used to be, I think technically there might be a few others recently. But it used to be that if you had my last name, you were directly in my family. I think there were five of us sporting it at the time? I'm the last male heir with the name, which is a weird onus that I think about sometimes.

Anyways, this name is actually pretty uncommon in Italy too. You can't really trace it back anywhere exciting. You can in fact only trace it back to one place - the small town of Senigallia, where the name is a pretty common one. Which made it pretty easy to track back my family history, as that's where my great grandfather assuredly came from.

Which brings me to my next story. My great grandfather, Breno, came to this country in 1904. His wife followed shortly after, in 1910. They were married in 1908.

That timeline might look a bit fishy to you. That's because it is! They were engaged before either of them moved to the US, but my great grandfather wanted to start a decent life here before his beloved joined him. So he did. But she had a different last name than him, and they were worried that she wouldn't be allowed through Ellis Island because of this, as an unmarried young woman. So my great grandfather's brother stood in for him at the wedding. Shortly after, she headed to America, at which point she didn't even say that she was his wife, as that, you know, also seemed incredibly suspicious. So she lied and said she was his sister.

And that's the complicated story of how my family made it to America.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Also I think having a link to the geography/land that is hundreds of years old is pretty cool.

I read a really interesting article on the LRB about the persistence of pre-Christian beliefs in the UK. Not that neo-pagan nonsense, but small local traditions and charms and symbols which predate the Romans and still get used/passed down.

god i love lrb

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    It's oddly relieving to know you're not the only one with ancestors who ran off, abandoned family one, and started family two.

Now that I think about it I guess that means my dad must have Mexican cousins he's never met.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    One of my grandfathers may have had another family? Given that side of the family id be surprised if it was just the one TBH

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If I'm remembering correctly, Clan Davidson was nearly wiped out after a battle because they fought with another clan over the right to stand in the path of English cannons because of glory or something stupid like that. Only a few survived.

There's probably more but I'd need to talk with my mom for that stuff. She's deep into the geneaology thing and has researched her family extensively. She's only just recently been able to connect a missing link in my dad's side, as in finding out about a previously unknown half-brother a couple rungs up which means a whole new branch of the Branch family (I have heard all the jokes). We did discover though that my dad's ancestors were not predominantly German as we thought, but Russian instead. Explains the general love of vodka and high alcohol tolerance in my family.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    anyway here are a few of the tragic, nefarious and mysterious articles i've been able to dig up through digital newspaper archives

1930s:

ethel_obit_zpsceqrev68.png

1912:

josepg_gaol_zpsyszz8uvm.png

1840s:

nott_witness_zpsxjz7jf1p.png

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Your ancestor stole from a man named Moses Moses?

• Options
    One of my grandfathers may have had another family? Given that side of the family id be surprised if it was just the one TBH

Hah. Imagine doing that today. Forget Maury. It'd be all over Facebook and twitter.

You'd never get away with it.

• Options
    hah, no, in that case my ancestor was the "intelligent little girl" i can find almost nothing else about

you can read about moses moses online though - sounds like he was almost as awesome as his name suggests

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    My maternal grandmother is English, as mentioned in the Interesting facts thread

Her ancestors actually went back to England from the American colonies during the revolution

My maternal great-great-grandfather continues the trend of mystery grandpas because he claimed to have come to the States from Spain, but had so little documentation of that move, or prior family, that we don't really know where he came from.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    My mother's parents met in Belgium during WWII. My grandfather was the son of Italian immigrants in America who was stationed there with the US army, my grandmother was from Antwerp and did some admin/translation work on Belgium's side. He proposed, and they planned to get married and live in Belgium after the war. My grandfather's unit was then put on a ship to head over to Pacific. Part way through the journey the bombs were dropped, and the ship was turned around straight back to America. So my grandmother headed to America to be with him and start their family in a new land.

My father's younger brother passed away in his early 20s. He had an issue with heroin, and in 1982 passed away after becoming incredibly ill. No one had a name for it yet, and the official cause of death of pneumonia, but it turned out he was one of the early victims of the AIDS epidemic in the United States before it had a name.

On a lighter note, the same uncle got thrown out of Madison Square Garden as a kid for throwing a camera at George the Animal Steele.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    The farthest I've ever been able to trace back on my dads side was to Robert Lord of Ipswich, MA. He arrived in 1634 or so, was a town clerk, and had a whole mess of kids.

Before that, it goes to England and no one has done tracking beyond that.

On my moms side no one has done any tracking. There's some name changes and odd legal stuff as I think somewhere along the line my moms ancestors illegally emigrated to Canada from what was then Czechoslovakia.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Oh that reminds me, I was gonna link this in the interesting thread. Fine grained genetic assay of the British isles

http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/News/Media-office/Press-releases/2015/WTP058941.htm

Tl;dr - British people don't move around much, and nobody wants to marry the welsh.

Well the Saxon word for Stranger is Welsh

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Hah. Imagine doing that today. Forget Maury. It'd be all over Facebook and twitter.

You'd never get away with it.

Oh, god. Watching my cousin's trash-soap-opera lives play out on facebook is bad enough. I can't imagine adding the previous two generations into the mix.

My family would have made a good Jerry Springer episode.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I'm a descendant of the original pilgrims that came over on the Mayflower. Don't know which ones exactly, my aunt has the family tree, but I do know John Alden and Priscilla Mullins (who most Mayflower descendants can trace back to).

Hello, cousin-probably-several-dozen-times-removed.

My mom's side is deeply Mormon, so our stories are very much interesting to no one else, but there was one dude called Jesse Nathaniel Smith, cousin (iirc) to the Joseph Smith. Also my grandmother's cousin's cousin is a certain Mitt Romney.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    my great uncle was the first man to shoot himself on live national television

I think it was national

edit: no it was state wide

either way, he didn't do it, so sayeth my grandpa

Hey man, nice shot?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I find this bit of family history to be interesting. I don't know any of the names, places, or dates, because then I might have to correct my beliefs, and that might be boring.
    But my understanding of the story is:

A few hundred years ago, there was a German princess. She was married off into the Russian royal family, as was the style at the time.
    As part of the wedding agreement, a town in Russia was set up for the Princess to live in. It was subject to German law, accountable to the German crown, and German was spoken there. My ancestors were bureaucrats there (the original family name was German for 'file worker' -- Fehlhauer?).
    Time goes by, and eventually the Bolshevik Revolution comes along. The Communists come to town and say (through a translator?), "Glorious Workers! We have thrown off the yoke of tyranny of the Imperialists! As comrade workers, you may stay here and join in the Revolution and stay and live in the Workers' Paradise, or you may return to your home country."
    My ancestors decided instead to go to America because????
    When they were coming through Immigration, the government intake bureaucrat said, "Fehlhauer (or whatever it was)? I can't spell that! Here, here's your new last name." (To be fair, it's not far off, and I guess the phonetic pronunciation makes it a pretty good guess)

Which is why despite my pretty strong Germanic descent, there's no family in Germany with the same surname clamoring for visits.

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my great aunt used to babysit Nancy Pelosi.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Not my family, but Andre Roussimoff (better known as Andre the Giant) used to be driven to school by his neighbour when he became too large to fit on the bus. His neighbour? Nobel Prize laureate Samuel Beckett.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    My grandmother (father's mother) worked for the second-to-last descendant of Abraham Lincoln, Mary Lincoln Beckwith, on the Hildene estate in Vermont. My dad was actually born in a building that still sits there (it was servant's quarters but has been converted to a bathroom for visitors). It wasn't a bad job and she wasn't a bad employer, but it ended due to the stupidity and general idiocy of my grandfather, a worthless drunken sot who always ruined everything for his family, but that doesn't belong in 'interesting' history.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Your ancestor stole from a man named Moses Moses?

I supposes

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    The most interesting family history I have off hand is that our cousin Rachel and her husband are the owners of Bub's Burgers in Caramel and Bloomington, IN and were featured on an episode of Man Vs Food, for for the older stuff I'll need @Fuselage

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Since it was easter recently I had the thought I know I think I inherited my Father's family's love of strange candy
    I love black liquorish
    But I only get ever so often because it's just so good

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Supposedly one of my ancestors via my dad's mother's side was one of those Hessian mercenaries that capitulated to George Washington and hung around in the states.

On my mother's father's side, their ancestor founded a county, as well as signing the Texas Declaration of Independence from Mexico and fighting in the texas revolution

So, there is that. I suspect there was probably some slavery involved, in the case of the revolutionary.

And I've got a pretty good chance at getting Dupuytren's contracture due to family history (dad) and lineage of mostly being northern European

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I know that some of my ancestors were French Acadians who managed to evade the British during Le Grand Derangement.

• Options
    Supposedly one of my ancestors via my dad's mother's side was one of those Hessian mercenaries that capitulated to George Washington and hung around in the states.

On my mother's father's side, their ancestor founded a county, as well as signing the Texas Declaration of Independence from Mexico and fighting in the texas revolution

So, there is that. I suspect there was probably some slavery involved, in the case of the revolutionary.

And I've got a pretty good chance at getting Dupuytren's contracture due to family history (dad) and lineage of mostly being northern European

*Hessian Ancestor Five*

3basnids3lf9.jpg